Samsung Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks. - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 427 Old 11-15-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,434
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 923
spent some more time calibrating the display today, so a couple follow-up observations from doing this tweak.

first, with my settings maxed out(or should that be min'd?) the peak brightness is WAY less. this is actually a perk for me though, finally a way to reduce the peak luminance without 'crippling' the contrast, haha. anyway, with cell light 20, contrast 95, and in movie mode and gamma +1, i was only starting with about 40ftl, which needs to be reduced to fix the gamma curve. in the end, i got around 36ftl, with cell light at 18. prior to the tweak, i was getting 37ftl with a cell light of 15.

second, i did finally notice mis-firing pixels. it's very rare that it happens though, and i would describe it as slightly less noticeable than dithering(i am unable to detect it from my front row or seating, even when deliberately looking for it). so, while part of me thinks i ought to open the back panel again, and increase voltages slightly until it goes away, the reality is that i'd MUCH rather have the lower MLL's than worry about a 'defect' i can't see. but that's for me. i just wanted to make it clear that with the voltages reduced completely, there are some mis-fires, and it's just my choice that i'd rather have those mis-fires than give up the .005cd/m2 blacks i've now been able to achieve. my ansi contrast also doubled, and i've noticed that with some brighter scenes there is a ton of 'pop' to the picture. there's still some room for improvement with those mostly all dark scenes, but full black(like credits or fades) and anything bright look amazing right now.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 11-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.
fierce_gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 427 Old 11-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Senior Member
 
cooknl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Amsterdam
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi Guys,

I had a pixel line that did not light up and I complained to samsung and they had my pdp panel replaced under warranty.
I now notice after about 100hrs on the new screen (pdp panel)and running the breakin slides from the avs disc, that my color and
detail just dont look the same as with the original screen.
Do I now have to have the tv recalibrated? The main board and power supply board were NOT exchanged the other boards were.
So in my thinking the system still has the settings from the calibration done before the panel (screen) replacement.
The original screen was from mar 2013 and the new screen is from sept 2014.

My main question is do I need to have the TV recalibrated ??

thanx

Rob

PS my tv is a PS51f8500 euro version.

Last edited by cooknl; 11-16-2014 at 12:49 AM.
cooknl is offline  
post #423 of 427 Old 11-16-2014, 02:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post
Hi Guys,

I had a pixel line that did not light up and I complained to samsung and they had my pdp panel replaced under warranty.
I now notice after about 100hrs on the new screen (pdp panel)and running the breakin slides from the avs disc, that my color and
detail just dont look the same as with the original screen.
Do I now have to have the tv recalibrated? The main board and power supply board were NOT exchanged the other boards were.
So in my thinking the system still has the settings from the calibration done before the panel (screen) replacement.
The original screen was from mar 2013 and the new screen is from sept 2014.

My main question is do I need to have the TV recalibrated ??

thanx

Rob

PS my tv is a PS51f8500 euro version.
The replacement screen by itself would be enough to require a recalibration but you really should wait a few hundred hours for it to burn in. At a minimum 300 hours. Not all screens behave the same but I'd error on caution and not have to wonder if I should have waited longer.

Using the breakin slides is a good idea but after a hundred or so, I don't see anything wrong with mixing normal content and enjoying the display.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #424 of 427 Old 11-16-2014, 02:15 AM
Senior Member
 
cooknl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Amsterdam
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
The replacement screen by itself would be enough to require a recalibration but you really should wait a few hundred hours for it to burn in. At a minimum 300 hours. Not all screens behave the same but I'd error on caution and not have to wonder if I should have waited longer.

Using the breakin slides is a good idea but after a hundred or so, I don't see anything wrong with mixing normal content and enjoying the display.
Hi JimP

Yep I was aware of the 300 hour suggestion, in fact I waited till 1100 hours before having the original screen calibrated.

As far as clibration is concerned is there an automated workflow for calman 4.5 software i been looking and cant find anything, and I am to dumb to figure out how to do it manually.


Thanx

Rob
cooknl is offline  
post #425 of 427 Old 11-16-2014, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,898
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post
Hi JimP

Yep I was aware of the 300 hour suggestion, in fact I waited till 1100 hours before having the original screen calibrated.

As far as clibration is concerned is there an automated workflow for calman 4.5 software i been looking and cant find anything, and I am to dumb to figure out how to do it manually.


Thanx

Rob
This is OT for this thread but if you have your own equipment you can of course calibrate any time you want, there is no need to wait, just touch it up after a couple of hundred hours. I'm interested though in what the black levels of your panel were prior to and after the panel swap, have you measured them? My theory is that the firmware on the logic board is responsible for the decrease that some have measured between 2013 and 2014 models.
zoyd is online now  
post #426 of 427 Old 11-16-2014, 05:21 AM
Senior Member
 
cooknl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Amsterdam
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
This is OT for this thread but if you have your own equipment you can of course calibrate any time you want, there is no need to wait, just touch it up after a couple of hundred hours. I'm interested though in what the black levels of your panel were prior to and after the panel swap, have you measured them? My theory is that the firmware on the logic board is responsible for the decrease that some have measured between 2013 and 2014 models.
Hi Zoyd,
The tv was calibrated at aprox 1100 hours by dr. Julian Scott from the UK.
I wish i could calibrate it myself I do have the tools but cant figure out how to. I have the Calman kit with 4.6 software and a colorimeter
type spectracal eye-one display2 part number 42.44.48

I just cant figure out how to do calibration with the above.

I have a report from the calibration bit dont know where to read the black level.

Rob
cooknl is offline  
post #427 of 427 Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post
Hi JimP

Yep I was aware of the 300 hour suggestion, in fact I waited till 1100 hours before having the original screen calibrated.

As far as clibration is concerned is there an automated workflow for calman 4.5 software i been looking and cant find anything, and I am to dumb to figure out how to do it manually.


Thanx

Rob
When you say automated workflow, I'm assuming you're talking about where you click one button and it goes through all the patterns and automatically adjust the display. Using Calman 5, I can do that with my Panasonic VT50 but the Samsung F8500 doesn't have such a feature. Given the interactivity of different grayscale point, I'm not that convinced that it works the way you'd expect so doing a manual calibration where you can go back and redo grayscale to even out the errors caused by the interactivity is better.

On your previous calibration report, look for the grayscale report with "0" level of "Y". This will be your black level. Slight problem is it will vary depending on the type of pattern used. On my 64F8500, using a full screen black pattern with black optimizer set to dark room, I can get .003 ft lamberts. Use a 25% apl with a 10% window, black measures as .011. Do you recall which pattern your calibrator used?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off