On which TV would you spend $4000 today? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

What was it about the Sammy that attracted you the most, and what was it that led to your return?

Your goal should be to find whatever attracted you most to the D8000 with the least chance of suffering the problems that led to your return.

You mention that you want little or no sacrifice in "color vibrance" with better screen uniformity.

A plasma will give you all the color vibrance of the original source material. What it won't do is give you the exaggerated "pop" that your outgoing Samsung is capable of and may be what attracted you to that set most in the first place (forgive me if I'm wrong). A plasma is your best bet for screen uniformity and off-angle viewing, however.

If you want maximum "pop" you'll have to go with an LED/LCD. This leaves, imho, two choices within your max budget--The Sony 929 and one of the 70" Sharp 7xx models--the 735 being the only one with 3D capability.

Of those two sets the Sharp will have a little more "pop" but very slightly dim corners, mostly visible only with very bright backgrounds. It will be about 1400 less than the Sony and will do 3D a little better.

The 929 will have the best screen uniformity of the two, with deeper blacks due to it's local dimming (The Sharp is full backlit but without local dimming).

Steve, I'm leaning towards a projector now since what I want most are screen size and film quality. I don't recall exactly what attracted me to the Samsung, but I believe it was primarily the favorable reviews, feature set, and Samsung reputation. Any advice (or compare/contrast) on projectors vs. LED/plasma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
An led/plasma can be used as a regular tv in normal daytime ambient lighting, a projector requires a dark (think movie theater dark) room to perform at it's best, but you probably already knew that.

My sense is that with a dedicated theater room or other situation with total light control a projector would be the best solution for a really large screen movie theater-like experience, but for watching the Today show over your morning coffee in the family room a flat panel would be better.

Steve S.
post #33 of 53 Old 02-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G View Post

Steve, I'm leaning towards a projector now since what I want most are screen size and film quality. I don't recall exactly what attracted me to the Samsung, but I believe it was primarily the favorable reviews, feature set, and Samsung reputation. Any advice (or compare/contrast) on projectors vs. LED/plasma?

Once you see a projector you won't want to watch movies on any tv anymore.

A Panny AE7000 for 3K plus a decent screen might leave you a little change left over for a pair of 3D glasses. If I had 4K to spend on a display, this would be a no brainer for me. The selling point on that panny is the lens memory for cinemascope. Buy this and then get your CIH on.

post #34 of 53 Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I've bumped my budget to $5000. I was leaning towards a projector, but if I'm going to have to do things like paint my white ceiling in order to get equal enjoyment (equal to LED) out of it, it's not worth it. If projectors only shine in total darkness, it's not the best solution for me as that space is not a solely dedicated theatre room. I never thought spending $5000 would be this hard!
post #35 of 53 Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I've bumped my budget to $5000. I was leaning towards a projector, but if I'm going to have to do things like paint my white ceiling in order to get equal enjoyment (equal to LED) out of it, it's not worth it. If projectors only shine in total darkness, it's not the best solution for me as that space is not a solely dedicated theatre room. I never thought spending $5000 would be this hard!

It isn't . Stop reading and buy something. Trust your eyes, buy, enjoy Blu-ray and lather rinse repeat in three years.

Seriously how could anyone not enjoy the Sony or even Panny Plasma. Me, I want great picture quality and BIG screen. The Sony, Panasonic and Sharp fit the bill.

Doesn't anyone enjoy movies anymore and stop looking at each scene in the movie for imperfections in their sets?

Rick

post #36 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can find the 80" Sharp >= $4K. I was a plasma and projector owner, decided to check out the Sharp, ended up buying it from US Appliance for a sweet price...No regrets. I've taken down my projector and am now just viewing the 80" Sharp. Sure it's smaller than my previous 92" screen, but the size difference isn't detrimental to the viewing experience. The 80" keeps me just as immersed in the picture as the projector did, and with better pq (IMO). Admittedly I was only using an Epson HC8100, so it's not a huge leap to get a better picture. Having said that, I didn't see the value in replacing the Epson with a newer JVC or higher end projector because I have no interest in 3D, and lamp replacement; and like the OP, I'm viewing in a living room although I do have light control.
post #37 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Doesn't anyone enjoy movies anymore and stop looking at each scene in the movie for imperfections in their sets?

I agree. Once I get a new display, I fiddle with it, calibrate as best I can, look for the glaring and known issues; and if I don't see them I'm off to enjoy.
post #38 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 AM

No question the Sony XBR 65" is better than the Samsung 65D8000. I had the 55D8000 returned due to so many issues, getting the 64"Plasma. But if I had the cash I think the best 65" sized TV right now is that Sony XBR.
post #39 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

I can't use my Samsung SSG-3300GR 3D glasses with the Sony, can I?
post #40 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 AM

That's crazy. I'd get a ST3065 for $2k and spend the remaining $3000 on a nice projector setup.

Also, I find the pq on the sharps terrible! SD content is laughably bad.
post #41 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Gee, this was easy. The 80 inch Sharp LED will have way more impact than the 65 inch Sony 929. An 80 inch panel has 51% more screen area than a 65. The impact of the 80 inch screen far outweighs the differences in picture quality. Even a 73 inch DLP had much more impact than a top-of-the-line 65 inch Pansasonic plasma.
post #42 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Gee, this was easy. The 80 inch Sharp LED will have way more impact than the 65 inch Sony 929. An 80 inch panel has 51% more screen area than a 65. The impact of the 80 inch screen far outweighs the differences in picture quality.

The current 80-inch model isn't 3D, so it's not an option. Otherwise I would have purchased.
post #43 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The current 80-inch model isn't 3D, so it's not an option. Otherwise I would have purchased.

If 3D is that important to you that is cool. The vast majority of programminng is not 3D and I wear glasses so I don't care about 3D right now. When they have truly excellent passive 3D in a $4,000 panel, I would take the 3D, but for now, just means nothing to me.

Your Mileage Does Vary,

Good Luck
post #44 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If 3D is that important to you that is cool. The vast majority of programminng is not 3D and I wear glasses so I don't care about 3D right now. When they have truly excellent passive 3D in a $4,000 panel, I would take the 3D, but for now, just means nothing to me.

Your Mileage Does Vary,

Good Luck

It's important to my 5- and 6-year-old, so it's important to me. :-)
post #45 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's important to my 5- and 6-year-old, so it's important to me. :-)

No kids here so 3D will wait till it is a really mature technology, even if that is 5 years or more. My wife has no problems with my gear. 2 huge subwoofers, lots of electronics, speakers, wires all over. Our living room is just dominated by my AV/HT gear. If I want an 80 inch panel she would just love it. $4,000 for a TV for the kiddies, would never happen in my household. No more than any other toy for kids.

If I was in the 1% rather than the 99%, a $4,000 TV for kids would be fine, and so would a Mercedes S550, but we get bye with my Honda Accord and my wifes Toyota Corolla.
post #46 of 53 Old 02-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
buy the elite or waite for the 2012 plamas
post #47 of 53 Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Gee, this was easy. The 80 inch Sharp LED will have way more impact than the 65 inch Sony 929. An 80 inch panel has 51% more screen area than a 65. The impact of the 80 inch screen far outweighs the differences in picture quality. Even a 73 inch DLP had much more impact than a top-of-the-line 65 inch Pansasonic plasma.

3D or not the picture on the sharp looks like ass. Poor viewing angle as well.
post #48 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Your Mileage Does Vary,

Good Luck

The majority of the programming is not in 3D, but good 3D is a different experience. I'm also not in the 1% so when buying displays my decision was 3D or better 2D and I went with 3D both times. I appreciate the difference between watching avatar or transformers 3 in 3D over having more accurate colors. One seems to be a difference in the fundamental viewing experience while the other is a difference in quality which is less perceptible to me. (but then again I did crappy on the hue test )

Another thing to think about if the OP wants 3D is the glasses. With young kids, passive might be the way to go due to the expense of glasses. A kid could easily sit on, step on, misplace, or just pull the frames to far and crack them. Which blows when you spend 80 bucks on a pair.

For 5K I would still go with projector and smaller tv. I don't care about watching the regular news or regular tv shows on a huge screen so a small-ish tv is fine for that, but movies, I want em big.

Movies shot in 2.35:1 ratio looks teeny on a 50in tv.

post #49 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would not sacrifice picture quality for the sake of size- if you simply sit closer to 65" or even 60" display, then you get the same immersion from size plus the pq as well- I went from a 70" Sony Qualia SXRD that failed miserably to a 60" Pioneer Signature Elite Kuro and have never looked back. I can sit 7' away from the kuro and not see individual pixels and it is more immersive than sitting 10-12 feet away from the 70" model. If I didn't have my kuro then I would get either the 70" Sharp Elite or the the top level panasonic or samsung plasma offerings- you may also want to wait until around April 2012 for the new line of Panasonic "Infinite Black" Plasmas which are supposed to be better with the blacks than their current models.

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
post #50 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

I would not sacrifice picture quality for the sake of size- if you simply sit closer to 65" or even 60" display, then you get the same immersion from size plus the pq as well- I went from a 70" Sony Qualia SXRD that failed miserably to a 60" Pioneer Signature Elite Kuro and have never looked back. I can sit 7' away from the kuro and not see individual pixels and it is more immersive than sitting 10-12 feet away from the 70" model. If I didn't have my kuro then I would get either the 70" Sharp Elite or the the top level panasonic or samsung plasma offerings- you may also want to wait until around April 2012 for the new line of Panasonic "Infinite Black" Plasmas which are supposed to be better with the blacks than their current models.

Our seating distance is at least 11 feet, so a smaller panel simply doesn't make the grade. The 70 inch Sharp LCD got more than good test results, although narrow viewing angle is very limited. But when the lower line 70 inch Sharp is available for less than $2,000 it is a real contender.
post #51 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's a sad state of affairs that nothing current has a picture quality as good as my 6 yr old Pioneer Elite plasma.
post #52 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would either save my money, put it into stocks or buy a bond. Or save it until apple came out with their supposed tv set.
Not sooo impressed by my 55vT30, its ok.
Mo
post #53 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

Once you see a projector you won't want to watch movies on any tv anymore.

A Panny AE7000 for 3K plus a decent screen might leave you a little change left over for a pair of 3D glasses. If I had 4K to spend on a display, this would be a no brainer for me. The selling point on that panny is the lens memory for cinemascope. Buy this and then get your CIH on.

This comment was made back when the budget was $4,000. Now that it's $5,000 I agree and now not only do have change left over for a pair of 3D glasses, but probably an additional pair, new 3D Blu-Ray player, and some nice window treatments to really black out whatever room you're setting up! If I had 4K, and especially if I had 5K, to spend on a display, this would be my no-brainier decision as well. I have a feeling my next home theater decision in 5-or-so years will be between doing this or OLED - but unless OLED gets to 70"+ by then, I think wyen78 has described my "upgrade path."

Or like someone else said, get a 64" Samsung D/E7000 or 65" Panasonic ST30/50, and put the rest towards the projector setup and have the best of both worlds. Big 64/65" display for daytime viewing, absolutely huge 100+" screen for nighttime viewing . Unless of course you sit 6-or-less feet away by necessity, then I would have to alter my answer .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page