Samsung D series FBr fix discussion - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good information for when I get the TV next week. Thanks for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
okay so I think my tv went into optimization, it like rebooted a couple of times. How do I check my fm or my logic board?

I just got my tv two days ago Pn51D6500
post #543 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post

okay so I think my tv went into optimization, it like rebooted a couple of times. How do I check my fm or my logic board?

I just got my tv two days ago Pn51D6500

mute 737 ok
post #544 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky View Post

mute 737 ok

thank you!

Logic SW Version 11-10-31
Logic SW Check Sum 0xB402

I should be gravy right?

are there anything I need to enable while im in this menu?
post #545 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
I just updated my pn59d7000 last night. I was on the 1015 firmware but I had an older date on the logic board software. My TV was manufactured December 2011 but it would not take the 59DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin. It took the 59DS_ITO_DeepBlack.bin though.

Just wanted to note that I had a heck of a time getting the emulator to work. I was trying to do it from my laptop. First of all, AVG kept throwing a threat warning on it. Some searches online showed it was coming up as a VBA/VBScript trojan threat I think. After I got through that though I kept getting a connection error when trying to issue remote commands. I disabled all AVG/Windows security and even tried a wired connection with my laptop and nothing would work. I could control the volume of the TV with one of the other tabs, but none of the buttons on the remote tab would work. I loaded it up on a desktop PC and it worked fine. Still not sure why. Both were windows 7 64-bit machines and both running the same version of AVG.
post #546 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM

I really feel embarrassed I'm
A successful contractor but I can't get this to work. I'm not the most computer savvy person!I been trying to get this emulator to work and now thanks to Zoyd for his input I can't use my Mac for the emulator and it's all I have. I was told to download vbox and I still can't get it do you guys think I am better off having a technician come and swap out my logic board for the updated one? I am about done with this it has consumed me
post #547 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

no negative side effects reported. You don't need to recalibrate other than checking your brightness setting.

@akkkmed: yes, do step 2 - logic board update.

Thanks alot zoyd. Can you just confirm for me CS still works as before in 2D and 3D?
Appreciate it
post #548 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 313
post #549 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really feel embarrassed I'm
A successful contractor but I can't get this to work. I'm not the most computer savvy person!I been trying to get this emulator to work and now thanks to Zoyd for his input I can't use my Mac for the emulator and it's all I have. I was told to download vbox and I still can't get it do you guys think I am better off having a technician come and swap out my logic board for the updated one? I am about done with this it has consumed me

Sorry, haven't been following your situation. Are you sure you need logic board update? If so best bet would be to borrow a buddies laptop
post #550 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Sorry, haven't been following your situation. Are you sure you need logic board update? If so best bet would be to borrow a buddies laptop

Well when I updated from 1013 to 1014.6 the firmware updated but the logic board remained at 11 06 07 and I
Still seeing pops.
post #551 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Well when I updated from 1013 to 1014.6 the firmware updated but the logic board remained at 11 06 07 and I
Still seeing pops.

You just need to learn how to run Windows on a Mac. You could go to a Mac forum - there will be plenty of guys willing to help out.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #552 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Interesting, I''ll wager that this timing update was designed with the 2012 sets in mind to remove the fluctuations and lower mll slightly (hence the file name DeepBlack). At CES Samsung announced 10% lower blacks for the E-series, which is not much but a good marketing point. In order to do that they would have to lower the rate at which pixels get initialized. We already know that the initialization rate goes up with increasing APL which generates the (now smooth) increases in mll. In the other direction the ramp now produces zero initialization pulses at some point. I wonder why there are the ~7 clicks of adjustment between mll on and mll off?

The totally black screen surprised me when I was looking for the points where the new changes in brightness occurred by varying the Brightness control. I was using the same method that I described here.

In September when I did this, in addition to the sudden increase in brightness when raising the Brightness control, there was a sudden decrease down to the normal MLL when reducing the Brightness control back down. Now with the new logic update, under certain reproducible conditions, the screen cuts off completely.

It's a similar effect that my 2009 Panasonic plasmas show in their Vivid mode -- about the same as the Samsung Dynamic mode.

Larry
post #553 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Can someone with a 64D7000 that no longer sees pops after the update post their picture settings? I'm still seeing a lot of pops, in fact, they seem way more frequent than prior to the update.
post #554 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 34
After having tried most settings posted in the D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration thread, I had finally settled on the ones posted by varkeast on 7/7/11 (can't post links yet). I got rid of, or at least greatly reduced, fluctuations using the logic board update method, and those settings still work best for me.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #555 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Jruc03,

That is a new phenomenon (feature?) that came with the logic board update. It will happen if you have the Brightness control set too low. It also will happen if the Black Level is on the Low option and the source is sending a Normal signal.

Larry

No, it's not new.

My D550 comletely turned off the panel with fullscree 0% input signal before October (when softwares started go wild in the EU) with some Brightness settings around 63 (I can't remember exactly).

And may be I am wrong but I think you also reported the same thing around summer.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #556 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 PM

ok I got the emulator to communicate with the tv. I hit info and factory and I couldnt get svc to come up. all the tv did was go through the color slides that are on the emulator.any suggestions?
post #557 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #558 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

If you hit factory twice it plays the slides, make sure you only press it once after info

Zoyd I'm pretty sure I only hit it once then I waited a little while and hit it again thats why the color slides popped up. after I hit factory should another window pop up? Is that where the svc button is? And if so I wonder why it didn't pop up
post #559 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Hit 3Speed to quit from burn-in mode.
But it should not start. You should see a blue OSD if you hit Factory only once. (But proceed with 3Speed now.)

post #560 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Zoyd I'm pretty sure I only hit it once then I waited a little while and hit it again thats why the color slides popped up. after I hit factory should another window pop up? Is that where the svc button is? And if so I wonder why it didn't pop up

Info+Factory is a button combo - need to press them in quick succession. If it works, you'll see the SM on the display - just use the display remote from there, it's easier.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #561 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

No, it's not new.

My D550 comletely turned off the panel with fullscree 0% input signal before October (when softwares started go wild in the EU) with some Brightness settings around 63 (I can't remember exactly).

And may be I am wrong but I think you also reported the same thing around summer.

Hi, Janos,

I still stand behind my statement emphatically. Maybe it happened on your European D550 but it never did on my D7000 before the logic update. And I did a lot of experimenting with settings and never saw it before.

Anyway, it is of no consequence since it will not occur on a properly adjusted D7000.

Larry
post #562 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM

well the guy samsung sent was worthless, didn't even have the logic board update,i think he said he might have to roll bacl the 1019.5 to ba able to do it,he's gonna call samsung tomorrow and let me know,i tried showing him the pops from a movie on netflix and he seemed to think it was because it was a downloaded movie,i told him it happens on cable netflix disc etc. but i didint have a bluray so if he calls samsung and dosen't come back out i guess ill have to try to use the logic board update here myself or call best buy and see what they can do. im pretty mad cause i told sammy i needed the logic board updated and the guy said they never told him that.lol
post #563 of 1617 Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 PM

Finally got my 51D8000 flashed. But one thing is strange. When I watch the demonstration video of the Spears and Munsil disc, I have what seems to be a brightness pop. It happens right as you start the demonstration.

First you see the Lake and the house, as soon as it switches to the picture of the white bridge and the tree, you get a short but noticeable brightness pop. I'm not sure if that's from the TV or the Bluray. Can anyone else confirm this?

Projector: AE7000
Screen: 5x12 Wilson Art Laminate Designer White
Receiver: Denon 2112Ci
Fronts: DefTech 8020ST
Center: DefTech 8040HD
Side Surround: DefTech SR 8040 BPs
Rear Surround: DefTech PM 1000s
Subwoofers: 2x HSU VTF 15H's
post #564 of 1617 Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 51D450 which doesn't have any network connectivity at all, so I am unable to use the emulator and therefore cannot apply the fix.

The funny thing is my black level is completely stable, even at different picture levels when viewing letterbox content. I do however have mild pops in midtone brightness (gamma) around a certain threshold of picture level. However it is so rare that it's not actually an issue for me. My issue with the TV is actually a lack of red saturation in the 0-20% brightness range, which only occurs on full screen content (window patterns measure fine). The result of this lack of red saturation is a sickly cyan tint to skin tones in the 0-20% brightness range (in the dark or shadowy regions of actors faces). I am hoping this "optimization" of the logic board might help with that issue. In the meantime I have been able to improve it somewhat by adding +2 red and -2 green+blue from the 10-20 intervals in the 10 point white balance control. While significantly improved, it still is a fair way off looking correct.
post #565 of 1617 Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza View Post

Finally got my 51D8000 flashed. But one thing is strange. When I watch the demonstration video of the Spears and Munsil disc, I have what seems to be a brightness pop. It happens right as you start the demonstration.

First you see the Lake and the house, as soon as it switches to the picture of the white bridge and the tree, you get a short but noticeable brightness pop. I'm not sure if that's from the TV or the Bluray. Can anyone else confirm this?

I think I had that one before the fix, but I have watched that sequence several times since and haven't noticed anything. I'll check tonight.
post #566 of 1617 Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrjmj View Post

well the guy samsung sent was worthless, didn't even have the logic board update,i think he said he might have to roll bacl the 1019.5 to ba able to do it,he's gonna call samsung tomorrow and let me know,i tried showing him the pops from a movie on netflix and he seemed to think it was because it was a downloaded movie,i told him it happens on cable netflix disc etc. but i didint have a bluray so if he calls samsung and dosen't come back out i guess ill have to try to use the logic board update here myself or call best buy and see what they can do. im pretty mad cause i told sammy i needed the logic board updated and the guy said they never told him that.lol

Yeah, there is the absolute bare minimum of communication between Samsung and the service people. Here in NJ (home of Samsung HQ), they don't send someone from Samsung, the work seems to be contracted out. The guy I had was completely clueless as well, and was clearly trained to make excuses in an attempt to explain away your problems. I think you always have the option to contact Samsung again to tell them you are not satisfied with the service. Eventually, it seems you will get an actual human being at Samsung to review your case, and hopefully sort things out.
post #567 of 1617 Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, sounds like you've at least got it connected properly. Should be pretty easy from there.

Once I had the emulator running and connected, I first verified that I could control the TV with it (changed the channel). With the TV ON, pressing info followed by factory brings up the service menu, superimposed over whatever you are watching. Within that menu you will see a SVC submenu option. I never saw the color break-in images.
post #568 of 1617 Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Well, sounds like you've at least got it connected properly. Should be pretty easy from there.

Once I had the emulator running and connected, I first verified that I could control the TV with it (changed the channel). With the TV ON, pressing info followed by factory brings up the service menu, superimposed over whatever you are watching. Within that menu you will see a SVC submenu option. I never saw the color break-in images.

Thanks AvidHiker I will give it a go once again later. can I use my samsung remote once the svc submenu shows up in the tv?
post #569 of 1617 Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka81 View Post

in setting I opened viewing of extensions.
so, of course it's only logic.bin, not logic.bin.bin.

p.s. owners of D6900DS - please, give me working already renamed logic.bin for this tv. thanx.

so.
it was 11-02-21
now, i finally upgraded with \\blackness\\TCON\\51DS_DeepBlack.bin (576 КБ (589 824 bytes))
now it's 11-10-31 - see attachment.

in readme it says about 11-11-12

so, was it ok for me in upgrading or nothing actually changed??
LL

pan Oleksiy
post #570 of 1617 Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks AvidHiker I will give it a go once again later. can I use my samsung remote once the svc submenu shows up in the tv?

Yes.

An alternative method:
- enter the SM with your normal remote (US key sequence in the first post or info-menu-mute-power in the EU)
- hit Factory on the network remote (burn-in slideshow will start)
- hit 3Speed (to quit from burn-in mode)
Use the service tools as described in the first post.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Bd D6500 Za D6500 Serivce Blue Ray Disc Player 3d Stereo
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page