Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Only the VT will do 96Hz.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

head over to Robert's FB(VE) for a nice interview with Panasonic's Gregg Lee:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/**...c/107818673444

Great interview! It really seems like they practically redesigned the entire lineup! And did I hear him talk about major improvements in color linearity and gradation? I think that's pretty much the only area that the Sammys were clearly superior in for 2011, correct? Man, that would make the VT50 pretty much a slam dunk as the best plasma...

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Great interview! It really seems like they practically redesigned the entire lineup! And did I hear him talk about major improvements in color linearity and gradation? I think that's pretty much the only area that the Sammys were clearly superior in for 2011, correct? Man, that would make the VT50 pretty much a slam dunk as the best plasma...

Sounds like there is hope for a Kuro equal or even killer this time. Good to know in case mine croaks..lol.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I keep thinking "this is the year I upgrade my Panasonic plasma" but it never happens after I start reading reviews, hearing complaints, and eye-balling the floor models. Maybe this IS the year. Here's hoping.

"The truth is out there!"
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I keep thinking "this is the year I upgrade my Panasonic plasma" but it never happens after I start reading reviews, hearing complaints, and eye-balling the floor models. Maybe this IS the year. Here's hoping.

True..but Kuros were not perfect either! GASP! lol I know cause I have one.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I dunno. The guy in that interview was dodgy.
If the interviewer asked if something was in the TVs his answer always sounded something like: I'm not saying the feature is in it, but if you want to believe it is, I will not talk you out of that belief.

Honestly, I can't imagine the just tossed out everything they've been doing as the top plasma manufacturer for years and started again. It would be too expensive and time consuming. There's probably some incremental improvements and feature changes like there is every year.

I'd take what most companies say at CES with a big grain of salt and wait for the professional reviews to come in.

--
(this space for rent)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I dunno. The guy in that interview was dodgy.
If the interviewer asked if something was in the TVs his answer always sounded something like: I'm not saying the feature is in it, but if you want to believe it is, I will not talk you out of that belief.

Honestly, I can't imagine the just tossed out everything they've been doing as the top plasma manufacturer for years and started again. It would be too expensive and time consuming. There's probably some incremental improvements and feature changes like there is every year.

I'd take what most companies say at CES with a big grain of salt and wait for the professional reviews to come in.

He only hemmed and hawed when asked specifically about the GT and ST series "lacking" things that the VT series had, IIRC...it seemed like he just didn't want to use any negative words to describe the step down models because he was on camera...I could be wrong though. Hey, it's all premature anyway, until production models hit calibrator's hands...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I know. I'm totally excited because I get one more TV purchase, so we can go full HD in both the living room and the bedroom. The current 42" ST30 will be the bedroom TV, of course, leaving me with getting at least a 55" plasma panel of some kind for the living room, as soon as the first big discounts hit after initial production.

I almost pulled the trigger on the 55" VT30 when it dropped below $1800 on Amazon during "Black Friday". Cleveland Plasma was offering me a sweet deal...but I decided to wait and from the sound of things so far perhaps I made the right move.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Old 01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

He only hemmed and hawed when asked specifically about the GT and ST series "lacking" things that the VT series had, IIRC...it seemed like he just didn't want to use any negative words to describe the step down models...

That was my impression too. And that is why I got confused about the gt and st models. They seem to share the same panel, but the gt also seems to be the only tv that shares the improve grey-level gradation and the different sized RGBs with the VT (even though is has a different panel than the GT)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

That was my impression too. And that is why I got confused about the gt and st models. They seem to share the same panel, but the gt also seems to be the only tv that shares the improve grey-level gradation and the different sized RGBs with the VT (even though is has a different panel than the GT)

From what I understand, the ST, GT, and VT, all share the same RGB characteristics; It's supposed to be apart of the new panel design in general. As for the gradation stuff, I believe you can only activate it when in "cinema mode". If that is the case, than who says you can't unlock it on the ST series.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbuck View Post

true..but kuros were not perfect either! Gasp! Lol i know cause i have one.

+1
Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:

I almost pulled the trigger on the 55" VT30 when it dropped below $1800 on Amazon during "Black Friday". Cleveland Plasma was offering me a sweet deal...but I decided to wait and from the sound of things so far perhaps I made the right move.

It will always be better next year in theory
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
It looks like the formerly dormant 2012 Specifications Tabs have just been activated:

VT50 Specs: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...asma_spec.html

GT50 Specs: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...asma_spec.html

ST50 Specs: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...asma_spec.html

Some dimensions are still TBD though . . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It looks like the formerly dormant 2012 Specifications Tabs have just been activated:

VT50 Specs: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...asma_spec.html

GT50 Specs: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...asma_spec.html

ST50 Specs: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...asma_spec.html

Some dimensions are still TBD though . . . .

thanks randy
Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Something new for 2012 that i don't like - this year they're combining the Composite input with the Component input so you can only use that one input for one or another. Some of us still have legacy devices and need both Component and Composite, and i've already pared my devices down to facilitate my G10's reduced inputs a few years ago but i do need to have one of each or else give up yet another device.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Randy,

....and there is only one such input.

Do you know if some prepros/receivers convert composit to component????

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Something new for 2012 that i don't like - this year they're combining the Composite input with the Component input so you can only use that one input for one or another. Some of us still have legacy devices and need both Component and Composite, and i've already pared my devices down to facilitate my G10's reduced inputs a few years ago but i do need to have one of each or else give up yet another device.

You don't have to give up anything. You just need a switcher or to pump the old analog devices through a receiver that will output them all as one component output -- there are many such receivers.

What are you still running that requires those outputs?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Isn't that because of some silly industry requirement that analog inputs are to be retired over a period of years?

The Panasonic BD75K bluray player I have doesn't even have a digital coax output. Just HDMI and analog video (the yellow connector) with stereo.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanagi-sama View Post

Isn't that because of some silly industry requirement that analog inputs are to be retired over a period of years?

The Panasonic BD75K bluray player I have doesn't even have a digital coax output. Just HDMI and analog video (the yellow connector) with stereo.

Yes, full-resolution analog outputs will be disappearing.

That said, even new receivers have fewer analog and digital sound connectors. Most people just don't need them as much anymore. HDMI is a flawed standard with all the handshaking issues, but it's an infinitely better cabling system for 99% of people (the 1% being those who have to run it through walls and even they are pretty well accommodated these days).

Anyway, I'm down to one analog device -- the Wii -- that I hardly use anymore (thank you Kinect/Xbox). I wouldn't even add something to my system that didn't use HDMI.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post

I'm curious to see how a 1080p blu-ray looks upscaled on a 4K display.....if it is spectacular, I can wait on native 4K material. Has anybody here personally seen that?

Upscale to 4K resolution?..what device out there is doing that?

4K resolution...pffft...that has to be the biggest gimmick joke there is. It would probably take 5-7 years before you even have decent amount of content to play on it...and we'd probably have to wait a good decade (or two) to get a 4k broadcast.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 AM

We bought our 55VT30 last May (from MHT@BBY) and decided to sit on the FB issue we've been having till the end of the model year so we can get a problem-free 55VT30 from MHT. Long story short, finally got the go ahead from them to swap it out and guess what, they are out of the 55VT30's!

BAH!

In talking with SWMBO last night, she proposed getting a "crummy" TV for the master bedroom because our now 3 year old Toshiba isn't up to her standards for bedroom viewing.

So I think we are going to be getting a 50GT30 for the meantime to put in place of the VT30, since we have to take it back to BBY to send back to Panasonic, and use that until we can buy the 55VT50 day 1 like last time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm super duper excited about the new VT's, been wondering how'd they come out, and I really think they will look sexy. Although, I don't know what that stupid remote is all about, and I could care less about WiFi (lazy ass people).

The poll I was trolling through about the silver bezel on the VT50's I don't think will be a problem. The VT30's silver is on the edges perpendicular to the screen, which isn't a problem. The VT50 reminds me more of the "my screen is pulling away from the edges" of a Samsung LED D8000. That set doesn't have an issue in the home (buddy has one), just in a store with the silver bezel.

One last smart-ass comment, who uses anything that isn't HDMI for video besides a Wii connected to a bitchin' TV these days? Composite, S-Video, and Component are common on most decent AVR's worth buying these days, and very nicely take care of your non-1080p sources as well. *cough* *cough* cable TV. Video processors, either standalone or within a AVR should be considered as a nice investment compared to other electronic gadgets.

/excitedness over VT50 hotness
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL View Post

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm super duper excited about the new VT's, been wondering how'd they come out, and I really think they will look sexy. Although, I don't know what that stupid remote is all about, and I could care less about WiFi (lazy ass people).

I think the remote is supposed to take place of a mouse for web surfing and may work on the tv's menu's. The WiFi is cool because it is an upgrade to the wired connection as far as speed is concerned, at least until they go to gig lan. It can do wireless N and dual band for less interference.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Comparison of initial launch MSRPs from last year vs this year:

TC-P50ST30 $1,499 (at end of production MSRP was at $1299)
TC-P50ST50 $1,399

TC-P55ST30 $1,799 (at end of production MSRP was at $1599)
TC-P55ST50 $1,699

TC-P60ST30 $2,399 (at end of production MSRP was at $2099)
TC-P60ST50 $2,099

TC-P65ST30 $3,299 (at end of production MSRP was at $2999)
TC-P65ST50 $2,999

TC-P50GT30 $1,899 (at end of production MSRP was at $1499)
TC-P50GT50 $1,799

TC-P55GT30 $2,199 (at end of production MSRP was at $1999)
TC-P55GT50 $2,099

TC-P60GT30 $2,799 (at end of production MSRP was at $2599)
TC-P60GT50 $2,599

TC-P65GT30 $3,699 (at end of production MSRP was at $3199)
TC-P65GT50 $3,299 (recently adjusted down from the original $3,499)

TC-P55VT30 $2,799 (at end of production MSRP was at $2499)
TC-P55VT50 $2,499

TC-P65VT30 $4,299 (at end of production MSRP was at $3999)
TC-P65VT50 $3,699 (recently adjusted down from the original $3,999)

Randy
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:

TC-P50ST50 $1,399

TC-P55ST50 $1,699

TC-P60ST50 $2,099

TC-P65ST50 $2,999

TC-P50GT50 $1,799

TC-P55GT50 $2,099

TC-P60GT50 $2,599

TC-P65GT50 $3,499

TC-P55VT50 $2,499

TC-P65VT50 $3,999

thanks randy
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlong View Post

Upscale to 4K resolution?..what device out there is doing that?

4K resolution...pffft...that has to be the biggest gimmick joke there is. It would probably take 5-7 years before you even have decent amount of content to play on it...and we'd probably have to wait a good decade (or two) to get a 4k broadcast.

Sony BDP-S790 introduced at CES 2012.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizemaker View Post

Sony BDP-S790 introduced at CES 2012.

That player just upscales to 4K, right?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Either way it's not part of the "Panasonic 2012 lineup" .

We had the 4K discussion on page 4 of this thread.

There is no 4K content.

If Panasonic is losing 10 billion a year, the idea of a 4K display for which there is no existing content that can make use of it is silly.

Talking about the idea *here* is even sillier. Panasonic did not release any 4K displays this year.

(@DavidHir- not meaning to offend- I see you have 7000 posts and I respect that- just trying to get things back on track)
Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I wouldn't call it silly. I was considering buying this year, but with 4k BD players coming next year, why on earth would I buy a 1080p display?
Plenty of people bought 720p and 1080p displays largely for upscale content at first. Some device has to come first. The TV makes more sense.

Edit: Thanks for the pricing info. This was pretty much to be expected with Sharp killing everyone in the large format market.

--
(this space for rent)
Old 02-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

TC-P50ST50 $1,399

TC-P55ST50 $1,699

TC-P60ST50 $2,099

TC-P65ST50 $2,999

TC-P50GT50 $1,799

TC-P55GT50 $2,099

TC-P60GT50 $2,599

TC-P65GT50 $3,499

TC-P55VT50 $2,499

TC-P65VT50 $3,999

Great post, very interesting that the prices have gone down for almost all the sets.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

The manuals for the UT50 and ST50 became available for download a few days ago, but the ST50 manual is in Spanish. I was waiting for the English version but it's not up yet.

UT50 http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TCP42UT50.PDF

ST50 http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...50ST50-SPA.PDF (Spanish only at this time)

Apparently the manual this year is now more like quick start guide and doesn't contain any information about the settings menus and input menus etc, it's all now built into the TV can called eHELP that you access on the screen. I know Panasonic is touting themselves as a green company, but having a paper or online manual that you can read is better than on-screen help.

Randy

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread