Panasonic ST30 compatibility issues with PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, so I do not know much about plasma tvs and gaming consoles. I have gone into best buy multiple times for this problem and they cannot figure out the problem. I have a brand new Panasonic ST30 (plasma-3D) and I have plugged my PS3 in as an HDMI component. I have the most recent software on the ps3 and the ST30. I am using the Monster - 1000HDX cable and once I turn my PS3 on, it has a blinking effect on the screen. It looks like the pixels are lighting up and it happens randomly. It will do this at the main menu as well as in a game, so I know it is not the game. The screen will also glitch out and flash randomly as well. Sometimes when I turn the ps3 off and restart it, it will be fine and then randomly start flashing again. I recently took my PS3 into best buy and hooked it up to the st30 in the store and it did the same things. I then plugged it into the s30, another samsung plasma, a led-lcd dynex model all with no problems. Therefore, it is narrowed down to the problem being the st30 series. I also hooked up a basic dynex hdmi cable to my st30 and have not noticed any problems. Therefore, I have narrowed the problem down to the Monster - 1000HDX cable and the st30 not being able to communicate properly and causing a certain issue with this setup. We also hooked a blu ray player up to the st30 in the best buy store with no problems. If anyone has any expertise in this area, please help. I hope it is an easy setting fix or the fact the Monsters 1000HDX cable tries to amplify the signal and that causes a problem. I apologize if I am using terms wrong and would appreciate help from anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It sure sounds like the Monster cable if the Dynex cable works fine. Most people here do not use Monster cables since they are basically a rip off (you're paying for the name, not for quality). You'd be better off with much cheaper Monoprice HDMI cables, or just use your Dynex one. (Not sure the Monster cable is amplifying anything.)
post #3 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

It just seems odd that a cheaper cable would fix this problem. I also called Panasonic and they of course blamed it on my ps3. The reason I went with the monster cable was because it was able to project 600hz and the cheaper cables were less than 600hz. Any suggestions on a cable that would project the 600hz. Thanks again
post #4 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
My brother in law has a PS3 hooked up to a Panasonic C2 using standard high speed HDMI cables, which he bought cheep on-line, and it works just fine.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
it also sounds like the cable if u another tv in the house try the monster cable and ps3 on that one and see if it does the same thing. i have a 50 inch st30 with ps3 and monoprice hdmi cable and i have no trouble and i also have other monoprice hdmis
for my 3d blu-ray player and cable box
post #6 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergre View Post

It just seems odd that a cheaper cable would fix this problem. I also called Panasonic and they of course blamed it on my ps3. The reason I went with the monster cable was because it was able to project 600hz and the cheaper cables were less than 600hz. Any suggestions on a cable that would project the 600hz. Thanks again

It may seem "odd", but really, if a different cable works, then it's the cable not the hardware.

Take the Monster cable back and get a refund.
Then use the cable that works and be happy that it costs less.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Any high speed HDMI cable will work just fine. Cable gauge only matters for long runs. You're reading too much Monster propaganda.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Tazz

Does this happen on your tv: I have my ps3 on hdmi 1, if the tv is on hdmi 2(or any other input) and then I turn change the input to hdmi 1 it will automatically turn the ps3 on. Also if I turn the ps3 on it will change the input to which ever input the ps3 is plugged into(best buy said they haven't seen that before)?

Also does high speed cable mean that it will project at 600hz. Will anything below that, say 480hz display the animated soap opera effect that I notice on led/LCD screens

Thanks for all the help
post #9 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergre View Post

Also does high speed cable mean that it will project at 600hz. Will anything below that, say 480hz display the animated soap opera effect that I notice on led/LCD screens

Major confusion about tech and terminology here. Cables don't "project" anything, and the hz you're talking about (600Hz for plasma, 480hz for LCD) has nothing to do with the source or the cables. That stuff refers to how the TV creates the image. In plasma's case the 600Hz refers to the number of "subfields" per second but doesn't really have anything to do with the displayed frame rate and has nothing to do with the soap opera effect. 120, 240, and 480Hz LCDs refer to the frame refresh rate and do relate to the soap opera effect.

They key point thought is that it's the TV doing that stuff. Your PS3, Xbox 360, cable box, etc are still just sending it a 60Hz signal like they always have. The cable is irrelevant. Take the Monster cable back for a refund and use the el cheapo Dynex that works. You're not missing anything.

jeff
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays