Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1640 Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

My explicit concern is I absolutely know what goes in at the arena in hockey and basketball that could be causing this, especially in an era of overly aggressive plasma ABLs.

I'm simply not buying a TV that's going to behave this oddly under normal content situations. If the problem can't easily be addressed with a setting adjustment, I'm just not even interested in hearing anymore.

That's me; your mileage may vary.

Not to be a dick but, you don't KNOW if these sets have these issues! That's all I'm saying... Just be patient for a few weeks until the sets start trickling into stores and into the hands of reviewers and users! ONE guy said he has an issue and it wasn't just sports it was games and bluray. Who's to say what the problem really was? Nevermind the fact that he went from an entry level panasonic to a flagship sony-- it'd be weird for your neighbor to go from a cruise to a CTS, right? I mean, those sets aren't exactly competing with one another now... My point is you don't know his setup or his components or what kind of connections he's using-- there is no way to troubleshoot a post. Hell, maybe his set was defective!

If I was The Dude I would call you guys a real bunch of reactionaries! Lol! Seriously, one little post and the entirety of panasonic's 2012 lineup is shot straight to hell! What kind of sense does that make?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1640 Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

If I was The Dude I would call you guys a real bunch of reactionaries! Lol! Seriously, one little post and the entirety of panasonic's 2012 lineup is shot straight to hell! What kind of sense does that make?

Given the history of panny plasmas, people's thoughts turn negative. This is normal. I highly doubt any reasonable thinker has already written the lineup off entirely. People are just talking about it because, as you also said, there's nothing else definitive to talk about yet.
post #333 of 1640 Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Nevermind the fact that he went from an entry level panasonic to a flagship sony--

Lol, that's true. This Dynex 720p plasma sucks, so I'm getting a Sharp Elite instead .

I agree, it's easy to overreact. I kind of think the poor guy maybe got a lemon. However, the issues with the Panny Plasmas the last few years (and Samsung too) have been less then desirable.

But, I must confess, I hold Panasonic to a higher standard then a lot of other TV manufacturers. Especially their top tier sets.

We'll all know real soon here what's up.
post #334 of 1640 Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:

Not to be a dick but, you don't KNOW if these sets have these issues!

Not to be a dick, but I never said I did.

What I said was: "I'm simply not buying a TV that's going to behave this oddly under normal content situations. If the problem can't easily be addressed with a setting adjustment, I'm just not even interested in hearing anymore."

Please don't quote me out of context for whatever agenda you're after.

My point is my point: If this problem is real and cannot be corrected via a menu option, I personally am ruling out Panasonic plasmas. Period. This kind of glitch is a deal breaker.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #335 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
post #336 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 AM

Looks to be a pretty positive review. Might have to go with the 55ST50 in the very near future.
post #337 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just to help the situation. I believe the brightness blooming is actually a broadcast issue. I have noticed it on nbcsports and foxsports stations where they seem to have "adaptive contrast" and the bloom occurs anytime the camera pans over center ice. This could happen in any basketball too, say if the floor was lighter wood with a big center logo.

Anyways carry on, and thanks for the pro calibrator review. Love seeing that the ANSI contrast beat last years full on/off ratio! Can't wait to see what the GT and VT can do.
post #338 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 AM

Sounds like they made some welcome improvements with PQ. This is very good news. Also cool that Ed Johnson calibrated.

Still, I've often noticed, with a lot of these positive reviews (cnet, *******************, etc.) they don't get to spend the time with the models that a lot of us here do (because we purchase them), so issues usually arise once people have them in their homes.

But, I'll admit, this is exciting news so far. One review down, hundreds to go
post #339 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

Sounds like they made some welcome improvements with PQ. This is very good news. Also cool that Ed Johnson calibrated.

Still, I've often noticed, with a lot of these positive reviews (cnet, *******************, etc.) they don't get to spend the time with the models that a lot of us here do (because we purchase them), so issues usually arise once people have them in their homes.

But, I'll admit, this is exciting news so far. One review down, hundreds to go

I'm waiting for the D-Nice review and the official D-Nice 2012 panasonic Settings/Issues thread
post #340 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

I'm waiting for the D-Nice review and the official D-Nice 2012 panasonic Settings/Issues thread

Can't go wrong there.
post #341 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Review unit will be in my hands tomorrow.... technically not in my hands as I will not be home when it arrives (90 miles away on business). I may have to drive home tomorrow night for a few hours of testing. Settings will be available sometime next week on HDJ. AVS availability is TBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

post #342 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Review unit will be in my hands tomorrow.... technically not in my hands as I will not be home when it arrives (90 miles away on business). I may have to drive home tomorrow night for a few hours of testing. Settings will be available sometime next week on HDJ. AVS availability is TBD.

Dnice, which model are you getting to review? Vt50?
post #343 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks D-Nice, i can't wait your review and yours settings thread here or on HDJ
post #344 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ST50 tomorrow. GT50 and VT50 will be later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Dnice, which model are you getting to review? Vt50?

post #345 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

A-w-e-s-o-m-e.
post #346 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvizio View Post

a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

+10000
post #347 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 13
Is the hockey effect you guys are talking about the result of the ABL? I know that on my Samsung 59D7000 the ABL definitely has an effect on hockey - when the ice takes up the majority of the screen it dims a bit, then when the camera pans to each end and the crowd takes up 1/3 of the screen the brightness ramps back up.

It's kind of annoying, and I never noticed it on my 2008 Panasonic set - but I was under the impression that all manufacturers have this now.

I'll be interested to see if Panasonic fixed/fixes this issue - it could result in me trying to exchange my Samsung.
post #348 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggybong View Post

Looks like Best Buy online has the UT50 50" in stock now as well as a couple of stores in my area:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...UT50&cp=1&lp=1

I'm waiting for them to get the 50ST50, so hopefully not too much longer.

BB by me had a UT50 in the box in the back when I stopped in on Saturday. Hoping they get it out on the floor soon to compare it to the ST30 they still have on display.
post #349 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:

Can't wait to hear your impressions. Really, I can't wait. Sad, I know

Chad will be doing our's TC-P55ST50 up. We waited, as we wanted something from another manufacturer's 2012 line up to compare it to That will be a surprise Happening later this week .......
post #350 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Chad will be doing our's TC-P55ST50 up. We waited, as we wanted something from another manufacturer's 2012 line up to compare it to That will be a surprise Happening later this week .......

Man, this is getting juicy!
post #351 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I am waiting to see how the UT50 compares to the ST50 in terms of video processing and pic quality. Last year, the S30 was somewhat of an inferior stepchild in that regard. However, this year, the ST50 sounds like a bit of an upgrade that may be more worthy of consideration.
post #352 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:

ST50 tomorrow. GT50 and VT50 will be later.

Sorry if this is a silly question... my Samsung DLP (LED set from 2007) just started to fail over this weekend ( multiple stuck mirrors ) so I pulled the trigger on a ST50... should be here end of this week.

I assume you are going to suggest similiar slide procedures? Trying to decide if I let this thing sit in the box until settings/procedures are available.
post #353 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This year is going to be different. More than likely I will either have a set of setting for right out of the box and after X amount of hours of panel aging (there will be new panel aging slides this year too)... or...eliminate the panel aging procedure all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain View Post

Sorry if this is a silly question... my Samsung DLP (LED set from 2007) just started to fail over this weekend ( multiple stuck mirrors ) so I pulled the trigger on a ST50... should be here end of this week.

I assume you are going to suggest similiar slide procedures? Trying to decide if I let this thing sit in the box until settings/procedures are available.

post #354 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:

This year is going to be different. More than likely I will either have a set of setting for right out of the box and after X amount of hours of panel aging (there will be new panel aging slides this year too)... or...eliminate the panel aging procedure all together.

Interesting.
post #355 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Any specific technical rationale behind this?
post #356 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Plenty, but no time to discuss right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGoldfish View Post

Any specific technical rationale behind this?

post #357 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the information I guess i'll let it sit until you have time to evaluate/determine procedures... this is my first plasma so i'm a little hesitant as to how to best make sure is is treated appropriately out of the box.
post #358 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by domain View Post

Thanks for the information I guess i'll let it sit until you have time to evaluate/determine procedures... this is my first plasma so i'm a little hesitant as to how to best make sure is is treated appropriately out of the box.

Same here. Looking forward to the new procedures and reasoning behind them.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #359 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:

Man, this is getting juicy!

You do not even know the half of it as these are coming in too, Swan M808 :
At CES, I just had to have them ! The Fit and finish was just breath taking,
can't wait to hook them up to 1000 watt mono blocks and check the sound quality!

post #360 of 1640 Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

You do not even know the half of it as these are coming in too, Swan M808 :
At CES, I just had to have them ! The Fit and finish was just breath taking,
can't wait to hook them up to 1000 watt mono blocks and check the sound quality!

Wow... those are beautiful. It must be like Christmas for you
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page