Zenith Z60pv220 - My Journey and Brief Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My starting setup was a Samsung DLP 55" 1080p that I was quite happy with. During the Thankgiving sales, I bought a 60" Sharp Quattron 832 Model from Costco and was quite impressed by the quality - superb colors (maybe not accurate, but I really liked the yellow overtone that it added), matte screen, very good blacks. But off-angle viewing was horrible and it bothered me to the extent that I ended up returning it. I decided to go the plasma route and had a Panasonic TC-P60ST30 (good deal with EPP from Panasonic Store) on its way. But then BB had this really good deal on the Zenith Z60pv220 that had all I needed (60", 2 component inputs and 3 HDMI, 1080p). So I ordered that as well. The Zenith arrived this Thursday and I unpacked it. the TV looked great, sleek bezel, sturdy stand, heavy ~100lbs, but the panel had this greying brown color that did not inspire confidence. I also tried to see what the panel behind this TV was and detected something to the effect of 60PDP3010 through the back metal grill panel. No indication of being a rebadged LG 60PV450, or maybe I did not look in the right place.

Once plugged in, I hated the colors. There was this brownish-yellow tinge on everything and no matter how much I monkeyed with the Tint and Color Temp, could not get rid of it. The screen was also quite reflective which made dark scenes not very eay to see. Blacks did not seem that black, but more gray which has been reported as endemic to LGs. Tried the Disney WOW disk (which I have not found really useul) to calibrate, but still not happy. Mentally I had made up my mind to return it. Went ahead and ordered an LG 60PZ950 thinking the THX stuff would be useful over Amazon. I had the Zenith running for about 6 hrs on Friday, 12 hours on Saturday. Then decided to tweak the settings a litlle bit. Colors improved, but still not really loving it.

Then I turned on the TV (Zenith) this Sunday morning. WOW!!! I Dont know what happened, I am loving the colors, contrast looks excellent, blacks are BLACK (matches bezel). Football (on DISH network) looks amazing!! Not sure if the Plasma broke in or my eyes broke in, but colors are accurate, contrast is spectacular, no buzz. The only downside is reflective screen, but that is probably true for plasma. THIS TV IS NOT GOING BACK!! So my advice to folks who order TVs. Please given it s week before deciding about what to do with it and I highly recommend this TV. My final settings.
Aspect Ratio: Set by Program
Power Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Cinema (User)
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 55
Sharpness: 90
Color: 55
Tint: R13
Color Temp: C50
Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Color: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Film Mode: On
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: On

Hope you guys find this useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
post #3 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Zenith! Incidentally this is based on Moderate light in the room (closed venetian blinds on a cloudy day and with overhead recessed ceiling lights on). And yes, I am really impressed with Zenith after being pi**ed off for a couple of days when I could not achieve the color I desired. Definitely has the wow factor.

For anyone else who has this TV, I would be interested in knowing how to determine if this is a rebadged LG 60PV450?

Hope the Zenith is reliable and does not conk out negating my review above .

One final thing. I cancelled shipment on the Panasonic (was regretting it for the three days where things were not working out) and will refuse shipment on the 60PZ950.
post #4 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Haha... Thought you were talking about the Z...

Yeah, I'd say it has the wow factor as well... I've had the Z50PV220 for about 4 days now... -- I played around back and forth between the Z & LG and the only conclusion I could come to was keeping the "additional" $200.00 in my pocket. Could always be wrong but IMO the LG just has the signature software installed and I doubt there is anything meaningful, that is different between the two sets of 'hardware'. It would make no sense for LG to do that -- LGE still made 40% margins.

Aspect Ratio: Set by Program
Power Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Standard (user)
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 80
Sharpness: 80
Color: 80
Tint: 0
Color Temp: C40

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Dynamic Color: Medium
Noise Reduction: Medium
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Film Mode: On
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: On

-- Doesn't look bad either

Who says you can't pay hundreds less and achieve superior results? = fail.

As for your question on the rebadged LG 60PV450? -- Would it matter either way given what you know, now?
post #5 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
the Z is the same as the LG... as far as the electronics, panel, etc....period.

i had 2 Lg 60pv450's and i liked the picture overall, except for the blacks... however they had a brightness/color flicker that was a deal breaker for me. have a ST now and it has a issue as well. pink/green tint problem on the sides...
post #6 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

@designit - Nope. Now it does not matter anymore whether it is rebadged or otherwise. The color accuracy and image cleanliness from the Zenith is impressive.

Did you notice an improvement with time breaking in with yours as well?
post #7 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

i had 2 Lg 60pv450's and i liked the picture overall, except for the blacks...

Pardon what looks to be a smarta$$ comment but how black does a black hole get? (beyond the black of the frame?)... I have black holes straight out of NASA and every shade between that and gray?

Quote:
however they had a brightness/color flicker that was a deal breaker for me.

Carrier signal. -- consider moving, lol j/k
post #8 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Did you notice an improvement with time breaking in with yours as well?

No not really... Wifes out of town & there's too many adult beverages around the house so my taste in PQ has changed about as much as my buzz level...

But I did notice the garbage that was set at the factory... Guess that's why they load software into these things Aeh? All good now though, that's for sure.

Maybe have to consider a 60 & move the 50 to the bedroom before LGE stops making plasma on the Zenith brand?... -- I have no info on that but I noticed Zenith website gives no indication they even have a plasma set? (just LCD)... -- Of course you're not getting anything from LG on it either so who knows? Just a guess for the near future as stock runs out maybe? -- And maybe that's why the're so cheap? Iduno...
post #9 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by designit View Post

Pardon what looks to be a smarta$$ comment but how black does a black hole get? (beyond the black of the frame?)... I have black holes straight out of NASA and every shade between that and gray?

Carrier signal. -- consider moving, lol j/k

yeah you do sound like a smart a$$.

the blacks are just average..darkest gray, if you like it fine. i liked the set and the blacks were ok for me and i would have kept the set, i got 2 after all, but side by side with a panny it is no contest, that is a fact. a MLL of .02 vs. .004

and i saw the flicker on all sources, i wouldnt base my observations on DISH or any other crappy signal, others have stated the same thing about the flicker, do a search. watching football was terrible with all the flickers.

i was posting just to help, and not have you blast me with nonsense.

ive owned 5 hdtv's before the LG and know when i see a defect...
post #10 of 23 Old 12-18-2011, 04:03 PM

I really didn't mean it like that.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Do you notice any kind of picture buzz from the Zenith? I had a Samsung 59" plasma for a week, but I returned it because of a very annoying buzz. Right now I have a Sharp Aquos LE60832U, and I am having a terrible lipsync issue with it right now, and I'm considering a return.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #12 of 23 Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. No buzz on mine.
post #13 of 23 Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteface View Post

Nope. No buzz on mine.

My buzz was from beer ... haha..

Update though... Yes-yes-yes... the blacks have gotten much "much" deeper across the screen - I've noticed today (evening) -- and I can't stand it... (obviously most like this... Not me however)

Going in for a re-cal. -- maybe I'll end up in expert land as std?
post #14 of 23 Old 12-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Has anyone brought a portable AM, FM, Shortwave radio close to their Zenith to see if it is creating radio frequency noise anywhere?

Not within inches but within a couple of feet?

This model is on sale for $799. until 11:59PM Pacific Time today (Dec 24, 2011) and that sounds like a terrific deal!

WDYT?

Thanks!
post #15 of 23 Old 12-25-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

sorry, but I am just using the HDMI connections. Not sure if RFI interference can be registered through those.

A couple of unrelated updates.
I did confirm that this is the LG 60PV450 since the FCC ID on the back indicates that. Also, I did the potentiometer tweak (crank up "set_up" all the way clock wise and "Vy" a notch counterclockwise) and the black levels (which I thought were pretty darn good to begin with) became a lot blacker. In the past a black area surrounded by other colors would look really black, but when that region moved right next to the bezel, you could tell that it was a few shades grayer. Now the region next to the bezel also looks pretty darn black. Colors look a hint more prettier with this change (but could be a placebo effect of sorts). The tweak took about 30mins to accomplish most of which was spent in unscrewing the back panel and rescrewing it (29mins to unscrew and rescrew, 30s to tweak the potentiometers). I also did it with the TV unplugged.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 PM

The method by which you connect your other equipment to the TV may be partly-relevant and partly not to the question of radio frequency interference (rfi).

I will explain what I mean ...

If you own a small portable radio, preferably AM, FM, and Shortwave (there are some really cheap ones out there and they will work fine for this test) then you merely set it down (or hold it) a few feet from the TV - then tune across all of the bands while the TV is on.

If the TV is generating radio frequency interference, and that interference is radiating from the TV itself, then you will hear it on the portable radio. (You will want to check all of the bands with the TV unplugged to avoid blaming the TV when something else is the cause.)

It is possible that the TV might use the AC cord as an unintentional antenna for the interference, and there is a way to eliminate that, but for our purposes let's presume that Zenith/LG was smart enough to filter that (a common practice).

Here's the partly-relevant/partly not piece ...

If the TV is generating interference that uses the HDMI cable (or any other optional cable) as an unintentional antenna that is easy to spot by connecting and disconnecting cables while monitoring the portable test receiver.

The deadline for the specific sale that caught my attention has passed but when we get serious about buying, and spot another sale, it would be good to know about the rfi or non-rfi. (Amateur Radio is a hobby, so avoiding rfi-noise is a high value here.)

Thanks!
post #17 of 23 Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

There is a similar TV (pretty much the same panel) at an even better price.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1380350
post #18 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Just got one from Sears and set it up. The colors are challenging...

Will watch for more feedback!
post #19 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Give it a few days. After about 50 hrs, they settle in.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Any updates on the 60" Zenith? How does everyone like theirs?

-Guru
post #21 of 23 Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Any updates on the 60" Zenith? How does everyone like theirs?

-Guru

We have had the Z60PV220 for about 30 days now. My wife loves it (the acid test). My complaint is that within 5 minutes of tuning to Cox's service of any local HD network channel, I get a field of artifacts for a couple of seconds then a "no signal" black screen which displays for about 5 seconds, then the picture reappears fine and does not seem to reappear.

I have a 32" LG on another branch from the same Cox-supplied splitter which, while the Z60 is going through this display, does not display this behavior.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM

make sure that cable box is set to a "fixed" output in the high def settings menu ie 1080i

solved the pic/black screen/pic scenario when tuning channel-to-channel with my Panny GT25 and SA 8300HD box

I foung that answer here on the forum by accident...it was driving me nuts
post #23 of 23 Old 06-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Just revisited this trhead and tried to redo my settings....

I should have kept what I had!

Now it doesn't look as good and I have no idea what they were. Looks like I will buy that Disney WOW setup disk from Groupon today!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Zenith Z60pv220 60 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page