How much buzzing is acceptable on a panasonic plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have about 2 weeks left to exchange it but I can't find anything concrete on the net about how much noise my panasonic tc-p60st30 should make. Some people say if you can hear is more than 2 feet away it's broken. Some say what I'm hearing is normal. It sounds like a really loud computer hard drive seeking\\writing\
eading frantically when there's a lot of white, grey, light black, or pure black on the screen suddenly. Mainly when transitioning from one scene to another in a movie or going from one commercial to the next. I'm running a break in slide show right now and it's definitely related to the color on the screen at the time. It's not as big of a deal when the volume is up but there's always times when it gets quiet and I hear those tiny jackhammers going off in the tv. My couch is about 10 feet away and it's very noticeable unless unless something louder is covering it up. Am I just going to get the same thing if I lug this thing back to frys? My old panny 50" was nowhere near as bad and my dads 60" panny from a couple years back is pretty much silent.

pc> hk 990> ascend acoustics raal towers\rythmik f15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannigan View Post

I have about 2 weeks left to exchange it but I can't find anything concrete on the net about how much noise my panasonic tc-p60st30 should make. Some people say if you can hear is more than 2 feet away it's broken. Some say what I'm hearing is normal. It sounds like a really loud computer hard drive seeking\\writing\
eading frantically when there's a lot of white, grey, light black, or pure black on the screen suddenly. Mainly when transitioning from one scene to another in a movie or going from one commercial to the next. I'm running a break in slide show right now and it's definitely related to the color on the screen at the time. It's not as big of a deal when the volume is up but there's always times when it gets quiet and I hear those tiny jackhammers going off in the tv. My couch is about 10 feet away and it's very noticeable unless unless something louder is covering it up. Am I just going to get the same thing if I lug this thing back to frys? My old panny 50" was nowhere near as bad and my dads 60" panny from a couple years back is pretty much silent.

I have a 2010 GT25 that is dead quiet, what you describe doesnt sound normal to me at all.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 47 Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
I've set up three ST30's for other people, most recently a 60 incher, and the normal plasma buzz was not audible from more than 3-4 feet away in a completely quiet room. We checked. Same goes for my three older Plasmas and others that i've installed. If it's bothersome at 10 feet i'd say the TV is defective, because quieter ones do exist.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 47 Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick responses. I'll return it asap.

post #5 of 47 Old 01-14-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

The new one does it too. It may be a little less noisy than the last one. I'm still trying to decide.

post #6 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:

The new one does it too. It may be a little less noisy than the last one. I'm still trying to decide.

Have you calibrated your set properly? Too much contrast or brightness or running it in the vivid mode, which is designed for display purposes and not normal viewing, may cause audible buzzing, especially when watching bright contrasty scenes.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I turned off C.A.T.S. and motion smoother. Everything else is default. It came set to standard mode with brightness\\contrast etc set at 50 iirc an d sharpness at 75.

post #8 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I turned off C.A.T.S. and motion smoother. Everything else is default. It came set to standard mode with brightness\\contrast etc set at 50 iirc an d sharpness at 75.

Default is not the best setting. You need to calibrate your adjustments properly. I recommend a good calibration DVD like Video Essentials or the Disney Wow BD. Also, your sharpness should be set close to 0. If it looks too soft you can increase it slightly. For initial set up see link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5085739-2.html

Ian

post #9 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
I have the same problem with my 54S2, it can be heard more than 10 feet away with no sound. and if the volume is on 15 it can be heard 6 to 8 feet away. I just don't ever remember it being this loud before.

My 46S1 is dead silent, you have to literally stick your head behind it to hear it buzz. I do expect the larger to TV to have more of a buzz, but Geeez not that much.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I did some tweaking on the set. Not 100% sure it did anything about the sound but I'm definitely not noticing it as much as with the first one I had. If I wasn't looking for it on this one I may have never thought about. It's louder than my old 50" but better than the one I traded it in for. I think I can live with it but I get the impression panasonic may have started cheaping out on parts. I'll give it some time. The picture is fantastic I don't feel as bad as I would have if I hadn't gotten it on sale.

post #11 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did some tweaking on the set. Not 100% sure it did anything about the sound but I'm definitely not noticing it as much as with the first one I had. If I wasn't looking for it on this one I may have never thought about. It's louder than my old 50" but better than the one I traded it in for. I think I can live with it but I get the impression panasonic may have started cheaping out on parts. I'll give it some time. The picture is fantastic I don't feel as bad as I would have if I hadn't gotten it on sale.

Buzzing has always been an issue with Panasonic. I had a 32'' CRT that buzzed and it was a high end TV.

Ian

post #12 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Buzzing has always been an issue with Panasonic. I had a 32'' CRT that buzzed and it was a high end TV.

Ian

This is true but it's a bummer that it's getting worse instead of better over time. You'd think they would keep improving in all aspects the better they get at making them. It is a better set in every other way except the noise but I would have paid another $20 for some kind of sound dampener or something. Whatever works.

post #13 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I had some minor buzzing on mt gt25. it was only when I got a bright white screen like the panasonic netflix intro page. I did get the a-board replaced. that seem to fix it.
you might want to look into that.

does your set have the thx settings? try that if you can.

Jacob
post #14 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM

For anyone interested, I got the Power board replaced in my plasma, this was definitely the problem i cannot believe how quiet it is... I just hope the buzzing doesn't come back.

(In my case, the buzzing made a whining noise in the middle of the Television, the tech said it was probably a coil on the power board.)
post #15 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgurl View Post

For anyone interested, I got the Power board replaced in my plasma, this was definitely the problem i cannot believe how quiet it is... I just hope the buzzing doesn't come back.

(In my case, the buzzing made a whining noise in the middle of the Television, the tech said it was probably a coil on the power board.)

That's good to know, and congrats. The power supply on a plasma TV seems to be the most common cause of abnormally loud buzzing so it's nice to confirm that replacing it fixed the buzz problem, and is further proof to the naysayers that it is indeed not normal to be able to hear a buzz at a reasonable viewing distance.

Did the technician have to do any trial and error board swapping to find the buzz? Or was he capable and diagnosed the cause immediately?

Your original buzz thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21492166

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #16 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

My set doesn't have thx mode but it's definitely related to how bright the screen is at the moment. A minute ago I had the PS3 menu screen up and was switching between standard mode and cinema mode. Standard mode has a default contrast of 50 and cinema\\game have a contrast of 100. It goes like this

standard.....
cinema bzzzzzzzz
standard......
cinema bzzzzzzzzz

Back and forth like clockwork with obvious cause and effect. Standard looks a lot dimmer. Hopefully panasonic can put in a "silenced" board or whatever it is.

post #17 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Buzzing has always been an issue with Panasonic. I had a 32'' CRT that buzzed and it was a high end TV. Ian

My top-of-the-line 2003 Panasonic CT-32HXC43 32" HD CRT didn't buzz so i don't know how you can say it's "always been an issue". Common defect perhaps, but an issue would lead one to believe it plagues all of them and that just isn't the case.

None of my three Panasonic Plasmas buzz abnormally loud either - i can hear a slight buzz on my older 42PX50U if i get within two feet of it and it does increase a tad with brighter content, but on my 42PZ700U and my 46G10 i have to literally put my head within a foot of the screen or backside to hear any buzz.

Randy
post #18 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

My top-of-the-line 2003 Panasonic CT-32HXC43 32" HD CRT didn't buzz so i don't know how you can say it's "always been an issue". Common defect perhaps, but an issue would lead one to believe it plagues all of them and that just isn't the case.

None of my three Panasonic Plasmas buzz abnormally loud either - i can hear a slight buzz on my older 42PX50U if i get within two feet of it and it does increase a tad with brighter content, but on my 42PZ700U and my 46G10 i have to literally put my head within a foot of the screen or backside to hear any buzz.

Never meant to infer that it plagues all of them. My reply was based on the fact that my old CRT had this issue as well and I contacted a tech I knew at the time and was told that it was fairly common with those TV's. There have also have been enough posts about it here on AVS. On the other side of the coin, I also have a 20'' Panny CRT which I'm still using, and I recently replaced one that was 15 years old, and neither of them buzzed. The same goes with my Panny PDP. But then again, over the years, I've never had a buzzing problem with any other brand TV. So it seems, at least to me, to be more or less, a Panasonic issue. Regardless, I still stick with Panasonic, for the most part, when I shop for a TV.

Ian

post #19 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Don't give up - swap out the 2nd one. I went through 2 buzzing Panasonic 42" plasma TVs several years ago with Amazon. Finally, the 3rd one was quiet.

Ken
post #20 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That's good to know, and congrats. The power supply on a plasma TV seems to be the most common cause of abnormally loud buzzing so it's nice to confirm that replacing it fixed the buzz problem, and is further proof to the naysayers that it is indeed not normal to be able to hear a buzz at a reasonable viewing distance.

Did the technician have to do any trial and error board swapping to find the buzz? Or was he capable and diagnosed the cause immediately?

Your original buzz thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21492166

Hi Randy,
this might sound a bit crazy, but i wish I could have some how recorded a video showing the difference of my TV before/after, I mean the difference is absolutely astounding, I'm quite ecstatic to be honest. I can literally stand in front of my TV, at no more than a foot, and cannot hear the buzz with the room dead silent.

As for your question about the tech, I told him it sounded like the whining buzz was in the center of the TV, he jerked the back off, switched out the power board, saying that it was more likely that or the panel. And quite frankly, I had little confidience that would fix it. I guess I got lucky at least for now...

I can't speak for other plasmas outside Panasonic but if you can hear a buzz more than 2 feet(a rough number) it is defective. Again I wish I could show people the change. And in the future, when I buy my next Panasonic, I know what is normal and abnormal.

A quick summary: if you're hearing a buzz while trying to view regular programming you have a defective set, IMHO
post #21 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

While I have a thread going, let me ask another question of other owners of this particular set. Do you even see a pattern that looks like rain or sleet that's being driven by wind when large sections of the picture are changing gradually from white to black or dark to grey? It does this on the new one AND the one I replaced with it. I wasn't sure if I was really seeing this or not but I pinpointed it today. I had my pc output to the plasma to watch some internet tv and I noticed it plain as day every time I open the Firefox browser. As you may have noticed firefox has a new theme today because of the whole SOPA thing. When you open it, it starts out white and fades to a black background. Every single time I do this the whole white to black transition area is covered in lines flying all over the place starting at about darkish grey and it stops once the whole area has turned black and stays still. I switched back to my dell lcd monitor to make sure it wasn't the source and it doesn't happen at all. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THESE ST30'S!?

EDIT: Actually now that I've looked a little closer the artifacts don't really stop. I looked closely at the still black background on the firefox search page and there are lines all over the place shifting around! Somebody suggested turning off noise reduction but to no avail. Then I tried turning black level to dark and this seems to have worked, but now I have to tweak all the other settings again so the dark black mode won't make it look like somebodys nightmare. I'll try lowering overall brightness so it doesn't look so drastic.

EDIT #2: I got the black background blizzard to go away by turning the "Video NR" to strong. Weak and medium don't cut it.

post #22 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Panasonic is sending a local tech out next thursday, fingers crossed. If they can't fix this I may have to return it for store credit. I never thought I'd see the day that I considered an lcd.

post #23 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

They replaced everything that could be removed. It didn't work.

post #24 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:

So it seems, at least to me, to be more or less, a Panasonic issue.

Heck no, it's certainly not. In my own experience (and reading the experiences of others) buzzing can plague just about any manufacturer and just about any model of plasma TV.

I briefly owned a brand new Pioneer Kuro that buzzed at a ridiculously loud level, and a brand new LG plasma that buzzed even worse. The 2 Samsungs I've owned have been practically silent, but I know there are people out there with bad Samsung buzzers, too.

On a whole, it usually seems to be caused by bad power components or sloppy tolerances during manufacturing (causing something inside the set to resonate at an annoying frequency). It can sometimes (rarely) be caused by grounding issues in your house. Sometimes it can be fixed by replacing boards, or power supplies, or by simply tightening a random screw inside the set.

The important thing is that any buzz your TV makes shouldn't be heard from a reasonable viewing distance with the volume at a reasonable level. In fact, you really shouldn't be able to hear it with the volume all the way down, either.

If you're unlucky like me, you may exchange several TVs over the course of a couple days and still not end up with a quiet one. It can be infuriating.
post #25 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Taking the back of the set off looked pretty easy. If I can't get used to it maybe I'll put some sound proofing stuff on every possible surface that doesn't block ventilation holes.

post #26 of 47 Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Welp, I called panasonic to see what they say and they insist I shouldn't be able to hear it across the room and that I should call the techs that swapped out the boards to have them do it again. It's their money I guess. 4th time's the charm!

post #27 of 47 Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I just checked my Panny CRT with the volume off and it's buzzing! I think we've opened up a hornets nest with this thread!

Ian

post #28 of 47 Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I told the dude on the phone to tell me if I'm insane and to let me know if this is just how these sets are but he insisted that you shouldn't be able to hear it across the room and that I should get the boards swapped again to see what happens. I guess if you do it enough times they send out an actual panasonic employee instead of a contractor to see if you're full of it or not. Seems like that would be the first thing they would do to avoid fixing a bunch of sets that aren't broken but whatever. I'll give it another shot.

post #29 of 47 Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Turn the sound up louder...it'll make the TV look better anyway ! AND the panel buzz will disappear...
post #30 of 47 Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

Turn the sound up louder...it'll make the TV look better anyway ! AND the panel buzz will disappear...

No it won't, not in the quiet scenes. Any other helpful suggestions?

Randy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page