Samsung goes black -no picture, only sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a samsung PN42B450B1DXZA plasma television, 42" bought about 3 years ago.

i dont know if this is a cable issue or if this is a tv issue. i called the cable company and they spent about two hours doing tests, replacing the cable box, new wires, checking the pole outside, etc. as soon as they left tv went black while watch regular television.

when i watch my television, it goes black randomly. sometimes its after two minutes of watching tv, sometimes its after hours of watching tv. in order to get the picture back i have to shut down television, wait a few seconds then turn tv back on. sometime picture immediately goes black again, sometimes it will be hours before it goes out again.

i have tried using an HDMI cable, but no luck. perhaps i can try a better more expensive HDMI cable.

can anyone offer suggestions on what the problem might be.

**just as a note, when the television goes black, i cant access the television's menu.

also, should it matter whether the cable signal is 1080i or 720p? i think my tv is 720p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

while im at it, maybe someone can recommend an HDMI cable that i can get.

maybe this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812189053

i know nothing about cables
post #3 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmap View Post

maybe this?

I got some mediabridge cables off of Amazon...they seem like decent quality.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

maybe this?

monoprice cables are great and cheap, they are a forum sponsor and there is a link at the top of the forum.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

ive seen monoprice site before but bypassed it.
i guess if they're a sponsor im going to give them a shot and order my wires from there today.

another question, although random.

should it matter if my cable box is giving signal of 1080i or 720p? that shouldnt cause me to have problems can it?
post #6 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM

you and I have the same TV model and mine is 2 years old, just lost all power. I'm thinking Sammy's are not worth it, will never buy one again. I'll fix mine and sell it.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

i dont know if this is a cable issue or if this is a tv issue. i called the cable company and they spent about two hours doing tests, replacing the cable box, new wires, checking the pole outside, etc. as soon as they left tv went black while watch regular television..

OP you posted conflicting info in another thread. Here you suggest that your TV worked fine for a year after the cable company came out and swapped boxes and cables. This would have lead us to think that you simply have another defective cable box, not too surprising if they swapped for the same buggy model box. But in this thread you are saying it went black right after the cable technician left.

Can't access the TV menu? There's a few things you can do to troubleshoot before calling anyone: swap cable boxes from another room, swap hdmi ports, test another hdmi equipped device like a blu-ray or dvd player. 6ft HDMI cables don't have to be a special quality, you can pick one up from a local discount store. And for troubleshooting purposes, you can try swapping over to the other resolution on the cable box 720p vs 1080i since your TV can address both.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

OP you posted conflicting info in another thread. Here you suggest that your TV worked fine for a year after the cable company came out and swapped boxes and cables. This would have lead us to think that you simply have another defective cable box, not too surprising if they swapped for the same buggy model box. But in this thread you are saying it went black right after the cable technician left.

Can't access the TV menu? There's a few things you can do to troubleshoot before calling anyone: swap cable boxes from another room, swap hdmi ports, test another hdmi equipped device like a blu-ray or dvd player. 6ft HDMI cables don't have to be a special quality, you can pick one up from a local discount store. And for troubleshooting purposes, you can try swapping over to the other resolution on the cable box 720p vs 1080i since your TV can address both.

ive had this problem at different times and the cable tech has come at two different times. most recently the cable techs came and swapped cable boxes, wires, etc and checked connections and he said he ran tests and found no issues. when he left the tv went black again. this was recently.

i just ordered new hdmi cable, so ill try running the apple tv box and stream from the internet...and other things as suggested.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

i ordered cables from monoprice.

for the cable box, i switched the video/audio cables with the new ones from monoprice. after 1 hour, screen goes black.

i also have an hdmi cable i ordered for the Apple TV. so i switched to the Apple TV with the new HDMI cable and screen goes black within 30 minutes.

surprisingly though, i have had a dvd play for 2 hours and it does not go black. its using the old video wires (3 wires instead of 5). i dont know how else to test the tv with the dvd player, its an old dvd player but a whole dvd plays without the picture going black.

im about to switch cable/internet to FIOS just to see if this will still give me problems. both the cable and internet are through Comcast. not sure if this is the issue, but FIOS tv has a sale going on, i want to try something new.

but at this point, im clueless on what the problem could be. maybe its just the darn television. stupid samsung
post #10 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Having the same problem here as described. The tv will go blank (still with sound) with the HDMI input, but works properly using the old video wires.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM

i think so, just lost all power. I'm thinking Sammy's are not worth it, will never buy one again. I'll fix mine and sell it. thank you 1.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page