ST30 buzzes, stops after 5 minutes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - I have a Panny 55ST30 that I bought ~2 months ago (October build). It's been great, and always very quiet. In the past week, though, it's started buzzing loudly when first turned on, but after about 5 minutes it suddenly stops. Not slowly quieting down...like someone flipped a switch.

I'm planning on calling Panasonic, as it's in warranty and obviously not normal - but just wondering if anyone's had the same thing. I see lots of threads on various amounts of buzzing, but haven't heard of one that buzzes and then stops after watching for a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody else, huh?

A slight wrinkle: I can't seem to find my original purchase receipt from Target. Has anyone been successful getting Panasonic to cover a warranty repair without a receipt, or am I SOL?
post #3 of 33 Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

Nobody else, huh?

A slight wrinkle: I can't seem to find my original purchase receipt from Target. Has anyone been successful getting Panasonic to cover a warranty repair without a receipt, or am I SOL?

Did you send in the registration card?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4 of 33 Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:

The TV is definitely defective.

The service technician will require proof that you're the original purchaser so you need to find that receipt. Maybe if you take your credit card statement to Target showing the original transaction they might be able to re-print your receipt?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Hi - I have a Panny 55ST30 that I bought ~2 months ago (October build). It's been great, and always very quiet. In the past week, though, it's started buzzing loudly when first turned on, but after about 5 minutes it suddenly stops. Not slowly quieting down...like someone flipped a switch.

I'm planning on calling Panasonic, as it's in warranty and obviously not normal - but just wondering if anyone's had the same thing. I see lots of threads on various amounts of buzzing, but haven't heard of one that buzzes and then stops after watching for a bit.

There is 2 coils on each side of the TV , top right and top left.

Every ST30 will buzz. But you shouldnt be able to hear it unless your ear is up to it.

These TVs arent like LCDs ultra thin no coils . Id take alittle bit of buzz then go with a LED tv set vs a plasma. Try samsung plasma?
post #6 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Argh - I can't find the receipt anywhere. Target has been totally unhelpful so far, but I'll try to talk to a different person at customer service. I know they can look up a credit card purchase in the past 90 days, but not sure if I can get them to print me another receipt.

Of course, I also recycled the box already so I think I'd have a hard time returning it to Target.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Argh - I can't find the receipt anywhere. Target has been totally unhelpful so far, but I'll try to talk to a different person at customer service. I know they can look up a credit card purchase in the past 90 days, but not sure if I can get them to print me another receipt.

I can't fathom misplacing or losing a receipt for something costing ~$1,500, so hopefully you registered the new TV with Panasonic in which case they may work with you and the contracted local repair center to verify (via the TV's serial number) that you're the original purchaser.

Failing that, if you can get ahold of the local repair center that Panasonic uses and explain the situation to them, they might be willing to forego the receipt verification process and agree to fix it under warranty as i think Panasonic just takes the repairman's word for it that he verified the purchase date and name on your receipt when he arrives at your house.

Quote:
Of course, I also recycled the box already so I think I'd have a hard time returning it to Target.

Target's return policy sucks. I bought a $40 rechargeable vacuum that turned out to have poor suction and when i tried to return it the next day, they said since i already opened it that i could only exchange it toward the purchase of another vacuum (same model or different brand, as long as it's a vacuum). They wouldn't even give me store credit. I tried again a few days later with a different clerk and got the exact same policy. I ended up giving it to my neighbor since it was useless to me. I don't think they would take the TV back even if you had the receipt.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #8 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I am going to stick up for pansonic here
It is normal for some buzzing.. But you shouldnt be able to hear it unless you have your ear at the back of the TV. Techs have told me that they have changed out the entire set which includes all the boards. What a job. And it has not fixed anything. There is two big coils in the back of the set that buzz and no matter what ST you get it is going to buzz some what period. If you can hear it while watching tv with the volume up and you are 3-7feet away then something is wrong. Try getting a really good surge protector . I bet the GT series is a better TV because its thinner . smaller coils. Maybe they use cheaper boards to control the power regulation on the ST .
Are you coming from a LCD?
post #9 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Every ST30 will buzz. But you shouldnt be able to hear it unless your ear is up to it.

Maybe if you have bad hearing......Every plasma I've ever owned I can hear the buzzing without my ear up to it, normal audio blocks it out when watching a movie but I can def hear it from the couch if I put it on mute.
post #10 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I can't fathom misplacing or losing a receipt for something costing ~$1,500, so hopefully you registered the new TV with Panasonic in which case they may work with you and the contracted local repair center to verify (via the TV's serial number) that you're the original purchaser.

Failing that, if you can get ahold of the local repair center that Panasonic uses and explain the situation to them, they might be willing to forego the receipt verification process and agree to fix it under warranty as i think Panasonic just takes the repairman's word for it that he verified the purchase date and name on your receipt when he arrives at your house.

Target's return policy sucks. I bought a $40 rechargeable vacuum that turned out to have poor suction and when i tried to return it the next day, they said since i already opened it that i could only exchange it toward the purchase of another vacuum (same model or different brand, as long as it's a vacuum). They wouldn't even give me store credit. I tried again a few days later with a different clerk and got the exact same policy. I ended up giving it to my neighbor since it was useless to me. I don't think they would take the TV back even if you had the receipt.

weird the only thing i know for a fact their return policy is no questions asked if you have a receipt and you are within the return time. THey did just go from 90 days to 45 days to return . I have even used a vacumm which of course bissel are made in china, it broke after 60 days of useing it i returned it to target for a full refund.. I ended up buying a kenmore and spending 200.00 on a vacuum . Consumer reports says all those cheap bagless vacs break or fall apart eventually because they are all made in china. . I am talking about the 100-150 dollar bagless ones. Bagged vacuum is the way to go lol. Better sucking , no dust or dirt to worry about. But of course you used a portable so that might be different
post #11 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post

Maybe if you have bad hearing......Every plasma I've ever owned I can hear the buzzing without my ear up to it, normal audio blocks it out when watching a movie but I can def hear it from the couch if I put it on mute.

I can't hear my Panny PDP buzz unless the sound is off and I'm right on top of it. I have a Panasonic 20'' CRT in my home office that buzzes and I can just barely hear it with the sound off at about 8ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

weird the only thing i know for a fact their return policy is no questions asked if you have a receipt and you are within the return time. THey did just go from 90 days to 45 days to return . I have even used a vacumm which of course bissel are made in china, it broke after 60 days of useing it i returned it to target for a full refund.. I ended up buying a kenmore and spending 200.00 on a vacuum . Consumer reports says all those cheap bagless vacs break or fall apart eventually because they are all made in china. . I am talking about the 100-150 dollar bagless ones. Bagged vacuum is the way to go lol. Better sucking , no dust or dirt to worry about. But of course you used a portable so that might be different

Maybe you should start a vacuum thread!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #12 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I can't hear my Panny PDP buzz unless the sound is off and I'm right on top of it. I have a Panasonic 20'' CRT in my home office that buzzes and I can just barely hear it with the sound off at about 8ft.

Maybe you should start a vacuum thread!

Ian

Lol Kenmore intuition
its rated #1 consumer reports. Yes its no 500-1k dollar vac but its worth the extra cash over those target/walmart vacs lol

dyson is stupid
post #13 of 33 Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 PM

I know they can look up a credit card purchase in the past 90 days

post #14 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

I have this same issue. My 55ST30 buzzes extremely loud for about 5 minutes when the set is first turned on. After that it quiets down to a softer buzz. This just started recently. It used to be whisper quiet, quieter than any of the three plasmas I have owned since 2003. Now there is this loud buzzing.

I guess it's time to call in some warranty service.

This is not normal, especially so since this buzzing issue was not present when I bought the set in late November 2011.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 03:51 AM

Just found this post. I have the exact same problem. I got my 55st30 in March 2011 and it was dead silent, just a month ago it started making a very, very loud buzz for the first 5 minutes. I can hear it 20 feet away. After the 5 minutes it stops. Unfortunately mine is out of warranty. Has anyone had any success in fixing this? I can live with it as long as the buzzing stops after the 5 minutes are up.
post #16 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Liked: 12
I am having someone service my TV as I type this. The buzzing noise was audible across the room. Will update with how it goes.

Good news for you, it may just be screws that need tightening.. Ill post more info once hes gone.

post #17 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Anybody else who posted have any updates? Was your set repaired? What was the cause of the buzzing?

Randy
post #18 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 12
This was a very simple fix.

My buzzing noise was coming from the top left if I was facing the screen.
Once the back panel was removed there is a board there. Not exactly sure what it is but there are screws holding it in place. The buzzing sound was simply the screws being loose and needing a quarter turn or so each.

That's it.

The guy that was out said its one of the more common problems he has to fix with this particular model.

Just FYI mine too also would stop buzzing after a while. Don't know why that would happen with something being loose but perhaps something vibrated less once it warmed up?
rpm1990 likes this.

post #19 of 33 Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 PM

I have the exact same TV and the same problem.

My TV would buzz very loud for 5 or 10 minutes until it warmed up. I could hear the buzz from literally 20 ft away when the set was on mute. I had a technican come out since the TV was still under warranty and he just replaced the screws on 2 or 3 of the boards and put new screws with lock washers on. It was that simple. He said that as something was warming up it was causing the board to vibrate on the metal that it was mounted to. Im very happy now as my picture has always been awesome on this plasma. This set is very quite now. I have to get about three inches away now to hear anything while on mute. Hope this helps somebody.
post #20 of 33 Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, the tightening of the screws worked for me as well. In my case, the technician doing the warranty work tightened down all the screws on all the boards in the tv while I watched and to my surprise, it fixed the issue. I was skeptical that particular procedure would work, but it did, and there is no more buzzing. (this was months ago back in April)
post #21 of 33 Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Ditto on Target's return policy. After trying to return some defective sandals, I voyed never to buy anything but consumables, such as cleaning products there.

To the OP, you may be able to get warranty service anyway, if the build date for your TV is under a year.

Michael
post #22 of 33 Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Just adding another success story for tightening the screws. My 55ST30 has been buzzing for months, but it typically went away after about 10-15 minutes of warming up. Over the past week, the buzz was more constant.

I just took off the back cover and tightened all the screws on the two boards on the left side. None were "loose", but each needed about a half a turn to tighten. I'm fairly certain the top most board on the upper left (as you look at front of TV) was the culprit as mentioned in previous post. It has a heatsink on it. Nevertheless, no more buzz.

One word of caution, it you choose to take the back of the case off yourself, the edges are sharp so don't get your hands behind and pull too hard. You might consider gloves to be on the safe side as the metal edge is quite sharp.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Be aware that Panasonic has released service hint SH-B34-11-04 for the S30 and ST30 models regarding a buzz problem. Basically, it says to be sure a sponge foam pad is covering transformers T201 and T202 on the power supply P-board.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #24 of 33 Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 AM

My 55ST30 ran out of warranty this week. It started buzzing about 1 month ago so I contacted Panny before the warranty ran out. Service Tech called immediately and told me it was the screws. He replaced all the screws with new screws with washers, packaged with Panasonic on the wrapper so they are well aware of the issue. Rehung the TV and it's perfect again!!
post #25 of 33 Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

OP here - I've been away from this thread for a long time, but want to report that I recently fixed my buzzing issue with some screw tightening as well. I had just lived with the intermittent buzzing in the meantime, as it usually only happened for a few minutes and then went away...but recently it got louder and more persistent.

For anyone who's out of warranty (or cant find their original receipt mad.gif), this is easy to tackle yourself (with the usual caveats about not breaking things or hurting yourself). The screws in question are at the top of the board shown here:

Also shown in this Youtube video (not mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsicYOXVqDA

Mine were noticeably a bit loose to the touch. While I had the back cover off, I checked all of the other screws I could - there were a couple on the other side of the TV that were loose as well (though I never noticed any buzzing from that area).

Anyway, an easy fix that I should have tried sooner!
post #26 of 33 Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Mine(50") was buzzing very badly at times and the other day it was quiet when it's normally noisy. I was getting a lot of noise on the BD home screen, not the white aging slide. So I took the back cover off last week and found the upper right screw on that board about 1 1/4 turn loose, another on that board was about 1/8 turn.

It was an easy repair, glad I did it. Now I wish I took off the screw and looked for any charring marks. The thought of possible lack of ground on that board had me worried a bit.
post #27 of 33 Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Back around June my friend's 60ST30 suddenly started buzzing out of nowhere after several months of silent operation and was now able to hear it from his couch across the room. Previously the TV was silent from a foot away.

The repair shop said it's probably loose board screws and they've had a number of complaints about it and it's a quick easy fix, but when the technician came the screws were all tight so he checked further and pinpointed the sound was coming from a board (upper right corner as viewed from the rear). He had a replacement board in the truck so he replaced it and that fixed the buzz. I wanted to be there for this repair but i had prior commitments. I like to pick the brains of service techs wink.gif

His first 60ST30 was defective upon delivery - the driver powered it up in the lower box and we could hear it buzzing beyond 5 feet. The driver said "that's not normal" and that he'd had to take back a few buzzers but most of them are quiet. My friend thought it might not be all that bad, or that it might get better and kinda wanted to keep it, but myself and even the driver convinced him to refuse it and get a replacement. A week later we got the replacement set and it was virtually silent, until it started buzzing in June.

Randy
post #28 of 33 Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
mine started buzzing a couple weeks ago but stopped. strange

i think ill just call panasonic and have the guy come and fix it before it starts again
post #29 of 33 Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 11
I have the same problem. Seems my warranty expired one month ago, but Panasonic Canada will nonetheless fix this (not cost for me).
A technician will soon come to my house - as with others, seems it is "loose screws" related...
Can't wait to get it fixed!
post #30 of 33 Old 12-18-2012, 03:39 PM

My 46 inch ST30 started buzzing one month ago. I purchased on December 28, 2011 so I'm glad it happened now instead of next month, but it seems like a simple fix anyway. Panasonic is sending out a service tech this week. Does anyone here have a question that you would like me to ask the service tech?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page