LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1288 Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I remember correctly the instructions that came with the unit suggested laying the screen face down on a blanket or other soft material and install the base from that position. Did you not get that instruction sheet or did you misplace it or ignore it? There is also a screen cleaning cloth included and instructions on how to clean a plasma screen. Other printed and pictured instructions also describe the correct way to lift the tv so as to not twist it and possibly (probably?) crack the thin glass sheet. fairwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1288 Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM

@pakkasherra: No, do NOT lay the screen down on a bed which is too flexible and may bend the screen and crack it as you try to attach the base plate. Lay the tv down on a soft blanket on the floor or other hard surface underneath such as a large table.
post #993 of 1288 Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM

The LG 60" is already on sale $899 or less I've heard.
I love the 50" and wouldn't trade it for a Panny in a second.

I've had a Panny plasma and it died 3 times due to capacitor and electro sensitivity.
post #994 of 1288 Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakkasherra View Post

Got my 6500 delivered last night and having a friend to help me set the TV up tonight. Damn that thing is huge! I've had a projector and no TV in ages.. The question is: How have you people installed the TV stand? I was thinking maybe setting the TV flat on a bed or something to install the bottom stand. Any other suggestions/things I should be aware while installing my first ever plasma? smile.gif

Have somebody help you lift the TV onto the stand. Also, make sure it isn't backwards. I read where somebody put the stand in backwards and it bent the thin aluminum housing on the back side of the TV. Secure the stand with the provided screws and you're done. Mine is wall mounted but I used the stand while we worked on my TV cabinet.
post #995 of 1288 Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM

I saw this in my local Costco the other day. I've been wanting a 50'' but that $799 price is tempting for the 60'', its almost too big for me though. Locally I think the 50'' at Video Only is $649. Saw a Panasonic TC-50PU54 50'' for $599 too. The agony of choice.
post #996 of 1288 Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the tips. Got the stand installed fine with couple of friends holding the screen. But once again, my typical luck.. Found a bright green pixel on the screen today. Guess there's not much else to do than keep staring at it and suffer. Just sucks to pay 1000€ for a faulty product, even how small the fault actually is mad.gif
post #997 of 1288 Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 AM

@Pakkasherra: Try running the orbiter or screen wash for an hour or even less and see if that "washes" the pixel out. Wouldn't hurt and you may get lucky. It's like a spot high up on the wall or ceiling, you would not normally notice it but now you know it is there you will be seeing it all the time. fairwood mad.gif
post #998 of 1288 Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwood View Post

@Pakkasherra: Try running the orbiter or screen wash for an hour or even less and see if that "washes" the pixel out. Wouldn't hurt and you may get lucky. It's like a spot high up on the wall or ceiling, you would not normally notice it but now you know it is there you will be seeing it all the time. fairwood mad.gif

Thanks, gonna give it a try. My pixel is in a really bad spot, just above the subtitles frown.gif Anyone know what's LG's policy about these? Guess there has to be a bit more than one to get it replaced under warranty.
post #999 of 1288 Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks, gonna give it a try. My pixel is in a really bad spot, just above the subtitles frown.gif Anyone know what's LG's policy about these? Guess there has to be a bit more than one to get it replaced under warranty.

Try Pixel Jogger first, keep it running continuously repeat for at least 24+ hrs on high contrast and low brightness. You can use the tv mediaplayer with sd card or usb drive.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406663/pixel-jogger-breakin-improves-pq-plasma-lcd-led-tv-the-only-way

If that doesn't fixed it or any change, then its permanent pixel defect.
Exchange/return the tv asap as defective or not satisfied with it, since you just got it few days.
post #1000 of 1288 Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM

amazon and hhgreg have the pa 6500 50 inch for 599.00.
post #1001 of 1288 Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 17
Just a quick note: After 1000 hours I set the gamma to High and there was barely any difference in the black levels (unlike when it has 1 hour). And with some movies I've had to knock down the brightness to 48 to get deepest blacks.
post #1002 of 1288 Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

Try Pixel Jogger first, keep it running continuously repeat for at least 24+ hrs on high contrast and low brightness. You can use the tv mediaplayer with sd card or usb drive.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406663/pixel-jogger-breakin-improves-pq-plasma-lcd-led-tv-the-only-way
If that doesn't fixed it or any change, then its permanent pixel defect.
Exchange/return the tv asap as defective or not satisfied with it, since you just got it few days.
Would this work for a dead pixel, or just stuck pixels? Just got the 50PA5500 for $499. Really liking it but just noticed today that it has a dead pixel. Only have had it for a couple of days so exchange is no issue, just would rather not deal with taken it down and packing it up if I could fix it.
post #1003 of 1288 Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhern View Post

Would this work for a dead pixel, or just stuck pixels? Just got the 50PA5500 for $499. Really liking it but just noticed today that it has a dead pixel. Only have had it for a couple of days so exchange is no issue, just would rather not deal with taken it down and packing it up if I could fix it.

Dead pixels out of the box generally don't ever come back to life on plasmas. Exchange it immediately. Now that you know it is there, you will obsessively stare at t for hours. Just kidding... Sort of. Seriously though, exchange if you can. Dead pixels out of he box is generally not a good sign.
Jonhern likes this.
post #1004 of 1288 Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Dead pixels out of the box generally don't ever come back to life on plasmas. Exchange it immediately. Now that you know it is there, you will obsessively stare at t for hours. Just kidding... Sort of. Seriously though, exchange if you can. Dead pixels out of he box is generally not a good sign.

thanks. And gave that video a try anyway, not very long yet as i am going to bed, but is it supposed to look black while its playing? at first while the menu is up it looks white, but then when the menu goes away it turns to looking like blinking black screen. This is playing it from a usb HDD connected to the TV. Even doing it from my computer through hdmi using windows media play does the same thing, while the status bar is up it is blinking white, but when it auto hides it looks like a blinking black screen. But on my lcd monitor it looks like a blinking white screen the whole time.

And would the color wash option on the tv accomplish the same thing? i used it to get rid of ir.
post #1005 of 1288 Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 PM

I think mine got "better" after couple hours of color wash. Now the pixel just blinks green from time to time. Called LG and they simply said they wont do anything about this if theres not 4 or more damaged pixels. Gonna contact the retailer now and see what they can do about this.
post #1006 of 1288 Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I think mine got "better" after couple hours of color wash. Now the pixel just blinks green from time to time. Called LG and they simply said they wont do anything about this if theres not 4 or more damaged pixels. Gonna contact the retailer now and see what they can do about this.
I was able to exchange it at best buy today for a dead pixel.
post #1007 of 1288 Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM

The retailer agreed to take the TV back, thank god.. Guess there wouldn't be any hope to get the blinking green pixel to work in time anyways. Now I just need to figure how to get the damn thing back to its box smile.gif
post #1008 of 1288 Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Liked: 11
Hello gentleman! After extensively reading these threads I decided to join up. Now as pertaining to this particular thread I am in the process of buying a new set for the family room. My Mitsubishi WD60 finally kicked the dust and I'm tired of fixing it (myself). I have a Panasonic TC-P46X3 which I love, except for the mild dithering which only occurs in some scenes. I'm beginning to think it comes down to the source material and not the actual tv. Anyways back to the topic at hand. I am looking to buy either the LG 50pa5500 for $549 at Sears or the LG pa6500 for $599 at HHGregg. I could probably get HHGregg to price match although the model is slightly different. My other alternative is the Samsung PN51E530 for $579 at HHGregg. The LG and Samsung were next to each other and after giving the same picture settings the LG looked better, not as bright but nicer skin tones. Would anyone care to give some input on these choices? THANKS!

My ex girlfriend does have the Samsung 42' plasma from last year, I wasn't real impressed with it and it's lack of options.
post #1009 of 1288 Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDKYD81 View Post

Hello gentleman! After extensively reading these threads I decided to join up. Now as pertaining to this particular thread I am in the process of buying a new set for the family room. My Mitsubishi WD60 finally kicked the dust and I'm tired of fixing it (myself). I have a Panasonic TC-P46X3 which I love, except for the mild dithering which only occurs in some scenes. I'm beginning to think it comes down to the source material and not the actual tv. Anyways back to the topic at hand. I am looking to buy either the LG 50pa5500 for $549 at Sears or the LG pa6500 for $599 at HHGregg. I could probably get HHGregg to price match although the model is slightly different. My other alternative is the Samsung PN51E530 for $579 at HHGregg. The LG and Samsung were next to each other and after giving the same picture settings the LG looked better, not as bright but nicer skin tones. Would anyone care to give some input on these choices? THANKS!
My ex girlfriend does have the Samsung 42' plasma from last year, I wasn't real impressed with it and it's lack of options.

Well looking through user manuals and some online threads the Samsung PN51E530 doesn't seem to have/support 24P/24fps Smoothing. So that one is out.
post #1010 of 1288 Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:

I just got the 50pa5500, was able to get best buy to price match bj wholesales price of $499, they mistakenly listed the black Friday price early on the website this weekend. Anyway, i did also look at it at Paul's tv where they also had the 6500 on display, and the sales man told me the only difference was that the 6500 had slightly better blacks and anti glare. But he added that lgs anti glare is not that good so don''t know if it will be worth the price. But if you already have a bj's membership i would try them this weekend, the one near me had 5 of them in stock. Price is good 11/23-11/25.
post #1011 of 1288 Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhern View Post

I just got the 50pa5500, was able to get best buy to price match bj wholesales price of $499, they mistakenly listed the black Friday price early on the website this weekend. Anyway, i did also look at it at Paul's tv where they also had the 6500 on display, and the sales man told me the only difference was that the 6500 had slightly better blacks and anti glare. But he added that lgs anti glare is not that good so don''t know if it will be worth the price. But if you already have a bj's membership i would try them this weekend, the one near me had 5 of them in stock. Price is good 11/23-11/25.

Yeah, I was talking to the salesman at HHgregg and he didn't know crap about tvs and would only come down to $575 on the 6500. I'll try my luck tomorrow. If I can get the higher model for the same price I'll do it, if not then I guess the 5500 would suffice. Can you adjust the brightness on it? I couldn't change it at all when I was looking at it. The only thing that's really important to me is being able to run the Cinema Smooth 24p.
post #1012 of 1288 Old 11-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I was talking to the salesman at HHgregg and he didn't know crap about tvs and would only come down to $575 on the 6500. I'll try my luck tomorrow. If I can get the higher model for the same price I'll do it, if not then I guess the 5500 would suffice. Can you adjust the brightness on it? I couldn't change it at all when I was looking at it. The only thing that's really important to me is being able to run the Cinema Smooth 24p.
Yes you can adjust brightness, maybe demo mode blocked it. And it does 24p very well.
post #1013 of 1288 Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM

I'm planning to purchase the Samsung LED 50" UN50EH5000F for my parents. I can get it at around $40 dollars cheaper than this plasma. Which one should I go? =)
post #1014 of 1288 Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM

My other option I just discovered is the Panasonic TC-50PU54 at Sam's for $549. It doesn't have internet options or apps (I don't care for and blu ray players have them) and no Game Mode but either of those mean nothing to me. It's just pure picture with amazing blacks. I hate decisions haha.
post #1015 of 1288 Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 AM

My other option I just discovered is the Panasonic TC-50PU54 at Sam's for $549. It doesn't have internet options or apps (I don't care for and blu ray players have them) and no Game Mode but either of those mean nothing to me. It's just pure picture with amazing blacks. I hate decisions haha.
post #1016 of 1288 Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Hey guys new to forum. Bought the 60" about a month ago and now have 200+ of slides and regular viewing and all I can say is this tv definitely bang for the buck! This is my first plasma, upgrading from a 50" Sony rear projection HDTV. Here's my settings I calibrated through the AVS HD 709 calibration files:

Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 1 or 2
Contrast: 97
Brightness:47
H. Sharp: 10
V. Sharp: 10
Color: 54
Tint: 0
Expert control
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Gamma: low
Black Level: Low
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancement: Off
Color Temp: Medium

I thought this really lit up the screen during night time viewing and even during the day with controlled lighting. You folks can try these settings and maybe give me some feedback. Thanks!
post #1017 of 1288 Old 11-23-2012, 12:05 AM

Well I got the 50pa6500 for $575. After messing with some picture settings I noticed some strong IR from the menu so I'm color washing it at the moment. It's much better than the floor model, they were running components and it didn't even look like HD. I am in debate between this and the Panasonic TC-P50UP that I saw in Sears with an amazing picture, they're know for their deep blacks. The deal was $699 and for Black Friday you get $100 (100,000 points on Sears membership) so really it'd be $599. I might be able to price match them since Sam's has it for $549. SO far, I'm impressed, we shall see.
post #1018 of 1288 Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 AM

I was getting floating blacks with the gamma on low with blue ray content so here is my revised settings:

Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 1 or 2
Contrast: 96
Brightness:51
H. Sharp: 22
V. Sharp: 22
Color: 54
Tint: 0
Expert control
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Gamma: medium
Black Level: Low
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancement: Off
Color Temp: Medium

These settings are used for HDTV and blueray
post #1019 of 1288 Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Well I got the 50pa6500 for $575. After messing with some picture settings I noticed some strong IR from the menu so I'm color washing it at the moment. It's much better than the floor model, they were running components and it didn't even look like HD. I am in debate between this and the Panasonic TC-P50UP that I saw in Sears with an amazing picture, they're know for their deep blacks. The deal was $699 and for Black Friday you get $100 (100,000 points on Sears membership) so really it'd be $599. I might be able to price match them since Sam's has it for $549. SO far, I'm impressed, we shall see.

I get some IR on start up but it goes away after a minute or two. After it warms up IR is not a problem.
post #1020 of 1288 Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM

Finally decided to bring my 60PA6500 back to Costco. After hundreds of hours of breaking in and calibrating, the picture still looks noisy and just generally awful. I picked up the Vizio E701i-a3 and the jump in picture quality is just astounding. I know that a lot of people claim that plasma displays have a superior picture compared to LED backlit LCD, and that may be the case, but certainly not in the case of this particular plasma, at least in my opinion.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page