Advertisement

post #452 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

thanks and i think your right - i believe most of the updated changes are for the upper models - i think the UT may have the same panel as last years S model - not much adjustments you can make etc. - no pro settings - and panel not as dark -

a friend has one - and another ST30 - which he did say the S model is fine - and a bit brighter than the ST model - but last years S didnt have 3D - this year the UT has 3D - so not sure what kind of panel is used - or if any filters are used etc. -

i hope some reviews come out soon on the UT and the ET5 model - maybe even a comparison between the two -

From what I understand, the UT model is basically a 2011 ST model, but with potentially deeper blacks and no filter.
post #453 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Liked: 11
that should be great then - but how come its not the same panel then ? having no filter - how would that affect the overall PQ - etc. -

can always take deeper blacks - did you get this info from a review ? or someone you trust etc. - i cant wait for a review so i can decide to get it or not -

thanks - if you get any more info - please post it here - also i was looking over the manual - i dont see anything about what features it has in terms of netflix - pandora - youtube etc. - i cant imagine it not having netflix at least - but i need to make sure -
post #454 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:

that should be great then - but how come its not the same panel then ? having no filter - how would that affect the overall PQ - etc. -

can always take deeper blacks - did you get this info from a review ? or someone you trust etc. - i cant wait for a review so i can decide to get it or not -

thanks - if you get any more info - please post it here - also i was looking over the manual - i dont see anything about what features it has in terms of netflix - pandora - youtube etc. - i cant imagine it not having netflix at least - but i need to make sure -

I have nothing to truly substantiate this. I've gathered this from many interviews and other reports across the web; from my observations it seems to be the case. Looking at the performance specifications, and straight down to the physical design of the panel; seems to me either very similar performance, or an actual 2011 panel. We'll have to wait for a review, but I'm guessing it will be on par if not better than the 2011 ST. Basically, I'm hedging my bets on it being a 2011 ST panel with a new drive system for deeper blacks, but no filter.
post #455 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM

I'm currently in the market for a new television and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Panasonic plasma. At this second, I'm leaning strongly toward a GT30, especially with how much they're dropping in price with the new models knocking at the door.

However, I'm wondering how some of the new ones will compare and if i should wait a bit. Has there been any indication as to how the ST50s will compare to the GT30s? Or if the GT50s will be priced aggressively enough to make it worth spending the extra cash when they're released?
post #456 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM

sounds good to me - i hope its true - this is the model i am looking to get - i just hope its bright enough for day time use also -

about the filter not being on this model - would you know what that means to me - would it be lighter with out one - or is PQ affected etc. - or would it be better somehow -

how would not having a filter affect it - ?
post #457 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

I got the 50" UT50 in today and posted my review and pictures of it in comparison to the 55" ST30 over at ....another forum. Here's what i said.

Okay, so far my overall impression of the UT50 are pretty positive. One thing that I think we'll all appreciate is that I HAVE NOT SEEN LINE BLEEDING! I watched for it in a lot of our content and then hooked up a bluray player and waited for the famous green screen "The Following preview has been approved..." line bleed and did not see any. I even cycled through all picture modes including cinema and did not see it!

After getting the TV booted up and after going through the setup options, the TV starts off in standard mode. Realistically the picture actually didn't look that bad in standard aside from being really really dark (gotta love energy star mode). A quick change to any of the other screen modes (Vivid, Cinema, Game, Custom) and the image instantly becomes much brighter.

I will say the ut50 is noticeably bright for a plasma. It reminds me of the brightness of samsungs PND7000. I may move the 7000 over by it for a brightness comparison later if i have the time. The current comparison models I have near it are the PND530 samsung, D6000 LED, and 832u sharp. Obviously the full screen brightness of the Panasonic is not going to match an LED, but it did easily beat the D530 in vivid. When I put the d530 into "movie" mode and that panasonic in cinema the brightness was pretty close, with the panny winning with certain content playing. I'm certain calibration at least in custom mode will be able to take advantage of the new brightness levels. It is worth noting for retailers Vivid mode this year does look a lot better than previous years in that peoples faces do not look like they're emitting their own rays of light. I may for once leave a panny in Vivid here in store instead of customizing my own settings.

Overall the panel itself is a slightly darker on the ut50 vs the D530 giving a less washed out appearance even though neither have any filters on the screen so it will be easy to expect a lower MLL on the UT50. The panny also just seemed sharper and clearer than the samsung when comparing each mode between eachother even w/ motion smoother on/off.

For those who like motion smoother as well, this year there are 3 settings weak, medium, and high. No custom mode, but 3 settings are better than 2. By default the TV is in "MEDIUM".

The menu system looks identical to last year, but a bit cleaned up. I do like how 3D options do not show up in the menu unless 3D is turned on. IIRC 2011 models always had the 3D options showing, but were greyed out if 3D content was not playing.

The frame of the TV IMO looks great, especially for a panasonic entry level model, or really any manufacturer for that matter. Physical buttons are on the left side...side of the the tv, which i prefer over the common touch controls. Connectivity is my only complaint, but again it's entry level. 2 HDMI +ARC (HDMI 2), 1 composite or component, 1 cable/antenna, Ethernet port, 2 USB (On side and will stick out w/o angle adapter), and optical output.

I'll post some pictures later on. My phone isn't on a strong enough connection to upload files and the kiosk i'm using won't connect to my phone. I'll update this as well if anything else comes to mind.

UPDATE: UT50 vs ST30
Well i got an idea and ran with it. Forgot i have 2 copies of transformers 3 that i brought with me this morning so i moved some tvs and BDPs around for a comparison. Overall, the UT50 is definitely noticeably brighter over the ST30. One of my guys in the back room came out to drop off another tv for display and asked me what i was doing. I told him i was comparing TVs and the first thing he said was "the top one [ST30] is a lot darker." Both TVs were in the default Cinema setting (motion smoother off) playing through panasonic bluray players (i swapped connections just to confirm the players did not contribute to the differences). I even noticed the default brightness setting on the ST30 is 58 where it is at 50 on the UT50. Colors also looked a little more accurate on the ut50 over the ST30. The ST30 appeared to have a little more greenish tint in faces and such. Overall, I liked the ST30 a little more primarily because the louvre filter makes a HUGE difference here in retail and the image just looked too washed out on the UT50. At the same time though, i don't know if the filter on the ST50 and above will lower the output some? I got some pics of the comparison so everyone can see the brightness difference. I should have them up within the next 2 hours after I get home.

I have very high hopes for the higher end series after seeing how impressive the UT50 is!

post #458 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

UT30 Pictures:
The Box

ST30 Louvre Filter vs UT50 No Filter

No Line Bleed

ST30 (TOP) vs UT30 (BOTTOM) BRIGHTNESS. BOTH TVS ARE SET TO DEFAULT CINEMA MODES (SMOOTHER OFF).

post #459 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

The stand does not swivel for whoever asked.

post #460 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow, that is quite a difference in brightness. That was always my one gripe with plasmas. They have always been a bit dim to me. Even my GT30 my family owns while stunning in picture quality, lacks the brightness I've grown used to with my Sony CRT HDTV (It's hard to upgrade from a TV that basically gives Kuro's a run for their money) so I'm excited to finally see Panasonic doing this change like Samsung did last year. Can't wait to see the GT and VT models in action. I'm planning on splurging and getting the VT because of all the praise it received at CES. Plus, it really isn't that much more expensive than compared to the current VT30 prices.
post #461 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Thank you maygit! How are the blacks on the UT50? From the specs that are available at panasonic.com it looks like the UT50 lacks the "Infinite Black" filter of the ST/GT/VT series, which they seem to imply provide more nuanced and deeper blacks. Does it make any real-world difference?

Ever since they announced that the UT would be the best 42" set available this year, I've been kicking myself over my failure to pick up a sub-$500 42" ST30 last summer. But your review here is giving me hope...
post #462 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM

that would be me - i needed a swivel stand - i guess i will buy a swivel base first -
what can you tell me about the black level - and having no filter - what Neg. affects does it have because it dosnt have one -

glad to know that is bright - i need to use it during day also - do you think its as good as last years ST30 model - any more info you can give would be great - i need to get a TV but need the 42 inch model -

thanks - great pictures also -

yeah i did the same thing also - i missed out on the 2011 st30 last year in hopes for getting a new model this year and now its the UT only - but this review so far sounds promising - actually i purchased the ST30 from panasonic website on black friday - but they screwed everyone i think - they never shipped it - and canceled my order a month later after telling me its being processed etc. -- then one day - it was just cancelled with no reason -

good thing i returned the 3D glasses i purchased - this new tv will have different ones i think - last years may not work with this years model -
post #463 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The line bleed comment interests me. I own a 65ST30 and have no issues with brightness or any other picture quality concerns others may have...except for excessive line bleed beyond what I am used to on a plasma. Though I won't be purchasing a 2012 model, I hope that line bleed is indeed reduced so that I can be comfortable purchasing a set in the next couple years.
post #464 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM

would you know what size is the stand on that TV - i would need a swivel base and found one at 24 inchs wide by 15 deep - do you think that size would work on the 42 inch model UT50 ?
post #465 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themicah View Post

Thank you maygit! How are the blacks on the UT50? From the specs that are available at panasonic.com it looks like the UT50 lacks the "Infinite Black" filter of the ST/GT/VT series, which they seem to imply provide more nuanced and deeper blacks. Does it make any real-world difference?

Ever since they announced that the UT would be the best 42" set available this year, I've been kicking myself over my failure to pick up a sub-$500 42" ST30 last summer. But your review here is giving me hope...

I can't really say much on the black level performance of this set, i honestly don't know. I'm limited to viewing this TV in a bright show room floor and that is by far the worst place to comment on PQ in general and certainly not black level. If I had to guess at a black level, i would say expect around the performance of the S30....which in an all black room it's pretty much the same as the ST30.

The louvre filter on the ST30 makes a very big difference, in my opinion, if there is going to be any lights on in the room as seen in the second picture the ST30 is clearly a darker shade. However, it is possible that the filter on the ST30 causes it to be less bright, but again i can't say for certain.

post #466 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

would you know what size is the stand on that TV - i would need a swivel base and found one at 24 inchs wide by 15 deep - do you think that size would work on the 42 inch model UT50 ?

I'm not at work anymore so i won't be able to get you measurements until Saturday when i'm back in. I'm a little confused by what u mean by swivel base. If you're referring to the pedestal that attaches onto the tv and you were considering swapping them out, no that would not work. This year the tv has a different shaped adapter that connects the pedestal to the tv. If you're referring to a stand to put the tv on and it swivels, 24" wide x 15" deep sounds like it will work. Going off of memory, but i'm pretty sure panasonics stands are around 18" wide x 11" deep.

post #467 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM

sorry if i didnt explain myself - your correct - the base that holds the TV itself - last year the ST30 swiveled - if this dosnt - i found a swivel base - nothing to do with a TV etc

just a platform that swivels - and i would place the TV on top of that - its about one inch high so shouldnt be bad - if its 18 x 11 - that would work -

TV looks pretty good so far - i see its brighter because of the no filter i bet - which is good for one reason but more glare i think and not as dark blacks because of that -

i need a day time use TV so should be ok - even if the blacks are not as dark as the ST - it should still be darker than an LED TV from panasonic ?

those are my options for day use - if the plasma didnt work - i would go with the LED from them - but it looks like it may be fine - which is good -
post #468 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
ST30 (TOP) vs UT30 (BOTTOM) BRIGHTNESS. BOTH TVS ARE SET TO DEFAULT CINEMA MODES (SMOOTHER OFF).

Wow. I've been struggling with the green tint and low brightness of my 55st30. I have come up with custom settings that will probably work for me assuming I keep it (I have until Sunday to decide). And then I see those pictures! I'll definitely have to read your other posts closely. Thanks for making those comparisons.

Wayne
post #469 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the way I look at it, if you're looking for a tv that will work well in a brighter and darker environment, you're probably best off with an LED since they are a little better overall w/ dynamic room lighting conditions. If the room is only moderately light to dark for most the viewing, plasmas are better there. If viewing angles and/or price are a concern as well, lean more towards plasma. Blacks will appear darker on an LED in a brighter environment than they will on a plasma.

No problem Wayne, thanks for the comments!

post #470 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM

its a hard choice - i am using an sony xbr4 model now in the bedroom and its fine - i do notice a difference of course compared to my main TV plasma - but i only use that for movies at night - so its great - in the bedroom - i use it during the day also - while i am on my computer etc. - i really dont watch movies - just having the TV on - background etc. and then use it at night again - the price is much better on the UT - compared to the LED model - 3D is half resolution also on the LED model - how bad or good that is - i dont know - i wont really be using 3D that much - i worry about the LED at night - if it has light bleeding on the edges or what ever - not sure how the black bars are at night on this LED etc. - this is a tough choice for me now - i like to get the plasma first and see how it works out - then if it dosnt - exchange it for the LED model and be done with it - i am waiting on any info on the LED version also - reviews etc. - and hope it comes out soon so i have a TV to exchange it for in case it didnt work for me - last year i got a LG plasma for the bedroom and that was too dark - i had to return it and pay shippin back etc. - i like to avoid that this time around -
post #471 of 601 Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Here's the way I look at it, if you're looking for a tv that will work well in a brighter and darker environment, you're probably best off with an LED since they are a little better overall w/ dynamic room lighting conditions. If the room is only moderately light to dark for most the viewing, plasmas are better there. If viewing angles and/or price are a concern as well, lean more towards plasma. Blacks will appear darker on an LED in a brighter environment than they will on a plasma.

No problem Wayne, thanks for the comments!

Thanks maygit. You speak words of wisdom!

I also have a 42PX80U, which has been plenty bright enough for me (and doesn't have the green tint). So part of my problem is that I am constantly comparing my 55ST30 to it. It doesn't help that I watch a lot of hockey, and the lower brightness really makes an impact there.

Thankfully though there have been some great contributions in the ST30 DIY settings post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1338491, and I am quite happy with my settings now. My room is moderately light to dark, so that does help. What also helps is that I've been otherwise very happy with the PQ and quite blown away with the 3D PQ (watching Hugo - wow).

I got the 55ST30 for a great price, so I think I will just ignore your comparison photos, forget about returning it (and probably spending a bunch more $$$), and just start enjoying my TV!

Thanks again,

Wayne
post #472 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Apparently, the UT50 and the ST50 are the same basic panel, but the UT is lacking the louvre filter that creates the infinite black panel. According to the specs, the UT has a G15 full HD panel, while the ST has the G15 full HD neo panel. I think neo implies that it has the louvre filter, and other than that, the specs sound identical. So, if you prefer a glossier screen, and have a light controlled environment, the UT50 sounds like a very good bang for the buck. Strictly speaking about the basic panel and pic quality, as the ST adds built in WiFi and perhaps a web browser. And the matte like screen of the ST may produce somewhat better blacks, but I will have to compare the 2 in person to truly evaluate. However, the UT50 doesn't sound so far like the inferior stepchild that the S30 was to the ST30 last year.
post #473 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post

I'm currently in the market for a new television and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Panasonic plasma. At this second, I'm leaning strongly toward a GT30, especially with how much they're dropping in price with the new models knocking at the door.

However, I'm wondering how some of the new ones will compare and if i should wait a bit. Has there been any indication as to how the ST50s will compare to the GT30s? Or if the GT50s will be priced aggressively enough to make it worth spending the extra cash when they're released?

Little help?
post #474 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Little help?

The ST50s are already in stock and the GT50's are expected in mid-April. Tough call at this point but, if it were me, I'd wait til reviews and comparissons are in. Unless you can get the GT30 at a ridiculously low price!
post #475 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

The ST50s are already in stock and the GT50's are expected in mid-April. Tough call at this point but, if it were me, I'd wait til reviews and comparissons are in. Unless you can get the GT30 at a ridiculously low price!

I'm leaning toward waiting, but my biggest question is how the ST50 compares to the GT30, since there's a few hundred dollar price difference.

That said, if the prices linked earlier in this thread are accurate, the GT50 will only be about $600 more than the GT30s are going for now, so it might be worth the extra expense.
post #476 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

sorry if i didnt explain myself - your correct - the base that holds the TV itself - last year the ST30 swiveled - if this dosnt - i found a swivel base - nothing to do with a TV etc -just a platform that swivels - and i would place the TV on top of that - its about one inch high so shouldnt be bad - if its 18 x 11 - that would work

According to the dimension diagram in the online manual for the 42UT50, the pedestal base is 15.8" wide x 12.6" Deep.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #477 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

I'm leaning toward waiting, but my biggest question is how the ST50 compares to the GT30, since there's a few hundred dollar price difference.

That said, if the prices linked earlier in this thread are accurate, the GT50 will only be about $600 more than the GT30s are going for now, so it might be worth the extra expense.

If the only difference between the 30 series and the 50 series is greater brightness, then that alone is worth the price difference for something you'll most likely be keeping for a long time. The PQ difference between the ST50 and the GT50 will be very interesting to me.
post #478 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Judging by those pictures, I'm not sure if UT is brighter, or if the ST's color decoding issues are making it seem not as vivid. There is definitely a green push in the ST model. Something tells me the ST could look just as bright if it wasn't having the color decoding issues. Also, I don't think the UT panel is part of the new brighter lineup; think that's reserved for the ST50 and upward.
post #479 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Hmmm, the ST50's are already in stock? I, for one, would really like to see some early reviews on this. Especially because a LOT of same technology in this as the GT and VT.
post #480 of 601 Old 03-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

According to the dimension diagram in the online manual for the 42UT50, the pedestal base is 15.8" wide x 12.6" Deep.

i checked the dimensions boxed and it showed 10.8 inches packed - so i figured it cant be more than 10 inches deep -

all well - i already ordered a swivel base for this TV - and its 22.5 wide by 12.5 deep - so either way it should be fine -

i just figured if the boxed TV shows 10.8 deep - the stand inside would be around that size - but now i didnt figure in the fact that the stand would not be attached and you may be right with your 12.6 inches -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page