new Dlp or keep Plasma - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 108 Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Augerhandle, you make a fair case. As a plasma buyer and "recommender" for the last several years, I'll at least give the newer DLPs a second look and possibly recommend them to friends/family if the situation might warrant it. Good job. smile.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 06-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My only beef with DLP is 1:1 pixel mapping on screen or overscan. I am a gamer (as are my kids) and the 50" i had (bought in 07 which still works and has over 12000 hours before i sold it, on the original bulb) had about 5% overscan i think. There was no way to fix it. There was a setting in the service menu, but it only helped the vertical overscan. Now I do not know if things have changed, but if you play games, overscan hides you health bar, current weapon, pole position etc.

Hope that helps in your decision making.
post #93 of 108 Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just sold my 55" Mits CRT RPTV that had too much overscan(not sure the % but it cut off half the time on the top right of the new DirecTV HD guide)..never cut anything off for any game I ever played. OS would have to be off the charts for that. CRT seems to be best for gaming, never noticed any lag and no motion blur or anything. I have a Mits 82740 that's supposed to arrive M or T. I'll admit I do love RP, have always loved the picture and think LED and Plasma look bad compared to it. My 2004 1080i CRT RPTV calibrated looks better than any LED or plasma I've seen(granted I probably haven't seen one of those calibrated, I doubt I know anyone who has ever heard of TV calibration).

Maybe I'm just used to it because I've been watching RP so long, but to me they give the most realistic PQ. LED's are horrid(I know this applies to no one here really). A still picture looks cool, but fake..but if it's not paused and there's motion it takes me out of whatever is showing. I do like plasmas, I may buy one for the bedroom soon. This is the one situation where I'd like to mount a TV on the wall. I never have liked watching TV in bed, it's uncomfortable to me. But if I mount it high on the opposite wall I can actually lay on my back and watch if it's on the wall near the ceiling. Right on.

As for the perceived negatives of DLP, for me, well they just don't affect me. Not being thin, well I'm a function over form guy about everything. A TV being thin does nothing for me. I'm not going to hang my main TV on the wall. It will sit on the same stand an LED or Plasma would. A DLP is thicker, but not necessarily heavier. Viewing angles.. I don't care, I'm going to watch it centered anyway. And even on my old CRT RPTV viewing angles weren't a problem watching from a side position. New DLP viewing angles seem pretty great. As far as pure PQ, like I said I happen to like it best of all current tech. And I want a big TV. 65" or even 70" ain't gonna cut it for my main viewing area. And since I want a big picture, prefer the look of RP picture over fixed panel, and with huge DLP's being cheaper than good fixed panels that have half the screen real estate, my recent TV purchase decision was a no-brainer.
post #94 of 108 Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Augerhandle, you make a fair case. As a plasma buyer and "recommender" for the last several years, I'll at least give the newer DLPs a second look and possibly recommend them to friends/family if the situation might warrant it. Good job. smile.gif

You might not be doing your friends and family any kind of favor. Mitsubishi tvs are at the bottom of the barrel for reliability. Lots of breakdowns and long, long repair times.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244561/hdtv_reliability_and_satisfaction_lg_is_the_brand_to_beat.html
post #95 of 108 Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

All TVs, plasma, DLP and LCD included, will have pop if set up properly. That's why people pay to have their sets calibrated.. The word "pop" properly refers to a certain 3D-ness to the 2D picture. When grayscale is set correctly, foreground images "pop" from the background.
Unfortunately, some people think that the overly bright and unnaturally saturated picture from an improperly set up LCD is "pop" (other TVs appear to look "washed out" in comparison). Some people prefer that, and that is fine, but once you get used to the realness of a properly set up picture you begin to understand and really appreciate the difference.
As to your question, yes, a DLP with the Clear Contrast screen can produce a higher contrast, brighter picture than the 740 series. Just remember that there is such a thing as too bright, and the contrast control should usually be set between halfway and three-quarters of the maximum.
A month ago, I did a quick grayscale calibration of my friend's WD-73840 (normal screen), and the pop was excellent. I did it at night while he was sleeping, and my friend noticed the difference immediately the next morning and commented on how "lifelike" and "real" the picture is now.

Thanks, but is there much difference in your opinion between the WD-82840 & the Laservue A94? They both have the clear contrast screen, but I'm wondering, in your opinion, if there's much difference between these two?
post #96 of 108 Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I was personally "content" with the picture, until my wife started pointing out the "poppiness" of Blu-rays like "Planet Earth" & "Life". I personally wouldn't change a thing if I only used it for gaming, or as has been stated by others here, if they prefer that "cinema" look. My other gripe is that the picture will change if I either sit upright, or slouch down on the couch. I realize that I'm probably sitting too close to the tv, but I don't want to sit farther away and have the tv itself look smaller. I'm hoping the Laservue solves those issues for me?
post #97 of 108 Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Contrary to some people's opinion there still is a market for DLPs. I am a perfect example.

I bought the 60st30 a few months ago for my living room and its been nothing short of perfect for us. The picture, 3d, and internet features are all top notch. However, I also have a basement where I wanted something larger for movies and sports. At first I was looking at the sharp 80" but then stumbled onto the mitsubishi 92840. I went to a local store to look at it and was pleasently surprised. The colors are more accurate and the size/price ratio is unbeatable. I did find the reflectivity to be worse than the panasonic but could be due to the size difference.

I also had a mitsubishi 4:3 RPTV from 1999 sitting in my basement bc the previous homeowners left it. To me being used to panasonic 1080p plasmas it was unwatchable. This is where I think a lot of people develop bias, where they compare old RPTVs to new plasmas/lcds. I suggest if you want an unbiased view check it out yourself at a frys, hhgregg, pauls, or whatever else you have near you.

IMO, plasmas are better 42-65" but if you want value and a true larger than life TV it has to be Mitsubishi. Don't get me wrong though, if I could get a 100" panasonic for less than $4,500 I'll jump on it, but I'll be waiting a LONG time for that.
post #98 of 108 Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 PM

Guess I didn't hit quote..but I'm replying to "I was personally "content" with the picture, until my wife started pointing out the "poppiness" of Blu-rays like "Planet Earth" & "Life". I personally wouldn't change a thing if I only used it for gaming, or as has been stated by others here, if they prefer that "cinema" look. My other gripe is that the picture will change if I either sit upright, or slouch down on the couch. I realize that I'm probably sitting too close to the tv, but I don't want to sit farther away and have the tv itself look smaller. I'm hoping the Laservue solves those issues for me?"

I have an 82740 and If I sit up straight, slouch, or recline about a foot lower I can't tell a difference in the picture. It also has as extreme viewing angles as any TV I've seen. IMO angle of view is no longer an issue for rear projection. I tested looking at it from different heights and angles and couldn't tell. I just watched John Carter on Blu-Ray and even with a lamp that isn't broken in and only done a few WOW adjustments the PQ looks better than my sister's 65" Sharp LED even with my viewing position closer than the 65".
post #99 of 108 Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My 61" Sammy DLP from '07 is a great TV... in fact it blows away ALL of the LED's i have seen including the Sony Bravia 850 I had for a few weeks and exchanged it for a Panny gt50 60" Plasma.. which blows away the DLP in all area's.. altho the DLP is still a great TV and thats saying something .. because it is better than all of the LED's that I have seen... but my Panny Plasma is just at another level entirely... everything is more crisp, clear , better blacks etc.. the Plasma wins.. but before I bought the Panny Plasma,, the DLP was graet,,, better than all of the LCD'S AND LED'S by far!!!!

smile.gif
post #100 of 108 Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 AM

Liked: 35
I'm surprised the laservue doesn't get more respect in an enthusiasts' forum. It's the number one TV in Ukraine. 'Nuff said.
post #101 of 108 Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

Guess I didn't hit quote..but I'm replying to "I was personally "content" with the picture, until my wife started pointing out the "poppiness" of Blu-rays like "Planet Earth" & "Life". I personally wouldn't change a thing if I only used it for gaming, or as has been stated by others here, if they prefer that "cinema" look. My other gripe is that the picture will change if I either sit upright, or slouch down on the couch. I realize that I'm probably sitting too close to the tv, but I don't want to sit farther away and have the tv itself look smaller. I'm hoping the Laservue solves those issues for me?"
I have an 82740 and If I sit up straight, slouch, or recline about a foot lower I can't tell a difference in the picture. It also has as extreme viewing angles as any TV I've seen. IMO angle of view is no longer an issue for rear projection. I tested looking at it from different heights and angles and couldn't tell. I just watched John Carter on Blu-Ray and even with a lamp that isn't broken in and only done a few WOW adjustments the PQ looks better than my sister's 65" Sharp LED even with my viewing position closer than the 65".

LOL - sit about 3 feet away from it and you'll see what I mean (see highlight above). When I say that the picture changes, I specifically mean the brightness/lighting quality of the picture. As I previously stated, I know one isn't meant to sit that close to this screen. However, I enjoy sitting up close (specifically when gaming) since I feel more "immersed" in the tv (my own little Imax if you will). IMO it's just a big difference (and more enjoyable to me) than sitting 10-12 feet away. The farther away I sit, the smaller the tv gets, and although we're just talking inches here, there's a reason why the sizes made and sold are usually only 4-5 inches in difference between sets. If I have to sit a certain distance to be able to enjoy this set, then it just isn't for me. I might as well get a smaller set and sit closer.
post #102 of 108 Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick7 View Post

LOL - sit about 3 feet away from it and you'll see what I mean (see highlight above). When I say that the picture changes, I specifically mean the brightness/lighting quality of the picture. As I previously stated, I know one isn't meant to sit that close to this screen. However, I enjoy sitting up close (specifically when gaming) since I feel more "immersed" in the tv (my own little Imax if you will). IMO it's just a big difference (and more enjoyable to me) than sitting 10-12 feet away. The farther away I sit, the smaller the tv gets, and although we're just talking inches here, there's a reason why the sizes made and sold are usually only 4-5 inches in difference between sets. If I have to sit a certain distance to be able to enjoy this set, then it just isn't for me. I might as well get a smaller set and sit closer.

Sounds like you need 4k resolution, no 82" 1080p tv is going to look good from 3ft.
post #103 of 108 Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:

OK I admit I haven't tested at 3 feet because I can't imagine sitting that close and searing my retinas. I sit about 8 feet from the 82" for gaming. Gaming is different for me I can't play unless I'm sitting up straight on the edge of my seat. So at 8 feet I don't slouch or lay lower. But at 9-10 feet no change in brightness whether I sit on a couch, on the floor, or stand up. I can't imagine how you could tell what was happening on a really big screen(or any non-really small size) at 3 feet..you'd have to jerk your head side to side. And I don't think any BIG TV is going to look sharp that close. If you got a smaller set and sat closer..well it's all relative I don't see the point. I don't see how you could get closer to a smaller TV without bumping your nose on the screen.
post #104 of 108 Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

OK I admit I haven't tested at 3 feet because I can't imagine sitting that close and searing my retinas. I sit about 8 feet from the 82" for gaming. Gaming is different for me I can't play unless I'm sitting up straight on the edge of my seat. So at 8 feet I don't slouch or lay lower. But at 9-10 feet no change in brightness whether I sit on a couch, on the floor, or stand up. I can't imagine how you could tell what was happening on a really big screen(or any non-really small size) at 3 feet..you'd have to jerk your head side to side. And I don't think any BIG TV is going to look sharp that close. If you got a smaller set and sat closer..well it's all relative I don't see the point. I don't see how you could get closer to a smaller TV without bumping your nose on the screen.

Wow! Then you must have sensitive retinas and a really big nose. wink.gif I just measured by viewing distance and I was incorrect when I estimated 3 feet. My correct viewing distance is 4-5 feet (depending whether I lean in while gaming), still not much difference though. I've never seen anyone in a tv store stand more than 5 feet away when looking over one of these big screens and as you say, having to jerk their head from side to side. Now you're just being ridiculous. Actually both my 5 year old Sammy lcd and the 82740 (just not as good) look pretty great when watching Blu-Rays, and specifically, I or any of my friends/family find no difference between the two when gaming. However, they do notice the differences I have mentioned before, hence my original question as to if anyone here actually knew if there was much difference between the WD-82840 & the Laservue A94 in regards to the more vivid/shinier/glossy colors since they both have the clear contrast screen, but one using lasers, while the other uses a lamp. It'd be really useful if someone could answer that question instead of criticizing other people's personal preferences. rolleyes.gif
post #105 of 108 Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Still isn't worth a dime.

Well, I had a 2006 Sammy DLP 56" and served me well for close to 6 years. Good quality TV's above 50" we're still a bit pricey back then.

But, I got a PN60E7000 about 10'days ago and love it. I took a brief glance at the new Mitsubishi DLP's and the price for a 73" model was attractive, the picture on the 60" Sammy plasma was just superior.

DLP still a good bet for front projectors I believe.
post #106 of 108 Old 07-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

You won't. For good reason. DLP won't ever make it in today's market. It's to dated tech and too craptastic for makers to bother trying to make a better DLP set. DLP is good for one thing only. Trash cans. Or compactors. Your choice.

Just taking a wild guess here but I think you hate DLP.

Like I said, just a wild guess. wink.gif
post #107 of 108 Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Quote:

You might not be doing your friends and family any kind of favor. Mitsubishi tvs are at the bottom of the barrel for reliability. Lots of breakdowns and long, long repair times.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244561/hdtv_reliability_and_satisfaction_lg_is_the_brand_to_beat.html

from your link:
Quote:
It's important to note that our survey results don't necessarily reflect the opinions of a given company's customers as a whole.

A disclaimer that makes the entire article nothing but fluff.

They go on:
Quote:
...And because our data comes only from PCWorld readers who chose to take part in the survey, our results don't necessarily reflect the opinions of PCWorld readers in general.

Which means it reflects only a percentage of readers of their "magazine", who reflect only a very small percentage of people in general, so it doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of many people at all, except maybe "computer geeks who enjoy taking surveys".

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #108 of 108 Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

...hence my original question as to if anyone here actually knew if there was much difference between the WD-82840 & the Laservue A94 in regards to the more vivid/shinier/glossy colors since they both have the clear contrast screen, but one using lasers, while the other uses a lamp. It'd be really useful if someone could answer that question instead of criticizing other people's personal preferences...

"More vivid/shinier/glossy" color is not equivalent to realistic and true to life. TVs are built to meet industry standard references for accurate color. All sets are adjustable, which requires a range of control to make up for tolerances and aging of components. That doesn't mean that cranking the settings is correct, just as a car's speedometer may go to 120, but that doesn't mean that the car is intended to be driven that fast.

Of course you are welcome to your own opinion, and can adjust your TV however you want. It's called "preference over reference". For your preference, any LCD will do, as they can be set to be overly bright with oversaturated and inaccurate colors quite easily.

As for the WD-82840 and LaserVue L75-A94, they are both quite capable of a "reference" quality picture. The benefit of the lasers are longivity vs a single lamp model (though I don't see any monetary advantage there yet), and the "green" aspect of no mercury lamp and less power consumption.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page