TC-P60S30 Tiny Dots on the Panel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the TC-P60S30. I noticed when I look close the picture seems a little pixelated. There are tiny dots within images, such if I look at a black football helmet I can see little green dots. And that goes for the entire picture, not necessicarliy green dots, but I see little minute dots in all of the images. The dots are not visible from 10 feet away - so I am wondering if this is normal part of the Plasma panel.

Is it just a matter of optimal viewing distance? Such as the optimal distance to view the panel is between 7.5 to15 feet for a panel this size. The picture seems pretty good 12 feet away.

I am just concerned that something is wrong with the Plasma. I hoping for some insight. Any Plasma Guru's out there or someone that owns this model out there that can help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
How close to the screen do you have to be before you see these dots?

How far away do you have to move before the dots are not longer visible?

Have you examined other channels or programs or sources etc to see if you see the same kind of dots?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
What you may be describing is a condition called false contouring or banding which is usally due to overly compressed video signals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterization

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick replies.

Randy - the dots were visible up to about 6-7 feet away. The "sweet spot" seems to be more 7.5 feet or more for the "dots" to blend in.

Mailiang - thanks for the info on banding. Very helpful info.

With a little experimentation I may have "fixed" or "adjusted" the issue that I was having.

It seems that my picture setting was on Standard, which in my opinion is a very bland setting. The picture is dull, and not very bright. And from what I found - these "dots" were visible.

Well, I changed the settings to anything other than Standard, such as Cinema, Vivid, Game...et cetera. The display is much crisper and the dots are not visible.

Regarding the banding - I think this still occurs slightly. Although the channel & connection is High Definition, I feel the cable signal is still compressed to a degree where the Hi-Def is not as crisp & clean as the Blue-Ray player provides.

So two things that I have learned. Watch my 60" in the optimal viewing distance 7.5-14 feet. Adjust the settings to other than Standard.

Any other tips?

Thanks again!

Westie91
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by westie91 View Post

Thanks for the quick replies.

Randy - the dots were visible up to about 6-7 feet away. The "sweet spot" seems to be more 7.5 feet or more for the "dots" to blend in.

Mailiang - thanks for the info on banding. Very helpful info.

With a little experimentation I may have "fixed" or "adjusted" the issue that I was having.

It seems that my picture setting was on Standard, which in my opinion is a very bland setting. The picture is dull, and not very bright. And from what I found - these "dots" were visible.

Well, I changed the settings to anything other than Standard, such as Cinema, Vivid, Game...et cetera. The display is much crisper and the dots are not visible.

Regarding the banding - I think this still occurs slightly. Although the channel & connection is High Definition, I feel the cable signal is still compressed to a degree where the Hi-Def is not as crisp & clean as the Blue-Ray player provides.

So two things that I have learned. Watch my 60" in the optimal viewing distance 7.5-14 feet. Adjust the settings to other than Standard.

Any other tips?

Thanks again!

Westie91

Try setting your cable box to native and then 1080i, keep which ever looks best. Also, make sure your BD player is set to auto or 1080p.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by westie91 View Post

With a little experimentation I may have "fixed" or "adjusted" the issue that I was having. It seems that my picture setting was on Standard, which in my opinion is a very bland setting. The picture is dull, and not very bright. And from what I found - these "dots" were visible. Well, I changed the settings to anything other than Standard, such as Cinema, Vivid, Game...et cetera. The display is much crisper and the dots are not visible.

So two things that I have learned. Watch my 60" in the optimal viewing distance 7.5-14 feet. Adjust the settings to other than Standard. Any other tips?

Try using the Custom picture mode with these settings as a rough starting point then fine tune them from there:

Contrast: 80
Brightness: 55
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm or Normal
HD Size: Size 2
Black Level: Light

Also, here's the S30 settings thread for more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1327260

I also always set my sources to output everything at 1080i fixed - this gives me a crisper and more detailed image.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page