issue with Panasonic TC-P50GT25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the Panasonic TC-P50GT25 just about a year ago, and really love it, have had no issues (knock on wood) thus far. However, the other day I came across something odd. My TiVo HDMI is plugged into the HDMI1 input. I noticed that, on occasion, if I switch inputs then circle back to HDMI1, the screen comes up complete red/white snow. No picture, just snow and static. Unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable fixes it, as does turning the TV off/on. Again, this isn't an issue with red sparkles or snow that superimposes on the picture; I've read other posts on that and this isn't it. I tried switching the cables with the PS3 I have plugged into HDMI2, but the issue still occurred so it's probably not the cable. Any ideas what it is? I figure it's either the TiVo output or the TV input, but I really have no concrete idea. Any help would be much obliged. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch12 View Post

I picked up the Panasonic TC-P50GT25 just about a year ago, and really love it, have had no issues (knock on wood) thus far. However, the other day I came across something odd. My TiVo HDMI is plugged into the HDMI1 input. I noticed that, on occasion, if I switch inputs then circle back to HDMI1, the screen comes up complete red/white snow. No picture, just snow and static. Unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable fixes it, as does turning the TV off/on. Again, this isn't an issue with red sparkles or snow that superimposes on the picture; I've read other posts on that and this isn't it. I tried switching the cables with the PS3 I have plugged into HDMI2, but the issue still occurred so it's probably not the cable. Any ideas what it is? I figure it's either the TiVo output or the TV input, but I really have no concrete idea. Any help would be much obliged. Thanks in advance!

I have seen that with my tivo premiere and my GT25 havent located a root cause.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, mine is also a TiVo Premiere. Does yours happen with the same input (HMDI1)?
post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I believe so, maybe something specific to the premiere then ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I had this problem with my oppo 93 player hooked directly into HDMI 2 and 3. once I had switched it to HDMI 1 the problem went away.
I have my onkyo receiver set to HDMI 2 and nothing on 3.
Jacob
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

@chunon - it could be specific to the Premiere, but since you have the same set as mine, I still can't eliminate it from the equation unfortunately. I guess I'm just wondering if the problem could be the HDMI1 input on the TV. I suppose there's more troubleshooting I could do, including moving the TiVo from HDMI1. Hate to do that, because I've gotten used to where it is in the input chain.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@chunon - it could be specific to the Premiere, but since you have the same set as mine, I still can't eliminate it from the equation unfortunately. I guess I'm just wondering if the problem could be the HDMI1 input on the TV. I suppose there's more troubleshooting I could do, including moving the TiVo from HDMI1. Hate to do that, because I've gotten used to where it is in the input chain.

Yeah good points, it happens so infrequently for me I havent really thought about taking any action, for me I need the arc on HDMI2 for my soundbar so only other alternative would be hdmi 3.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I'm probably just being paranoid about it; this is my first HDTV (after holding onto my monstrous 36" WEGA for almost 10 years) and I'm super-sensitive about potential problems. Plus, I am retroactively dreading the potential service headache if it does end up a real problem It's probably not a big deal, but I'd sure like to know if it's the TV, the TiVo, or just a non-issue. Thanks for the replies, all.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm probably just being paranoid about it; this is my first HDTV (after holding onto my monstrous 36" WEGA for almost 10 years) and I'm super-sensitive about potential problems. Plus, I am retroactively dreading the potential service headache if it does end up a real problem It's probably not a big deal, but I'd sure like to know if it's the TV, the TiVo, or just a non-issue. Thanks for the replies, all.

Just an update, my TIVO is on HDMI2 not HDMI1 and I still have this issue from time to time, I think that eliminates the HDMI1 root cause, my guess is it is something with the Premiere itself

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #10 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 AM

Sounds like the same problem I started to have with my 50G10 and 8300HDC cable box. It was the snow with no picture or I would have the picture but the sound would cut in and out. When it would occur the only way I could fix it was to unplug the box so it would reboot. This was happening a couple times a week. I got the time last week to go to the cable company and get an updated box. So far it has not reoccurred. Mine runs from 8300HDC to Yamaha RX-V665 To 50G10. It's not the same setup but it sounds like a hand shake issue. Hope this helps.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post

Sounds like the same problem I started to have with my 50G10 and 8300HDC cable box. It was the snow with no picture or I would have the picture but the sound would cut in and out. When it would occur the only way I could fix it was to unplug the box so it would reboot. This was happening a couple times a week. I got the time last week to go to the cable company and get an updated box. So far it has not reoccurred. Mine runs from 8300HDC to Yamaha RX-V665 To 50G10. It's not the same setup but it sounds like a hand shake issue. Hope this helps.

I think we are hoping it is not the box itself. I've just started noticing this within the last couple of months so maybe a port issue on the tivo itself. I'd be curious what Tivo support has to say if anything.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #12 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I think we are hoping it is not the box itself. I've just started noticing this within the last couple of months so maybe a port issue on the tivo itself. I'd be curious what Tivo support has to say if anything.

I was also thinking it might be a handshake issue, and from the additional replies it's sounding more and more like it might be an issue with the TiVo (albeit perhaps not a big deal). Somehow, this makes me feel better than if it were an issue with the TV, because a) I've dealt with TiVo support in the past, and they were wonderful, and b) I've heard some horror stories about Panasonic support. I may post on the TiVo forum, just to see if there's anyone else who can corroborate. Will update if I hear anything.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page