Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1288 Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroman View Post

My 60" is on a nice TV stand I purchased for it but because it's so large, I want to "tether" it to the wall behind it (not mount it but attach it so I don't have to worry about it tipping over, etc.) and the only thing on the back I can use are the 4 bolt holes that could be used for adding a Mounting Bracket.

I looked at the straps mentioned but didn't like that they(straps) only protect from falling forward.

Here's what I just received today and won't have the time to install till this weekend. Amazon reviewers mention that the holes don't quite match to my 50PA6500's VESA400x400 holes but that a reaming out with a slightly larger drill bit works fine. It's that close.

Safety 1st p/n 48469 <- Google Search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1288 Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Hello everyone
I just got my 50PA6500 and so far I am loving this TV. I frequently read that it is recommended to only watch full screen material during break in time. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to activate the zoom function when playing movies through the USB port. Is that not possible which means that I can only watch material through HDMI?
post #813 of 1288 Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroman View Post

I'm also wondering if it's really worth it to get the World of Wonder Blu-Ray. I can't find it to rent anywhere (Redbox, Blockbuster, etc.) and am really wondering if it's worth it. I do have some old DVD's for calibration from like a decade ago (Video Essentials) that I used in the past to configure my old projection TV's and I'm wondering if I should use those with my Blu Ray to configure my Plasma or if there really is a large benefit with the new technology to use the World of Wonder Blu-Ray.
Thanks in advance. Also any other suggestions on my new Plasma are greatly appreciated.

I purchased the Disney WOW Blu-Ray Disk a couple of weeks ago to calibrate my 60" lg6500 and it did a wonderful job.

The picture wizard on the TV had the TV settings pretty close to the WOW disk settings but the difference to me was pretty amazing in how the TVs picture was improved.

I highly recommend it.

Gerald
post #814 of 1288 Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghice View Post

I highly recommend it.

Being impressed with Disney's WOW Blu-Ray, I'd have to second that recommendation.
post #815 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 AM

ghice: Will you be so kind to paste here the settings you obtained using the WOW disney dvd?

thanks
post #816 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyAwesome View Post

Hello everyone
I just got my 50PA6500 and so far I am loving this TV. I frequently read that it is recommended to only watch full screen material during break in time. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to activate the zoom function when playing movies through the USB port. Is that not possible which means that I can only watch material through HDMI?

Is there nobody who can help me?
post #817 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM

Can anybody on this forum confirm or deny whether or not the 60" version of this TV will fit in the back of a 2012 Honda Odyssey (with the seats folded flat) still in the box? Thanks!
post #818 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM

I am about 92 hours into my break in period. Afterwards I'd like to watch The Artist on blu ray but due to its aspect ratio I fear the pillar boxes. None of the aspect zooms or formats reduce them, 4:3 adds grey bars but the original black bars are nested within. Would it be fine to watch the film, if so how?
post #819 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CvGZ View Post

I am about 92 hours into my break in period. Afterwards I'd like to watch The Artist on blu ray but due to its aspect ratio I fear the pillar boxes. None of the aspect zooms or formats reduce them, 4:3 adds grey bars but the original black bars are nested within. Would it be fine to watch the film, if so how?

Just watch the movie normally, run the Color Wash for two minutes when you are done.

Also note that in this fairly long thread, no one has had a serious complaint about IR.
post #820 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilChad View Post

Can anybody on this forum confirm or deny whether or not the 60" version of this TV will fit in the back of a 2012 Honda Odyssey (with the seats folded flat) still in the box? Thanks!

Measure it, it should fit fine. The box is 60.8" x 37.4" x 11.2"
post #821 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM

I did break in for 100 hours. I've been watching everything with letterbox or side bars. NO IMAGE RETENTION AT ALL. As I've said before, I couldn't be happier with this TV. After I've spent a month with plasma, it's interesting to see LCD sets that other family members own. While they're very bright, anything that has black in it is all black. You can see shades of gray. A good test is "Through the Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman. It's a science program with some high production values. Morgan's part is on a black and white stage with very strong key lighting on the right side of his face with the rest being almost entirely in shadow. I can see details in his clothing in the shadows. In LCD sets you can't. The plasma TV does everything it's supposed to.
post #822 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyAwesome View Post

Is there nobody who can help me?

I don´t think there is a way to eliminate the bars in the multimedia player with certain movies. I think it depends the way it was encoded.

For example i watched Transformers Dark of the Moon, threw the PS3 Media Player, and i could eliminate the bars, BUT only ( perfectly ) with the embedded function of the PS3.

I tried later watch it threw the multimedia player of this TV, and i couldnt eliminate the bars, because i didn´t have the options to do it ( only ORIGINAL and ZOOM ) but it wasnt enough...

It´s kind of annoying, because it prevents me to watch a lot of movies, due to the black bars.

Another thing:

When i press the red button, in the settings Menu, i can only see the model, the firmware and the LG Support Number, there is no information regarding the usage hours of the TV..am i missing something ?
post #823 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Hey guys. I have a Samsung HLT5687s and the DLP Chip is going on it and I was thinking of getting a new set rather than fixing it and this set popped out at me because of it's size and price point. I swore after my last LG tv purchase that I would never buy another LG product again due to their horrible customer service, but the tv just jumped at me. I went into my local BB and I was very disappointed. Granted, they were running coax, but more than that, there was a severe case of either IR or Burn in along the top of the screen. I asked the guy about it and he blamed the coax source which immediately told me the guy was a moron. I'm hesitant on going back to Plasma as I HATE IR and Burn In issues. I don't care for the idea of having to be scared of what I watch or play in fear of ruining the tv. I'd like some input from some of you guys. I have read most of the 28 pages and I understand that the reviews are mostly positive, but I guess I'm just hoping someone can shed some light on the IR issue.
post #824 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinsane82 View Post

Hey guys. I have a Samsung HLT5687s and the DLP Chip is going on it and I was thinking of getting a new set rather than fixing it and this set popped out at me because of it's size and price point. I swore after my last LG tv purchase that I would never buy another LG product again due to their horrible customer service, but the tv just jumped at me. I went into my local BB and I was very disappointed. Granted, they were running coax, but more than that, there was a severe case of either IR or Burn in along the top of the screen. I asked the guy about it and he blamed the coax source which immediately told me the guy was a moron. I'm hesitant on going back to Plasma as I HATE IR and Burn In issues. I don't care for the idea of having to be scared of what I watch or play in fear of ruining the tv. I'd like some input from some of you guys. I have read most of the 28 pages and I understand that the reviews are mostly positive, but I guess I'm just hoping someone can shed some light on the IR issue.

You will find that most people on this site followed the standard rule of 100 too 200 hours of slides or full screen content before watching anything 2:35 or 4:3, broadcast TV with logos or sports. Some will say 300 hours.

Considering at places like BB the TV runs in vivid with solid logos for over 8 hours a day 7 days a week bad IR or burn in will happen. But what BB puts those displays through is extreme.

Vary your viewing content and keep the orbiter on when watching anything with logos, 2:35, or 4:3 and you will be fine.

Some other rules I follow is I don't pause DVDs or Blue Ray discs, after watching content that is 2:35 or 4:3 I will run color wash for 60 seconds. Also if I'm watching and I start feeling a little tired I will turn on the sleep timer too make sure I don't doze off with the TV on a static image for any length of time.

I have always found that the superior picture of plasma far outweigh what some may see as an inconvenience following these rules.

This is my second plasma and I have never had an issue with IR or burn in following these rules.
post #825 of 1288 Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 AM

Thanks for your response. I've heard about these slides that you guys use for break in. Where would I find them?
post #826 of 1288 Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post

Being impressed with Disney's WOW Blu-Ray, I'd have to second that recommendation.

thinking i need to get off my arse and run the rest of the wow disc then. my settings from the wizard II are starting to look a little off. the reds and blues are starting to look, for lack of better words, over saturated.

but, still LOVING this tv
post #827 of 1288 Old 09-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your response. I've heard about these slides that you guys use for break in. Where would I find them?

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/files/BreakIn_Images.zip
post #828 of 1288 Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Hello,
I've just bought a 50PA5500, which should be almost identical to the 50PA6500.

I would like to know if also your plasmas make a buzzing sound. I can hear it even from a distance of 2-3m, when there is no audio. I can also hear it while watching a film, during silent scenes. The buzzing is louder when there is a white image. It's almost identical to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zD6zWPY2xA perhaps just a bit less loud.

Is it normal? Can I bring it back?

Thanks.
post #829 of 1288 Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcor2012 View Post

Hello,
I would like to know if also your plasmas make a buzzing sound. I can hear it even from a distance of 2-3m, when there is no audio. I can also hear it while watching a film, during silent scenes. The buzzing is louder when there is a white image. It's almost identical to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zD6zWPY2xA perhaps just a bit less loud.
Thanks.

My 60PA6550 from Costco seems to be completely dead quiet regardless of light or dark scenes, but it's in the same room as my 50 gallon aquarium that generates some ambient noise, which prevented me from hearing the cooling fans on my Panasonic 50" plasma that used to be in the same place. As for exchanging it, it all depends on where you bought it, but most anywhere should at least exchange it within the first 30 days. If past, contact LG, as they can address the situation under the set's warranty.
post #830 of 1288 Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Hello,
Thanks.

Mine is dead quite in any situation.

I would exchange it.
post #831 of 1288 Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM

Now this is interesting: the TV was on the floor, near a wall. Now I've put it in my dining room on a cabinet and I can't hear almost anything. I can hear the buzzing only at a very short distance from the tv biggrin.gif
post #832 of 1288 Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM

I guess it depends on what you can tolerate. Mine was noisy on the floor in a corner during the slide prep.
Now that it's set up on a stand, it's not bad. With any volume, it's pretty much a non-issue.

KEN
post #833 of 1288 Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I HATE IR and Burn In issues.

Don't take a chance - get an LED set instead.

The LG manual says not to watch static images for more than an hour. For me it isn't a problem because every break I change over to TV when watching BDs/DVDs (paused) or I turn on the Colour Wash.
post #834 of 1288 Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

... 50PA5500 ... a buzzing sound. I can hear it even from a distance of 2-3m, when there is no audio. I can also hear it while watching a film, during silent scenes. The buzzing is louder when there is a white image.

Turn down the brightness until the buzzing stops. That's your max Brightness. On the 60PA6500 it has to be 50 or under, usually 48 or 49.
post #835 of 1288 Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Well sorry for the potty mouth.. Smile now.

Thanks to all on the packing issue. Mine was probably packed right, I just suspect it was re quick return or something. I have not checked the hours yet but will. THanks again

On another note. On the brief viewing, I noted what appeared to be what is referred to as a "burnt pixel" up in the left quadrant of the screen. I was during just one commercial. But I have not seen it again. It stayed on the screen through several images and lasted about 10 seconds total. Anyone know if I should be concerned.?

I also note what appear to be random "sparkles" or white specs through different viewings no matter what. Anyone ever seen this or know the technical name for what it may be?
post #836 of 1288 Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc3 View Post

Well sorry for the potty mouth.. Smile now.
Thanks to all on the packing issue. Mine was probably packed right, I just suspect it was re quick return or something. I have not checked the hours yet but will. THanks again
On another note. On the brief viewing, I noted what appeared to be what is referred to as a "burnt pixel" up in the left quadrant of the screen. I was during just one commercial. But I have not seen it again. It stayed on the screen through several images and lasted about 10 seconds total. Anyone know if I should be concerned.?
I also note what appear to be random "sparkles" or white specs through different viewings no matter what. Anyone ever seen this or know the technical name for what it may be?

The only time I've seen the white sparkles you refer to is when the sharpness was up too high. Any set produces this effect, as it's actually implementing things into the picture that wasn't in the source material.

As for the burnt pixel, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I've got two dead pixels on my 2009 Panasonic S and two on this 60PA6500. I should note that they are ONLY visible on full screen slides combined with standing within 3 feet of the set. I personally could care less about this. We should be a lot more concerned about the thousands of "pixels" that gen X is tattooing all over their bodies - lol.
post #837 of 1288 Old 09-18-2012, 05:42 AM

@ Bryan: :We should be a lot more concerned about the thousands of "pixels" that gen X is tattooing all over their bodies - lol. AMEN to that! Brett Lawrie who plays 3rd base for the Toronto Blue Jays has garbage all over both arms top to bottom.
post #838 of 1288 Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
To bad lawrIe went with the branded cattle look,because he's a good player too watch that hustles and is Canadian on a Canadian team and bleeds Toronto blue.Sorry for the offtopic couldn't resist.
post #839 of 1288 Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

Measure it, it should fit fine. The box is 60.8" x 37.4" x 11.2"

Thank you! The van will hold up to 49" wide.
post #840 of 1288 Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM

This might be a dumb question, but I just got this TV and I can't find any option for frame interpolation. Doesn't 600hz mean it interpolates frames, meaning it should calculate additional frames between existing original frames? When I watch HDMI through my AC-Ryan, a downloaded MKV, it is not smoothing out the frames. It says the input is 1080p 60hz. It looks like 25 frames instead of well 100 frames per second, or 600 for that matter. It's not fluid. Am I missing something here? I did not enable the 'game' mode which turnes it off apparently.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pa6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page