LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1288 Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I knew there was a reason to stay with this thread even though I added my two cents enough... I just saved another $50. After reading this morning's thread, we took our receipt back to Costco and they credited us another 50 on the American Express. We hadn't even gotten the bill yet. That just paid for this year's membership. We originally paid $949 after rebate and it's now on the shelf for $899. Costco's a great place to shop if you have one in the area. They didn't give us a second's worth of grief. Try that at Best Buy...

At $1,000 this TV was an excellent buy. At less than 900 it's amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1288 Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude82 View Post

It was originally 999.99. It was 849.99 out the door (plus tax). If I recall it was a manufacturer rebate at the time. Instant rebate.

Im not sure where you got the $849.99 price??? I got a $200 manufacturers rebate of the regular Costco price of $1099. Left out the door at $899 before tax two weeks ago. I know there was a $150 rebate a while ago. $50.00 less than avail now. That rebate is going until sometime in August.

I checked las Vegas, NV & St George, UT Costcos - still the same deal. Was yours a floor model, or is there different regional pricing? Youre only mentioning a $150.00 coupon, yet your original price is $100 less than other costcos around me.

Just curious.
post #453 of 1288 Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM

East coast. Got mine in Pennsylvania.
post #454 of 1288 Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder 2010 View Post

... Costco's a great place to shop if you have one in the area. They didn't give us a second's worth of grief. Try that at Best Buy...
FYI, the price on this set was just reduced by $100 at BB. I purchased mine 18 days ago for $1099.99.

I walked in and made my way to customer service , presented my receipt and I'm happy to report that I was reimbursed $108 without being frowned at. smile.gif
post #455 of 1288 Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder 2010 View Post

Too bad LG doesn't seem to get the respect that Samsung and Panasonic sets get here. I think it's an excellent set, much better than last year's sets that had grays instead of blacks.

In an earlier posit I mentioned that I watched "The Robinsons" on the 60PA6500 and the 55ST30 TV sets. It should have been "The Incredibles". D'oh.

Am presently trying the Amazon settings. I just wish DNice would do a complete calibration on our sets. As I said, we get little respect... biggrin.gif
post #456 of 1288 Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

Too bad LG doesn't seem to get the respect that Samsung and Panasonic sets get here. I think it's an excellent set, much better than last year's sets that had grays instead of blacks.
That's why.
Quote:
Am presently trying the Amazon settings. I just wish DNice would do a complete calibration on our sets. As I said, we get little respect... biggrin.gif
IMO, those Amazon settings are too yellow and pastel. Remember, they were for an older, completely different model than ours.
post #457 of 1288 Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post

I'm getting some pretty crazy amounts of dithering right now on my screen, extremely noticeable.

Yep, Brightness is set too high. Keep it under 50.
post #458 of 1288 Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM

seriously considering one of these to replace my TC-P50X1. the positive comments i have seen here and a $899 price tag at my local costco are making it hard to resist!
post #459 of 1288 Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Liked: 15
Do not resist. It is a great plasma, and the price can't be beat.

I purchased mine last Monday, it was delivered on Tuesday, and Best Buy priced matched it today and refunded me $100.

I finished my burn in period today and used my calibration disc. Kab53 is right. Do not use the Amazon settings. They are for an older set and do not do this plasma justice.

I tried these settings and during the day in the afternoon daylight the Amazon settings look good, but the moment the sun goes down, all the things that are wrong with these settings stand out like a sore thumb.

Using my calibration disc I am using the following settings.....

Power Save :off
Aspect Ratio : just scan
Picture Mode : expert 1
Contrast : 75 (I've noticed people have varying views on contrast, but on this set the difference between 75 to 100 is minimal. I may bump it up 10 more points after another 100 hours)
Brightness : 46 (depending where you have contrast set it will vary between 46 to 48)
H sharpness : 13
V sharpness : 8
Color : 59
Tint : 0

Dynamic Contrast : off
Noise Reduction : off
Gama : medium
Black Level : low
Color Gamut : wide
Edge Enhancer : off
Color Temp : medium
Method : 2 points
Pattern : outer

Color Management all 0

I hope some of you find the setting useful.
Arjun Pun likes this.
post #460 of 1288 Old 07-30-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnbd View Post

Do not resist. It is a great plasma, and the price can't be beat.
I purchased mine last Monday, it was delivered on Tuesday, and Best Buy priced matched it today and refunded me $100.
I finished my burn in period today and used my calibration disc. Kab53 is right. Do not use the Amazon settings. They are for an older set and do not do this plasma justice.
I tried these settings and during the day in the afternoon daylight the Amazon settings look good, but the moment the sun goes down, all the things that are wrong with these settings stand out like a sore thumb.
Using my calibration disc I am using the following settings.....
Contrast : 75 (I've noticed people have varying views on contrast, but on this set the difference between 75 to 100 is minimal. I may bump it up 10 more points after another 100 hours)
Brightness : 46 (depending where you have contrast set it will vary between 46 to 48)
Color Management all 0
very true.yhis lg plasma is even sharper than some of the led tv.amazing
post #461 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 AM

1] Regarding "Film Mode" (previously asked question):

It must be turned 'on' when watching Broadcast TV. Otherwise it will not show up when the HDMI port (BlueRay player) is activated.

2] Just as you have to individually set ECO/APS on each and every input, do NOT run the Wizard II and then apply to "All Inputs". Select each input individually (Off, Vivid, Cinema, Game) and when you run the 'Wizard II,' at the last screen when it asks to apply to DTV, TV, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, Component 1, Component 2, etc, use the "FAV" (Favourite) key on the remote to select/de-select the input you want the settings applied to with the up/down arrows.

3] When you decide to 'Reset' the saved settings - it only affects the individual inputs - so you will have to select Standard, Vivid, Cinema, Game individually and then reset them. Resetting one will not reset all.

4] Make sure that you run the Wizard II for the DTV (Broadcast TV) input alone - you may find that you have to go towards red or green tint (after setting the brightness and contrast for DAY or NIGHT and colour temp), but the flesh tones will probably be better. Write down the settings before or after the settings is/are saved so that you can manually input the settings instead of using any/both "Expert Setting" 'slots'.
post #462 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM

The giant brown truck dropped off my 50PA6500 yesterday afternoon and I got most everything hooked up last night. I still have to call the cable company and get the HD/digital box.

My components are run through a VHT215 sound bar with one HDMI between it and the tv. I suppose that has advantages and disadvantages. I only have to set up one input but everything will run on that setting unless I change between canned modes on the tv. It was late when I got everything hooked up so I didn't get to play with it a whole lot. I still haven't turned on the new blu-ray to set up the wi-fi for it yet, either. These tv's have proprietary Simplink instead of ARC so I'm not sure if it will pair with my sound bar or not.. probably not. Having two remotes just for sound and volume is going to stink until I get a universal remote, I guess.

I need to copy off some break in images so that it can be doing it's thing while I'm at work.

The picture is pretty good with all of the power save junk turned off and just on the canned "Standard" mode while watching basic cable. I was expecting a whole lot worse for a base feed before I get the box hooked up. That was a pleasant surprise. I've tweaked on the Expert 1 setting just to back off on some things but still be watchable while the screen is breaking in.
post #463 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Liked: 21
Thursday LG will come to my house, grab the tv and repair it at their location. The panel will be replaced and i expect the green blob issue will be all gone. Tell me, owners of the 60PA6500, do you see any green tinge/blob issue ? Its especially noticeable in videogames like Skyrim, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption. In Skyrim when looking at the snow, and in GTA and RDR simply by looking into the sky and what not....i wonder if this tv has this fault or maybe it was just only my set.
post #464 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahthaar View Post

The giant brown truck dropped off my 50PA6500 yesterday afternoon and I got most everything hooked up last night. I still have to call the cable company and get the HD/digital box.
My components are run through a VHT215 sound bar with one HDMI between it and the tv. I suppose that has advantages and disadvantages. I only have to set up one input but everything will run on that setting unless I change between canned modes on the tv. .

Have you had the VHT215 long? How do you like it? The warehouse clubs have it for pretty cheap and my setup won't allow for rear channels (I'm renting and while there is prewired ceiling surrounds, the owner never cut the holes and put speakers in and I'm not doing the upgrade work unless I get a month of rent free out of it)

is the simulated surround decent?
post #465 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM

I hooked it up last night for the first time and haven't watched anything but non-surround programming. It sounds great for the price.

I'm not really sure how much surround effect I will get with my placement. For maximum effect it should be installed parallel with a wall so that the sound can bounce off of adjoining walls but my tv has to be mounted in the corner for now... at least until my wife decides that we need to rearrange the furniture.
post #466 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Just got past the 100 hour mark, no green blob or tinge.

I'm sure the repair will fix it.

Sounds like there was no hassle with the warranty repair. I remember when I had the Sony rear projection CRT with the infamous red shift.

Went through 3 of those before I got one that worked. Circuit City did not make it easy back then even with the extended warranty. One of the reasons they are out of business.
post #467 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB53 View Post

IMO, those Amazon settings are too yellow and pastel.

I found the settings to be too yellow and too magenta. I reset them and re-ran the Wizard II.
post #468 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

Tell me, owners of the 60PA6500, do you see any green tinge/blob issue ? Its especially noticeable in videogames like Skyrim, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption. In Skyrim when looking at the snow, and in GTA and RDR simply by looking into the sky and what not....

XBox360 or PS3? RGB? Wide Colour Gamut set? Different HDMI cables?
post #469 of 1288 Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I'm not a big gamer, but I did run a couple of games on the PS3 and the 360, and did not notice any green blobs or stripes. Of course I did play the same games Moonwalker did.

I mainly use the PS3 as a blue ray player and the 360 for Video On Demand and as a Windows Media Center extender to stream video from my PC these days.

Past 40 the reflexes start slowing down and video games aren't as fun anymore.
post #470 of 1288 Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Update... the Simplink does recognize the VHT215 but it is really not worth the bother to use it. Every time you switch the signal source (either changing input or simply swapping from tv to dtv(QAM channels)), you have to go back afterward and reselect the sound bar in the Simplink menu to make the volume adjust through the tv again. It does not automatically turn on the sound bar when the tv is powered up, either.

Simplink also causes issues with my LG blu-ray player since I have it run through the sound bar instead of directly into an HDMI port on the television. When activated via Simplink or simply powered on by it's own remote, since it is recognized via Simplink it automatically kicks the tv input to HDMI2 even though nothing is plugged in there. So far, I have not figured out a way to make the system store or recognize on it's own that it is coming through HDMI1 along with the sound bar. I suppose more menu punching to reset the input will be an every time affair unless I opt to potentially lose some sound quality from blu-ray and just go direct to HDMI2 like the tv wants.

This is my first foray into a system with this many bells and whistles so I may not have something configured exactly right but a "set it and forget it" option would be nice.

On a side note, the LG BP620 that enables SmartTV... I really can't see what all of the SmarTV fuss is about. I have not tried streaming any movies yet but social networking and other like apps are clunky and not what I expected. The interfaces are rather generic and attempting to input text via a television remote is rather tedious.
post #471 of 1288 Old 08-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Is there a way when watching 2:35 or 4:3 content to turn the black bars grey?

I've gone through all the menu settings but could not find anything, but I figured I would ask just in case it is hidden in some sort of service menu you need to punch in a code to get too that someone may have found.
post #472 of 1288 Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahthaar View Post

On a side note, the LG BP620 that enables SmartTV... I really can't see what all of the SmarTV fuss is about. I have not tried streaming any movies yet but social networking and other like apps are clunky and not what I expected. The interfaces are rather generic and attempting to input text via a television remote is rather tedious.
I am not a fan of SmartTV either. I had an LG 55LM7600 before this tv and I HATED the slow feeling the tv had when trying to browse through things (nothing I was even going to use anyway). I also despise the magic remote.
post #473 of 1288 Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittisit View Post

for the first 100 hours. The set keeps track of the hours for you. Menu-> Options - > Red button on remote.

When I use Settings>Options>Red button, it does nothing?

EDIT: I found out how to access it back on page 5. It's just Settings>Red button>Product/Service Info
post #474 of 1288 Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:

...Using my calibration disc I am using the following settings.....
Color Management all 0
I calibrated my set [60/6500] according to these settings and they did not enhance/improve PQ over the settings posted previously on this Thread. Maybe it's just my set,...but my subjective opinion is that the other settings [Tweaked Amazon settings] posted on this thread make skin tones appear much more natural.

Furthermore, the 13/8 sharpness settings are too soft, which is quite noticeable when compared to the 22/22 settings that I'm currently using.

Just my pair of copper Lincolns... .
post #475 of 1288 Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los3088 View Post

I calibrated my set [60/6500] according to these settings and they did not enhance/improve PQ over the settings posted previously on this Thread. Maybe it's just my set,...but my subjective opinion is that the other settings [Tweaked Amazon settings] posted on this thread make skin tones appear much more natural.
Furthermore, the 13/8 sharpness settings are too soft, which is quite noticeable when compared to the 22/22 settings that I'm currently using.
Just my pair of copper Lincolns... .

PQ calibration is subjective, I posted what works for me.

In my opinion the Amazon settings shifted everything too magenta and yellow. I could really see it when watching Transformers Prime on Blue Ray. Everything silver and grey shifted magenta.

When watching Dr. Who, Matt Smith looked like he was blushing all the time.

Furthermore the Amazon settings were set at 35 for sharpness, and that's far too high. Using the sharpness pattern, 22 created artificial lines and creating artificial lines does not improve PQ.

In the end to each his own. If someone finds settings posted on this site helpful great. If not, on well.
post #476 of 1288 Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Just got past the 100 hour mark, no green blob or tinge.
I'm sure the repair will fix it.
Sounds like there was no hassle with the warranty repair. I remember when I had the Sony rear projection CRT with the infamous red shift.
Went through 3 of those before I got one that worked. Circuit City did not make it easy back then even with the extended warranty. One of the reasons they are out of business.

Thanks for the reply man.

Well i'm waiting for LG to show up now. Should be today.
Quote:

Hey man,

Xbox 360 with HDMI, HDMI colour space auto or source and reference level standard(360 display options) On the tv i used the expert 1 setting with energy saver on maximum. That is what i used to clearly show the problem to the LG engineer. During the evening i also see the green stuff on any other picture mode setting. But during the day when its very very bright in my living room and i use expert 1 with maximum energy saving (or even when it's only just enabled...not nessecarily maximum) and i clearly see it. I believe the colour gamut was just default or wide, didn't make a difference here tho.

It becomes very visible in Skyrim when you are in the snow and you are on those porches, it becomes very clear there. In GTA IV simply if you look into the sky by rotating the camera, in Red Dead Redemption the same, and in Tomb Raider Underworld the sky as well, it's horrible. But i don't see it during any movies, or i'm not paying well enough attention. But in games...very noticeable.
post #477 of 1288 Old 08-02-2012, 06:35 AM

@los3088 : I agree with you regarding grnbd's settings. I also tried grnbd's settings and really screwed up my pix. Thankfully I had recorded what settings I had and was able to recover a great picture. As grnbd reported, what works for one does not always work for another. Bottom line: leave well enough alone. One of Murphy's Laws is " If it is not broken, tweak it until it is broken".
post #478 of 1288 Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Just got a new LG 60PA6500 for work as a conference room display. All the ratio options other than 16:9 and 4:3 are grayed out as are many of of the configuration options.

Is there a setting I'm missing here?
post #479 of 1288 Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwood View Post

@los3088 : I agree with you regarding grnbd's settings. I also tried grnbd's settings and really screwed up my pix. Thankfully I had recorded what settings I had and was able to recover a great picture. As grnbd reported, what works for one does not always work for another. Bottom line: leave well enough alone. One of Murphy's Laws is " If it is not broken, tweak it until it is broken".

It's also not just a matter of what one sees as good or bad. Even if we all have the same model sets it does not mean if someone posts a pro calibration that it will work for us. I assumed that once with my LED Sharp in my bedroom.

Someone posted a youtube video of his pro calibration on his Sharp LED, the same exact model I have and it looked like crap on mine. I could not believe how far off it was considering it was the exact same model.

When I used the pro calibrations posted, contrast was set so high a good chunk of the contrast pattern was clipped, and color was set so high that everyone looked like somehting out of an animated Disney Movie.
post #480 of 1288 Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkANC View Post

Just got a new LG 60PA6500 for work as a conference room display. All the ratio options other than 16:9 and 4:3 are grayed out as are many of of the configuration options.
Is there a setting I'm missing here?

Is the unit in demo mode?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page