post #31 of 37 Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondola View Post

My 65" ST50 arrives Tuesday. Ordered from Amazon.
I'm a little worried about IR now, after reading the "How many have returned their Panasonics and gotten a Samsung" thread. I don't want to have to wait to watch content. confused.gif
I'm not even sure what 3D glasses to get, but I'm going to hold off until I see whether or not I have to return the set for something else.

Remember this is a forum where brand loyalty can get extreme and people will post negative things about AV gear that they don't own or have ever tried when you take into consideration that its one of the hottest selling panels there will be a few bad units as with ALL brands and the fact in most all the AV mags and other forums it has recieved high scores for both picture and price point.
No panel is completely immune to IR if you have it in torch mode the ones that are less susceptible somewhat compromise the picture in brightness and black levels IMO.
I took mine straight out of the box and used D-Nice's settings for not using slides and ran my Spears & Munsil setup disc to make minor adjustments and watched TV and Movies for what I have bought it for and in the months time it has been one of my best purchases .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok after a few hours with my 65" ST50, I have two cons:

- Glare is ridiculous. There are some windows on a wall perpendicular to the set, and everything in that area is clearly visible in the reflection on the screen. I've read this entire thread and other sites with reviews, and very few people talk about the glare. You must be watching the set in complete darkness. It's very annoying and I'm really tempted to send it back.

- Large white areas cause a lot of flashing in darker areas in the same horizontal band. I don't know the technical term y'all may have given it, but that's the effect I'm seeing. It was really only visible in a Futurama episode where Zoidberg was whooping around, and his white doctor's coat was causing this issue.
post #33 of 37 Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondola View Post

Ok after a few hours with my 65" ST50, I have two cons:
- Glare is ridiculous. There are some windows on a wall perpendicular to the set, and everything in that area is clearly visible in the reflection on the screen. I've read this entire thread and other sites with reviews, and very few people talk about the glare. You must be watching the set in complete darkness. It's very annoying and I'm really tempted to send it back.
- Large white areas cause a lot of flashing in darker areas in the same horizontal band. I don't know the technical term y'all may have given it, but that's the effect I'm seeing. It was really only visible in a Futurama episode where Zoidberg was whooping around, and his white doctor's coat was causing this issue.
I am surrounded by windows but close my shutters when watching TV and a side note all new flat panels including LCD's come with glossy screens so curtains may be in order or drapes.
If you post your picture settings then help may come in the form of adjustments.
post #34 of 37 Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I am surrounded by windows but close my shutters when watching TV and a side note all new flat panels including LCD's come with glossy screens so curtains may be in order or drapes.
If you post your picture settings then help may come in the form of adjustments.
I'm using the default settings right now; 50% contrast, 50% brightness, etc. The picture is great just with the defaults, and I'm more amused than bothered by the SOE so far.

The big problem is the patio door and small kitchen window, both of which are covered except for the edges. As the sun goes down, a small slice of light gets through the edges of both and travels slowly through the kitchen, right in our prime "TV watching" time period. I can put up big curtains to cover these, but we're just renting and I'd like to minimize any modifications I make to the house.
post #35 of 37 Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 AM

Liked: 13
hmm, thats interesting. I had all the lights on including a light directly in front of the tv and had to look for the glare before i could see it on my 60".
post #36 of 37 Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM

We invested in some curtains to cover the windows and patio sliding door. Relatively cheap fix ($100 for curtains and brackets), but I feel the issue has been downplayed.

With no glare to distract me, the TV is pretty amazing. The clarity and detail in The Dark Knight on bluray was incredible. I watched and enjoyed 1080i for years on my 65" Mitsu RPTV, but I have to say I had no idea what I was missing. The technical answer to that is "half" of course :P
post #37 of 37 Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM

Just wanted to update this thread concerning the glare issue.

We moved into a new home recently (literally new, had it built) and have an off-white ("Devine White", builder default), flat paint in the living room. The rental home we were using had white painted walls, and probably semi-gloss; I don't really recall. The TV is on the only wall with windows, so there are no windows opposite the TV to cause glare. We have zero glare now, and all we have are 2" wood blinds, no curtains. So, my conclusion is that the color and type of paint on your walls and window placement will make a dramatic difference in how much glare you get on your screen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page