Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoemeat View Post

So release is in may or June huh.. Is there a price point for the models yet?

Nope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I said they are roughly the same. The 65" VT30 averages around 0.0036fL while the 65" ST/GT30 measure around 0.0039fL.

If anyone can tell the difference between .0003fL in plain viewing I give them made props. Thanks for clearing that up though. .0039fL is pretty impressive on the ST. You are basically getting 8g Kuro black levels for bargain prices.

That is, unless the 60 and 65s will eventually rise (had to throw it out there, doubt you will respond).
post #63 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What does Panasonic mean when they say this in the 2012 plasma info?

"This new panel combines a new, optimal drive method and a screen that is about 1.5 times* as bright as previous types."

"*For APL 20% of VT series."

buytme
post #64 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.digitaltrends.com/ces-vid...hter-displays/

According to this guy, the new Panasonic plasma will be "about 50% brighter than comparable models from last year." I find that interesting, lets see if that pans out. It's also nice to note that they have even faster phosphors (which is great since I'm a big gamer).
post #65 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul33993 View Post

Can you ask if they're upgraded to the new HDMI chip that can can 1080P 3D @60fps?

No sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM

Has anyone released any videos of demos being played on the 2012's yet? I was really hoping for more info out of Ces maybe I'm talkin to soon
post #67 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post

You can see a comparison of 2012 vs 2011 plasma panels, complete with pictures, here:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...ies/index.html

Geez, the 2012 images look leaps and bounds better than the 2011 ones, but I am leery that the actual real-world experience will be anywhere close.

I dont see the extreme motion blur, dull colors, or washed out blacks on My vt30 that they are depicted on their 2011 marketing images...
post #68 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Because consumer electronics companies feel the need to offer 27 different models of every product they sell. At this point it seems they're artificially limiting products in order to create more premium products. The ST has a top-notch panel, but if you want picture that's at least moderately accurate you'll have to pony up for the GT model with THX certification. Want to be able to watch that TV in a well-lit room? Well then you'll have to step up to the VT model with AR coating. I feel like we're dealing with used car salesmen here

I don't see a problem with the TV makers offering 3 or 4 upgraded versions with higher performance yet being all based on the same platform. That keeps cost down.

Since you mention car salesmen, i liken it to how you can go to a BMW dealership and choose (A) a base model 328i with regular suspension and regular wheels and tires, or (B) the same exact 328i but with an optional Sport Package with stiffer suspension and larger alloy wheels and wider grippier tires and more comfort features, or (C) a fully loaded M3 with even stiffer suspension, bigger wider wheels and tires, more horsepower, and even more creature comforts inside. All three of these cars are built using the exact same body shell and suspension pick up points. All car makers do this, and all TV makers do this. If i want a car that is capable of performing the way i need it to perform, want a TV that performs better than the lower models. i can choose the most expensive model.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #69 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post

So from what I'm reading, the ST50 has the exact same panel as the GT50 and VT50. Why would one spend hundreds, if not thousands, more for a GT50/VT50 when the actual panel is the same? Aesthetics?

Actually like the looks of all of the new sets - including the ST50.

But as for Performance, see that the GT50 mentions 24,576 Steps of Gradation,
1,080p Pure Direct, and Pure Image Creation as Picture Quality features that the ST50 (apparently) does not share.

Along with THX, of course.

Am intrigued by the "8-Train Speakers" though!
post #70 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Any idea when the ST and GT will be available for consumer purchase?
post #71 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't see a problem with the TV makers offering 3 or 4 upgraded versions with higher performance yet being all based on the same platform. That keeps cost down.

Since you mention car salesmen, i liken it to how you can go to a BMW dealership and choose (A) a base model 328i with regular suspension and regular wheels and tires, or (B) the same exact 328i but with an optional Sport Package with stiffer suspension and larger alloy wheels and wider grippier tires and more comfort features, or (C) a fully loaded M3 with even stiffer suspension, bigger wider wheels and tires, more horsepower, and even more creature comforts inside. All three of these cars are built using the exact same body shell and suspension pick up points. All car makers do this, and all TV makers do this. If i want a car that is capable of performing the way i need it to perform, want a TV that performs better than the lower models. i can choose the most expensive model.

I agree with you, only it doesn't appear that a higher-end model Panasonic offers more horsepower or bigger wider wheels. Stylistically they get better looking as you go up the line, sure. But the ST model is like a fully-loaded car with the steering deliberately left out of alignment and an awful glare reflecting off the windows. The GT model has aligned steering, and if you step up to the VT model they'll align that steering and they'll take care of that nasty glare on the windows, too.

As far as I'm concerned, calibrated picture and anti-glare coating should be standard for any television, regardless of price. But obviously that's not how the CE companies see it.

for my home theater setup
post #72 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Don't know if anyone has posted this, but David K. of CNet provides a nice up-close and personal quick review of the VT50. Should give you an idea of the styling.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/panasonic-vt5...?tag=cnetRiver
post #73 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Also, blacks were not as good on the ST as they were on the GT and VT. There is a possibility that the GT might be able to get past the .005 ft/L level that it's been at for the last 2 years.

Hopefully Robert will do a comparision for 2011 v. 2012. That would show a lot.

Im lost? IF YOU WANT BETTER BLACKS GET THE TOP OF THE LINE TV. Are you all upset that the new Camaro isn't as fast as a new Corvette???? Both Chevrolet, different model
post #74 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

Im lost? IF YOU WANT BETTER BLACKS GET THE TOP OF THE LINE TV. Are you all upset that the new Camaro isn't as fast as a new Corvette???? Both Chevrolet, different model

no yelling. no one is upset, we are just in the early stages of discussion and trying to figure out the performance of each model. everyone knows that the best blacks will be in the top of the line VT50, the question most are trying to figure out is ...how good is the ST and GT compared to the VT, and is the difference worth the money (a personal question).
post #75 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
While we are early in this discussion, the ST holds the most promise for me (even though I am a happy GT30 owner. Panasonic has (albeit very late) cleaned up its design and it will likely offer similar performance to the GT series save THX presets.
post #76 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx View Post

jesus christ you think it would kill them to offer one high end model in the 42"-46" size.

Are you asking Him, or telling Him?
post #77 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx View Post

bedroom. dont need a 50" tv when you're watching from 4-5 feet away.

+1, exactly ! I want a 42" or so, but with pic quality and good looks.
post #78 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

What does Panasonic mean when they say this in the 2012 plasma info?

"This new panel combines a new, optimal drive method and a screen that is about 1.5 times* as bright as previous types."

"*For APL 20% of VT series."

They are trying to say in some typical movie scenarios, where the average picture levels are 20% (in an artificial scenario, say a blob of 20% of the size of the screen was pure white, rest was black), the 2012 plasma would be 50% brighter than the 2011 in such a scene.
post #79 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Not to get too side tracked, but the M3 doesn't share many body panels with the standard 3 series. It has a wider track (not just wider tires) and the suspension geometry / pick up points are different. I won't even get into drivetrain differences. What you can read into VT / GT differences, I won't speculate
post #80 of 1640 Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 523
The prices of the 2012 models are going to look a lot like the 2011 models, except if you needed to guess which direction to move them, you should look to move them toward zero, not away from zero.

For example, the VT30 was introduced at an MSRP of $4499 (I believe). So a VT50 at a price of $3999 should not shock you. A price of $3499 (MSRP) should shock you. A price as high as last year's is not out of the question, but is unlikely given the competitive forces in the industry. The above hypothetical discussion is based on conversations with Panasonic, but quotes no one, uses figures for illustrative purposes only, and should not be construed as suggesting anyone specifically intimated a particular MSRP for any model.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #81 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

http://www.digitaltrends.com/ces-vid...hter-displays/

According to this guy, the new Panasonic plasma will be "about 50% brighter than comparable models from last year." I find that interesting, lets see if that pans out. It's also nice to note that they have even faster phosphors (which is great since I'm a big gamer).

Darn, just when I thought it was safe to back into the video store.

With the big price drop on the 2011 models, as usually happens at this time every year, I was preparing to buy the 60 or 65 inch GT, but it sounds like Panasonic has reinvented the plasma. We all know when the bug bites its hard to resist, but I may have to fight it off and see how these new plasmas perform.
post #82 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Let me shorten your 131 words.

"Nobody that knows is talking, so who knows."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The prices of the 2012 models are going to look a lot like the 2011 models, except if you needed to guess which direction to move them, you should look to move them toward zero, not away from zero.

For example, the VT30 was introduced at an MSRP of $4499 (I believe). So a VT50 at a price of $3999 should not shock you. A price of $3499 (MSRP) should shock you. A price as high as last year's is not out of the question, but is unlikely given the competitive forces in the industry. The above hypothetical discussion is based on conversations with Panasonic, but quotes no one, uses figures for illustrative purposes only, and should not be construed as suggesting anyone specifically intimated a particular MSRP for any model.

buytme
post #83 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 AM

They say this is the 55 vt 50 in a complete black room??
LL
post #84 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperuc View Post

you need data with numbers, a photo is just a photo.
post #85 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 AM

With all this "new technology" and "rebuilt from the ground up" also comes a high probability of new problems and bugs for the early adopters.
post #86 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi all,
This isn't specifically related to the 2012 Panasonic plasmas, but as I decide when/how to upgrade my S2 I was hoping to understand how some of the new "trends" in TVs will affect Panasonic plasmas.

I'm not talking about apps, but in particular,
1) 2.35:1 screen dimension: I'm not particularly interested in this right now, since my understanding is that blu-rays aren't anamorphic and would actually need to be stretched/adjusted to fill the screen properly. Regardless, has anybody heard anything about this screen size and any plasma?

2) 4K. I'm more interested in this, but to my understanding this has only been discussed/shown for LCDs. I haven't seen mention of this for OLED (I know this is still in its infancy, so I don't want to get off topic on OLED) or plasma. Has anyone heard anything about 4K coming to plasmas? Next year maybe? I know there isn't really content available for this yet, but I imagine the upscaling would make blu-rays looks pretty nice.

Thanks!
post #87 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperuc View Post

Well it cant be totally black, since they havent eliminated the pre discharge (as in the pioneer concept of 2009) but I am sure its going to be black enough!
I am thinking of buying vt50, and enjoy it until oled or similar tv is in the right price.
BUT! I REALLY wanna buy a real highend tv, with everything that comes with that, and not the highest model of a tv range that is also cheap. Do you understand what i mean?
Everything is price these days and real AAA products has almost vanished from the market!

Like portable cd players, once there was cd players made completely out of metal! Built like a tank! Now all you can find is built from crappy plastic and weighs nothing!
Now you cant buy quality anymore....
post #88 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM

post #89 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

1) 2.35:1 screen dimension: I'm not particularly interested in this right now, since my understanding is that blu-rays aren't anamorphic and would actually need to be stretched/adjusted to fill the screen properly. Regardless, has anybody heard anything about this screen size and any plasma?

Not in plasma, but there have been a few 21:9 TV's out there. You may already know all this. Philips has had one out for a while. JVC showed one in 2011. There is a Chinese 71" model. Some others I can't remember- I used to have a list.

Vizio has some out in 2012:

Vizio 21:9 TV's

I like the idea myself, but not sure if it will catch on. Regardless of the Blu-ray format issue, they allow one to watch a widescreen movie without the black bars. The Vizio 71" widescreen is equivalent to a 75" 16:9 screen when watching widescreen content. I watch mostly movies, and did a lengthy "study" of the movies I watched over a long period of time. I found that 85% of the movies I watched were in some type of widescreen format- black bars on a 16:9 TV.
post #90 of 1640 Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser33333 View Post

Looks like Panasonic has put some information about the new 2012 features on their panasonic.net web page. (Sorry I am too new to the forum and cannot post a url link but just go to the .net site and go to consumer and viera tvs)

They refer to the panel as
- "A milestone has been reached in our search for optimal picture quality"
- "The materials and structure of the Plasma panel have been re-engineered from the ground up"
- "This new panel"
- "Redesigned panel structure"

They show a number of images offering a number of comparisons and advantages the 2012 panel has over the 2011 panel.

Then there is also the "NEW" cpu/engine/etc

So it seems far more than just "cosmetic" changes are just around the corner, eh? From cnet's CES articles, Panny is also claiming to have transferred some of the tech from their professional series panels to the xx50 lines...

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page