Any hope of getting a non-buzzing Samsung 59D7000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After seeing that a few of the awesome users of this forum had finally put together a fix for the fluctuating brightness problem that had plagued the 2011 Samsung plasmas, I rushed out and bought a 54D7000.

After getting it set up it's by far the best picture I've ever had on a TV screen - coming from my Panasonic PZ85U I'm just in awe of the difference in PQ.

With that said, I am getting an incredibly annoying buzz that is killing all quiet scenes. I sit approximately 8-9 feet from the screen and I'm not sure I'll be able to live with this noise, so I'm thinking of calling BB and having them come pick up the set. I'd love to exchange it for another one but I'm worried that I will have this exact problem with the next set. Does anyone know if it's very likely that the next set will have the exact same issue? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have a (relatively) silent D7000? Would really like to have Best Buy come and swap it out but I don't want it to have the same issue.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 AM

Liked: 10
I'm currently awaiting mine for delivery. I'm hoping mine isn't a bad buzzer. HOWEVER, I do know that plasmas are supposed to buzz in general. I think it comes down to whether or not you can take it. I firmly believe that one person hears a buzz on their set coming from an LCD or something, think its not supposed to buzz and post it on the complain-er-net. Then when someone who's been frequenting these forums hears a normal buzz, they post saying their set is defective. Plasmas are supposed to buzz. Period.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

All I know is that my 46 inch Panasonic plasma is pretty much silent as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure if it's the size, brand, or the combination of the two but the Samsung is very obvious from where I sit. I'd love to exchange it to see if the next set is a bit quieter but I'm not sure what the likelihood is of that.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM

My GUESS is that you have about a 1 in 4 chance of getting a relatively quiet 59d7000... I have been reading a lot about these tv:s, and I own a 59d7005 myself (it buzzes, but I decided to keep it any way because of the difficulty to get a quiet one, and otherwise it´s great) and it seems as though it´s really a matter of luck if you manage to get a quiet one.
The thing with the buzz is, it´s really directional. I usually don´t sit staright in front of the tv, so 90% of the time, it isn´t a problem.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mine buzzes...is very directional and if I reposition myself 4" down or the tv 4" up, no buzz.

I liken it to the camera projector whirring away in a theatre.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Your pz85 has the double pane glass and the thicker panel. These new thin sets seem to have more buzzers than back in 2008. Samsung is known for their laser zap, transformer buzzer sets. Some have real bad directional buzzing some do not. Since you are hearing it from 8-9 feet it is defective and you will never be satisfied with the set. Have BB swap it out until you get one that is not a buzzer.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 AM
RSN

New 64D8000 owner here. I have a set that buzzes too. I sit 14' away and it is definitely audible during quieter scenes. I could probably get used to it, but the wife cannot. Going back to BB today to discuss options. Seems this may be a something we have to accept for the great PQ

RSN
post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Super loud directional buzzing is NOT something anyone should have to live with. ive owned 2 loud buzzers and 2 silent sets. its a widespread misconception that all plasmas buzz loud enough to hear all the way across the room. they're not supposed to do that.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by serial_carpens View Post

ive owned 2 loud buzzers and 2 silent sets.

Were all 4 the exact same model?

Based on Amazon reviews, you will find many people who exchanged for buzzing, only to find the replacement had the exact same buzz. It's probably a waste of time exchanging for the exact same model and expecting any improvement.

If you can't work around it either by moving the set or your seating, you should probably return and buy something else. I agree it sucks. I owned a PN64D7000 for about a month before returning because I just couldn't get used to the buzzing. I just didn't believe there was any point in exchanging it.

You might consider the Panasonic 60ST30. I found their buzzing was lower in general unless displaying a full white screen (in which case it was about same as the Samsung). Colors are a bit worse, lower brightness, but much better blacks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page