Screen Size Affecting PQ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys. Forgive me I'm quite new to looking at higher end TV's. I currently have a 4 year old 40" Samsung LCD that still looks great to me. But it's time for something bigger. I did tons of research and had decided on a 65" GT30. I found out my friend had a 60" GT30 and went to his house to take a look. He broke it in and was using a custom THX setting and I was shocked to see that the 49ers/Saints game on FOX yesterday looked terrible. We both have cable (which I'm sure doesn't help) but I guess my question is.....when stepping up to a large screen size like 65", are you going to notice more poor looking programs than you would on say a smaller 40"? We were sitting about 10' away. Can going too big hurt??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 AM

Sometimes it does if you are very close a big screen looks very pixelated but other thing are you sure the content was being displayed in hd ? That the cable Box was hd and connected via hdmi ? Because if it didn't then it would look horrible .
post #3 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Liked: 11
Something must have been wrong. I have a 60gt30 and it looks incredible with even OTA broadcasts. I'm using THX with minor tweaks and no breaking in or aging of the panel whatsoever.

Throw in a good blu ray and take a look. The picture is fantastic on these sets. Even my wife comments on the picture quality of the GT and this is after coming from a Sony 55a2000 sxrd that Looked great.

Make sure it is a good source and go from there. A bad signal looks terrible and as we all know you can't polish a turd.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Saints/49ers game was a source problem. Usually 720p fox games look great. That being said, keep in mind the larger the screen size, the more the pq suffers, especially when viewing compressed cable channels. For general cable TV/SAT viewing, I've never seen a 50" look as good as a 42" plasma panel.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

He did put in a blu-ray that looked amazing. I'm thinking it was the fox broadcast. When there was a close up shot it looked great but when the camera was zoomed out the picture looked terrible.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Yup you can think of going bigger in screen size as looking through a magnifying glass. Those defects are there they are just bigger on a bigger screen.

Sitting further back helps. Also the difference between cable Hd and blueray is night and day. Nothing you can do about cable quality. I wish they sold a premiun service that was full definition with no compression.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

What size TV do you guys think is optimal for a main family room tv? I'm also thinking of switching to directTV
post #8 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Fox often looks a bit grainy. I can only assume it has to do with broadcast compression artifacts, since it not only occurs on many cable services but also OTA and on satellite.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dczora2001 View Post

What size TV do you guys think is optimal for a main family room tv? I'm also thinking of switching to directTV

What's the viewing distance from the TV to the seating area?
post #10 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

12 feet
post #11 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Different cable systems can have very different signal quality. I'm watching the game on fox right now, cable, 58" screen, 9', awesome. As tezster suggests, you really need to keep viewing distance in mind as well. At 10', if you have really noticeable issues with a 60" screen, I think you ought to give satellite a try. Personally I'm hesitant to go 65" at 9-10'. Fine for bluray, but I watch too much tv.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarls View Post

Different cable systems can have very different signal quality. I'm watching the game on fox right now, cable, 58" screen, 9', awesome. As tezster suggests, you really need to keep viewing distance in mind as well. At 10', if you have really noticeable issues with a 60" screen, I think you ought to give satellite a try. Personally I'm hesitant to go 65" at 9-10'. Fine for bluray, but I watch too much tv.

Yep. The game's coming in loud and clear.

Ian

post #13 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dczora2001 View Post

12 feet

Sorry, I was posting while you were posting. Keep in mind that if the camera is zoomed out to where you can see 40 yards+ of a football field, you should not expect to be able to read the name off the back of every jersey on the field. Not on any size screen.

I would be happy to defer to someone who has lots of experience at exactly 12'. But for my part I'd think similarly to 10'. 60" should be dead safe - or your signal source is really a problem. I think for 65" you need to be confident that your signal quality is consistently better than average.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarls View Post

Sorry, I was posting while you were posting. Keep in mind that if the camera is zoomed out to where you can see 40 yards+ of a football field, you should not expect to be able to read the name off the back of every jersey on the field. Not on any size screen.

I would be happy to defer to someone who has lots of experience at exactly 12'. But for my part I'd think similarly to 10'. 60" should be dead safe - or your signal source is really a problem. I think for 65" you need to be confident that your signal quality is consistently better than average.

At 8 ft I had no problem at any time on my 46'' inch screen watching the big blue machine sack Rogers 4 times!

Ian

post #15 of 18 Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM

Yah, what you saw is magnification of a crappy signal. If its a true HD source (even 720) it would look incredible. Consider this: when you go to the movies and you pay $15 to watch a Digital Imax film (or Dolby XD) the resolution you are seeing is called 2k, as in approximately 2000 pixels horizontal on that giant screen. That is very, very close to the res on your little 65"!
post #16 of 18 Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are you sure he didn't have the cable receiver plugged in via composite cables or something like that? Alot of people make that kind of mistake.

Overscan would also affect PQ.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Personally I'm hesitant to go 65" at 9-10'. Fine for bluray, but I watch too much tv.

Agree with this assessment. Our 60" looks GREAT at 9ft with Blu-rays (barring the odd green/pink tint...), VG with MOST "HDTV" material (Uverse), but with Upconverted SD DVDs PQ appears distinctly poorer than on our 50" with same source & at the same distance.

For many SD DVDs & lower quality sources, we really want to be a good 12 feet away to "hide" the flaws. (Just happens that we have a "secondary seating position" that is very close to 12 feet away...)
post #18 of 18 Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

At 8 ft I had no problem at any time on my 46'' inch screen watching the big blue machine sack Rogers 4 times!

Ian

Haha
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page