spent some more time calibrating the display today, so a couple follow-up observations from doing this tweak.
first, with my settings maxed out(or should that be min'd?) the peak brightness is WAY less. this is actually a perk for me though, finally a way to reduce the peak luminance without 'crippling' the contrast, haha. anyway, with cell light 20, contrast 95, and in movie mode and gamma +1, i was only starting with about 40ftl, which needs to be reduced to fix the gamma curve. in the end, i got around 36ftl, with cell light at 18. prior to the tweak, i was getting 37ftl with a cell light of 15.
second, i did finally notice mis-firing pixels. it's very rare that it happens though, and i would describe it as slightly less noticeable than dithering(i am unable to detect it from my front row or seating, even when deliberately looking for it). so, while part of me thinks i ought to open the back panel again, and increase voltages slightly until it goes away, the reality is that i'd MUCH rather have the lower MLL's than worry about a 'defect' i can't see. but that's for me. i just wanted to make it clear that with the voltages reduced completely, there are some mis-fires, and it's just my choice that i'd rather have those mis-fires than give up the .005cd/m2 blacks i've now been able to achieve. my ansi contrast also doubled, and i've noticed that with some brighter scenes there is a ton of 'pop' to the picture. there's still some room for improvement with those mostly all dark scenes, but full black(like credits or fades) and anything bright look amazing right now.
Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Last edited by fierce_gt; 11-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.