Samsung D series FBr fix discussion - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Zoyd can you explain how you updated your logic board without doing a full FW update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
again. to the naked eye. black levels on my d550 is 100% the same. If ur having bad pop issues I would 100% update
post #93 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM

I had already updated optimized and pops are fixed.
My question was out of interest in how Zoyd is able push an update to the timing board only. Zoyd you have said on a few occasions that you updated the timing board but did not apply the full FW patch. Your reasons seemed to be you were waiting to hear results of the full patch.
How did you do your update? Did you use a terminal and RS232 serial connection?
post #94 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

I had already updated optimized and pops are fixed.
My question was out of interest in how Zoyd is able push an update to the timing board only. Zoyd you have said on a few occasions that you updated the timing board but did not apply the full FW patch. Your reasons seemed to be you were waiting to hear results of the full patch.
How did you do your update? Did you use a terminal and RS232 serial connection?

Hi obveron - I updated the first post with the method for logic board update. It's only applicable to the D8000, we can't find the same menu item on the D7000.

-----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Yap, that's what I cried about in November.

No, the black level of the 2011 Panasonics is really stable.
My D550 fluctuated between 0.045 - 0.12 cd/m^2 with the FBr-fix EU firmwares which was enough to make me get rid of it. My current Pana G30 is stable at ~0.022 cd/m^2 which is half of the lowest Samsung but the fluctuation itself was more disturbing for me than the contrast difference (but yah, the Samsung looked very milky when I placed them side-by-side and displayed the same random pictures on them but it doesn't mean the Panasonic isn't milky as well when it's alone in the dark...).

yeah, I should have paid more attention to this when you went through it. On a brighter note - maybe you should have stuck it out. I just finished tuning the voltage/timing pots on my 51" (similar to what the LG guys did) and the improvement is dramatic. Dropped my mll from 0.055 cd/m^2 to the bottom limit of my probe, it's now somewhere around 0.02 cd/m^2. The black bar rises are also quite a bit better. Previously I saw peaks of 0.1 cd/m^2 as well and the same material now peaks at <0.04 cd/m^2. I am a happy camper.

-----

post #96 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks, I didn't notice the OP update.

Oooh please describe or send links to the pot tweaks. That is right up my alley.
post #97 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

Thanks, I didn't notice the OP update.

Oooh please describe or send links to the pot tweaks. That is right up my alley.

you got it, new thread about tweaks is up.

-----

post #98 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Hi obveron - I updated the first post with the method for logic board update. It's only applicable to the D8000, we can't find the same menu item on the D7000.

Looks like this option was moved into the service menu on the D7000 (mute-1-8-2-power). It's called "T-CON USB Download". Unfortunately, the option is grayed out so no way to start the upgrade. Maybe needs the factory remote - can it be emulated with a Logitech Harmony? The German network remote app does not seem to work with this TV either.
post #99 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Does anyone know if there is another stand you can buy with the d8000 64"?

My wife hates the "cylon stand" and I could get the tv to fit my entertainment center perfectly if it was about 37" with stand (instead of the current 38 or so inches).
post #100 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

maybe you should have stuck it out. I just finished tuning the voltage/timing pots on my 51" (similar to what the LG guys did) and the improvement is dramatic. Dropped my mll from 0.055 cd/m^2 to the bottom limit of my probe, it's now somewhere around 0.02 cd/m^2. The black bar rises are also quite a bit better. Previously I saw peaks of 0.1 cd/m^2 as well and the same material now peaks at <0.04 cd/m^2. I am a happy camper.

I thought about this too (as a possible solution to the increased average black level). I checked out the pot and measuring locations in the service manual but I decided to leave it alone as I waited for Samsung's response regarding the issues and such a hardware modification is a real warranty breaker (not if the TDM accessing wasn't but it really dances on the edge...).

And who says I can't tune the pots on a Pana G30 as well? (Well, me... I think I would actually end up with a slightly higher MLL as I have now. May be it's just a dithering artifact but it seems like there is a very rare misfire in high contrast situations - for example a moving white rectangle on a black background like the built-in "scrolling bars" test/"screenwash" + I got 5 years warranty and I plan to move on quickly because the 2012 Panasonics are very promising on paper. So I didn't even check out the manual yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

My wife hates the "cylon stand"

I would be happy if I could have a cylon baseship model at home for free (as "free" that I need to buy that anyway but it has a useful function other than decoration...).
It's even better if it looks like a TV stand, so people don't call me nerd but I can dream about being Gaius Baltar every time I look at the TV stand.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #101 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Looks like this option was moved into the service menu on the D7000 (mute-1-8-2-power). It's called "T-CON USB Download". Unfortunately, the option is grayed out so no way to start the upgrade. Maybe needs the factory remote - can it be emulated with a Logitech Harmony? The German network remote app does not seem to work with this TV either.

LarryInRI has successfully updated his D7000 using the german factory remote emulator (ruSamungCommunicator) which enables the usb upload. Hopefully he will report his procedure and results soon.

-----

post #102 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Do you think it's possible to downgrade the logic panel firmware from the "half-opened" service menu (the access level after FACTOR and 3SPEED but without serial console and root access)?

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #103 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Do you think it's possible to downgrade the logic panel firmware from the "half-opened" service menu (the access level after FACTOR and 3SPEED but without serial console and root access)?

In theory yes but I've examined past firmware packages and there are no original .bin files to flash. The logic boards were flashed at the factory and we don't have any way to get those files.

-----

post #104 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
To perform the logic update on the D7000, the 'ruSamsungTVCommunicator' factory remote emulator must be used.

Do the following at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage that you may do to your TV.

First use the mute+7+3+7+enter method and note the Logic SW version. For the 51 inch screen, note the panel type (DS or DF.)

Download the file from zoyd's first post and extract the files:
51DF_DeepBlack.bin
51DS_DeepBlack.bin
59DS_ITO_DeepBlack.bin
59DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin
64DS_ITO_Deepblack.bin
64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin

Now following zoyd's general methodology (I plagiarized your stuff, zoyd):

1. Rename the 'xxDS_ITO_Deepblack.bin' file to LOGIC.bin where xx indicates your screen size
1a. For the 51 inch screen, use the file that matches the panel type (DS or DF)
2. Place on stick in folder PDP_LOGIC
3. Turn on TV and attach stick
4. Establish a wireless connection with the emulator in the Fernbedienung tab
5. On the emulator, hit the Info button and then the Factory button to get into the Service Menu
6. Navigate to SVC and select it
7. Navigate to Logic USB D/L and select it
6. Right arrow to initiate logic flash
7. 'Updating' will be displayed if the TV accepted the file and this takes a minute or so and then the TV reboots.

No more fluctuations.

Finally use the mute+7+3+7+enter method again and note the Logic SW version

After I successfully updated the logic, I tried the other file (renaming 64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin to logic.bin etc.) but the D7000 indicated that no file was to be found.

Larry
post #105 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM

Liked: 13
Please excuse my ignorance but does there appear to be any consensus about whether or not this "fix" works for the D7000? Thinking about picking up the 51 inch this week if it seems like a majority of these USB drives are fixing the problem.
post #106 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

To perform the logic update on the D7000, the 'ruSamsungTVCommunicator' factory remote emulator must be used.

First use the mute+7+3+7+enter method and note the Logic SW version. For the 51 inch screen, note the panel type (DS or DF.)

Download the file from zoyd's first post and extract the files:
51DF_DeepBlack.bin
51DS_DeepBlack.bin
59DS_ITO_DeepBlack.bin
59DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin
64DS_ITO_Deepblack.bin
64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin

Now following zoyd's general methodology (I plagiarized your stuff, zoyd):
1. Rename the 'xxDS_ITO_Deepblack.bin' file to LOGIC.bin where xx indicates your screen size
1a. For the 51 inch screen, use the file that matches the panel type (DS or DF)
2. Place on stick in folder PDP_LOGIC
3. Turn on TV and attach stick
4. Establish a wireless connection with the emulator in the Fernbedienung tab
5. On the emulator, hit the Info button and then the Factory button to get into the Service Menu
6. Navigate to SVC and select it
7. Navigate to Logic USB D/L and select it
6. Right arrow to initiate logic flash
7. 'Updating' will be displayed if the TV accepted the file and this takes a minute or so and then the TV reboots.

No more fluctuations.

Finally use the mute+7+3+7+enter method again and note the Logic SW version

After I successfully updated the logic, I tried the other file (renaming 64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin to logic.bin etc.) but the D7000 indicated that no file was to be found.

Larry

Is all this in place of the two sticks I'm waiting on?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #107 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Is all this in place of the two sticks I'm waiting on?

All that is simple -- much more simple than waiting for sticks for the D700 that may take weeks to be sent out.

Larry
post #108 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the instructions Larry! Just tried to flash my 64D7000 but it's not taking the 64DS_ITO_Deepblack.bin renamed LOGIC.bin file from the download zoyd posted.
post #109 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draelith View Post

Thanks for the instructions Larry! Just tried to flash my 64D7000 but it's not taking the 64DS_ITO_Deepblack.bin renamed LOGIC.bin file from the download zoyd posted.

Make sure that the logic.bin file is in a folder named folder PDP_LOGIC.

Larry
post #110 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 PM

Did that but still no joy, tried with both caps and lowercase for the bin file rename. I'm getting a "No match" on the Logic USB D/L. Tried plugging it into both USB ports (just in case) as well.

Interestingly enough I tried with a different USB drive. Now it just shows "Fail".

My firmware prior to update is showing 11-02-22.
post #111 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can you post your Model code and Software version from user menu support->contact samsung?

-----

post #112 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Model Code: 64PND7000
Software Version: T-MST5AUSC-1015.0, BT-G
post #113 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok, no problem there. You can try re-downloading the zip file and also try the other file 64DS_ITO_lessDeepblack.bin. Otherwise I don't have any other suggestions. There were some D8000 folks whose logic boards did not update via the normal path with the new FW so maybe there is a problem on samsung's end with some units.

-----

post #114 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Ok got it to work! First off... don't use a 8gb USB it seemed to have issues, I used a 256MB and it worked.

Also had to use the 64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin for my model (no clue as to what the difference is)?

Firmware now showing as 11-11-04.
post #115 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

draelith,

Interesting. You needed the '64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin' file and your software version is T-MST5AUSC-1015.0, BT-G.

I needed the '64DS_ITO_DeepBlack.bin' and my software version is T-MST5AUSC-1015.0. No alpha portion.

Larry
post #116 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draelith View Post

Ok got it to work! First off... don't use a 8gb USB it seemed to have issues, I used a 256MB and it worked.

Also had to use the 64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin for my model (no clue as to what the difference is)?

Firmware now showing as 11-11-04.

interesting, can you test any material to tell you how it changed black and/or "pop" behavior?

-----

post #117 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Wife went to bed so quickly loaded up the Test file and viewed it. Overall the "pop" is much more subtle now so the distraction factor has been reduced. The black bars do exhibit some lightening/darkening but not as severe as before. An improvement on my set but not totally fixed as I can still see changes in the side bars.
post #118 of 1617 Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Success on a PN51D6900 with DS panel.

Will try to see about positive effects later this week, the upgrade erased all my calibrated settings (but not the other options) but my brightness was way out of whack until I reset the TV to default setting.
post #119 of 1617 Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Hi

Has anyone tested does these fixes also apply to European models? Like PS59D7005 and PS59D8000?
post #120 of 1617 Old 01-30-2012, 12:37 AM

Cannot thank you enough LarryinRI. I needed to use the 64DS_ITOless_DeepBlack.bin. It's late here (2:30am) so I just did a quick test with a scene from The Matrix that I always saw pops in. Its at the very beginning during the Trinity rooftop chase scene. When she does the slow motion jump from one rooftop to another is where I saw the pops and now they are no longer there (wooooooot!!!)

Thanks again LarryinRI and zoyd!

KWood34
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Bd D6500 Za D6500 Serivce Blue Ray Disc Player 3d Stereo
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page