I'm at wits end: I bought a lemon Plasma. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On black friday I bought a 51" Samsung PN51D530A3. About 35 days later, TV completely died, refused to power on. I called BestBuy and they said that because it was after 30 days, to refer to the manufacturer's warranty. So I call Samsung, they tell me the repairman will call within 48 hours. I wait a week, and nothing. I call Samsung back, explain that the repairman never contacted me, they said they will setup a new appointment. The repairman never calls me. A week later, I setup an appointment online, thinking that might be different. No dice. It's now been 3 weeks that I've had a broken TV, so I called up BestBuy and bitched at them, and they promised to send a guy to repair the TV.

The guy calls me and tells me it will take 10 days to order the part, and sets up a repair appointment. I get one of those "12-4" repair times, so I take a half day off work to babysit the guy, and of course he shows up at like 5:30. He works on the TV for about 20 minutes, then goes "hmmm, I didn't bring the right part. I'll need to order a different part." So he sets up an appointment for me for 10 days later, and again I take a half day off work, and this time he doesn't even show up! He calls about 30 minutes after my appointment window and says "Oh yeah sorry I can't find the part I ordered, I don't know where they put it. I'll have to reorder, that will be another 10 days."

At this point I'm livid, I planned on going into BestBuy after work and demanding a full cash refund for the lemon of a TV they sold me that has been broken for over a month now. I check around online, for some user reviews of the TV. Of course, on Amazon the TV has like 45% 1 star reviews, everyone seems to have my same problem. Thankfully the guy actually calls back, says he has the panel and is on his way to my place. I head home, he installs the panel, and it works beautifully. I watch the Super Bowl with 20-30 of my friends on my beautiful HD TV! Jubilation! Ecstacy! I was totally forgetful of my painful experience and was just happy to have my TV back.

Now it's a week later. I've got my computer plugged into my TV and I'm surfing the net, when all of a sudden I see this: (See attached, I'm not a spammer blah blah"

Since that image is a little hard to see, its basically two lines of pixels that are "stuck" white. Look at the first and last S in smartphones. I use the word "stuck" in quotes, because its not really stuck. It's like two lines of white static, that completely disappear on a dark black screen, as seen in the second photo.

I'm not even mad any more, I'm just defeated. At least this time I can watch TV while I wait for a month while BestBuy and Samsung fight over who is going to fix it. This is easily the most expensive single item I've ever purchased, since I consider my home built computer to be made of several cheaper parts. I've just never been burned so bad by a purchase.

Does anyone have any advice? Do you think BestBuy would give me a full cash refund even past the 30 days? Should I just suck it up and get it repaired, and hope it doesn't break again?
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Wow! I got mad just reading that. Hopefully they will give you some satisfaction on account of the lemon and ineptness of that repair guy. You may have to move up the chain but don't be swayed.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Wow! I got mad just reading that. They should refund your money or let you get something else. You may have to move up the chain but don't be swayed.

Good advice, when I call I'm going to ask to speak to someone a little higher up than their front line customer service representative.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Try it with a different input source and make sure it's not a faulty video card
Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Who exactly sent the repair person .. BB or Samsung .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
And this is why I would never buy a Samsung display without an EW (or even better, choose another brand).
Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 354
The best thing to do is find a good authorized Samsung repair facility in your area (check with the BBB) and call them directly. They will deal with Samsung and the warranty.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

And this is why I would never buy a Samsung display without an EW (or even better, choose another brand).

Amen! After going through three rounds with Samsung customer service for three different sets, I will never buy another. Horrible build quality and customer service.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesejaguar View Post

On black friday I bought a 51" Samsung PN51D530A3. About 35 days later, TV completely died, refused to power on. I called BestBuy and they said that because it was after 30 days, to refer to the manufacturer's warranty. So I call Samsung, they tell me the repairman will call within 48 hours. I wait a week, and nothing. I call Samsung back, explain that the repairman never contacted me, they said they will setup a new appointment. The repairman never calls me. A week later, I setup an appointment online, thinking that might be different. No dice. It's now been 3 weeks that I've had a broken TV, so I called up BestBuy and bitched at them, and they promised to send a guy to repair the TV.

The guy calls me and tells me it will take 10 days to order the part, and sets up a repair appointment. I get one of those "12-4" repair times, so I take a half day off work to babysit the guy, and of course he shows up at like 5:30. He works on the TV for about 20 minutes, then goes "hmmm, I didn't bring the right part. I'll need to order a different part." So he sets up an appointment for me for 10 days later, and again I take a half day off work, and this time he doesn't even show up! He calls about 30 minutes after my appointment window and says "Oh yeah sorry I can't find the part I ordered, I don't know where they put it. I'll have to reorder, that will be another 10 days."

At this point I'm livid, I planned on going into BestBuy after work and demanding a full cash refund for the lemon of a TV they sold me that has been broken for over a month now. I check around online, for some user reviews of the TV. Of course, on Amazon the TV has like 45% 1 star reviews, everyone seems to have my same problem. Thankfully the guy actually calls back, says he has the panel and is on his way to my place. I head home, he installs the panel, and it works beautifully. I watch the Super Bowl with 20-30 of my friends on my beautiful HD TV! Jubilation! Ecstacy! I was totally forgetful of my painful experience and was just happy to have my TV back.

Now it's a week later. I've got my computer plugged into my TV and I'm surfing the net, when all of a sudden I see this: (See attached, I'm not a spammer blah blah"

Since that image is a little hard to see, its basically two lines of pixels that are "stuck" white. Look at the first and last S in smartphones. I use the word "stuck" in quotes, because its not really stuck. It's like two lines of white static, that completely disappear on a dark black screen, as seen in the second photo.

I'm not even mad any more, I'm just defeated. At least this time I can watch TV while I wait for a month while BestBuy and Samsung fight over who is going to fix it. This is easily the most expensive single item I've ever purchased, since I consider my home built computer to be made of several cheaper parts. I've just never been burned so bad by a purchase.

Does anyone have any advice? Do you think BestBuy would give me a full cash refund even past the 30 days? Should I just suck it up and get it repaired, and hope it doesn't break again?

Did you pay Cash or Visa Or Amex?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I don't see how the vendor is at fault here. They did what the manufacturer couldn't, answer the phone and get someone to the house. I would be fuming with Samsung to get their lazy arses off the chair take the lemon back and issue you a credit or upgrade at no charge. Most vendors won't take something back at all, charge a restocking fee or force you to take an open item as an exchange.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

If you paid by Visa, you have Chargeback rights. I don't know about Amex though...

Being that it is still within 120 days of when you bought it, just call up your credit card company and tell them what's been going on. Tell them it is quality of the merchandise. Make sure you have everything documented. Appointment times, times you have called Samsung, etc. It is possible that they might require some kind of estimate of what it would cost to fix the TV, just because it is a quality issue, and not a buyer's remorse, or merchandise not received.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial_carpens View Post

Try it with a different input source and make sure it's not a faulty video card

It shows up even on the TV menu, and the scrolling "burn in repair".
Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Who exactly sent the repair person .. BB or Samsung .. ??

BestBuy sent someone from GeekSquad. Samsung never got back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I learned the hard way :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

The best thing to do is find a good authorized Samsung repair facility in your area (check with the BBB) and call them directly. They will deal with Samsung and the warranty.

Ian

I'm going to give them a call today, and see what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Visa Debit -> Cash. Unfortunately.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesejaguar View Post

Visa Debit -> Cash. Unfortunately.

I worked in retail many-a-year-ago. One thing I learned; NEVER, NEVER, EVER pay for a big ticket item with cash/check/debit card...EVER!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpodolski View Post

I worked in retail many-a-year-ago. One thing I learned; NEVER, NEVER, EVER pay for a big ticket item with cash/check/debit card...EVER!

Unfortunately the TV was $711 OTD, and my credit limit at the time was $500. I spent a pretty long time without a credit card, because people wouldn't give me one because I didn't have any credit lol.