LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 1288 Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey guys, i need some help/advice on things.

Long story short, i've been using a Samsung plasma for like 4 years, until last year when it was time to finally switch to a full HD plasma, which became the Panasonic VT30. Lots of problems with it, banding,green blobs and what not. This year, finally got my money back....made the STUPID as hell decision to make the switch to LCD. Biggest mistake of my life, never again. Horrible for gaming IMO. And i am a huge gamer. Ok, with that out of the way....it's plasma time again, and time to sell this LCD.

I've got my eyes on two models:

LG 60PA6500
Samsung PS51E6500

My friend has a LG 60PK250, i'm VERY impressed with the picture quality, but the black levels are very very bad. Compared to the VT30 and LCD that i have now and that i will sell. (Toshiba 55 WL863), it's really bad. But from what i understand is that the PA6500 produces MUCH better blacks nowadays?

Also...60 inch is a very nice size. That same friend has a 60 inch,and i love that. What matters most for the LG are....the picture quality and the black levels...i expect plasma to have great motion, which my LCD absolutely does NOT have compared to plasma. (i'm sure for LCD standards its really good though). And i want to have a great picture quality.

I just went to the stores and i saw the Samsung PS51E6500, but i don't know why, but the screen looked so small. It's only alittle smaller than my current Toshiba LCD, but i was kinda shocked how small it looked. But the picture quality was fine and black levels too.

The LG PA6500 is nowhere to be seen in the stores, but here's the thing. This one shop let's me purchase it for 1250, and i can fully try it out at home, and if for some reason i really don't like it, i can have it returned for another tv or for full refund. There's not much reason to refuse this offer. But before i do...

How are the black levels compared to let's say...a Panasonic VT30? Are they dark enough?

Picture quality?

Motion?
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 1288 Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Member
 
brody76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have no issues with the blacks, out of the box they looked really good and improved since the 2011 models.

Surely it's not ST50 blacks, far from there, but a lot of details in dark scenes and blacks deep enough to not cause discomfort in a dark room.

Every time I switch my PA6500 on I'm always amazed by the PQ, it's really good for the price.

The Panasonic UT50 is clearly worth the money, but if you're not too picky and can live with lighter blacks and a bit more dithering, then the LG is perfect. 600$ is a bit of cash, you could invest it in some audio system and another BR player.
brody76 is offline  
post #213 of 1288 Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

I have no issues with the blacks, out of the box they looked really good and improved since the 2011 models.

Surely it's not ST50 blacks, far from there, but a lot of details in dark scenes and blacks deep enough to not cause discomfort in a dark room.

Every time I switch my PA6500 on I'm always amazed by the PQ, it's really good for the price.

The Panasonic UT50 is clearly worth the money, but if you're not too picky and can live with lighter blacks and a bit more dithering, then the LG is perfect. 600$ is a bit of cash, you could invest it in some audio system and another BR player.



Thanks alot for the reply

Well it's either going to be LG or Samsung really. The E6500 was fine and very affordable too. Actually even cheaper than the LG right now. Panasonic ain't gonna happen anymore for me, not after what i experienced and i find that reviews are too exeggerating about Panasonic. I wasn't impressed with the pq on the VT30 at all...i was honestly more impressed with the pq on the LG60PK250 than the VT30. Panasonic is also alot more expensive and that's totally not nessecary.

If i dig the LG tv, i would be so happy, cause 60 is an awsome size, especially for gaming. Not nessecarily online gaming, but just singleplayer gaming. I'll tell my experiences here later this week. If all goes well, my LCD will be sold on wedneday, and then i can buy the LG.

If the black levels can be compared to the VT30's or the Toshiba WL863...i'm happy enough.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #214 of 1288 Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

I just went to the stores and i saw the Samsung PS51E6500, but i don't know why, but the screen looked so small. It's only alittle smaller than my current Toshiba LCD, but i was kinda shocked how small it looked. But the picture quality was fine and black levels too.

Hmm. The Samsung E6500 with 51" has 0.05 cd/m2, which isn't a number, that I would call "fine blacks".

I doubt, that the A6500 has VT30 blacks, I suppose, it could have the same blacks as the PM9700, what would be 0.034 cd/m2.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #215 of 1288 Old 06-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Hmm. The Samsung E6500 with 51" has 0.05 cd/m2, which isn't a number, that I would call "fine blacks".

I doubt, that the A6500 has VT30 blacks, I suppose, it could have the same blacks as the PM9700, what would be 0.034 cd/m2.



Hmmmm ok, but then again..the VT30's black levels were really really black. My current LCD doesn't have that either, but it's good enough. I'll tell my impressions when i have the tv here. For me the picture quality is very important and the motion, and if the black levels are very acceptable, i'm good.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #216 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

I have no issues with the blacks, out of the box they looked really good and improved since the 2011 models.


Surely it's not ST50 blacks, far from there, but a lot of details in dark scenes and blacks deep enough to not cause discomfort in a dark room.


Every time I switch my PA6500 on I'm always amazed by the PQ, it's really good for the price.


The Panasonic UT50 is clearly worth the money, but if you're not too picky and can live with lighter blacks and a bit more dithering, then the LG is perfect. 600$ is a bit of cash, you could invest it in some audio system and another BR player.

I got a question, do you use a Xbox 360 or PS3 on it as well? If so, what picture settings do you use?

I always struggle with picture settings when i get a new tv, lol.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #217 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Newbie
 
TibFr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
strangely enough, I've read on a different forum that this LG wasn't really good. I'm really tempted by this 60inch. Just wondering if the picture quality is good with a PS3 for games (but also input lag for example) and Bluray via PS3

I m also quite surprised to see that there isnt any headphone input!!!

finally, I had a chance to have a look at this set today in a local store. It was just next to a Sharp 60" LED edge, and the picture on the Sharp seemed really bright and vibrant.

at the moment I have a 40" Full HD LCD Samsung which I am really pleased with but I now need something bigger.

is having a more 'natural" picture a characteristic of Plasmas or not necessarily?

thanks for your input smile.gif
TibFr is offline  
post #218 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TibFr View Post

strangely enough, I've read on a different forum that this LG wasn't really good. I'm really tempted by this 60inch. Just wondering if the picture quality is good with a PS3 for games (but also input lag for example) and Bluray via PS3
I m also quite surprised to see that there isnt any headphone input!!!
finally, I had a chance to have a look at this set today in a local store. It was just next to a Sharp 60" LED edge, and the picture on the Sharp seemed really bright and vibrant.
at the moment I have a 40" Full HD LCD Samsung which I am really pleased with but I now need something bigger.
is having a more 'natural" picture a characteristic of Plasmas or not necessarily?
thanks for your input smile.gif

Hold on, you mean the picture on the sharp or on the LG? Otherwise it's kina confusing for me now.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #219 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Newbie
 
TibFr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the sharp seemed crisper, vibrant colours

i've read a lot of user reviews on the LG, pretty much everyone is happy with their set.

Maybe, the store had left the energy saving option, so the picture looked very dull
TibFr is offline  
post #220 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Member
 
brody76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm using a PS3 and a 360.
The settings are almost stock from game mode, I just lower the contrast to 65 and the sharpness to 5.

It looks good to me, no complains.
As for the input lag, I never had problems with it. Actually I don't feel any difference.

LG plasmas have the highest input lag (this model is around 100-130) and some peoples say it's unplayable, I think there is a little bit of exaggeration to be honest.

It's like phosphor lag, most peoples don't notice a thing, while a minority are sensitive to it.
I'm playing boxing games, race games, FPS, and never had an issue with input lag.

Like it's been said numerous times in this topic, you'll never have a high end Samsung or Panasonic experience with an LG.
There are some drawbacks, but they go with the price.

The image looks stunning, I have no complains for the price I paid.
I wouldn't even be able to afford such a big screen if LG didn't manufacture those plasmas.

There is no way I'm going to pay +1500$ for a Panasonic, in the end it's just a TV (I paid this baby around 700$, it's half !).

Edit : it's off topic, but actually if you're smart (deactivate HUD's) playing games can help a lot for the break-in period.
In the latest games you are offered to deactivate the hud's and scoreboards, it makes the game more realistic and it saves you from burn-in. smile.gif
TibFr likes this.
brody76 is offline  
post #221 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
chavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plugged in my new 50PA6500 for the first time on Monday. I'm coming from a 2004 45 inch LC45GX6U LCD which literally cost 10 times more 8 years ago. But it was the first large screen to hit 1080P right here on AVS. Go back and search it if you want to see some history. Anyway, I'm glad I finally let go of the Sharp LCD. Plasma definitely gives more bang for the buck. I'm running mine with a HTPC with a Ceton 4 channel Tuner and a BluRay drive through an Okyo 709 receiver. There is no ARC out of HDMI 1 as far as I can tell.

The only complaint I have at the moment is the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping on this display. I have to throttle down the resolution to around 1848 X 1042 to get my desktop to not overscan. My Sharp had exact 1920X1080 pixel mapping.

I’m just getting around to figuring out how to calibrate this display. I’ve tried a little bit with Kanes DVE which I’ve never really liked. I’m going to download AVS 709 tonight. Any suggestions on getting 1:1 pixel mapping and what is the best way to calibrate a plasma?
chavel is offline  
post #222 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

I'm using a PS3 and a 360.
The settings are almost stock from game mode, I just lower the contrast to 65 and the sharpness to 5.
It looks good to me, no complains.
As for the input lag, I never had problems with it. Actually I don't feel any difference.
LG plasmas have the highest input lag (this model is around 100-130) and some peoples say it's unplayable, I think there is a little bit of exaggeration to be honest.
It's like phosphor lag, most peoples don't notice a thing, while a minority are sensitive to it.
I'm playing boxing games, race games, FPS, and never had an issue with input lag.
Like it's been said numerous times in this topic, you'll never have a high end Samsung or Panasonic experience with an LG.
There are some drawbacks, but they go with the price.
The image looks stunning, I have no complains for the price I paid.
I wouldn't even be able to afford such a big screen if LG didn't manufacture those plasmas.
There is no way I'm going to pay +1500$ for a Panasonic, in the end it's just a TV (I paid this baby around 700$, it's half !).
Edit : it's off topic, but actually if you're smart (deactivate HUD's) playing games can help a lot for the break-in period.
In the latest games you are offered to deactivate the hud's and scoreboards, it makes the game more realistic and it saves you from burn-in. smile.gif

I've had a Samsung PS50C91 plasma for years, never experienced any lag, i'm not even sure what lag on a tv is. Lag in a game is horrible, but is this lag that is caused by the tv? Never had that before though.
I realize i can't expect Samsung experience with LG, but i dont believe that much in the Panasonic hype personally. I owned a VT30 and i really wasn't impressed with the pq. I actually liked the pq of the LG PK250 more, and that's a 2010 plasma. The reviews for the VT30 were ridiciulous IMO...they all made it sound like the tv was perfection, when it was far from it. Sure the black levels were crazy nice, but the pq? No way. I tried out alot of 360 and PS3 games on it...like Crysis 2, and i never really liked it. I then saw it on the Toshiba LCD and i was stunned...so much better.

This evening i sold my toshiba LCD. So that means i go to the store tomorrow and seal the deal for the LG 60PA6500. I then expect to have it on friday or saturday. And the great thing is that i can fully try it out, and see if its to my liking, and if not....i can return it, that's just a damn sweet offer. The only dealbreaker could be that the black levels are crap, but if they are acceptable and the pq is awesome, and motion too....i'll keep it. If i dont keep it, i'm probably gonna save for the 60 inch version of the Samsung E6500. I can't afford the E8000.

Not every game lets you disable HUDS, but games like Dead Space and such don't even have HUDS anymore, which is great. But if i'm to play a game like GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption....a minimap will always be present. But i've been using plasmas for years, it should be fine. I just need to be a bit careful in the break-in period...how many hours was recommended again for the breaking in?

One thing is for sure, when i get the tv, i'm gonna try out all the games that were horrible on the Toshiba LCD, to see how the motion is and what not. It's gonna be so good to finally have a normal gaming experience again. The plasma experience.
TibFr likes this.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #223 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
squeakybirnbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MO
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

I've had a Samsung PS50C91 plasma for years, never experienced any lag, i'm not even sure what lag on a tv is. Lag in a game is horrible, but is this lag that is caused by the tv? Never had that before though.
I realize i can't expect Samsung experience with LG, but i dont believe that much in the Panasonic hype personally. I owned a VT30 and i really wasn't impressed with the pq. I actually liked the pq of the LG PK250 more, and that's a 2010 plasma. The reviews for the VT30 were ridiciulous IMO...they all made it sound like the tv was perfection, when it was far from it. Sure the black levels were crazy nice, but the pq? No way. I tried out alot of 360 and PS3 games on it...like Crysis 2, and i never really liked it. I then saw it on the Toshiba LCD and i was stunned...so much better.
This evening i sold my toshiba LCD. So that means i go to the store tomorrow and seal the deal for the LG 60PA6500. I then expect to have it on friday or saturday. And the great thing is that i can fully try it out, and see if its to my liking, and if not....i can return it, that's just a damn sweet offer. The only dealbreaker could be that the black levels are crap, but if they are acceptable and the pq is awesome, and motion too....i'll keep it. If i dont keep it, i'm probably gonna save for the 60 inch version of the Samsung E6500. I can't afford the E8000.
Not every game lets you disable HUDS, but games like Dead Space and such don't even have HUDS anymore, which is great. But if i'm to play a game like GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption....a minimap will always be present. But i've been using plasmas for years, it should be fine. I just need to be a bit careful in the break-in period...how many hours was recommended again for the breaking in?
One thing is for sure, when i get the tv, i'm gonna try out all the games that were horrible on the Toshiba LCD, to see how the motion is and what not. It's gonna be so good to finally have a normal gaming experience again. The plasma experience.
I look forward to your review. I was eyeing the Panasonic 60ut50 but if I got the LG instead I could use that extra money for a 3570k. And a motherboard. And a video card.
TibFr likes this.
squeakybirnbaum is online now  
post #224 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Member
 
brody76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

I've had a Samsung PS50C91 plasma for years, never experienced any lag, i'm not even sure what lag on a tv is. Lag in a game is horrible, but is this lag that is caused by the tv? Never had that before though.

The input lag is the delay between your action on the game pad and what happens on the screen.
I personally never experienced it either, it depends on peoples I guess.

It was possible to feel it on the first LCD's that had a really horrible response time, but these days you have to be really picky to notice any delay on the screen.

They don't even measure the input lag in the TV tests.

Panasonic's are expensive.

They're loosing a lot of money with those expensive plasmas (10 billion this year, even beating Sony).
This is the problem with Japanese manufacturers, they don't seem to be able to analyze a market properly.

When the economy is bad, you have to follow. LG understood that, and Samsung has a large variety of plasmas too (going from cheap to high end).

If they keep up there won't be any Panasonic plasma anymore in the upcoming years.

And I also agree to say that they have horrible defects for the price (green/pink blobs, It occurred on a lot of 50" the past few years) and that their customer service is terrible.

Was off topic, but had to say it.
brody76 is offline  
post #225 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

I look forward to your review. I was eyeing the Panasonic 60ut50 but if I got the LG instead I could use that extra money for a 3570k. And a motherboard. And a video card.

I'll definitely tell my impressions in the weekend. Unless something goes wrong and i get the tv next week smile.gif. I'll try out Fallout 3 right away and Skyrim as well. I remember 1,2 months ago when i had just gotten the new Toshiba LCD and playing Skyrim for the first time, i loved the pq, was stunned by it but i was also stunned in a negative way about the motion, my god the stutterings when i only looked around in the game. I thought that was quite bad until i fired up Fallout 3.....my god. No, Fallout 3 ain't the smoothest game around, but i remember how it was on my older Samsung plasma and the Panny VT30...it was never this horrible with the stuttering. I absolutely can't wait to experience that smoothness of plasma again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

The input lag is the delay between your action on the game pad and what happens on the screen.
I personally never experienced it either, it depends on peoples I guess.
It was possible to feel it on the first LCD's that had a really horrible response time, but these days you have to be really picky to notice any delay on the screen.
They don't even measure the input lag in the TV tests.
Panasonic's are expensive.
They're loosing a lot of money with those expensive plasmas (10 billion this year, even beating Sony).
This is the problem with Japanese manufacturers, they don't seem to be able to analyze a market properly.
When the economy is bad, you have to follow. LG understood that, and Samsung has a large variety of plasmas too (going from cheap to high end).
If they keep up there won't be any Panasonic plasma anymore in the upcoming years.
And I also agree to say that they have horrible defects for the price (green/pink blobs, It occurred on a lot of 50" the past few years) and that their customer service is terrible.
Was off topic, but had to say it.

Yep, my VT30 had that exact thing....green blobs and vertical banding. Snow in Skyrim was green in certain places..i mean...wtf? It took almost a year for E-care (Repair service for Panny,Sammy, etc in Holland) and Panasonic to finally acknowledge that this fault could not be fixed....on top of that i had bought the VT30 at a dealer that wasn't helping me out in any way, yeah....quite a nightmare really, really glad that's over and that i got my money back as well.

When i saw my friend's LG and i saw games like Crysis 2 on it and BF3 and saw how much better the PQ was compared to the VT30 i had at that time...i was just so let down. I didn't tell my friend, but in my head i was like....jesus christ...i pay big money for a Panasonic, a tv reviews say about that is close to perfection, and a 2010 LG plasma is actually better with the PQ? Holy **** man. I can't know for sure yet, but i have a feeling LG is underrated when it comes to plasma, and i'd like to support that, if the tv is to my liking of course smile.gif
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #226 of 1288 Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
chavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"The only complaint I have at the moment is the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping on this display. I have to throttle down the resolution to around 1848 X 1042 to get my desktop to not overscan. My Sharp had exact 1920X1080 pixel mapping."

I set the display to "scan only" and now I get zero over scan. I used the settings posted in this thread and a Spyder 2 colorimeter to set an ICC profile with good results. I think I'm pretty close to where it should be. This is a very good HTPC panel.
chavel is offline  
post #227 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavel View Post

"The only complaint I have at the moment is the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping on this display. I have to throttle down the resolution to around 1848 X 1042 to get my desktop to not overscan. My Sharp had exact 1920X1080 pixel mapping."
I set the display to "scan only" and now I get zero over scan. I used the settings posted in this thread and a Spyder 2 colorimeter to set an ICC profile with good results. I think I'm pretty close to where it should be. This is a very good HTPC panel.

I'm probably going to sound like a big newbie, but what is HTPC exactly? smile.gif


I just went to the store, paid the money and now it's waiting time till tomorrow. They will deliver it tomorrow. I'm gonna have to make some extra space on my AV furniture, cause the Toshiba LCD that i had, was able to stand on it, but that was 55 inch, this is gonna be 60 and i don't know how extra big the frame is. Can't wait!!!
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #228 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Member
 
ghice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well today is the day.

I'm getting my 60" lg6500 plasma today which will be replacing a 55" rear projection. Last night I received my Panasonic BDT-320 blu ray along with the 60" TV stand that I ordered from Amazon. The stand is assembled and I am about to go and get the LG6500 here if just a few mins. So excited to be getting this TV. I have been doing research on TV's now for about 2 months. At first I had my mind set on getting a LED LCD but after doing all this research I realize that Plasma is King when it comes to a TV display and the LED LCD's are literally measuring themselves against the Plasma's.

I will be posting here very soon my first impressions out of the box and again after I try the custom setting posted here on this forum.

Thanks to all that has provided such vital info on this TV.


Gerald cool.gif
TibFr likes this.
ghice is offline  
post #229 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
chavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"I'm probably going to sound like a big newbie, but what is HTPC exactly?"

Home Theater Personal Computer. There used to be a whole forum dedicated to it here. People used to and still do use computers to get the best possible picture quality from their displays. It was a hobby and took a lot of work. These days with new displays and video cards with HDMI it's a lot easier. Even most laptops have HDMI these days. I didn't need to buy an internet ready display because I have a computer hooked up. I also don't need a DVR because I have a Ceton Cable Card Tuner in my HTPC and I don't need a DVD player because my HTPC does that as well.

Hope that answers your question.
chavel is offline  
post #230 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Newbie
 
TibFr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys,

there's 400 euros difference between the 50 and the 60", I m seriously reconsidering buying 60 inch (1000 euros) . I know 10 inches is quite something but it's almost twice as much (600 euros delivered for the 50")

I'm coming from a LCD 40" but I wanted something bigger, 55 would have been the best option (especially for the WAF biggrin.gif), would 10" make a big difference?
TibFr is offline  
post #231 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Member
 
rb1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FLANDERS, BELGIUM
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I went from a 42 to 50" and was already impressed
depends at what distance you are.
TibFr likes this.
rb1213 is offline  
post #232 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
squeakybirnbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MO
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavel View Post

"I'm probably going to sound like a big newbie, but what is HTPC exactly?"
Home Theater Personal Computer. There used to be a whole forum dedicated to it here.
Used to? There still is! http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers
squeakybirnbaum is online now  
post #233 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Member
 
mektarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to decide between the 50PA5500/6500 and the Panasonic TC-50U50/54. Anyone have any thoughts? confused.gif
mektarus is offline  
post #234 of 1288 Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
chavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Used to? There still is! http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

Haven't been here for a few years and now everything is different. Thanks for pointing the way.
chavel is offline  
post #235 of 1288 Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I just got the screen, they delivered incredibly early in the morning, i absolutely didn't expect that. Short impressions.....

Fired up Resident Evil 5 on 360, Fallout 3, Skyrim.....result?

BLOWN THE HELL AWAY!!!!


Was afraid for a minute that i would had to get used to plasma, because LCD was so bright...but this is bright enough. The PQ is crystal clear and the motion is exactly what i wanted back, smooth motion, no judders,nothing. Black levels so far very very ok, haven't checked it in detail yet. I'll have to fire up Dead Space or a movie for that. Now....i'm just gonna enjoy this, i'm so happy.
squeakybirnbaum and TibFr like this.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #236 of 1288 Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 AM
Newbie
 
TibFr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks mate for your input, make sure you keep us informed if you have any great impressions / issues smile.gifsmile.gif
TibFr is offline  
post #237 of 1288 Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TibFr View Post

thanks mate for your input, make sure you keep us informed if you have any great impressions / issues smile.gifsmile.gif

I definitely post much more detailed impressions later on. Someone i know said that he'd never buy a LG tv, when i asked why he said....you know, the incredible low price, reviews, something is not right about that. Well, all i can say is, my friend has been using a LG plasma for i think three years now and never any problems. I think some people are really prejudiced when it comes to LG. Hell...i was awhile ago...reason? None..no reason at all. Very stupid indeed, lol.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #238 of 1288 Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OnlookerDelay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I just got the screen, they delivered incredibly early in the morning, i absolutely didn't expect that. Short impressions.....
Fired up Resident Evil 5 on 360, Fallout 3, Skyrim.....result?
BLOWN THE HELL AWAY!!!!
Was afraid for a minute that i would had to get used to plasma, because LCD was so bright...but this is bright enough. The PQ is crystal clear and the motion is exactly what i wanted back, smooth motion, no judders,nothing. Black levels so far very very ok, haven't checked it in detail yet. I'll have to fire up Dead Space or a movie for that. Now....i'm just gonna enjoy this, i'm so happy.

You're talking my language with this report Moonwalker! I'm an avid video gamer myself and have a 360 and a PS3 connected to my AV receiver, which is now using a JVC HD-ILA 56" HD rear projection LCoS as its display device. It's adequate when the lamp is relatively new, but after about 4 or 5 months, no amount of brightness, gamma, and contrast can get the POP back into the image. I'm tired of shelling out $90 two to three times a year for a replacement bulb.

I'm looking at the LG 60-PA6500 as an option. It will be driven most of the time by the 360 or the PS3, in both gaming and streaming video modes (the latter particularly with the 360). The judders is something I see in my Toshiba Regza LCD HDTV, but the POP on that set is still jaw dropping. I'm watching your impressions carefully to help me with my decision, as no store within 50 miles of me has a display model of the LG.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
OnlookerDelay is offline  
post #239 of 1288 Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Member
 
mektarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I just got the screen, they delivered incredibly early in the morning, i absolutely didn't expect that. Short impressions.....
Fired up Resident Evil 5 on 360, Fallout 3, Skyrim.....result?
BLOWN THE HELL AWAY!!!!
Was afraid for a minute that i would had to get used to plasma, because LCD was so bright...but this is bright enough. The PQ is crystal clear and the motion is exactly what i wanted back, smooth motion, no judders,nothing. Black levels so far very very ok, haven't checked it in detail yet. I'll have to fire up Dead Space or a movie for that. Now....i'm just gonna enjoy this, i'm so happy.

Sounds awesome! How are the blacks and the dithering...those seem to be the main complaints with this tv?
mektarus is offline  
post #240 of 1288 Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

You're talking my language with this report Moonwalker! I'm an avid video gamer myself and have a 360 and a PS3 connected to my AV receiver, which is now using a JVC HD-ILA 56" HD rear projection LCoS as its display device. It's adequate when the lamp is relatively new, but after about 4 or 5 months, no amount of brightness, gamma, and contrast can get the POP back into the image. I'm tired of shelling out $90 two to three times a year for a replacement bulb.
I'm looking at the LG 60-PA6500 as an option. It will be driven most of the time by the 360 or the PS3, in both gaming and streaming video modes (the latter particularly with the 360). The judders is something I see in my Toshiba Regza LCD HDTV, but the POP on that set is still jaw dropping. I'm watching your impressions carefully to help me with my decision, as no store within 50 miles of me has a display model of the LG.

Rear projection, is that the same as a beamer? I've used beamers for a long time and then it was really time to go for my first HDTV, which became the Samsung plasma. Some games still have judders, but the thing is, that's the games themselves. While i had to wait for this LG, i played my games on a 18 inch HP monitor, and some games showed some judders too. But what my Toshiba LCD did...that was just ridiciulous. So you have a Toshiba Regza? By any chance the 55WL863? I had that and the pq was amazing but i hated the ridiculous stuttering/judders. On top of that came things like...when i entered a dark area in a game, say a cave or dungeon, and i looked around...the black levels seemed to change from pitch black to dark grey, plus the viewing angle, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mektarus View Post

Sounds awesome! How are the blacks and the dithering...those seem to be the main complaints with this tv?

I'm not sure what dithering is, but the blacks are good. But they really are not on the level of the Panasonic VT30 or Toshiba 55WL863. They aren't grey, but neither are they pitch black. But they are absolutely fine in my honest opinion though. Been playing some Skyrim for some hours now, entering dungeons and buildings, and it's good enough with the black levels.

Right now i'm trying to find a good way to protect this screen from IR and eventually burn-in. When i go for a coffee break or a walk with the dog, or anything short like that, i need something to protect the tv for that, and i don't always want to power it off.
TibFr likes this.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pa6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off