LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1288 Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked my 50" up today. Two hours in with the slides, I hope there's less buzz when watching actual content.

KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1288 Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knassar View Post

I've been playing battlefield 3 since I got this tv which has all sorts of static images and have yet to see any type of ir... I think this set does a really good job at this especially compared to my older samsung plasma that held images for ever before they washed out.
As far as the lag goes I agree im sure the lag is there but ive yet to have it effect any of my game play, but will pay a little more attention to it while playing some fighters.

I don't have any fighters, and I know that they're the one series of games that input lag will generate complaints on. Once you've tried them out extensively, I'd like to hear your experience on the LG. Btw, are you play BF3 on the 50" or 60" 6500?
post #723 of 1288 Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk1 View Post

Picked my 50" up today. Two hours in with the slides, I hope there's less buzz when watching actual content.

How loud is this "buzzing"? My 60PA6550 is virtually dead silent when pic is up and mute is on. Mine is on a stand with a swivel mount that has it about 4-5 inches from the wall behind it. If yours is wall mounted, that might be amplifying any noise generated by the set, but mine is extremely quiet even right up on the set.
post #724 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Sanders View Post

How loud is this "buzzing"? My 60PA6550 is virtually dead silent when pic is up and mute is on. Mine is on a stand with a swivel mount that has it about 4-5 inches from the wall behind it. If yours is wall mounted, that might be amplifying any noise generated by the set, but mine is extremely quiet even right up on the set.

Well, it's about 9 feet away on it's stand on the floor and a few feet from the wall. I have a stand for it and it'll be mounted about 2.5-3 ft. off the ground once the slides are done.
I just turned on my other tv and with sound on, it's less noticeable. Maybe cause it's on vivid, with 100% contrast while running the slides, it's louder.
What setting should black level be on while doing the slides, I have it on high? Would the pixel orbiter be off by default? I'm thinking you'd want it off while running the slides.

Thanks

KEN
post #725 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't have any fighters, and I know that they're the one series of games that input lag will generate complaints on. Once you've tried them out extensively, I'd like to hear your experience on the LG. Btw, are you play BF3 on the 50" or 60" 6500?

Will do... I'm playing on the 60''
post #726 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:

+1 Mine is dead silent even with my ear right up against it & mine is mounted against the wall. I always hear of people commenting on buzzing noises from plasmas but so far i guess i've been lucky on both my samsung and LG.
post #727 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:

+1 Mine is dead silent even with my ear right up against it & mine is mounted against the wall. I always hear of people commenting on buzzing noises from plasmas but so far i guess i've been lucky on both my samsung and LG.

Hey Knassar, did you run slides and was it dead quiet while running them?

KEN
post #728 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

No buzzing at all for me as well, dead silence.

Of course working in IT and sometime spending long hours in a server room I've become desensitized to humming and buzzing coming from electronics.

Some people complain about how loud the fans are from a PS3 or an XBox, and I just don't notice it.

Part of the reason I got the LG was because of the posts about buzzing, and the mysterious cracking glass on the Samsung's. Samsung was on my shortlist as a possible purchase, but the ammount of posts I saw about both scared me away from Samsung.
post #729 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Hey Knassar, did you run slides and was it dead quiet while running them?

I sure did, flip flip flip flip flip flip flip...I think my dogs almost became zombies, but no buzzing

I feel like if its a pretty audible buzzing i would be concerned, maybe play with the setting and see if it makes a difference.
post #730 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortellino View Post

"SmartShare" biggrin.gif
Are you satisfied with the player? Do you recommend it to me?
Thanks

I have not looked at Smart Share capability on the unit so I can not speak to that aspect.

I have no complaints about the function or picture from the player itself, though. The whole "smart tv" thing is greatly overrated from what I have seen for anything other than streaming movies from internet sources.
post #731 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnbd View Post

No buzzing at all for me as well, dead silence.

+3, even when running the slides.

I didn't run them in vivid mode, however. What is recommended on here is to run muted settings for break in.
post #732 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM

+4, agree with Drahthaar. No buzzing at all.Mine shows 62hours still on slides with low contrast(71%) and brightness(50%)
post #733 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk 
Maybe cause it's on vivid, with 100% contrast while running the slides, it's louder.

Why are you running slides in Vivid with 100% contrast??? Are you trying to make IR burn in? Let me guess - this is your first plasma and you're used to LCDs.

Either turn down the contrast and brightness or just use the regular settings of 92 contrast, 50 brightness, 10 sharpness, medium colour, Orbiter on, all others off.
post #734 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I just turned on my other tv and with sound on, it's less noticeable. Maybe cause it's on vivid, with 100% contrast while running the slides, it's louder.

The more you brighten the image and display mode, the mode likely you are to get buzzing. I would set the TV into a normal display mode (not on Vivid) with contrast around 90 and brightness around 50. Watch some actual video content. If it buzzes then, you might have a problem.
post #735 of 1288 Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM

I bought the 6550 from sams and it doesn't come with the disc that others mentioned. I noticed that the set already has the 03.01.06 firmware. Would that be the reason that the disc isn't included? I called LG and asked if there is any need for the disc and they indicated there wasn't and no need for a break-in period either.

Any thoughts? Are the more recent sales different or the 6550 model from costco or sams already callibrated as opposed to the 6500? LG support indicated on the phone that the 6550 at Sams is ready to go as is.

This is driving me nuts after reading all this information on the assumed identical 6500.eek.gif
post #736 of 1288 Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

Why are you running slides in Vivid with 100% contrast??? Are you trying to make IR burn in? Let me guess - this is your first plasma and you're used to LCDs.
Either turn down the contrast and brightness or just use the regular settings of 92 contrast, 50 brightness, 10 sharpness, medium colour, Orbiter on, all others off.

Well, it is my first plasma, but I'm coming from a CRT.
I found those settings in a post in this thread.

"Run your Slideshow on slow speed and the best one out there was posted on a Panasonic forum a while back with 120 full screen 1080p slides of all colors. The more of your initial viewing that you can allocate to slides, the better. It provides a completely even aging of the phosphors. Per D-Nice's advice, setting the photo video setting to Vivid with contrast @ 100, brightness at 55, color at 65, sharpness at 25, tint at 0, and energy saving off. ONLY use these settings for slides, not for normal viewing of any other type of content."

I will take it off vivid then, and turn down the contrast and brightness. Okay, changed to Standard with 90 contrast, 50 brightness, 10 sharpness, and medium colour. Buzzing seems about the same, I'm not going to watch anything till 100 hours are up. I'll have to skim through the manual to find where to turn the orbiter on. I think part of the noise is because it's on the floor which is laminate. Once I mount it on the stand it shouldn't transfer the buzz as much, hoping anyway. o-O

Thanks you guys for the advice to turn down the settings.

Ken

KEN
post #737 of 1288 Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM

kkeidl,

I found the disc to be basically useless. iirc the disc is just a soft copy of the included manual. Could someone else verify?
post #738 of 1288 Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:

I think part of the noise is because it's on the floor which is laminate.

Hopefully that will be the problem. On my 60PA6500 I don't here any buzzing unless I'm closer than 2 feet, typically about 8" - 12" away (and usually only when I'm checking the black bars for dithering).
post #739 of 1288 Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I tried to get some help with this in the PM9700 thread, but its dead over there, I got no takers. Maybe you all can help me out smile.gif

I've got my 50PM9700 in an entertainment center. There's less than an inch of clearance on each side of the tv. I'm a bit concerned about the set running too hot.

The Host Diagnostics screen shows the "module temperature". Mine is running at 46 degrees C when it's fully warmed up. I'm wondering if those of you that have the tv set up with proper clearance for ventilation/air flow could check your temperature and report back.

To display the Host Diagnostics screen (must be done with an "old fashioned" remote, not the magic motion):

- press menu
- arrow down so that the "option" toolbox is highlighted on the left column
- press 1,1,1,1,1 on the remote to display host diagnostics
- press enter to exit the host diagnostics screen

The host diagnostics screen is informational display only. You can't do anything in here to brick your tv.
post #740 of 1288 Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM

I am receiving mine on Tuesday. What should I know? What should my settings be during the first 100 hours? etc
post #741 of 1288 Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CvGZ View Post

I am receiving mine on Tuesday. What should I know? What should my settings be during the first 100 hours? etc

Not to be rude, but read thru the thread...then if you have more specific questions, ask. There are several recommended break-in settiings throughout the thread.
post #742 of 1288 Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo55 View Post

Just a heads up ... the 50PA6500 is onsale for $650 @ Dell , Crutchfeld , PaulsTV and Tiger Direct . Seems to be the lowest going price atm .
This price is seriously making me think about a purchase .

Well , I finally broked down and bought a 50PA6500 (even though Iam kinda a Samsung plasma guy) .

The price was too good and I had other incentives from Dell to help lower the price even further .
Ive spent hours and hours reading here at AVS on all the usual brands in the 1k-$800 price range , Panasonic/Samsung/LG noting flaws or problems on each . LG seems the least problematic, and has the most features and good pq tweaking , which really made a good selling point . Maybe my only regret was not being able to possibly grab a PM6700 to finally try out 3D , but Dell did not offer it . What's sad is its so hard to make a decision these days just to try to go out a look at displays these days (specially plasma) , as most stores just do not have the show-rooms and demos displays out like they used to (which was easy to do just a couple of yrs ago) ; and must now rely on word of mouth more than a visual inspection .

I wont get my tv for about week , so I'll be reading this thread for more helpful comments about settings/tweaks and such till it arrives . wink.gif

I miss my old Altec 1590 monoblocks ....
post #743 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Well, it is my first plasma, but I'm coming from a CRT.
I found those settings in a post in this thread.
"Run your Slideshow on slow speed and the best one out there was posted on a Panasonic forum a while back with 120 full screen 1080p slides of all colors. The more of your initial viewing that you can allocate to slides, the better. It provides a completely even aging of the phosphors. Per D-Nice's advice, setting the photo video setting to Vivid with contrast @ 100, brightness at 55, color at 65, sharpness at 25, tint at 0, and energy saving off. ONLY use these settings for slides, not for normal viewing of any other type of content."
I will take it off vivid then, and turn down the contrast and brightness. Okay, changed to Standard with 90 contrast, 50 brightness, 10 sharpness, and medium colour. Buzzing seems about the same, I'm not going to watch anything till 100 hours are up. I'll have to skim through the manual to find where to turn the orbiter on. I think part of the noise is because it's on the floor which is laminate. Once I mount it on the stand it shouldn't transfer the buzz as much, hoping anyway. o-O
Thanks you guys for the advice to turn down the settings.
Ken

Ken, go back to the "Vivid" settings quoted in your post. Wallijonn needs to do his homework on breaking these sets in. D-Nice, the originator of the break-in slide process, always recommends a vivid setting with 100% contrast, as this gets the phosphors as bright as possible, hence speeding up the residual aging process. The more aged the phospors, the less "excitable" they are, and thus the less chance for retention of an image. As mentioned previously, BE SURE to only use the settings you quoted for slides, NOT for normal television viewing. I broke in both my 3 year old Panasonic and this 60PA6550 using the vivid settings, and burn in has not been an issue for me on either set.
post #744 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I wish they'd make a 65" version of this TV. I've got a 65" Mitsubishi DLP and I'd really like a plasma for a decent price but I don't want to go smaller. 65" plasmas are freaking expensive.
post #745 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:

Ken, go back to the "Vivid" settings quoted in your post. Wallijonn needs to do his homework on breaking these sets in. D-Nice, the originator of the break-in slide process, always recommends a vivid setting with 100% contrast, as this gets the phosphors as bright as possible, hence speeding up the residual aging process. The more aged the phospors, the less "excitable" they are, and thus the less chance for retention of an image. As mentioned previously, BE SURE to only use the settings you quoted for slides, NOT for normal television viewing. I broke in both my 3 year old Panasonic and this 60PA6550 using the vivid settings, and burn in has not been an issue for me on either set.

Okay, I thought D-nice was a god around these hd forums. I can't see getting IR while running slides as they change every 9 or 10 seconds.
Back to vivid it is Bryan.

KEN
post #746 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bryan 
... I broke in both my 3 year old Panasonic and this 60PA6550 using the vivid settings, and burn in has not been an issue for me on either set.

I burned in my last 42" Pani plasma correctly and it ended up with severe IR and because of the black crush I had to keep decreasing brightness as it aged. >500 hours in on the LG and I see no IR. That was not the case with the Pani. I was all set to live with IR on the LG - it happened before, on the Pani, but at least this time around I didn't pay $1500, so if it burned in at least I wasn't losing as much money in the process.

As to burning it in Vivid mode, I question having the brightness at 55 since >50 causes dithering. On my old Pani I turned up the brightness until it, the power supply, started to sing/buzz then backed off one click. On the LG I turned up the brightness until there was dithering, then backed off one click. Was the number 55 specifically cited for the LG, or was it for a Pani or Sammy or Sharp?
post #747 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

65" plasmas are freaking expensive.

While at Fry Electronics I laughed when I saw the price on a 65" Sammy versus a 64" Sammy - $1000 more for 1" inch. And I also laughed when I saw a Sony 55" LCD going for $3500. So your best bet may be to find a 2011 64" Sammy for about $1500. I doubt you'll be able to afford the 4K sets. I know I won't - for about 3 years.
post #748 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

kkeidl,
I found the disc to be basically useless. iirc the disc is just a soft copy of the included manual. Could someone else verify?

This is correct.
post #749 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM

Is it possible to change video settings through USB playback? I've got my TV settings (HDMI) calibrated using ISF, but when I try to change video settings while watching a movie through USB, it only gives me Standard, Vivid and Movie.

Also, has anyone been able to successfully update their firmware? I've tried to create a LG_DTV folder, and put the firmware inside, but the TV won't find the firmware.

Thanks
post #750 of 1288 Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

While at Fry Electronics I laughed when I saw the price on a 65" Sammy versus a 64" Sammy - $1000 more for 1" inch. And I also laughed when I saw a Sony 55" LCD going for $3500. So your best bet may be to find a 2011 64" Sammy for about $1500. I doubt you'll be able to afford the 4K sets. I know I won't - for about 3 years.
Thanks, I'll keep a look out on the 2011 Samsungs.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pa6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page