post #181 of 395 Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

zoyd, I'm about to open up the tv to fix the green sparkles. I dont have a meter to get the voltage numbers so in your opinion should I leave the voltage alone or turn them a little. thanks

Leave alone and just use Yrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 395 Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About to try this out soon. Like others, I'll try out the Yrr first and perhaps Vs/Va after warranty lapses.

@zoyd, should I turn the TV OFF when adjusting the pot, then ON to test, etc... or is it safe to leave it ON when adjusting/testing? Also, are there notches on the Yrr pot so as to know where the default/factory was?

Also, by around how much did you turn your Yrr pot? Mine has exceeded 1/4 and I still don't see any sparkles/misfires in the scrolling pattern, nor any green/red dithers on a black image. Should I still turn it even if it reaches half-way? Just worried there might be adverse effects by turning it too much.

BTW, thanks for the great work (and the FBr fix too!)
post #183 of 395 Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 PM

Liked: 11
zoyd on the picture where you show your yrr location is the picture turned sideways if so then my yrr ended up at the same location as yours. The triangle is at 12 oclock. Wierd thing is I checked with scrolling and black screen and no misfires or green sparkles so I closed it up and put it back. I turned it on and went to dvr(att uverse)And put on lostgirl(sifi channel)and started to see pinkish red sparkles in there faces(sheesh).I was scrtching head no sparkles like that before just green and being that i just got done turning the yrr back, they shouldn't be there right? I have it on a differnt station now and there gone, maybe the tv wasnt warmed up. I never saw that before on that chanel
post #184 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa25 View Post

About to try this out soon. Like others, I'll try out the Yrr first and perhaps Vs/Va after warranty lapses.

@zoyd, should I turn the TV OFF when adjusting the pot, then ON to test, etc... or is it safe to leave it ON when adjusting/testing? Also, are there notches on the Yrr pot so as to know where the default/factory was?

Thanks for the great work (and the FBr fix too!)

Most people leave the TV while doing the adjustment to watch for misfires real-time. This requires care not to short any components (or yourself) to ground so use insulated tools. Take a picture of you POT to record it's factory position.
post #185 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

zoyd on the picture where you show your yrr location is the picture turned sideways if so then my yrr ended up at the same location as yours. The triangle is at 12 oclock. Wierd thing is I checked with scrolling and black screen and no misfires or green sparkles so I closed it up and put it back. I turned it on and went to dvr(att uverse)And put on lostgirl(sifi channel)and started to see pinkish red sparkles in there faces(sheesh).I was scrtching head no sparkles like that before just green and being that i just got done turning the yrr back, they shouldn't be there right? I have it on a differnt station now and there gone, maybe the tv wasnt warmed up. I never saw that before on that chanel

yes, that picture is sideways, my final Yrr arrow is 12 o'clock. After adjustment I would check using a good blu-ray source since cable/sat feeds can be misleading. You shouldn't see any misfires in normal material.
post #186 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM

It was the material zoyd, went back to lostgirl and saw it again. Zoyd what was your default position of the yrr. Zoyd I have the calibration disk from this site on my hard drive and when I attach the harddrive to tv and set the contrast and brightness I get different numbers then when I attach the ps3 to tv and harddrive to ps3. Do you know why that is and which numbers should I use.
post #187 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

yes, that picture is sideways, my final Yrr arrow is 12 o'clock. After adjustment I would check using a good blu-ray source since cable/sat feeds can be misleading. You shouldn't see any misfires in normal material.

May I ask where was the original position of your Yrr before finalizing at 12 o'clock? Just curious how much you had to turn to get your result.
post #188 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

ok just got done putting tv back together. the little triangle arrow on the vrr was at bout 10 on a clock I turned it clockwise about to the 1 on a clock after that got bad pink misfires all over my left on the tv. Everything looked good on the scroll bar, so put tv back together and put it back up. Now for the problem when I put the tv in letterbox the side bars are darker but there are green dancing pixels in the side bars more like green sparkles. It not from the bightness or contrast too high, thats different its more like how the lg's from a few years back had the green sparkles. What do I need to do zoyd?

edit... If I put it on an input thats not pluged in, the all black screen has those green sparkles on the top half

Hello, kanpol, you need to tweak your YRR pot further, back it off till all the green sparkles disappear on a full field black pattern. I set my YRR pot to where it looks like a ton of missfires and then back it off, next it appears as you mentioned, missfires in the black bars and if you keep backing it off , then they get smaller and on my set move to the top right corner. I continue to back off some more and then all i can see is white pixels firing around here and there, very random and very faint with the nose up close to the set. Once it's at this point I stop turning the pot.
post #189 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa25 View Post

May I ask where was the original position of your Yrr before finalizing at 12 o'clock? Just curious how much you had to turn to get your result.

sorry, that picture is the original position. The final position was ~1:30 (1/8 turn CW)
post #190 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Heya hungro how ya doin, I actually did that. The 1st time I turned it(yrr) I was only checking the scrolling pattern(not the all black screen). So when I got all the pink misfires out of it, I put it back together. Turned on the tv and when the black screen came up lots of green sparkles on top half of screen(covered most of it) and on the black side bars(tvs leftside only right was fine). I opened it up again last night and backed off the yrr from 1 to 12(clock numbers) and all green sparkle were gone. My arrow started at between 10and 11, not 12 like zoyds(always thought my tvs black were a little high). My black screen still glows alittle but when black is on screen it blends into the sidebars. I have it on default movie mode at the moment(had to go into sm)and it looks better then before. Hungro do you think I should open it up again and give it a little turn and then leave it so there are a little sparkles in the sidebars?
post #191 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 05:16 PM

My 51d550's default position was at around 9:10 my final yrr pot position after the tweak is at around 11:40.

@kanpol

You can tweak it a little bit more, then once you see any green dithering at an all black screen that does not get removed even by lowering the brightness then turn the pot back very slightly untill you are happy with the all black screen.
post #192 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 PM

joeoed little confused about 9:10 and 11:40. I was using the little black triangle as the reference point. does 9:10 mean a little above where the 9 would be and 11:40 means a little more then inbetween the 11 and 12?

what were using to turn yours and did you keep the tv on
post #193 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

sorry, that picture is the original position. The final position was ~1:30 (1/8 turn CW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoed View Post

My 51d550's default position was at around 9:10 my final yrr pot position after the tweak is at around 11:40.

I see. I was wondering because mine was already past 1/4 turn and I still didn't see any 'pink sparkles'... until the next few turns (started at 11, now at past 2). It took me long time adjusting in small portions because I kept turning the unit off (to adjust) and on (to test). When I got zoyd's reply that some were adjusting with the TV on, adjusting took only a couple of seconds Though I haven't closed it up yet, as I want to test further before putting back all those screws.
post #194 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:

joeoed little confused about 9:10 and 11:40. I was using the little black triangle as the reference point. does 9:10 mean a little above where the 9 would be and 11:40 means a little more then inbetween the 11 and 12?

what were using to turn yours and did you keep the tv on

Allow me to reply for joedoed, in advance, as he helped me also with these questions, and in other ways too.
1. Yes, those are w/ reference to the time, with the triangle as pointer.
2. He used a short metal driver, but wrapped it with electrical tape. He also turned off/unplugged the TV when adjusting, then ON to test.... cycle repeated until he was satisfied.

He may chime in later to provide more details.
post #195 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM

thats about where I ended up too originally, but only checked the scrolling bar, so make sure you check an all black screen and letterbox because I had a lot of green sparkles(not the dithering ones). So had to remove all them screws again. Do your sidebars blend in with the bezel now after the adjustment
post #196 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:

thats about where I ended up too originally, but only checked the scrolling bar, so make sure you check an all black screen and letterbox because I had a lot of green sparkles(not the dithering ones). So had to remove all them screws again. Do your sidebars blend in with the bezel now after the adjustment

What's funny is when I was still adjusting, I also got those green dithering on the whole screen on a black image and it didn't disappear no matter how much I backed up Yrr, even to as low as 12 o'clock (from starting position of 11). I then changed my input on my TV from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and it disappeared. So now I'm using HDMI 2 input and ended up at around 2 o'clock. Hope my HDMI port didn't get messed up
post #197 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM

i think i used hdmi 4 since that was the one I had my uverse hooked up too. I didnt have any hdmi plugged in though since I did it on the kitchen table. I wonder if that makes a difference. Should I do it with the hdmi plugged in from source?
post #198 of 395 Old 03-16-2012, 11:41 PM

@zoyd, what problem do you foresee if I leave my setting the way it is now, even if a few and 'infrequent' pink sparkles appear in the scrolling pattern?

I finalized my setting last night (no more pink sparkles showed up on scrolling pattern and dither on black image). I then continued observation/testing today and after several cycles on scrolling pattern, I decided to close the back. Lo and behold, after putting back all screws, putting back all cables, testing the connections, and playing the scrolling pattern, a saw a few pink sparkles, but this showed up for only a short while. I kept replaying the scrolling pattern and saw it only once or twice. Are these sparkles probably more predominant when the unit is still cold? How safe/advisable it is to leave it this way? Or should I re-open and readjust?

FWIW, an observation for those about to setup this tweak, I observed the pink sparkles appeared more when set to Dynamic than Movie.
post #199 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 AM

I redid mine earlier and now I'm seeing pinkinsh sparkles but only in light greyish areas. I had a wierd accurance though. In black side bars no green sparkles but if I went to pc to see an all black screen had sparkles on tv right hand side not a lot but still they were there. I then went to where my hdmi was pluged in and unpluged it, on that black screen no sparkles. The sparkles I saw on the pc input would not go away I even set the yrr all they back even farther then were it was in the beganing. So I just set it back to 12 where it was after 1st adjustment. When watching uverse I started to see those sparkles on the faces again(light tan).Thinking it might be the source, I plugged in my harddrive to the tv and checked the breakin images. I see pinkish red dancing sparkles on light grey and the greyish white colors. The black and white pattern are fine and so is the scrolling no sparkles. Wonder why.
post #200 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 03:10 AM

My color accuracy were gone because of the green sparkles. I had a green tint in shadows and a little banding. Also magenta was a bit much and the overall saturation looked to much, like a sunburn (not as dramatic as it sounds).

I tested the troubleshoot picture (the beach pic) and could see some missfiring in the upper right. I don't had any missfire on any other pattern or image. So this is a good test.
I reopened again and find out that "Ve" depends on "Vs". When Vs is at 207 Ve is at 80, when Vs is at 201 Ve drops to 77. So I put my Ve back there it was before tweaking. I now have my colors back with this setting:
Vs=203
Ve=78
Va=58
Vsc=-182
Yrr at about 00:30 to 00:45

I had another strange thing than I turned Yrr. When I turned counter clockwise I got white sparkles (maybe missfire) on a black picture. So my Yrr position is now the lowest mll I get without any sparkles or dithering in any direction.
post #201 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The color accuracy on my display in both gray scale and color material was perfect before the voltage/timing adjustment and is perfect now. I made extensive measurements of these and confirmed visually. I did not have to do any special adjustments of voltage levels. The tweak only effects mll (by lowering the pre-discharge energy) and the probability of misfires, it does not affect the luminance of colors. Calibration results below.

post #202 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Maybe it's something with the bad D6900 sets or maybe had something to do with different ABL activity before and after the tweak.
When I use the Burosch test pattern for contrast the grey rectangles on a white background were greenish with the wrong voltage/timing.

Edit:

Ehm, after I put my set back together, it is again over saturated. I didn't change anything in the settings. The only thing different is that all 3 HDMI cables are on, as it was open I only had my PS3 on. How is this possible?
post #203 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 09:33 AM

soopermario, I checked that beach picture and mine looks fine, no sparkles in the scrolling either and no green sparkles on black screen. Colors look right also. I just get dancing sparkles on certain faces( slightly tan ones) I thought it was att uverse but when I hooked my harddrive to tv and watched movie the same, I still have to hook up the ps3 and watch a bluray to see if it occurs. I cant see it from more then 3 to 4 feet away or normal viewing condition and blacks look better(still faint glow) but better so I'm gonna leave it for now.
post #204 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:

soopermario, I checked that beach picture and mine looks fine, no sparkles in the scrolling either and no green sparkles on black screen. Colors look right also. I just get dancing sparkles on certain faces( slightly tan ones) I thought it was att uverse but when I hooked my harddrive to tv and watched movie the same, I still have to hook up the ps3 and watch a bluray to see if it occurs. I cant see it from more then 3 to 4 feet away or normal viewing condition and blacks look better(still faint glow) but better so I'm gonna leave it for now.

Getting ready to tweak mine for the third time.
post #205 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Heya hungro how ya doin, I actually did that. The 1st time I turned it(yrr) I was only checking the scrolling pattern(not the all black screen). So when I got all the pink misfires out of it, I put it back together. Turned on the tv and when the black screen came up lots of green sparkles on top half of screen(covered most of it) and on the black side bars(tvs leftside only right was fine). I opened it up again last night and backed off the yrr from 1 to 12(clock numbers) and all green sparkle were gone. My arrow started at between 10and 11, not 12 like zoyds(always thought my tvs black were a little high). My black screen still glows alittle but when black is on screen it blends into the sidebars. I have it on default movie mode at the moment(had to go into sm)and it looks better then before. Hungro do you think I should open it up again and give it a little turn and then leave it so there are a little sparkles in the sidebars?

Hi, I think that you should leave it as is. Enjoy the new black level
post #206 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbm30 View Post

Getting ready to tweak mine for the third time.

I have mine set at about 12:10. Blacks are better. Watching the cave scene on iron man and I can now see more details without the picture blending in with the black bars. And it day.
post #207 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 PM

So, I don't know why on my set the saturation is higher when I put the back of TV back on, but now after correcting the voltage/timing I have no longer wrong colors. They are just right now and I think I just did getting used to the dull image I had before. With saturation at 45 in standard mode and 48 in film mode I now see for the first time how this set should look like. I can now look even with the sun shining through the window from the side on the TV. My contrast is now high enough to accept the not optimal blacklevel.

So everyone with poor image quality try the "Type" 51DFHcD or 59DFHcD in the SM! Maybe you can leave the ADC-Values default with this type-setting.
post #208 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM

soopermario what tv do you have(forgot sorry) on type mine is 51DSaRD
and remeber reading, in the 7000 & 8000 calibration settings thread, that Larryini said it should be xxDScRD. Wonder what it actually stands for?
post #209 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

soopermario what tv do you have(forgot sorry) on type mine is 51DSaRD
and remeber reading, in the 7000 & 8000 calibration settings thread, that Larryini said it should be xxDScRD. Wonder what it actually stands for?

I never said anything about your model TV. I only spoke about the D7000 and D8000. You do not have one of these models.

Larry
post #210 of 395 Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 PM

I'm sorry Larry I thought because avidhiker had the same number coming up as mine that it was for the 7000 and down, my bad I apologize for that.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page