Cracked Plasma - what to do next? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I took delivery of brand new Samsung 64D7000 for our bonus room two weeks ago after getting a good deal over the holidays from our local Best Buy. I just finished running the break in slides and it was looking incredible...

And then things came crashing down. Last weekend, my two boys (7 & 4) were playing upstairs when my oldest came down to tell me that my youngest had thrown something that hit the tv

I went up to find a crack in the bottom of the screen

The tv is now ruined as it has a big area of lines and black through the bottom and middle of the screen where the crack is.

My question is to what to do with the tv? Is it worth it to try and list it on Craigs List and hope to get something for it? Just put it on the curb? I already know that the cost to replace to the screen is more than getting a new one so that is no go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Make it the kids' only tv to watch While I can't imagine buying something like that ya never know what someone else might pay for.

post #3 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Same thing happened to my 60gt30. After figuring out it would cost more to get fixed than buy a new one, I sold it on our local online classifieds for next to nothing. Called insurance company, but that sort of thing isn't covered. Extended warranties purchased from the retailers don't cover it either. I tried all the options. Made me physically sick to my stomach to sell my 6 week old panny plasma for $150. But, Its better than just throwing it away.

I have looked into these screen cover producst made from some heavy duty acrylic that they say won't alter the quality of the picture. It sits right on the front of the screen and protects it. The videos I've seen shows the screen protectors take some really hard hits with not even a scratch. My 2 boys are crazy so I know what it's like. Maybe look into that of its going to be in a room where kids will be playing.

Some people will get on here and say "my kids know better than to go near daddy's stuff". But really? My kids know that too but accidents happen so all we can do is chalk it up as a lesson learned. I truly am sorry because that just plain sucks. Good luck.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My major CC gives double the mfg warranty and 30 days of "OOOPs I knocked it on the floor" coverage when i purchase something.

Tony
post #5 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
There's a chance there may be a local technician or repair shop that may buy the TV for the internal parts, as the main board and tuner otherwise will work. You will have to check around. They may offer you a very small amount. And you can try and see if Best Buy or Samsung will refund/replace the TV, but that is highly unlikely. Although some Samsung screens have reportedly cracked due to defect/overheating.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbrett View Post

Is it worth it to try and list it on Craigs List and hope to get something for it?

Don't throw it away, but place it on Craigslist or eBay for the parts. You will get something for it.

However, demand for the parts increases after the factory warranties end. During the factory warranty, the manufacturer usually covers defective parts, so few are looking for parts themselves. However, once that warranty ends, it becomes real expensive to have a TV repaired, so good parts become sought after as a cheaper repair.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #7 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbrett View Post

So I took delivery of brand new Samsung 64D7000 for our bonus room two weeks ago after getting a good deal over the holidays from our local Best Buy.......The tv is now ruined as it has a big area of lines and black through the bottom and middle of the screen where the crack is.

Did you buy this TV with a good credit card that automatically includes accidental breakage coverage on new purchases? Lots of people are not even be aware that their card provider offers this. Call your credit card provider and see if they have this feature. You might get lucky!

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #8 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Great idea. I always buy expensive electronics on my AMEX as the particular card I have doubles the warranty coverage up to a maximum of one year more. I wonder if your kids playing around the TV and damaging it is covered.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bkW-qSORSY

I'd rather give you $10 than 10 minutes. I can always earn $10, where do I go to earn 10 minutes.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I purchased the tv on a Visa Signature card which doubles the manufactures warranty - but unfortunately this situation isn't covered.

It has been a learning moment for both of my boys, and for me as a parent. In the end, life goes on.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page