2012 Panasonic Plasmas??? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 601 Old 01-28-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 354
^ So what crippling defect will the new 2012 models feature? Maybe they can offer customizable color blobs or a rising RED level or how about blues suddenly turn to yellow when you're least expecting it!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 601 Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I thought there was a color update that improved color luminance.

there has only been a luminance update, the color is still not fixed.
post #273 of 601 Old 01-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

My 2008 looks like my ancient, now defunct olevia LCD after it's black rise.
My 2011 looks like this:

I think you would be a prime prospect for the 1st 2012 off the assemby line!
post #274 of 601 Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:

^ So what crippling defect will the new 2012 models feature? Maybe they can offer customizable color blobs or a rising RED level or how about blues suddenly turn to yellow when you're least expecting it!

Customizable blobs would be better than 2011 - can't customize '11! Red levels are already at max in '11 - check out the sunburnt skin tone! I would rather keep the bluee to purple in the '11 than blue to yellow
post #275 of 601 Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Right? Fool me once shame on you. Fool me two times...

--Carl Sagan
post #276 of 601 Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I'm curious who you think has "customer focus". The persistent problems with other brands are (a) as bad if not worse (b) getting less resolution. Panasonic pushed out a luminance update and a color update. For some people they weren't 100% satisfactory, for a lot of people they were. They actually pushed out updates for both problems even though the vast majority of customers never complained / noticed either.

Sounds like customer focus to me.

Agree with (most of) what you say -- but I believe all manufacturer quality has deteriorated, and none of the issues are being properly addressed. The poor qulaity hides behind the marketing spin of on going technical improvements. Just wish that one brand could get the fundementals spot on.
post #277 of 601 Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I thought there was a color update that improved color luminance.

There was something like that. Someone who owns one might tell us exactly what was done; it didn't affect me but I remember the update existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post

Agree with (most of) what you say -- but I believe all manufacturer quality has deteriorated, and none of the issues are being properly addressed. The poor qulaity hides behind the marketing spin of on going technical improvements. Just wish that one brand could get the fundementals spot on.

Yes, all manufacturers build relatively speaking garbage these days. That's just reality.

If I wanted to summarize it (non-Panasonic, since you have that covered):

Samsung: Plasmas have peeling AR filters, occasionally show up with their glass shattered internally, have fluctuating brightness Samsung did nothing about.... LCDs have non-uniform backlighting even on flagship models, which is basically due to shabby manufacturing standards

Sony: The flagship LCD had a filter-bonding problem that caused a visible line to appear on many people's TVs. Sony considered this acceptable. Oh, and the flagship's killer feature -- local dimming -- leads to haloing off axis, but within the normally acceptable viewing cone of LCDs... Yippee.

Sharp: The backlighting is non-uniform on their fully-backlit LCDs, nevermind the edge-lit ones. Their flagship model has two defects which currently lack resolution.

You can't even buy quality if you are willing to pay extra for it. In my mind, Panasonic's quality and commitment to glitch fixing is comparable or better than anyone's.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #278 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:

There was something like that. Someone who owns one might tell us exactly what was done; it didn't affect me but I remember the update existed.

Yes, all manufacturers build relatively speaking garbage these days. That's just reality.

Samsung: Plasmas have peeling AR filters, occasionally show up with their glass shattered internally, have fluctuating brightness Samsung did nothing about.... LCDs have non-uniform backlighting even on flagship models, which is basically due to shabby manufacturing standards

Sony: The flagship LCD had a filter-bonding problem that caused a visible line to appear on many people's TVs. Sony considered this acceptable. Oh, and the flagship's killer feature -- local dimming -- leads to haloing off axis, but within the normally acceptable viewing cone of LCDs... Yippee.

Sharp: The backlighting is non-uniform on their fully-backlit LCDs, nevermind the edge-lit ones. Their flagship model has two defects which currently lack resolution.

You can't even buy quality if you are willing to pay extra for it. In my mind, Panasonic's quality and commitment to glitch fixing is comparable or better than anyone's.

Say it ain't so, Joe!
post #279 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

This post could save Days, Weeks or Months of researching, if it was a ((STICKY)) all by its self.

HH
post #280 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

My 2008 looks like my ancient, now defunct olevia LCD after it's black rise.
My 2011 looks like this:

Talk about being burned, not once, but twice. Absolutely unacceptable. Can you still return that set?

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #281 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post

Given the way Panasonic has not supported the resolution of issues with the 2011 models - luminance and color decoding - I will never trust or buy another Pan PDP. Their arrogance and lack of "customer focus" is pathetic. They push em out and walk away. I am hung with a GT30 now, but it will never happen again.

Quote:

I'm curious who you think has "customer focus". The persistent problems with other brands are (a) as bad if not worse (b) getting less resolution. Panasonic pushed out a luminance update and a color update. For some people they weren't 100% satisfactory, for a lot of people they were. They actually pushed out updates for both problems even though the vast majority of customers never complained / noticed either.

Sounds like customer focus to me.

Panasonic put out two fixes last year:

1) Fluctuating Brightness - After a scene change, there would be a change in the brightness of background objects after about 1 second. It was an annoying problem. The fix was fixed by an on-site Panasonic tech via firmware update or third party replacement of the A-Board. D-Nice says it is still there if you know where and how to look. I have not seen the problem since the fix so it was completely acceptable. This was excellent customer support.

2) Luminance Fix - This is tough to say. It clearly fixes the over saturation of Custom mode. It may have improved gamma on THX that is what others have posted. This was a download made available and not automatically applied. After the fix, I found custom mode was greatly improved and used it to calibrate my 65GT30.

Still there is something a bit different about the look of the GT when compared to my 500M and 600M's. There seems to be a push to the colors on the GT that cannot be corrected by altering the saturation. I believe there is a non-linearity to its performance so calibrating it with different window patterns 50 or 70% produces different results.

Using Calman and a Lumagen Radiance, the luminance of the colors was easier to adjust after the luminance patch.

I can get the GT close to the Kuro in terms of color but not quite there. Even if the 50 series does not get much improvement in black level, if the basics are improved, it should be capable of producing a picture that is as good in all but the darkest rooms.

The 500M is simply fantastic. It is noticeably better than my 600M because it has more punch and has less ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiting). On the 600M, I always can see scenes where the white areas of the screen darken.

The GT is better than the 600M. You can see ABL, but it is not a detrimental.
If the 50 series improves ABL handling, it will exceed the Kuro performance in normal viewing environments.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #282 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for that excellent summary Rich.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #283 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that excellent summary Rich.

I think that Panasonic has been steadily improving the product and the customer focus is much better. I think they did what they could within the limits of the design and the risk involved with releasing new firmware
Customer support had been very good. There have been management changes, including AVJunkie, which are improving the product and the company.

I am less worried about buying a panel early in the life cycle form them than other manufacturers.

I am going to give LCD's a hard look this year. I may even visit Robert at VE to see a properly calibrated display and get a feel for the off axis performance. Barring surprises, I am probably going to pick up a 70VT50 this summer (Provided they become available).

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #284 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Talk about being burned, not once, but twice. Absolutely unacceptable. Can you still return that set?

I exchanged-- went through several models/displays and picked the one that 'looked' the best under the bright store lighting. Got it home under normal conditions and BAM green blobs. It was nice of the employee to give me carte blanche but the only thing it accomplished was solidifying my view that this fault is endemic of the line and NOT an isolated defect affecting a few sets... Incidentally my father is now on his 4th set and still we have green. Two people CAN'T be this lucky.

--Carl Sagan
post #285 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I think that Panasonic has been steadily improving the product and the customer focus is much better. I think they did what they could within the limits of the design and the risk involved with releasing new firmware
Customer support had been very good. There have been management changes, including AVJunkie, which are improving the product and the company.

- Rich

More management changes than just AVJunkie are needed. But, are you sure? He's still posting as an employee over "there".

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #286 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

More management changes than just AVJunkie are needed. But, are you sure? He's still posting as an employee over "there".

I think he is including AVjunkie as one of the changes/additions to the team. He has only been with the company a few years.
post #287 of 601 Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

I think he is including AVjunkie as one of the changes/additions to the team. He has only been with the company a few years.

Oh. I thought he said there were "mgmt changes which are improving the product and company". He MUST have meant something else.

My bad.

post #288 of 601 Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AVJunkie is one of the good things happening at Panasonic.
He does have an obsession with shiny things, but heh, nobody's perfect

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #289 of 601 Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1) Fluctuating Brightness - After a scene change, there would be a change in the brightness of background objects after about 1 second. It was an annoying problem. The fix was fixed by an on-site Panasonic tech via firmware update or third party replacement of the A-Board. D-Nice says it is still there if you know where and how to look. I have not seen the problem since the fix so it was completely acceptable. This was excellent customer support.

- Rich

My GF's ST30 fluctuated pretty badly when watching a basketball game the other night. I found it bothersome as the the tv got brighter and dimmer as the game went on. I assume this fix will correct this and is the only way to get the software update thru Panasonic and their tech? Nothing one can do themselves? And this is a different update than the one over the tv's internet link?

Thx for any answers.
post #290 of 601 Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

- Rich

Ain't that the truth...

Just ribbin' ya RichB. Thanks for all your input! And yeah, shiny things...

post #291 of 601 Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesky View Post

My GF's ST30 fluctuated pretty badly when watching a basketball game the other night. I found it bothersome as the the tv got brighter and dimmer as the game went on. I assume this fix will correct this and is the only way to get the software update thru Panasonic and their tech? Nothing one can do themselves? And this is a different update than the one over the tv's internet link?

Thx for any answers.

Call Panasonic tech support and tell them you have fluctuating brightness problem. They should send a tech with firmware or a new A-Board.
Both ways of fixing it are the same.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #292 of 601 Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

- Rich

Idk rich I'm pretty close to perfect. At least so I tell my wife.
post #293 of 601 Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

ok, thanks again.

Quote:

2) Luminance Fix - This is tough to say. It clearly fixes the over saturation of Custom mode. It may have improved gamma on THX that is what others have posted. This was a download made available and not automatically applied. After the fix, I found custom mode was greatly improved and used it to calibrate my 65GT30.

Still there is something a bit different about the look of the GT when compared to my 500M and 600M's. There seems to be a push to the colors on the GT that cannot be corrected by altering the saturation. I believe there is a non-linearity to its performance so calibrating it with different window patterns 50 or 70% produces different results.

Using Calman and a Lumagen Radiance, the luminance of the colors was easier to adjust after the luminance patch.

I can get the GT close to the Kuro in terms of color but not quite there. Even if the 50 series does not get much improvement in black level, if the basics are improved, it should be capable of producing a picture that is as good in all but the darkest rooms.

The 500M is simply fantastic. It is noticeably better than my 600M because it has more punch and has less ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiting). On the 600M, I always can see scenes where the white areas of the screen darken.

The GT is better than the 600M. You can see ABL, but it is not a detrimental.
If the 50 series improves ABL handling, it will exceed the Kuro performance in normal viewing environments.

- Rich

Quote:

Call Panasonic tech support and tell them you have fluctuating brightness problem. They should send a tech with firmware or a new A-Board.
Both ways of fixing it are the same.

- Rich

post #294 of 601 Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

I like a place where no one dominates any thread.

That's the great thing about AVS Forums, it allows multiple points of view and doesn't tend to push people out.

post #295 of 601 Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dear Lord.

Not BOTH forums.

I like a place where no one has over 50% of the posts in a thread.

Great post. Oh wait.

post #296 of 601 Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I talked with a Panasonic rep at BB on Sunday. She stated that the bezel on the VT50 will be thinner than the current VT30. There have been complaints about its large size relative to the size of the screen, so they will remedy that with the new model.
post #297 of 601 Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

I talked with a Panasonic rep at BB on Sunday. She stated that the bezel on the VT50 will be thinner than the current VT30. There have been complaints about its large size relative to the size of the screen, so they will remedy that with the new model.

Yup - they're smaller than last year's:

55VT30: 31.9" high x 52.4" wide
55VT50: 30.4" high x 50.7" wide

65VT30: 37.7" high x 61.9" wide
65VT50: 35.1" high x 59.1" wide

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #298 of 601 Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Will the changes being made to the 2012 Panasonic line up be included in the non 3D models?
post #299 of 601 Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Any idea of the weight of any of the 2012 Panasonic plasma TV's?
post #300 of 601 Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Any idea of the weight of any of the 2012 Panasonic plasma TV's?

VT55" is 66.2lbs and VT65" is 97.1lbs without stand, quite a big weight savings, I wonder what they left out, hehe.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page