Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 1640 Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM
adb
AVS Special Member
 
adb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: central texas
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Walter View Post

I sit about nine feet away from my current 54G10 and am fine with the screen size. But at this point my uniformed guess is that only with a pro calibration would I be able to detect a very small difference between the VT and ST with most of price diff coming from extra fluff. .

You hit the nail on the head.
adb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 1640 Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Member
 
Byron Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

You hit the nail on the head.

Usually I just hit myself on the head. It's so relaxing...
Byron Walter is offline  
post #903 of 1640 Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
weedeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One man's fluff is another man's absolute requirement.
weedeater is offline  
post #904 of 1640 Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Member
 
coolcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to register them with the P42GT25 but no luck. My IR 3D glasses work just fine.

There has been some speculation that they might work with both BT and IR. Not for me.
coolcoyote is offline  
post #905 of 1640 Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
 
RedOctober205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoyote View Post

I tried to register them with the P42GT25 but no luck. My IR 3D glasses work just fine.

There has been some speculation that they might work with both BT and IR. Not for me.

Of course they don't work. We already knew they wouldn't work.
RedOctober205 is offline  
post #906 of 1640 Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Member
 
coolcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

Of course they don't work. We already knew they wouldn't work.

Oh, sorry. I had to confirm it for myself.

Some of us read Robert Zohn's report on Home Theater Shack which said they might be universal based on his results with an LG display.

"Now we tried the new glasses on LG's 60PM9700 and they work perfectly!!!"
coolcoyote is offline  
post #907 of 1640 Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

I really wish Panasonic hadn't discontinued the 42" size in new ST50 series, as I'm looking for a new bedroom display.

Funny. I have an old 46" in our master bedroom now and while my wife originally humored me when we upgraded from a 50" to a 64" in the family room she has now deemed the 46" in the bedroom "unwatchable" and actually proactively asked me to get a 60"+ for the bedroom. We should all be so lucky...
Citivas is offline  
post #908 of 1640 Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Funny. I have an old 46" in our master bedroom now and while my wife originally humored me when we upgraded from a 50" to a 64" in the family room she has now deemed the 46" in the bedroom "unwatchable" and actually proactively asked me to get a 60"+ for the bedroom. We should all be so lucky...

Does she have a sister?

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is offline  
post #909 of 1640 Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 AM
 
RedOctober205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoyote View Post


Oh, sorry. I had to confirm it for myself.

Some of us read Robert Zohn's report on Home Theater Shack which said they might be universal based on his results with an LG display.

"Now we tried the new glasses on LG's 60PM9700 and they work perfectly!!!"

Robert is just a retailer and no more knowledgable than a first time display consumer. He wants people to believe he is an expert, but he just spouts what the marketing departments feed him like a trained parrot. The Panasonic insider at HDJ confirmed the glasses details a long time ago.
RedOctober205 is offline  
post #910 of 1640 Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
maygit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

Robert is just a retailer and no more knowledgable than a first time display consumer. He wants people to believe he is an expert, but he just spouts what the marketing departments feed him like a trained parrot. The Panasonic insider at HDJ confirmed the glasses details a long time ago.

That's a little harsh. I believe it was a simple mistake, as i posted in the other thread about 2012 panasonic bt glasses:

"Guarantee he made a logical mistake that i fell for before as well. When he synced the glasses to the Panasonic tv, the sync coincidentally was on the same or extremely close timing to what the elite was doing and same thing later on w/ the LG so the 3D image worked and gave the false assumption that the glasses were synced to the non panasonic tvs.

I've mistaken this once in the past when i was pairing 2011 BT samsung 3D glasses to a 2011 samsung tv and a 2011 IR panasonic set was nearby and the 3D image worked on the panasonic as well. For a moment I thought samsung glasses worked on Panasonic sets until i put the pieces together of what happened, tested my theory, and realized i was correct in that it was just coincidental timing of the shutter. It's actually not as difficult to do as one would think."

maygit is offline  
post #911 of 1640 Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Newbie
 
shaolinkaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, first time I'm on this thread. I JUST picked up my TC-P50UT50 at Best Buy early this morning. Would anyone recommend a site that has ideal calibration settings for the set? So far, I absolutely LOVE it! Believe it or not, I love the DLNA feature. I have a NAS drive with a ton of my DVD/Blu-Ray rips and streaming my content directly to the TV is a huge plus! No more need to stream via my PS3
shaolinkaz is offline  
post #912 of 1640 Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinkaz View Post

hey guys, first time I'm on this thread. I JUST picked up my TC-P50UT50 at Best Buy early this morning. Would anyone recommend a site that has ideal calibration settings for the set? So far, I absolutely LOVE it! Believe it or not, I love the DLNA feature. I have a NAS drive with a ton of my DVD/Blu-Ray rips and streaming my content directly to the TV is a huge plus! No more need to stream via my PS3

What file format do you have for the BD rips ? MKV ?

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #913 of 1640 Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Member
 
coolcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

That's a little harsh. I believe it was a simple mistake, as i posted in the other thread about 2012 panasonic bt glasses:

"Guarantee he made a logical mistake that i fell for before as well. When he synced the glasses to the Panasonic tv, the sync coincidentally was on the same or extremely close timing to what the elite was doing and same thing later on w/ the LG so the 3D image worked and gave the false assumption that the glasses were synced to the non panasonic tvs.

I've mistaken this once in the past when i was pairing 2011 BT samsung 3D glasses to a 2011 samsung tv and a 2011 IR panasonic set was nearby and the 3D image worked on the panasonic as well. For a moment I thought samsung glasses worked on Panasonic sets until i put the pieces together of what happened, tested my theory, and realized i was correct in that it was just coincidental timing of the shutter. It's actually not as difficult to do as one would think."

Thanks! Had to see for myself. Wow! I just duplicated this today... twice!

At HHGREGG they had a 2011 Samsung 3D demo setup back-to-back with a 2011 Panasonic setup. My 2012 Panasonic glasses registered and the Samsung D8000 3D was perfect. Next, I tried to register with another D8000 on the showroom. No luck.

Then at BB where a 2012 Samsung setup was side-by-side with a 2012 Panasonic setup, I was able to view the Samsung 3D using the Panasonic glasses and vice versa and the 3D was excellent on both.

Next, I went to Sears where my glasses failed with a D7000. To do the final confirmation I went to a Magnolia BB where they failed with a new Samsung.

"Very interesting"
coolcoyote is offline  
post #914 of 1640 Old 04-01-2012, 05:44 AM
Newbie
 
shaolinkaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
some are VOB, others are MPEG format.
shaolinkaz is offline  
post #915 of 1640 Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

So if you want a 60", this is easy to me.

First of all, regular humans are unlikely to perceive the GT as having a better picture. In this case, I count myself as a regular human.

Second of all, the ST design is simple and neutral. While some people like the GT design, I find it hideous. YMMV of course.

Third of all, since you are after a 60", there is no reason to wait for the VT, which is coming in 55" and 65".

So, irregular humans may perceive the difference?
MrVizio is offline  
post #916 of 1640 Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

So, irregular humans may perceive the difference?

... or think they do.
htwaits is online now  
post #917 of 1640 Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

... or think they do.

MrVizio is offline  
post #918 of 1640 Old 04-01-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

The Panasonic insider at HDJ confirmed the glasses details a long time ago.

How well do you know Robert?

Also, that "insider" is in marketing and not entirely devoid of the same flaws you've attributed to Robert.

Edited quote

sheshechic is offline  
post #919 of 1640 Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Member
 
58inches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGTR View Post

I'm facing the dilemma of ST50 VS GT50.

I don't think I will be able to see them in person before I buy.

Previously I had read that the GT50 supports mkv's, among other formats natively and the ST50 does not. Now if you go to Panasonics's site, the ST50 shows that it does also support these formats natively. You can use the comparison tool they have.

Can anybody confirm that the ST50 series does in fact have this feature?

FYI...you can order the ST50 or pre-order the GT50 for 20% off msrp on Panasonic EPP right now.
58inches is offline  
post #920 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tempest261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58inches View Post


Previously I had read that the GT50 supports mkv's, among other formats natively and the ST50 does not. Now if you go to Panasonics's site, the ST50 shows that it does also support these formats natively. You can use the comparison tool they have.

Can anybody confirm that the ST50 series does in fact have this feature?

FYI...you can order the ST50 or pre-order the GT50 for 20% off msrp on Panasonic EPP right now.

Oooo let us know when a deal like that appears for the VT50

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

 

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

 

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

 

Tempest261 is offline  
post #921 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Talk2Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Marin,CA./ Burton, OH
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx View Post

bedroom. dont need a 50" tv when you're watching from 4-5 feet away.

You watch tv with your feet under the screen?
Talk2Me is offline  
post #922 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

How well do you know Robert? Also, that "insider" is in marketing and not entirely devoid of the same flaws you've attributed to Robert.

The insider is not in marketing - he's in design and probably also product development, and he seems genuinely enthusiastic about his products.

Robert is very knowledeable and is a great salesman - he oozes it unfortunately for him it bleeds through in his words when he posts, especially since he is also enthusiastic about the brand. I have a salesman like this at my workplace and he just can't help himself as he lives and breathes this stuff. I do sales and purchasing in the electrical/electronic wholesale distrubutor industry and i deal with salesmen and marketing all the time and i just don't see any marketing coming from the insider - not even from between the lines. And i know when i'm being marketed to or sold to

Both these guys come across as honest and sincere, but one is in development and the other is in sales/marketing and there's nothing wrong with that. Both have been among the most helpful people on the forums as far as getting accurate info out to us enthusiasts.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #923 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The insider is not in marketing - he's in design and probably also product development, and he seems genuinely enthusiastic about his products.

Robert is very knowledeable and is a great salesman - he oozes it unfortunately for him it bleeds through in his words when he posts, especially since he is also enthusiastic about the brand. I have a salesman like this at my workplace and he just can't help himself as he lives and breathes this stuff. I do sales and purchasing in the electrical/electronic wholesale distrubutor industry and i deal with salesmen and marketing all the time and i just don't see any marketing coming from the insider - not even from between the lines. And i know when i'm being marketed to or sold to

Both these guys come across as honest and sincere, but one is in development and the other is in sales/marketing and there's nothing wrong with that. Both have been among the most helpful people on the forums as far as getting accurate info out to us enthusiasts.

Thank you for your correction Randy, I misremembered his position.

I do see marketing/sales coming from that "insider" especially when he is in defense mode (which is often when anyone has a negative opinion of the company or product).

sheshechic is offline  
post #924 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Newbie
 
lexus300rb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received my 50ST50 last Thursday from Amazon. Ran the color slides til Sunday and decided to watch some TV. Awesome looking screen too say the least. One thing I noticed as the TV was going through the colors, like the color green, I noticed a cross hatch pattern in the upper right of the screen that was lighter than the color. Green is where it was noticed the most out of the 4 colors, but still noticeable in all colors. The left side had a bigger pattern but you really had to look for it. During regular programming I didn't notice it at all. One thing though, the higher the contrast the less it was there. All in all it's a keeper.
lexus300rb is offline  
post #925 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Member
 
hdSigmaChi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stopped inside Paul's TV and the sales rep told me about a newer Panasonic Plasma model called " X " coming out in August. It's supposed to be better than the VT and a limited edition. Anyone have any information on this?
hdSigmaChi is offline  
post #926 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 128
VX, the commercial line?

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is offline  
post #927 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Member
 
billybill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: st. louis
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there going to ever be a Panasonic without all the extras. I'm talking about the widgets like youtube and facebook and stuff. I don't want to surf the net. Just want to watch tv.
billybill is offline  
post #928 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey I wish I could get the ST without paying for 3D At least now I don't have to pay for glasses!
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #929 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdSigmaChi View Post

Stopped inside Paul's TV and the sales rep told me about a newer Panasonic Plasma model called " X " coming out in August. It's supposed to be better than the VT and a limited edition. Anyone have any information on this?

I read a rumor about a 70VT50 in the second half. The VX300 has been out for a while and the VT50 looks like it may be better.
gimp is offline  
post #930 of 1640 Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Member
 
vic_0002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybill View Post

Is there going to ever be a Panasonic without all the extras. I'm talking about the widgets like youtube and facebook and stuff. I don't want to surf the net. Just want to watch tv.

HA! I wish !!
vic_0002 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off