Value of a nonfunctioning Pioneer Elite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. On Craigslist there is a nonfunctioning Pioneer Elite 60" (I'm assuming it's a 151, but the owner doesn't know for sure yet). The owner says the glass and screen is perfectly fine. I didn't ask him what the malfunction was, but he said that when he was quoted for a repair, they told him it was going to be $700 to fix the TV.

Assuming that it is a 151, and the glass is ok, but not knowing exactly what's wrong with the TV, what is the value of this TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 522
It would be good to know exactly what the issue is as well as the exact model number .. don't know how a value could be placed without that info ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
At worst, it could actually be the cost of going to the landfill
At best, it could 1C for a resistor
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

mgkdragn
I don't know the exact model yet. And the owner doesn't know what the exact defect is, but he says that he was quoted at $700 for repair. So, you're right, there is a lot of missing information, but that's all I have to go on for now. I'll update the information as I get it.

So this question is just a pure guess. What would you pay for a 151 with good glass, but unspecified defect (that was quoted at $700 for repair, don't know if that's true or not).
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

mgkdragn
I don't know the exact model yet. And the owner doesn't know what the exact defect is, but he says that he was quoted at $700 for repair. So, you're right, there is a lot of missing information, but that's all I have to go on for now. I'll update the information as I get it.

So this question is just a pure guess. What would you pay for a 151 with good glass, but unspecified defect (that was quoted at $700 for repair, don't know if that's true or not).

If that's the one in Torrance going for $1,300 then personally i wouldn't buy it at all as a brand new/never used Kuro that needs a non-warranteed repair seems kind of sketchy. If it's a Kuro and is really only $700 to repair, i'd presume the owner would just spend the money to get it fixed as he could surely get a lot more than $2,000 for a working 60" Elite Kuro.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks randy. What you're saying makes a lot of sense
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 PM

Liked: 23
Tell him to donate it to you for a tax right off
jk
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

mgkdragn

If he was quoted a repair cost / then he must know what the repair would be .. and the model number is easy to find .. sounds like some kind of scam to me ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I think this was a total scam. the owner never got back to me about the model number or what the defect was. There was another 50" elite listed for $600, no model number and no response, also in torrance, I think it's the same guy.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page