Clarity of the GT30 - why does my picture seem a bit blury?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question, specifically for those who own or have calibrated the gt30 (I have the 60"). My problem is this - the TV doesn't seem as clear or sharp or as "high def" as I expect. This is especially true over Fios TV and dish network (I've had both connected), but I'm also not entirely impressed with the blu-rays I've watched - Tron, Dark Knight, Elf, among others. When a scene has a closeup on someones face, the clarity is close to what I'd expect, but on scenes where they show people zoomed out a little (head to toe), it almost seems blury. Color, brightness, etc. are fine, it's just clarity. But combing through the various boards, I've NEVER seen a similar complaint.

I have had this TV for about 3 weeks now and am getting near the end of my return period. I'm freaking out a little not knowing what to do. Returning is a little bit of work since it was delivered and I have a somewhat custom setup using the supplied brackets in a custom fashion with my own stand. Every day I stare and am less impressed. I plan to go to other stores today to do some more staring at their sets. My understanding is that it should be clearer at home connected directly to my blu-ray under dim lights. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, especially on your own take on how clear your sets are. And should calibration make any noticable differnce in clarity (I'm running THX mode with the settings from CNET, and I've played around extensively with modifying them and with other modes).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Do you have the TV's HD Size setting set to HD Size 2 (which gives 1:1 pixel mapping?). That makes the image crisper than using HD Size 1.

Are you sending a 1080i or 1080p signal to the TV? Or are you sending it at 720p? I've found that forcing all my sources to output only 1080i fixed makes everything a little crisper and more detailed than when it comes through at 720p.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

I am using HD size 2. And I am forcing 1080i from fios and forcing 1080p from blu ray.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

...TV doesn't seem as clear or sharp or as "high def" as I expect. This is especially true over Fios TV and dish network...

Size seems to matter, and am not surprised to hear of "cable" tv showing softness &/or increased artifacts: we recently moved from a 50" to a 60" in our "home theater" and the 60 definitely is not as "forgiving" of program flaws as the 50" was!

Quote:

I'm also not entirely impressed with the blu-rays I've watched

That sounds more problematical: No. 2 Son has a 55" GT30 and PQ on blu-rays is Great - and they are using almost exactly the Default THX settings. "Motorcyle" sequence in Dark Knight was particularly impressive: nice deep blacks, lots of shadow detail, and clearly evident color on Joker's outfit.

Our 60" ST is not quite as impressive during that same sequence - but it is reasonably close, and certainly would NOT complain about "softness" on the blu-rays (or HD-DVDs) we've sampled thus far...
post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandz5 View Post

I am using HD size 2. And I am forcing 1080i from fios and forcing 1080p from blu ray.

The HD 2 setting isn't applicable in the full screen mode. At least not on my set. Regardless, I would recommend you set your Fios receiver to native and let your TV do all the scaling. Double scaling can introduce artifacts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21283891 (point 4)

Also, make sure your Blu-Ray player is set to 1080p rather then auto, with some players the auto setting may not pixel map as well as doing it direct.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 11 Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

The HD 2 setting isn't applicable in the full screen mode. At least not on my set. Regardless, I would recommend you set your Fios receiver to native and let your TV do all the scaling. Double scaling can introduce artifacts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21283891 (point 4)

Ian

Thanks for the info Ian. Based on some earlier research, I have 'set fios to native' on my list of things to do. I haven't determined how to do that yet. I've heard it may be available in a software update I dont yet have (1.9a).
post #7 of 11 Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandz5 View Post

Thanks for the info Ian. Based on some earlier research, I have 'set fios to native' on my list of things to do. I haven't determined how to do that yet. I've heard it may be available in a software update I dont yet have (1.9a).

Do you have an HDTV listing on your Fios receivers set up menu? If you do, that it is probably the most likely place you will find that setting.

Ian

post #8 of 11 Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
ANYTHING on cable TV, dish, or anything like, will have crappy soft blurry pictures.

If you use component cable for the blu-ray player it will give you softer (blurry) pictures.

You have to use DVI + PC and play video files off it. That is the only way it will give you clearest sharpest crispiest crunchiest pictures.

This is hilarious...
post #9 of 11 Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Oh and 1:1 pixel mapping.

LMAO
post #10 of 11 Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

ANYTHING on cable TV, dish, or anything like, will have crappy soft blurry pictures.

If you use component cable for the blu-ray player it will give you softer (blurry) pictures.

You have to use DVI + PC and play video files off it. That is the only way it will give you clearest sharpest crispiest crunchiest pictures.

This is hilarious...

Hilarious?

Since he took the trouble of going on C-Net to get help with his THX picture settings, I assume he is using HDMI. I have DTV and most HD programs are not blurry. Many of the satellite stations (non OTA) are very good and some shows like AMC's Hell On Wheels and Starz's Strike Force are close to BD quality. I would think based on the ratings, (ie: consumer reports, JD Power) that Fios would also offer similar PQ.

Ian

post #11 of 11 Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Most 1080i delivered to my Panny 65" is crisp and clear (and I am fussy). Most BD is fantastic in terms of clarity.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page