LG 60PV250 - Very Dim / Dull - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time reader, first time poster looking for some help.

Just purchased a new LG 60PV250 this past cyber Monday which arrived today. I read on a few threads that it is the same panel as the PV450, which has great reviews on Amazon etc, but I must say I was pretty disappointed within moments of turning it on.

The screen seemed SO dim that I thought it was either warming up or on stand by. I did some fiddling, turned off the energy saver feature and switched to Standard picture mode and that helped a bit but nothing drastic. The tv does not appear to be very bright and is by no means stunning. When I put my laptop screen next to the tv, it outshines it immensely, no contest.

I was hoping to get some info to see if the set itself is just dull or if anything can be done to fix this. I started watching Planet Earth to test the quality and the pure white snow appears to be a dull gray. Even turning off all the lights and watching in the dark I find myself wanting the unit to simply output more light. What gives? My previous tv was a DLP and I was anticipating a huge step up with a nice vivid plasma.

By the way for all those curious about the PV250 vs. PV450 differences, the set I received (from Dell) is not PAL and does have HDMI inputs so no need to worry about that stuff which I read elsewhere on avs and the web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please check this discussion for some settings tweak that are recommended for the 60pv250 model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1346417

I did have the same issue but with the changes and adjusting the contrast and brightness a bit it sort of looked better. Of course comparing to a LCD display like the laptop does not make sense I guess since this is a plasma and not the LED model.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Liked: 12
The difference between energy saving mode on and off should be really obvious, at least it was like that on my lg plasma (lg pw350). You're not going to get the same light output as a lcd as on a plasma because plasmas don't have backlighting.

Make sure you really have the energy saving mode off. With it on, I felt like I was watching tv with a pair of sunglasses on, with it off, it looked normal. It was basically unwatchable with energy saving on.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Make sure the intelligent sensor is off along with the energy saver mode. Plasmas don't offer the light output of a LCD or CRT, it's something you'll have to get use to. It's really hard to tell in the stores as vivid modes on LCDs use only 50 to 60% of their brightness and picture controls while a plasma will have the brightness, picture, dynamic contrast setting, and color all maxed out.

I also had a LG Plasma, the LG 50" 50PV450 and I didn't care for it's picture quality. It's list was $899.99 so it was fairly cheap for what it was. I returned it and replaced it with a LG 47" LED LCD 47LW5600 and just love this TV, but it lists for $1699.99. I was lucky enough to get the 47LW5600 for only $100 more than the 50PV450.

I consider myself a videophile as I nit pick picture quality characterics quite a bit. I went through several CRT TVs with my last purchase back in 2000, before I found a TV I loved, the JVC 36" AV-36D302. Luckily it only took 2 TVs this round.

One thing I found is with the LG plasma, it requires a very dark room with lamps to the extreme sides of it, not within it's screen reflective view. Since my television is situated in a 'living room' and not a dedicated basement 'home theater', a LCD offers the best picture quality in my home. I have 3 lamps and a picture window 4/5ths the size of the wall it's on. Even at dark, with only 1 extreme side lamp on, it's picture is not as dynamic or vivid as the LED LCD, but then again, this LED LCD is a top of the line model while the 50PV450 is a mid level plasma. You may want to try Panasonic Plasmas or a higher end LG plasma, or go to a LED LCD TV with local dimming.

Good luck with finding a TV that works for you.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do the initial setup using the Picture Wizard. It should save to Expert1.

Now go into the Expert1 menu and then scroll down to and enter Expert Control menu. Scroll down and change White Balance to Cool.

VoilÃ*, LED bright whites!

Now if that doesn't work, you might just have a bad set. I got a bad LG plasma last year that was very dim regardless the settings. I exchanged it for the same model and the second one was fine. Here's a couple photos I took of it:

If that isn't bright and vibrant enough for you, I don't know what is! That's a LG 50PK540. My 60PV450 is capable of the same exact image quality.
craigy3 likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Wonder what happened to Benjiman? I was curious to see what his outcome was and if he thought my photos looked "very dim and dull".
post #7 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I've still got to find some time to adjust the settings according to the other thread's recommendations. I'll let you know how that goes. I think I'm getting used to the TV though. It's not as bright as I would have hoped but still looks pretty sharp/realistic.

I've got two other gripes though that I wanted to bring up.

1. The tv keeps auto adjusting the brightness levels! It's not incredibly noticeable but when you catch it dimming and brightening, it is very annoying. I turned off the intelligent sensor so I'm not sure why it keeps adjusting on its own. I think I may have read about this issue somewhere else online when researching the tv but can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Any ideas?

2. I use Hulu Plus a lot through Xbox. The new Xbox menu has a black background which gives me a good chance to check out the black levels. When I go up close to see the individual pixels, I notice that there are a bunch of red and blue pixels running around in the area that's black. From far away, you can't tell but it seems like those red/blue pixels would compromise the color integrity? I notice the same out of place color pixels in other areas too. The old Xbox dashboard for example was green and when going up close to the tv, I could see random yellow and white pixels where the green was supposed to fade out. It doesn't seem to fade from shade to shade very smoothly.

Appreciate any input you guys may have!
post #8 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
i had 2 and they both did the brightness thing, i dont understand why others do not notice it.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiman View Post

1. The tv keeps auto adjusting the brightness levels! It's not incredibly noticeable but when you catch it dimming and brightening, it is very annoying. I turned off the intelligent sensor so I'm not sure why it keeps adjusting on its own. I think I may have read about this issue somewhere else online when researching the tv but can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Any ideas?

That's the ABL issue of Plasmas. I absolutely hate that and why I went to LCD. I seen this on my LG 50PV450 and a Panasonic 60ST30.

I refer to what you're talking about as strobing. When it's much faster, it produces a flickering which is even more annoying. I went nuts watching this and could endure it no longer. That's why I went to LCD besides the less reflective screens and high brightness for brightly lit rooms.

Good luck, maybe you can ignore it like a lot of plasma owners because LED LCD has it's own problems.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

That's the ABL issue of Plasmas. I absolutely hate that and why I went to LCD. I seen this on my LG 50PV450 and a Panasonic 60ST30.

I refer to what you're talking about as strobing. When it's much faster, it produces a flickering which is even more annoying. I went nuts watching this and could endure it no longer. That's why I went to LCD besides the less reflective screens and high brightness for brightly lit rooms.

Good luck, maybe you can ignore it like a lot of plasma owners because LED LCD has it's own problems.

hmmm... i dont see it on my ST...
post #11 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiman View Post

1. The tv keeps auto adjusting the brightness levels! It's not incredibly noticeable but when you catch it dimming and brightening, it is very annoying. I turned off the intelligent sensor so I'm not sure why it keeps adjusting on its own. I think I may have read about this issue somewhere else online when researching the tv but can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Any ideas

Normal working ABL shouldn't be that distracting IMO. Sure you don't have "Dynamic Contrast" switched on? Oh and, the strobing that OldSchoolMETAL talks about, I think using Dynamic Color alleviates it a little (mine is set to medium)...
post #12 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Got my 60PV250 today and hooked it up. The picture looks great on Cinema mode and energy saving mode off. I haven't had any issues with fluctuating brightness. Blurays and PS3 look awesome. Black levels are nice and dark, with no obvious "grey" blacks. I have not changed any other factory settings.

The pic is nice and bright and not dim.

The only problem however is the glare. Wow, this thing is like a mirror. Don't buy this TV if you have any type of light source in front of the tv (window or lamp) and intend on watching TV when the light source is on.

My 5 yr old 42" Panasonic has SO much less glare. I compared the two side by side, and the LG had twice the amount of reflection/glare.

Overall great value. Cant beat the price for $799.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 AM

I received my LG 60PV250 a few days ago. This is my first new TV since about '95 - a Panasonic Gao CRT - so take impressions with a grain of salt.

Glare is certainly present, but it's better than the old glass CRT so no complaints from me. The image is bright. I have it in a room with subdued lighting and planned to avoid light sources that might cause problems.

My first changes to the picture settings were frequent and completely seat-of-the-pants. I could never get dark gradients and skin tones right. Then I found the wizard and used that as my starting point. Messed it up by modifying Expert1 too much. I'm currently running with wizard results and cool white balance, as described by Emig5m. Skin tones are good and some of the rare background flickers seem to have gone away. (stuff above the horizon on outdoor scenes) I'm still not happy with the dark gradients, like skin tones in low light or underwater scenes, but for most source material it's pretty darn nice. Then again, I'm not sure what I'm aiming for given I've probably never watched a properly calibrated plasma.

Oh, source material varies but I'm trying to stick with 1080 video to minimize compression effects on those gradients.

Tuning suggestions welcome.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page