Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyPoor View Post

I know this is risky, but have you thought of using the same product to remove the rest of the filter? If it came off that easy, it shouldn't be hard to do. You'd probably get more glare but at least it wouldn't drive you nuts every time you saw it. Of course, it might just make it worse - tough call...

You've been reading my mind. I actually think I could take it off fairly easily but you're right...I could make it worse. I'm thinking that in the interst of science I will try it and report back. I wish I could post pictures that would accurately capture this mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowza View Post

You've been reading my mind. I actually think I could take it off fairly easily but you're right...I could make it worse. I'm thinking that in the interst of science I will try it and report back. I wish I could post pictures that would accurately capture this mess.

Would that void your warranty should it not work well and you want to return it?
post #33 of 51 Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=KidHorn;21408118]If you can't notice anything when the TV is on, then stop being anal and just live with it. Who cares what it looks like when it's off? It's a big ugly black rectangle and nothing you did could possibly make it any uglier.[/

I would've thought the same thing when I was 19.
post #34 of 51 Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Would that void your warranty should it not work well and you want to return it?

This set came with the house so that's a non issue. I'm not even sure how old the set is. Any way to tell from the model?
post #35 of 51 Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

There was a nutjob here called something like IamNoobieCheez that took a buffer to his Panasonic's AR filter to remove it and he said he liked the picture better without the filter. A long time ago another guy used a razor blade to scrape his damaged filter off - it took him several hours and i think it left scratches in the glass. I would just continue to remove the rest of the AR filter until it's just plain glass (don't scrape with razor blades). The current entry level model (TC-P42X3) does not come with an AR filter and it still looks pretty good (albeit pretty reflective).

FWIW, the TH-42PX20U is a 2004 model that was selling for over $4,000 back then. I almost bought one as my first plasma but i chickened out

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #36 of 51 Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

That is hilarious. I think that's what I'll do sans razor blades. This is the most useful and helpful forum ive ever seen, btw.
post #37 of 51 Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

That is hilarious. I think that's what I'll do sans razor blades. This is the most useful and helpful forum ive ever seen, btw.

That outer glass that the AR filter is applied to is separate from the actual glass plasma panel underneath, and there is probably about a quarter inch of space between the two panes of glass so don't press too hard on the outer glass as there's nothing supporting it in the middle.

If you're handy, you could completely remove the outer bezel and that damaged outer glass (requires removing the rear cover first IIRC) if you want to do a thorough job of removing the filter from edge to edge (instead of trying to remove it right up next to the bezel).

And if you destroy it, used 42" plasmas are available on Craigslist for only a few hundred bucks

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #38 of 51 Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Just for reference I use Stoners Invisible glass and a good soft microfiger cloth.

I've wiped down the screen of my 58PZ800u dozens of times with this and never had a streak or marring. It even cleans the shinny black bezel around the screen flawlessly.
post #39 of 51 Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked: 11
If you wanted to wash the whole AR coating off, just get some pure ammonia and go for it.

My GF once wiped my CRT HDTV with Windex and put streaks into the AR. I bit the bullet and washed the AR completely off. In my mind I wanted it uniform, either perfect AR or none at all. Once I had the AR coating off, it was a breeze to clean it afterwards so that was a bonus.
post #40 of 51 Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the report: I also bit the bullet and took the AR coating completely off. It came off relatively easy, which leads me to wonder whether this coating becomes less stable (and thus easier to remove) over time. Who cares, I hope to never have to find out again. Anyway, the result is great, crystal clean glass. The days are still pretty short here in Maine, so the lack of AR doesn't yet seem to bother me. Frankly, I agree with whoever noted another member who liked it better without the AR. I do too.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and I've learned a valuable lesson, and tips, for cleaning my next plasma...which won't be far off. Thanks all.
post #41 of 51 Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Glad it finally worked out for you. A lesson for us all.
post #42 of 51 Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM

how did u remove it wow?
post #43 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post

how did u remove it wow?

I used the same product I initially used to start this whole mess: Windex Powerized Original with Ammonia-D. I think this stuff would strip oil based paint from a 300 year old New England church if you're a painter in a pinch.
post #44 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Well, the report: I also bit the bullet and took the AR coating completely off. It came off relatively easy, which leads me to wonder whether this coating becomes less stable (and thus easier to remove) over time. Who cares, I hope to never have to find out again. Anyway, the result is great, crystal clean glass. The days are still pretty short here in Maine, so the lack of AR doesn't yet seem to bother me. Frankly, I agree with whoever noted another member who liked it better without the AR. I do too.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and I've learned a valuable lesson, and tips, for cleaning my next plasma...which won't be far off. Thanks all.

Ahhh that explains this whole thread, you're a Mainiac!!!!

OT: What do you call a woman in Maine with all her teeth?

A tourist!!!!

Sorry Im from NH I couldnt resist!
post #45 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm from Falmouth, so not so much.

You know you're from New Hampshire if you don't think a liquor store in the middle of the highway is unusual.
post #46 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:

I'm from Falmouth, so not so much.

You know you're from New Hampshire if you don't think a liquor store in the middle of the highway is unusual.

You mean they are not supposed to be on either side of major highways???? I am shocked I say, SHOCKED!
post #47 of 51 Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 AM

FWIW - Windex now has a product they claim is for cleaning TV screens, computer monitors, etc. Work at an ACE Hardware support center - put it in an order for the first time yesterday, plus they now have a line of dry and wet cleaning cloths for the same electronics.
Twomotor
post #48 of 51 Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Is it worth getting the monoprice Blister pack for a few bucks? What about an anti-static brush?

Quote:

Universal Screen Cleaner (Large bottle, blister pack) for LCD & Plasmas TV, iPads, iPhones, Galaxy Tabs, and smartphones

You may not have noticed, but after a while, your bright and beautiful screen may have lost some of it's original luster. Much of that is probably due to air-borne dust and dirt that have accumulated on the screen's surface. This thin layer of dirt reduces your screen's clarity, brightness and color accuracy. The solution is simple. Give it a good cleaning.

But many household cleaners contain active ingredients that can damage your screens sensitive surface. Many screens have special coating that can be broken down if you use the wrong cleaning cleaners and clothes. These cleaners are great for all kinds of LCD displays including portable devices like the IOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod), smartphones, Galaxy Tabs, etc. Monoprice cleaning kits come with specially formulated solutions designed specifically for modern electronics and microfiber cleaning clothes that will not scratch delicate surfaces. The cleaning liquid is alcohol free and leaves a streak free finish. Easily remove the fingerprints and grime from your screen.

Features:
200mL Non-Drop Cleaning Liquid
Alcohol-free solution
30X30cm Microfiber Cloth
One set in blister packing

post #49 of 51 Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM

To the OP, glad you got the issue worked out! I had a mess myself one time cleaning the mirror inside a CRT RPTV, I had streaks and film everywhere from Windex......learned my lesson way back. It took hours to get it clean!

So.....ever since then, I took the advice from the RPTV forum years ago, and now I use this product on all of my sets, Plasma and LCD and have never had streaks or any issues: http://www.spraywayinc.com/products.php?id=050 Its also cheap, less than 3$ a can at Walmart.

Also, I tried the monoprice cleaner with the microfiber cloth.....terrible, left streaks everywhere...
post #50 of 51 Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma1038 View Post

Is it worth getting the monoprice Blister pack for a few bucks? What about an anti-static brush?

the monoprice cleaner and MF cloth works great for me
post #51 of 51 Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 PM

I know this has been a long time since you posted, but I did the same thing a few months ago. Did not read owners manual and without thinking sprayed my new 50" plasma with Windex. I noticed the next time I was cleaning that I had small spots on it that looked like specs of wax or something. Being stupid, I again did not look at the owners manual and sprays Windex on cloth then wiped. At this point my husband started to mention that he saw streaks on screen when it was off. It was then that I decided to took at the manual and saw my oops. I had nowhere to turn, tried water, soap and water, almost thought it was permanent. We just tried vinegar and water, and dried with lint free cloth. It seems to have fixed it. Hope everything worked out for you.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page