LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was watching Hunger Games last night on my Blu Ray player and experienced on several darker scenes that the screen would suddenly look grainy looking.

What would cause this?

Is this called dithering?

Here are my current tv settings on my 60PA6500.

Power Save :off
Aspect Ratio : just scan
Picture Mode : expert 1
Contrast : 88
Brightness : 48
H sharpness : 23
V sharpness : 16
Color : 53
Tint : 0
Dynamic Contrast : off
Noise Reduction : off
Gama : medium
Black Level : low
Color Gamut : wide
Edge Enhancer : off
Color Temp : medium
Method : 2 points
Pattern : outer
Color Management all 0

Thanks in advance for your help!
Gerald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnbd View Post

I'm willing to pay a certain amount for the peace of mind that I have the best PQ possible, it's just that $500 price tag......yikes!

A good pro is worth the dough, and with the best you'll also get a really good education as part of the process.

That said, the price you quoted does run on the high side of the range that I've seen. There are lots of calibrators active here on AVS - you might want to post your location and model# in this thread and see what you come up with: http://www.avsforum.com/t/586330/isf-calibrators-where-are-you-located-please-post-here
post #633 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizen79 View Post

method 20 point ire
IRE, R, G, B
5,-5,-3,8
10, 5,0,22
15,0,-1,9
25,-2,-1,32
35,-1,-1,50
40,-3,0,32
45,-8,-1,27
50,-9,0,26
55,-6,0,23
60,-5,0,13
65,-4,0,28
70,-4,0,33
75,-8,0,38
85,-11,0,50
90,-6,0,22
95,-5,0,18
100,-6,0,15

Curious - how did you arrive at these white balance adjustments - using a meter, or eyeballing it?
post #634 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

A good pro is worth the dough, and with the best you'll also get a really good education as part of the process.
That said, the price you quoted does run on the high side of the range that I've seen. There are lots of calibrators active here on AVS - you might want to post your location and model# in this thread and see what you come up with: http://www.avsforum.com/t/586330/isf-calibrators-where-are-you-located-please-post-here

Cool thanks
post #635 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Sanders View Post

Code:
Sony Blu Ray is hooked up to the HK receiver for audio with toslink and HDMI out to LG 60PA6550 (HK is older with no HDMI). That's not the problem though. The issue occurs when an input has been playing and I have the HK set to Video 4, which is the input for the toslink optical coming from the LG. As soon as the LG Screensaver comes up, the LG sends the super loud frequency sound out to the HK via optical. I'd really appreciate someone trying to replicate this situation so I can put this to rest.

My set makes no audible noise when TOSLINK'ed to my sound bar after the screensaver comes on.

BTW... you don't need the blu-ray toslink'ed to the HK and the LG. If you are running the HK on Video 4, the toslink from the blu-ray is doing nothing. It is getting the pass thru audio from the LG.
post #636 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM

What are people's thoughts on getting a calibration disc? Is it really necessary to achieve the best picture? There is one at HH Gregg that the TV guy told me gets rave reviews, and I want to get the most out of my new TV.
post #637 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM

post #638 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Curious - how did you arrive at these white balance adjustments - using a meter, or eyeballing it?
Neither took it from the PZ750 forum-assumed lg was using the same panel with minor tweaks.Worked for me biggrin.gif
post #639 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicnerd83 View Post

What are people's thoughts on getting a calibration disc? Is it really necessary to achieve the best picture? There is one at HH Gregg that the TV guy told me gets rave reviews, and I want to get the most out of my new TV.

Calibration discs are a great help in accurately making the basic settings: aspect ratio, contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness. They also have many patterns you can use to evaluate (but not necessarily adjust) other aspects of your display's performance. If you have a blu-ray player, you can download and burn the free AVS-HD709 disc from the display calibration forum here on AVS. Link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. The download is available in HDMV format if you have a blu-ray burner, AVCHD which you burn to a DVD and through some magic that I don't understand - play it in a bluray player, or as MP4 files you can play from a thumb drive or NAS (or DVD player, I guess). All the instructions are in the first post of the linked thread. Just don't forget to download the patterns manual too.

I've got AVS-HD709 and Disney WOW. I actually prefer the free AVS disc. The patterns are excellent. The WOW disc has some audio tools that the AVS disc does not, as well as a lot of demo material to evaluate the picture. I'm not familiar with the Monster calibration disc, so can't really comment on it.
post #640 of 1288 Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Neither took it from the PZ750 forum-assumed lg was using the same panel with minor tweaks.Worked for me biggrin.gif

Well, FYI I guess - you should know that sharing settings white balance or CMS settings between sets of the same year/model has about a zero chance of being accurate, and sharing between different years/different models has a less than zero chance.wink.gif

And the reason I asked at all was because those settings look... odd to me, based on my experience. (which is pretty limited, I'll grant you that).
post #641 of 1288 Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Well, FYI I guess - you should know that sharing settings white balance or CMS settings between sets of the same year/model has about a zero chance of being accurate, and sharing between different years/different models has a less than zero chance.wink.gif
And the reason I asked at all was because those settings look... odd to me, based on my experience. (which is pretty limited, I'll grant you that).
noted:p
post #642 of 1288 Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahthaar View Post

My set makes no audible noise when TOSLINK'ed to my sound bar after the screensaver comes on.
BTW... you don't need the blu-ray toslink'ed to the HK and the LG. If you are running the HK on Video 4, the toslink from the blu-ray is doing nothing. It is getting the pass thru audio from the LG.

Thanks for checking that out. Also, the Blu Ray isn't toslinked to both. Only to the receiver for audio. The HDMI carries the picture (and sound if I don't want to turn the receiver on) to the LG. The toslink from the LG to the receiver is just for watching cable. Remember, this set, like most sets, downgrades audio from sources other than the tuner to 2 channel, so you'd lose 5.1 by passing through the LG to the HK.
pittisit likes this.
post #643 of 1288 Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Any settings u would recommend will be highly appreciated.Tried the ones mentioned earlier in the forum......looked strange for me.Overall the pic had a yellowish-brownish tinge for me.Thanx in advance:)
post #644 of 1288 Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Any settings u would recommend will be highly appreciated.Tried the ones mentioned earlier in the forum......looked strange for me.Overall the pic had a yellowish-brownish tinge for me.Thanx in advance:)
post #645 of 1288 Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM

Liked: 11
Hello... I am new to this forum but have been following this tread for a couple of days now and I like others am trying to get the most out of my plasma.

Ive gone through a few different settings including the amazon's which have the same results as others and also tried some of the suggestions from members on here. So far I am pretty happy with the display, at times i'm satisfied with the images and at other times I know they can be improved and my colors/settings are just off.

So the question is has anybody had this set ISF calibrated yet and also any recommendations for quality calibrators in the Alpharetta GA area.

Thanks in advance
post #646 of 1288 Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can't really make recommendations for this set. I have the PM9700. I'm reading here because the PM9700 thread is dead - no activity at all. frown.gif

I will be doing a full calibration on the PM9700 once it is sufficiently broken in. But as I noted above, this won't be of much use to you.

There is certainly no harm in trying out white balance / CMS settings from other sets. You might get lucky, just don't be surprised if you don't like the result. Also know that you are not seeing the same thing as you would with the same settings on the set the calibration was performed on. The reason these settings exist is because all sets are different.

post #647 of 1288 Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Can't really make recommendations for this set. I have the PM9700. I'm reading here because the PM9700 thread is dead - no activity at all. frown.gif
I will be doing a full calibration on the PM9700 once it is sufficiently broken in. But as I noted above, this won't be of much use to you.
There is certainly no harm in trying out white balance / CMS settings from other sets. You might get lucky, just don't be surprised if you don't like the result. Also know that you are not seeing the same thing as you would with the same settings on the set the calibration was performed on. The reason these settings exist is because all sets are different.
thanx anyway
post #648 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
you can find this disc on ********** and the reviews of it from the pros say its worthless. stick with the recommendations here, not at the store.
post #649 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghice View Post

I was watching Hunger Games last night on my Blu Ray player and experienced on several darker scenes that the screen would suddenly look grainy looking.

Did you see the movie in the theatre?, preferably a Digital Projector. If not, it may be in the source material. Overly dark scenes in movies, in the theatre, will look grainy. If they look grainy in the theatre then they will look grainy at home. Pause the movie at that scene and play with brightness, contrast and sharpness (especially sharpness.) You should be able to come up with a setting that's acceptable. Secondly, once it's set, learn to over look it. Thirdly, even though we have set the settings they will usually need some slight tweaking depending on the studio, so if you see too much grain try turning down the brightness, for example. You'll quickly find the crush level to avoid.
post #650 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicnerd83 View Post

What are people's thoughts on getting a calibration disc?

It'll get you close but you may still have to tweak it. For example, if the calibration disc is THX video certified and you insert a non THX movie into your BD player then the settings will likely be off and you will need to tweak a point or two in either direction. Me, I'm finding myself using my Cinema settings for watching certain OTA channels or programmes. It's easy enough to tell when a News show has the anchor people's fore heads in too much sharpness.
post #651 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Liked: 11
Nobody has had this set pro calibrated yet?? Id love to hear the results and its worth
post #652 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I'm reading here because the PM9700 thread is dead - no activity at all.

We're the guys who didn't want to spend an extra $1000 for the matte screen PM9700. But the PM9700 owners won't feel as cheated as those that paid $3000 for their Sammys and Panis when 4k sets start showing up for the 2012 Christmas season.
post #653 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Also, there are varying opinions about the difference made with one HDMI cable to another. I had a pretty old cheap one, and I got a new one for this TV because I suspect that my old one isn't high speed or fast enough at processing the images of a 600hz plasma. So do any of you think there is really a difference between cheap and higher end cables? Between the two, I can't especially tell much. The sound might be more robust, but I am not sure about the picture.
post #654 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Hey all, I've had my 60PA6500 for several months now and have noticed a sync issue with the audio for the whole time and I'm finally ready to tackle it. Speech is about 1/2 second delayed from the mouth movement regardless of what input (digital cable over coax, Uverse over HDMI, HTPC over HDMI) nor does it matter the audio output. I had the optical going into a Yamaha receiver and now my new Sony Soundbar, both have the issue as well as just using the built-in speakers. My uneducated guess is that some video filtering is going on and delaying it without accommodating for the audio. Do you guys have any ideas on where to start? I'd start with components, but all of them have the issue!

Appreciate any assistance. Love this set, it's a huge value and looks fantastic.
post #655 of 1288 Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

We're the guys who didn't want to spend an extra $1000 for the matte screen PM9700. But the PM9700 owners won't feel as cheated as those that paid $3000 for their Sammys and Panis when 4k sets start showing up for the 2012 Christmas season.

Me too. smile.gif I rolled the dice and bought the 50PM9700 from amazon warehouse deals for $797. The description said it was returned for "minor cosmetic damage". I called LG to get verification that the set would still be covered by LG warranty (it is), so I ordered it. I can't find a mark on it anywhere. First thing I did when I powered it up was check the hours used - and it was at "0" - I don't think the original purchaser even turned it on. I sold the LCD that this set replaced for $350, so I'm into this set for about $450. biggrin.gif

Anyways, the matte screen makes all the difference in my viewing environment. So far, I'm pretty pleased with it...
post #656 of 1288 Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

Did you see the movie in the theatre?, preferably a Digital Projector. If not, it may be in the source material. Overly dark scenes in movies, in the theatre, will look grainy. If they look grainy in the theatre then they will look grainy at home. Pause the movie at that scene and play with brightness, contrast and sharpness (especially sharpness.) You should be able to come up with a setting that's acceptable. Secondly, once it's set, learn to over look it. Thirdly, even though we have set the settings they will usually need some slight tweaking depending on the studio, so if you see too much grain try turning down the brightness, for example. You'll quickly find the crush level to avoid.

Thanks for this valuable info Wallijonn.

I did not see this movie at the theater so not sure how it was filmed.

Again great information to know.

Gerald
post #657 of 1288 Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Liked: 19
I recently purchased the LG 60PA6550 from Costco. You can see my calibrated report below. This is tested with a i1 Display LT meter using HCFR. 15% pattern.

LG 65PA6550 Calibration Report.png 679k .png file

isf Expert 1

Contrast: 95
Brightness: 50
H Sharp: 9
V Sharp: 8
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off
.... 20 pt IRE ... [ I won't share this. Every TV is different and my values won't work for you ]
... CMS .... [ I might add this later ]

Thoughts: This TV has tons of calibration controls. As you can see from my report, you can get a fairly accurate gamma and colors with the proper calibration. The only catch is the 100% sat with Blue. It's slightly off, but doesn't seem to affect picture too much. The only things I don't like too much about this TV is the input lag (2 - 3 frames), average black level, and lack of AR filter. However, given how accurate this TV can be, I may be able to overlook some of these deficiencies.
Attached Images
File Type: png LG 65PA6550 Calibration Report.png (679.0 KB, 30 views)
juanej likes this.
post #658 of 1288 Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 AM

can u give us the settings please? because i don't understand the graphs...
post #659 of 1288 Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Those of you who own this TV and do gaming, I had some questions for you...

I don't know much about plasmas in general (or any new TV tech really) but I do remember in the past that burn-in was a problem with plasma TV's. Is that something that a gamer would still have to be concerned about with this?

Additionally, does this game have any noticeable input lag on it? I am extremely sensitive to this as I play competitive fighting games, and I actually went out and bought a separate 23" monitor to game on that is virtually lagless, because my DLP has a TON of lag (2004 Samsung DLP, so older tech too).

Thanks.
post #660 of 1288 Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stams83 View Post

can u give us the settings please? because i don't understand the graphs...

I'll add the CMS settings later today when I get a chance to write down the settings. It's really pointless for me to share the 20pt IRE settings. These are very minute adjustments and they will surely be different for each TV. If anything, it'll make your display worse.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pa6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page