Whats the deal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With so many people on this board giving samsung and their TV's a bad rap? I see a lot of people on here who are die hard panasonic fans, yet when i look at my 50" 3D samsung C680, I honestly can say that the panasonic tv's (S, ST, GT, and even VT) do not have the vibrant colors that the equivalent samsungs have. Picture color, to my untrained eye, is a crucial part of the viewing experience, and to me, its not even a contest between the two brands. Sure, black levels may be slightly better on the Panasonic, but 99% of people wont notice that, they will notice the popping colors first.

Also, in regards to customer service, Samsung has been nothing short of fantastic for me. I had 1 dead pixel which i noticed since im very picky about my sets. I called them and was on the phone with a rep for 5 minutes. She told me she is immediately sending out a samsung tech to replace the whole tv at my house, free of all charges. That shows me that the company backs what they put out, and normally, 1 dead pixel out of how many millions that are on a 1080P 50" set, is normally not going to be replaced and is considered a non issue.

So, tell me why samsung sets are so "inferior" to panasonic? I always see people asking what to get and 90% of the people say "panasonic" without any regard for the persons preferences or budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I think it is because many place contrast on the top of their list when purchasing a panel and the Panasonics typically have double that of the Samsungs.

I agree that Samsung makes great PDP's and for many present a better value considering what is offered in comparison.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Panasonic is the darling of the critical press. I tend to prefer their "no frills" approach. Plus it's Panasonic! I mean, how long has that brand name been kicking around? I still remember what a POS my first Samsung phone was and first impressions mean a lot in the gadget industry...

Oh-- and panasonic tvs are cheap! 8)

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #4 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Panasonic is the darling of the critical press. I tend to prefer their "no frills" approach. Plus it's Panasonic! I mean, how long has that brand name been kicking around? I still remember what a POS my first Samsung phone was and first impressions mean a lot in the gadget industry...

I am by no means "hating" on panasonic so to speak. They make great products and i own an LCD made in 2005 from them myself. I just really find it rather annoying that samsung gets slammed while panasonic doesnt. They have their fair share of problems as well (green blob, pink tints, ect).

Also, Samsung TV's are much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. They look modern, while panasonic TV's (which cost more most of the time for an equivalent model) still look the same as they did 5 years ago. to be honest, my 7 year old LCD looks more appealing than many of new Panasonics.

I do also think its unfair to count samsung out in the TV department because you had a bad cell phone years ago.

EDIT: in regards to panasonic being cheaper, thats completely false. Samsung is by far the better deal for similar models. Go compare a Vt series plasma to a D8000 samsung and you will see. that goes for almost every model below the big boys as well.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

I think it is because many place contrast on the top of their list when purchasing a panel and the Panasonics typically have double that of the Samsungs.

I agree that Samsung makes great PDP's and for many present a better value considering what is offered in comparison.

Most people will never even be able to notice the contrast level differences, and IMO, those are marketing schemes anyways. You can have a set that has a 15 million/1 contrast level and have another with half of that and I guarantee no one will notice a difference unless you are a professional.

My old lcd has a contrast of 500:1 and it looks just fine when compared to other comparable new lcds, i cannot notice a difference.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayout2217 View Post

Most people will never even be able to notice the contrast level differences, and IMO, those are marketing schemes anyways. You can have a set that has a 15 million/1 contrast level and have another with half of that and I guarantee no one will notice a difference unless you are a professional.

My old lcd has a contrast of 500:1 and it looks just fine when compared to other comparable new lcds, i cannot notice a difference.

I wouldn't necessarily say contrast is a marketing scheme, I can plainly see a difference in contrast with my tv vs the vt or d series. Anyways as much as I like seeing panasonic improving their "black levels" I simply wasn't impressed by the overall image, just looked a bit dull or washed out. The samsung may not produce blacker blacks but it still looked better to me...

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #7 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to hear some input from the Panasonic guys if possible as well. I'm not trying to start a battle of panasonic vs. samsung PDP's, i would just like to hear some explanations for the claims against samsung and their sets.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I'd like to hear some input from the Panasonic guys if possible as well. I'm not trying to start a battle of panasonic vs. samsung PDP's, i would just like to hear some explanations for the claims against samsung and their sets.

For me I actually like what I saw and read on both the Panasonic and Samsungs but it came down to needs, wants and of course budget. I read plenty of positive...and negatives of both brands from users and professional reviews.

I actually started out with looking at the Panasonic ST30 and Samsung D550. And then it went to the Samsung D6500, to the pansasonic GT30 and then to the Samsung D7000. At first it was a 51" but Samsung sizes are fairly wide along with the price on the 51" to 59". I really did like the D7000 but it was a good $400 more than the Panny 55" GT30 (at B.B). Pansonic has a closer size & cost ratio at 50", 55" & 60".

I honestly don't think I could've gone wrong with the Samsung D7000 but it did come down to economics. I ended up getting the 55" GT30 thru Amazon, plus Panny BDT210 Bly-Ray, plus two pairs of of 3Active 3D glasses at my dollar target. The same amount as if i bought theTV "alone" at B.B by the way. Coming from a 2009 Sony LCD there is no comparrion as far as I'm concerned. Only had it a week and the 3D Glasses will be here in the next day or so.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

It seems there have been more customer service issues with Samsung reading around here. I have a Panny & trust me it has its faults. I have been plagued by floating blacks to the point I have considered just dumping it. So I have no loyalty to any company now.

I think Samsungs poor initial responses to the fluctuating brightness problem & peeling screens has put them in a tough spot around here. I have a 42" Samsung plasma in my bedroom that has been a very good tv.

Have you got your new tv yet? Let us know when you do as I would personally be pleasantly surprised if they honor their offer to you. I suspect they may change their mind on that one.....
post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 57
There are many of us who know Samsung and Panasonic make nice TVs and purchase the one that is on sale with the right features at the right time. Others have had a bad experience with either brand and have firmly chosen a side. In the past Samsung panels were known to have worse image retention and blacks, which helped shape people's opinions and recommendation. Some just like to be fanboys similar to the Xbox vs. Playstation crowd. It is what it is. This topic is a bit fanboyish.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM

I gave up on my GT30, and now went for a D7000. I think all these TVs have faults and to be honest i'm sick of looking for them. Hopefully my D7000 will not have the FBr or peeling issues. It SEEMS as tho sammy is releasing a fix for it anyways. If the sammy contrast was half as good as a panny's, why does CNET (katzmeir) pick it as best overall TV and say the picture is better than the ST, GT30 and almost as good as the VT? Just curious...
post #12 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

?

I am not referring to marketing but calibration reports.

My advice to you, if you cannot distinguish a difference between a panel with a cr of 500:1 and one with 6k:1, is to just get a the cheapest panel you can and enjoy it.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

What is the contrast ratio on a 55GT30. I have not seen it printed and I looked and asked.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post

What is the contrast ratio on a 55GT30. I have not seen it printed and I looked and asked.

You won't find too much as far as "Contrast Ratios" especially with Plasmas. Getting a measurement is not the same as with LCD or LED. The only thing I've seen is the "Panasonic...Ideas For Life" Global mentioning the features in the different sets. According to it....

Infinite Black Pro (Native Contrast 5,000,000:1

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/eu201...gt_plasma.html

And FWIW....here is the "Panasonic Ideas For Life 2010" site showing......VIERA Plasmas TVs have a high dynamic contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1.

http://www.vieraexperience.com/html/...0000001-plasma
post #15 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Don't ask. You have good intentions but only bad can come from this!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page