Samsung HDMI Black Level - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I've had my PN59D550 for a while now and I love the picture (especially after fixing the brightness pops!). But I was wondering about the 'HDMI Black Level' setting. To watch movies I use my PS3 as a BluRay player or I put video files onto my Playbook and connect it through HDMI to the TV. Lately I've been watching the Harry Potter movies through my Playbook and I've noticed with the HDMI Black Level setting set to 'Low' I lose a ton of shadow detail and with HDMI Black Level setting set to 'Normal' the picture is completely washed out and blacks become grey. Also, when playing certain games through the PS3 it asks me to adjust the brightness through an on-screen slider bar - with certain games I can't even set it where it needs to be if the HDMI Black Level setting is set to Low (won't go bright enough) but again if i switch it to 'Normal' everything looks washed out.

Can someone please help me keep my blacks dark without losing shadow detail?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono61 View Post

Hey Guys,

I've had my PN59D550 for a while now and I love the picture (especially after fixing the brightness pops!). But I was wondering about the 'HDMI Black Level' setting. To watch movies I use my PS3 as a BluRay player or I put video files onto my Playbook and connect it through HDMI to the TV. Lately I've been watching the Harry Potter movies through my Playbook and I've noticed with the HDMI Black Level setting set to 'Low' I lose a ton of shadow detail and with HDMI Black Level setting set to 'Normal' the picture is completely washed out and blacks become grey. Also, when playing certain games through the PS3 it asks me to adjust the brightness through an on-screen slider bar - with certain games I can't even set it where it needs to be if the HDMI Black Level setting is set to Low (won't go bright enough) but again if i switch it to 'Normal' everything looks washed out.

Can someone please help me keep my blacks dark without losing shadow detail?

Thanks!

From what I remember HDMI black level low is for 16-235 sources while Normal is 0-255.

I'd recommend getting the AVS 709 disc, which can be downloaded here , to help you set brightness and contrast. Could help

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hey,

I've been doing some reading and you're definitely right - low is 16-235 and normal is 0-255. From what I understand, 16-235 is YCbCr and 0-255 is RGB. I also read that games should be RGB and movies should be YCbCr. I can force the PS3 to output RGB or YCbCr but this was set to 'Auto' before - and essentially should automatically output RGB (TV set to 'Normal') for games and output YCbCr (TV set to 'Low') for video. This didn't seem like it was happening as when playing games everything looks very washed out with the TV set to 'Normal' and the blacks get crushed when the TV is set to 'Low'. I'll mess with the settings some more tomorrow I guess.

Now, how would I set the TV for watching movies from my Playbook? I tried to find out if the HDMI out from the Playbook is sending 16-235 or 0-255 but I can't find that info anywhere (or a setting to switch it) and neither 'Normal' or 'Low' on the TV looks right.

I'll also definitely be downloading some calibration discs over the weekend.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Other way around, 16 235 is rgb. One way you can tell what's being fed to your tv is if its 0 255 you can't select normal or low. Would be greyed out. When its 16 235 you can select low/normal. Selecting normal when I'm outputting 16 235 seems to clip my blacks so I set it to low

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #5 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Are you sure? What I read here:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

Says that 0-255 is RGB and 16-135 is YCbCr.

So what you're saying is that if I am given the option between Low and Normal on the TV then the signal is 16-235 (YCbCr) and therefore should be set to Low. And that if the option is greyed out the signal is 0-255 (RGB)? When would the 'Normal' option ever be used?

If I am getting crushed blacks I can at least turn it to Normal to get my shadow detail back and then lower the TV brightness to try and get some black level back, but if the TV is set to Low I can't do much about the crushed blacks.

What does everyone else set this to?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If ur gaming on ps3 set rgb to limited, NOT FULL, and that should fix your problem. I had mine set to Full at first and had the same problem
Also, when switching from low to normal black level it will look washed out at first because of the extra saturation and contrast your getting from the crushed blacks, set to limited, set black level to normal... then thrown in Harry Potter and find a dark scene, adjust the brightness down until you begin to lose shadow detail and go back up a couple of clicks, that should get you in the ballpark, you also could get a calibration disk, good luck
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono61 View Post

Are you sure? What I read here:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

Says that 0-255 is RGB and 16-135 is YCbCr.

So what you're saying is that if I am given the option between Low and Normal on the TV then the signal is 16-235 (YCbCr) and therefore should be set to Low. And that if the option is greyed out the signal is 0-255 (RGB)? When would the 'Normal' option ever be used?

If I am getting crushed blacks I can at least turn it to Normal to get my shadow detail back and then lower the TV brightness to try and get some black level back, but if the TV is set to Low I can't do much about the crushed blacks.

What does everyone else set this to?

You know after reading that I'm not sure now lol. Excluding names Ill just say when you have 16-235 pick low lol. When its 0-255 pick normal

post #8 of 8 Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 AM

HTPC colours washed out unsharp for AMD APU Nvidia Hdmi 1.3 1.4 1.4a output Mini ITX or whatever

For colours to be accurate you have to set
1. Hdmi input of tv label to pc
2. Choose tv colour spacing bt. 709
3. set gamma on tv at maximum ,at least 2.35 for THX certification
4. Use YCbCr 4:4:4 on hdmi out
5. Calibrate all

Also madAVR settings has advanced calibration feature for TV's but dont touch colour profiles use BT 709
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page