Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

LG and Samsung have struggled more than Panasonic or pioneer when it comes to IR. for some reason, last years (2011) Panasonic GT/VT Plasmas have far worse IR than is typical for Panasonic. I own a 2011 S and I have yet to experience any issues with IR although, admittedly, I haven't tried any torture tests yet.

I agree that as a Plasma owner for over 10 years, you behavior adapts.

However, the other night, I fell asleep watching Netflix. The screen returned to the static display. I woke up an hour later turned the display off and went to bed.

The next morning, I turned on the display, there is a blue screen while the components turn on. The image was still there. I could see it during content but I had to look for it.

Eventually, it disappeared so it is IR and burn in.

That is the way it is.

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I read this somewhere regarding the toslink output:

"The optical Tos Link output unfortunately limits the surround sound to 2 channel audio."

Will this be the case for both ST and GT series? My Samsung outputs 5.1 through the toslink output. I was hoping I could do the same thing with the Panasonics.

Also, I'm a bit worried after reading about a faint green line about 2 inches from the right, top to bottom, on one of the new Panasonics. I can't remember which forum I read it in. Also a uk review on the st50 mentions a very faint green spot in the center of the screen which is almost invisible. These worry me.

from hdtvtest:

"The same pattern which instantly revealed the “green splats” on the 2011 model (the APL clipping pattern on the AVSHD test disc) does reveal a very slight yellow-green tint in the centre of the panel, but it’s incredibly subtle – we wouldn’t have noticed it if we hadn’t been on the lookout for uniformity issues, and we didn’t find it during actual viewing – although it stands to reason that if it appears with test patterns, the possibility does exist of it being visible."

Any thoughts on these 2 issues?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
I've had my current plasma for 6ish years and owned a Pioneer and Panasonic before that for some periods.

My behavior has adapted in the other direction. I don't hesitate to hit "Pause". I don't worry about 20 mins of black bars on the sides any more than I'd worry about watching a 2.35:1 movie for 2 hours.

I mean, I don't sit there with menus up for hours (unless its completely by mistake), but I also don't even think about babying the TV.

I'll say this: If I felt like a new plasma required a lot of babying, I'd be much more hesitant to buy one.

And you may ask yourself well how did I get here?
And you may ask yourself am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself: What have I done?!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Once you let the trolls run the bridge, you have a bridge run by trolls. I'll be back.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

The simple fact is that when you live with plasma you tend to get in a routine with it: you don't leave static images up, you learn to like 4:3 content stretched across the screen, you no longer bitch about commercials breaks as you now see them as a needed reprieve from the station ID logo... Etc.

One thing I can't stand is stretched 4:3 content. I don't understand how people can be so picky with their video quality that they insist on plasma, yet are ok with watching stretched content. I watch 4:3 material on my 2011 Samsung plasma, and I definitely get image retention of the black bars pretty bad, even after viewing only a 1-hour show in 4:3. I also mix it up alot with 16:9 viewing, but between 4:3 and 2:35:1, I definitely get those black bars retained.

Are people really expected to watch nothing but 16:9 on a plasma? What about decades of 4:3 tv shows on DVD and thousands of 2:35:1 aspect films? We're supposed to just not watch them anymore, or watch everything distorted? What's the point of a beautiful plasma set with wonderful black levels only to watch everything distorted - oval planets instead of round, stretched faces, etc.

If I can't watch it in the correct aspect ratio, I'm not interested.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I've had my current plasma for 6ish years and owned a Pioneer and Panasonic before that for some periods.

My behavior has adapted in the other direction. I don't hesitate to hit "Pause". I don't worry about 20 mins of black bars on the sides any more than I'd worry about watching a 2.35:1 movie for 2 hours.

I mean, I don't sit there with menus up for hours (unless its completely by mistake), but I also don't even think about babying the TV.

I'll say this: If I felt like a new plasma required a lot of babying, I'd be much more hesitant to buy one.

Don't buy a 2011 GT/VT...

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I agree that as a Plasma owner for over 10 years, you behavior adapts.

However, the other night, I fell asleep watching Netflix. The screen returned to the static display. I woke up an hour later turned the display off and went to bed.

The next morning, I turned on the display, there is a blue screen while the components turn on. The image was still there. I could see it during content but I had to look for it.

Eventually, it disappeared so it is IR and burn in.

That is the way it is.

- Rich

Don't understand what you're trying to say here-- that it was IR and burn-in-- Clarify?

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

One thing I can't stand is stretched 4:3 content. I don't understand how people can be so picky with their video quality that they insist on plasma, yet are ok with watching stretched content. I watch 4:3 material on my 2011 Samsung plasma, and I definitely get image retention of the black bars pretty bad, even after viewing only a 1-hour show in 4:3. I also mix it up alot with 16:9 viewing, but between 4:3 and 2:35:1, I definitely get those black bars retained.

Are people really expected to watch nothing but 16:9 on a plasma? What about decades of 4:3 tv shows on DVD and thousands of 2:35:1 aspect films? We're supposed to just not watch them anymore, or watch everything distorted? What's the point of a beautiful plasma set with wonderful black levels only to watch everything distorted - oval planets instead of round, stretched faces, etc.

If I can't watch it in the correct aspect ratio, I'm not interested.

For the most part, if it's 4:3 it's probably SD and if it's SD than it probably looks like poop anyway!

My criticality fluctuates with the source-- the better the source the more interested I am in catering the right environment to suit it. I don't watch happy Gilmore on tv the same way I watch Tron legacy on bluray. But that's just me. Also, the best shows have been remastered for 16:9. Sure, you lose a bit of the picture but I like the experience of watching it in widescreen better.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I read this somewhere regarding the toslink output:

"The optical Tos Link output unfortunately limits the surround sound to 2 channel audio."

Will this be the case for both ST and GT series? My Samsung outputs 5.1 through the toslink output. I was hoping I could do the same thing with the Panasonics.

Also, I'm a bit worried after reading about a faint green line about 2 inches from the right, top to bottom, on one of the new Panasonics. I can't remember which forum I read it in. Also a uk review on the st50 mentions a very faint green spot in the center of the screen which is almost invisible. These worry me.

from hdtvtest:

"The same pattern which instantly revealed the "green splats" on the 2011 model (the APL clipping pattern on the AVSHD test disc) does reveal a very slight yellow-green tint in the centre of the panel, but it's incredibly subtle - we wouldn't have noticed it if we hadn't been on the lookout for uniformity issues, and we didn't find it during actual viewing - although it stands to reason that if it appears with test patterns, the possibility does exist of it being visible."

Any thoughts on these 2 issues?

What kind of thoughts are you looking for? Toslink issue is pretty cut-and-dry: it doesn't support 5.1!

As for the blobs-- it should concern you. The 2011 sets were rampant with this issue. If you decide to buy a 2012... Good luck!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
toslink supports up to 7.1 lossy/compressed (DTS/DD), not lossless/uncompressed/pcm (limited to 2ch). the comment is a little vague (perhaps taken out of context).

edit: this seems to be taken from the VE review. it's not taken out of context, but it is a little vague.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Don't understand what you're trying to say here-- that it was IR and burn-in-- Clarify?

IR is Image Retention: The image is present on the screen but fades away.

Burn In: The panel has worn evenly and the image will be darker in that area and may not over go away. It may go away in a long time when the panel ages to that level but it is unlikely.

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 03-24-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I think he's confused by your wording.
"Eventually, it disappeared so it is IR and burn in."
Did you mean that it was IR and NOT burn in? I think it was pretty clear what you meant though...
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:

Not really.

Not to discount anyone here that has had trouble with persistent IR and/or burn-in but these tend to be exceptions rather than the rule. Put it this way, if you're the kind of person that turns on a DVD menu or video game home screen and walks away-- plasma might not be for you. The simple fact is that when you live with plasma you tend to get in a routine with it: you don't leave static images up, you learn to like 4:3 content stretched across the screen, you no longer bitch about commercials breaks as you now see them as a needed reprieve from the station ID logo... Etc.

LG and Samsung have struggled more than Panasonic or pioneer when it comes to IR. for some reason, last years (2011) Panasonic GT/VT Plasmas have far worse IR than is typical for panasonic. I own a 2011 S and I have yet to experience any issues with IR although, admittedly, I haven't tried any torture tests yet.

but I also should be able to enjoy my TV without having to worry about not watching ESPN for too many hours etc (I don't leave the TV on for 24 hours or anything crazy either...it's just normal TV usage)...I happen to love sports so I watch a lot of it on my TV...the fact that plasma owners can't watch TV the way they want to is not a good thing...I should be able to watch my favorite channels or movies for hours on end and not have to worry about IR or other such issues

the issue on my VT30 is not that big of a deal but it's definitely there if you look hard enough...I ran the slides for 150 hours as break in and had it professionally calibrated so it's definitely not because of any prep mistakes on my part

I'll try running those same color slides for around 12 hours and see if that helps or maybe find this static bar...either way it's a PITA if I have to constantly do this as part of routine maintenance
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

but I also should be able to enjoy my TV without having to worry about not watching ESPN for too many hours etc (I don't leave the TV on for 24 hours or anything crazy either...it's just normal TV usage)...I happen to love sports so I watch a lot of it on my TV...the fact that plasma owners can't watch TV the way they want to is not a good thing...I should be able to watch my favorite channels or movies for hours on end and not have to worry about IR or other such issues

the issue on my VT30 is not that big of a deal but it's definitely there if you look hard enough...I ran the slides for 150 hours as break in and had it professionally calibrated so it's definitely not because of any prep mistakes on my part

I'll try running those same color slides for around 12 hours and see if that helps or maybe find this static bar...either way it's a PITA if I have to constantly do this as part of routine maintenance

Everybody needs to relax. Plasmas have come a long way. Burn in is the exception rather than the norm. I don't baby my ST30, either. I watch 4:3 with black bars for hours at a time and I watch ESPN plenty, too. I pause live TV for an hour straight (screen savers kick in so that really doesn't matter).
The worst I've ever had is very faint IR which went away with minimal effort.

If IR is better on the 50 series then I find that impressive.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

IR is Image Retention: The image is present on the screen but fades away.

Burn In: The panel has worn evenly and the image will be darker in that area and may not over go away. It may go away in a long time when the panel ages to that level but it is unlikely.

- Rich

I know what IR and burn-in are... But you seemed to indicate it was BOTH. I was asking which was it, IR or burn-in?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Everybody needs to relax. Plasmas have come a long way. Burn in is the exception rather than the norm. I don't baby my ST30, either. I watch 4:3 with black bars for hours at a time and I watch ESPN plenty, too. I pause live TV for an hour straight (screen savers kick in so that really doesn't matter).
The worst I've ever had is very faint IR which went away with minimal effort.

If IR is better on the 50 series then I find that impressive.

You never know when it will be a problem until you have it and can't get rid of it. What really stinks is that if you end up with IR that borders on burn-in or actual burn-in Panasonic won't fix it or replace the set.

IR is worse on some models than others. From what I've heard it was worse on the VT30 than it has been in awhile.

Personally, I don't think it will be a problem with the 2012 models, but then, I don't think anyone expected it with the VT30 last year either.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand and I agree with you. I really believe that the GT30/VT30 represent a marked regression for Panasonic on the IR front. The experience that you're having isn't exceptional but it IS NOT typical for the brand as a whole. If your plasma was branded with a little LG or Samsung name plate I would be telling you that's what you should have expected. But it's a Panasonic and the overwhelming sentiment from Panasonic owners is that they don't experience persistent IR.... Except for on some of the 2011 panels! Lucky you, right?

Please, don't misunderstand me on this: I'm not suggesting that anyone SHOULD change their viewing habits or have to take precautions against IR-- just that you tend to get used to those little things when you own a plasma. IR is a characteristic of plasma regardless of how minimal (or how much) an issue it is. It's a fact of ownership. If that bothers you then my suggestion would be to look to LCD (and avoid OLED like the plague when it lands later this year). LCD-- despite some of the opinions around here-- can produce a beautiful picture with satisfying motion and good blacks. Sure, there are some disadvantages vs plasma but the advantages, including NO IR/burn-in, are numerous.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand and I agree with you. I really believe that the GT30/VT30 represent a marked regression for Panasonic on the IR front. The experience that you're having isn't exceptional but it IS NOT typical for the brand as a whole. If your plasma was branded with a little LG or Samsung name plate I would be telling you that's what you should have expected. But it's a Panasonic and the overwhelming sentiment from Panasonic owners is that they don't experience persistent IR.... Except for on some of the 2011 panels! Lucky you, right?

I actually think that a lot more people have IR on their plasmas but just don't notice it...it's very faint on mine and I only went to look for it after someone else with a VT30 told me that they had bad IR/burn-in on their set...I told him I had none on mine but then decided to test with an all white slide...it's only then that I saw it...never would have noticed it otherwise

I think most owners just look at normal content and don't see any IR so they assume they don't have it...if more people viewed a solid white color background I think they would be surprised
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Please, don't misunderstand me on this: I'm not suggesting that anyone SHOULD change their viewing habits or have to take precautions against IR-- just that you tend to get used to those little things when you own a plasma. IR is a characteristic of plasma regardless of how minimal (or how much) an issue it is. It's a fact of ownership. If that bothers you then my suggestion would be to look to LCD (and avoid OLED like the plague when it lands later this year). LCD-- despite some of the opinions around here-- can produce a beautiful picture with satisfying motion and good blacks. Sure, there are some disadvantages vs plasma but the advantages, including NO IR/burn-in, are numerous.

I asked you this question in another thread but you chose to not respond so I'll ask you again What data are you basing your information on that Panasonic has less IR than Samsung?

Mike

Old 03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

toslink supports up to 7.1 lossy/compressed (DTS/DD), not lossless/uncompressed/pcm (limited to 2ch). the comment is a little vague (perhaps taken out of context).

edit: this seems to be taken from the VE review. it's not taken out of context, but it is a little vague.

I'm sure it is the same as with any display: digital audio output from a TV (TOSLINK or ARC) will only support multi-channel surround sound (5.1) from an OTA source, if you have any external source (set-top box, video game console, disc player, etc) running audio in to the TV and out through the TV's digital output, it will be in stereo only.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI there have only been 2 posts to the Master thread I see since 2007.

Here's something interesting.

per xrox in the Master Burn-in thread

"Samsung has done some research on Plasma image ghosting in order to find the true cause. They have found the following:

Image Retention: Caused by residual wall charge left in a cell after discharge. The residual charge increases the discharge probability of the cell and reduces the discharge delay time resulting in a brighter luminance than normal. Image retention can be removed by short periods of white wash or normal program viewing. In other words it is easily removed.

Image Sticking: Caused by excessive sputtering of MgO onto the phosphor material and cell wall during excessive sustained discharge. It is usually characterized as having a slightly brighter ghost image on a dark screen and a slightly darker ghost image on a bright screen. This is a semi-permanent phenomenon. However, it has been found that a white wash of 100hours can completely resolve the image stick.

Burn-In As we all know is uneven-phosphor aging and is permanent. It is also the most difficult to achieve and therefore the most unlikely scenario."

Evidently, the term Burn-In has been defined as uneven aging due to the black bars displayed when viewing 4:3 or 2.35:1 programming on a 16:9 display on a CRT or RPTV and now plasma.

Maybe we should start calling Burn_in Image Sticking and confuse the ... out of everybody.

From a victim of Burn-In ... ugh... Image Sticking.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

I asked you this question in another thread but you chose to not respond so I'll ask you again What data are you basing your information on that Panasonic has less IR than Samsung?

Specifically? My 2008 46pz800u that has seen over 40 days (DAYS) of mw2 play and nearly as much halo 3 and not a hint of IR. My 2 friends 2010 B and C 550 series samsung plasmas have similar play time and have severe uneven wear at the ammo counter, accessories map and XP bar that is visible during regular content. In addition: info and experiences I've accumulated over the last 6 years surfing forums, reading reviews and purchasing sets for friends and family. You're welcome to disagree and/or challenge me if you think that this isn't true. I'm not implying that Samsung/lg are somehow worse-- just that in the case of IR, which is a trait of plasma, my experience, as well as that of many others, is that Panasonic typically has fewer issues with uneven wear, IR and burn in. There are over a dozen Panasonic plasmas in use in just my immediate family ALONE and not one has exhibited any form of persistent or severe IR. Agreed this is a small sample of the hundreds of thousands of units sole but my experience echoes that of thousands on this forum and others. Cnet editor David K felt so confident that burn-in was a relic of plasmas past he called it a "bugaboo".

Edit: wrong model numbers for samsungs...

Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

I'm sure it is the same as with any display: digital audio output from a TV (TOSLINK or ARC) will only support multi-channel surround sound (5.1) from an OTA source, if you have any external source (set-top box, video game console, disc player, etc) running audio in to the TV and out through the TV's digital output, it will be in stereo only.

This is my experience .

Old 03-24-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Quote:

Don't buy a 2011 GT/VT...

Not going to. Am worried about the 2012s however.

And you may ask yourself well how did I get here?
And you may ask yourself am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself: What have I done?!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Once you let the trolls run the bridge, you have a bridge run by trolls. I'll be back.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Specifically? My 2008 46pz800u that has seen over 40 days (DAYS) of mw2 play and nearly as much halo 3 and not a hint of IR. My 2 friends 2010 B and C 550 series samsung plasmas have similar play time and have severe uneven wear at the ammo counter, accessories map and XP bar that is visible during regular content. In addition: info and experiences I've accumulated over the last 6 years surfing forums, reading reviews and purchasing sets for friends and family. You're welcome to disagree and/or challenge me if you think that this isn't true. I'm not implying that Samsung/lg are somehow worse-- just that in the case of IR, which is a trait of plasma, my experience, as well as that of many others, is that Panasonic typically has fewer issues with uneven wear, IR and burn in. There are over a dozen Panasonic plasmas in use in just my immediate family ALONE and not one has exhibited any form of persistent or severe IR. Agreed this is a small sample of the hundreds of thousands of units sole but my experience echoes that of thousands on this forum and others. Cnet editor David K felt so confident that burn-in was a relic of plasmas past he called it a "bugaboo".

Edit: wrong model numbers for samsungs...

Might I make this proposal.

In the future have all plasma manufacturers agree to add technology to each set to track picture settings, type of source material, hours viewed and detection of possible IR/Burn-In. Then upload the results periodically to a data "cloud" for analysis and public consumption. It might assist buyers in finding the plasma of their dreams.

Seriously, this is one way and probably the only way to properly resolve the question at hand, by using accurate data. ..."We have the technology."
Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoyote View Post

Might I make this proposal.

In the future have all plasma manufacturers agree to add technology to each set to track picture settings, type of source material, hours viewed and detection of possible IR/Burn-In. Then upload the results periodically to a data "cloud" for analysis and public consumption. It might assist buyers in finding the plasma of their dreams.

Seriously, this is one way and probably the only way to properly resolve the question at hand, by using accurate data. ..."We have the technology."

or simply buy a high quality LCD-LED and be done with all this anquish. Is a plasma really worth all this pain and worry nowdays? Are they THAT much superior? Seems to be so many ,many issues--I am really starting to wonder.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I actually think that a lot more people have IR on their plasmas but just don't notice it...it's very faint on mine and I only went to look for it after someone else with a VT30 told me that they had bad IR/burn-in on their set...I told him I had none on mine but then decided to test with an all white slide...it's only then that I saw it...never would have noticed it otherwise

I think most owners just look at normal content and don't see any IR so they assume they don't have it...if more people viewed a solid white color background I think they would be surprised

I'm sure most people have seen a white screen. Gamers easily will see one, and even when watching TV there are plenty of commercials that bring up white screens.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

I'm sure most people have seen a white screen. Gamers easily will see one, and even when watching TV there are plenty of commercials that bring up white screens.

I'm talking about a full white screen...commercials will display certain colors for a few nanoseconds but you really need a full white/light screen (or at least running the scrolling bar would make it show as well)...plus with logos etc they would only appear in the bottom corners...point being that I'm sure there are a lot of plasma owners with temporary or not-so-temporary IR that don't see it because not many people run slides or are looking for it outside of normal TV content
Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I know what IR and burn-in are... But you seemed to indicate it was BOTH. I was asking which was it, IR or burn-in?

IR.

- Rich

Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Crowder View Post

or simply buy a high quality LCD-LED and be done with all this anquish. Is a plasma really worth all this pain and worry nowdays? Are they THAT much superior? Seems to be so many ,many issues--I am really starting to wonder.

I was on the LED/plasma fence, too. But, the superior blacks and 3D tipped the scales. And, I got burned with Burn-In on my ST30, pun intended. But, I'm sticking with the ST50 for now.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Crowder View Post

I'll be able to comment on this better in one month's time.

For now I'll simply state that nothing comes close to plasma PQ, IMO, for the PRICE.

Edit: also, I've never had an issue with plasma OTHER than the black level rise on my 2008... And that set is still darker than the A650 from the same year.

Also, you have to understand that the more critical viewer tends to prefer plasma... And they tend to be more critical! Lol! I bet half the issues are non-factors for most people. Just like most of my friends with LCDs never bother to notice how the picture changes when move down the couch a bit...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv