Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 307 Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post

Will one of you guys check this for me, jeez help a brother out?

As far as I knew, the unlocking was only on the D550.
I dont want to access the service menu on mine and chance the warranty that I paid for.

Maybe go in to a store and try it? When asked if you need help just say no and they walk away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 307 Old 04-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 10
Its available on the d450/d490, I just checked the thread.

I dont think you are gonna void your warranty by accessing the service menu otherwise nobody here would do it lol.

Plus all you have to do is check the options, not actually do it. On top of which the factory reset is in that menu so what can possibly go wrong?

Anyway Im still without a TV so if anyone else can help that would be great.
post #33 of 307 Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 480
You know, Costco has the 51" e535 (big box version of the e530) for a redonkulous price right now... Maybe it's time to upgrade to 1080p?

1024x768 has no business being a widescreen resolution let alone on a 50" display! Nevermind that it's borderline to even be considered HD-- at 786,432 pixels it's a 15% reduction in the resolution of a 720p broadcast and a nearly 25% reduction from the screen resolution of a traditional (1366x768 ) 720p display! For comparison: a widescreen DVD (852x480) has a pixel count of 408,960 and a 1080p display has 2,073,600 shining points if light!

I could maybe see some advantage here as a dedicated SD display for watching upconverted DVD or maybe playing Wii or OG Xbox games. It's true that lower resolution displays are more forgiving of lower resolution sources...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #34 of 307 Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

You know, Costco has the 51" e535 (big box version of the e530) for a redonkulous price right now... Maybe it's time to upgrade to 1080p?

1024x768 has no business being a widescreen resolution let alone on a 50" display! Nevermind that it's borderline to even be considered HD-- at 786,432 pixels it's a 15% reduction in the resolution of a 720p broadcast and a nearly 25% reduction from the screen resolution of a traditional (1366x768 ) 720p display! For comparison: a widescreen DVD (852x480) has a pixel count of 408,960 and a 1080p display has 2,073,600 shining points if light!

I could maybe see some advantage here as a dedicated SD display for watching upconverted DVD or maybe playing Wii or OG Xbox games. It's true that lower resolution displays are more forgiving of lower resolution sources...

Although a newb, I'm tending to agree. The color quality of my new TV (first plasma) is good, but now that I've had it a few days, I'm definitely noticing a difference in resolution compared to my other TV which is an 1080p LCD. So maybe a full 1080p plasma is the way to go?

Edit--removed request for link to Costco--I read the FAQ!

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #35 of 307 Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I send a 1080P signal from my laptop, the tv gets it 1920x1080 60i, and there is no stretching or irregularities. At ~8ft away, it looks not really any different then my 59D550 (other then screen size and contrast).
post #36 of 307 Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM Audi View Post

Check the sound settings to see if they are set to disabled. Also, it may be the source or way the reciever is sending the audio.

When I set up my laptop, I originally had it hooked to a reciever then going to a tv, and had it setup for DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD, 24bit 192khz sound, and had to disable all that in order to get sound from this tv. So maybe the source is outputting something the tv cant pass?

Thanks for the feedback. Sound is not disabled. The sound self-test works fine, so it must be some incompatibility between the receiver and the TV. I'm very probably going to return this TV anyway and exchange for a 1080p model.

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #37 of 307 Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I send a 1080P signal from my laptop, the tv gets it 1920x1080 60i, and there is no stretching or irregularities. At ~8ft away, it looks not really any different then my 59D550 (other then screen size and contrast).

What I really notice are the "jaggies" on lettering and graphics. At 9' or so they translate into looking a little blurry. At close range, of course, the pixel "steps" are really noticeable.

In all other respects, I really like the TV. I went back to BestBuy and looked at my TV vs the 1080p model and the 1080p seemed noticeably smoother. I dunno, I'm a newb and these things are probably very subjective. It seems like the 1080p models are all larger--around 50". I guess I might be getting kind of picky, especially for sub-$1K TV's.

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #38 of 307 Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

This is for 4K, but still applies,
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...vs-are-stupid/

Quote:
This math, or just looking at your TV, tells you that you can't see individual pixels. What's interesting is that a 720p, 50-inch TV has pixels roughly 0.034 inch wide. As in, at a distance of 10 feet, even 720p TVs have pixels too small for your eye to see.

That's right, at 10 feet, your eye can't resolve the difference between otherwise identical 1080p and 720p televisions. Extrapolating this out, you'd have to get a TV at least 77 inches diagonal before you'd start having a pixel visibility problem with 1080p.

Or, you can move closer. Beyond being a math exercise, let's be realistic. No one's going to sit 6 feet from a big TV. I'd doubt 7 feet, either. So if we say 8 feet (96 inches), or 0.028 inch on the resolution side, this means you'd need a TV that's bigger than 60 inches to really benefit from 1080p.

post #39 of 307 Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 AM

Any feedback on this model? PN51E490B4FXZA
Thanks!
post #40 of 307 Old 05-26-2012, 03:06 PM

Liked: 11
anyone else with picture settings?
post #41 of 307 Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Looking for picture settings as well.
Maybe it's just me, but the settings in the first post seem a bit dull when watching movies.
post #42 of 307 Old 05-27-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Each TV is different. You cant copy other settings and expect them to be right on your set. They will most likely give you a decent starting point, but you are still going to have to do your set differently. Hook a PC up, go to lagom, and follow the instructions. There is give and take for some things, so the settings you end with is up to you, your lighting conditions, and source material that you use.
post #43 of 307 Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Each TV is different. You cant copy other settings and expect them to be right on your set. They will most likely give you a decent starting point, but you are still going to have to do your set differently. Hook a PC up, go to lagom, and follow the instructions. There is give and take for some things, so the settings you end with is up to you, your lighting conditions, and source material that you use.

blah blah blah....thanks for the lecture "dad" but we're all aware of that.
Go preach that in every other thread on this forum that has user posted picture settings!
post #44 of 307 Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I am disappointed Samsung lowered the resolution on their 720p plasmas, as the pic quality is not as good. Last year's D450/D490 had the higher resolution and better video quality. Now, for about the same price point, you are better off to get the E530/535 entry level 1080p versions.
post #45 of 307 Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee87 View Post

blah blah blah....thanks for the lecture "dad" but we're all aware of that.
Go preach that in every other thread on this forum that has user posted picture settings!

Instead of being an ass to those trying to be helpful, and complaining because others arent doing the work for you, why dont you stop being lazy and just do it yourself?

If you knew that settings cant be carried over and you need to do it yourself, then why even bother posting about it? Obviously there arent many with this TV considering its a two page thread. So there wont be many different settings posted to try. It takes about 15 minutes to do the basic settings with Lagom or any of the other easy calibration tests.
post #46 of 307 Old 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Instead of being an ass to those trying to be helpful, and complaining because others arent doing the work for you, why dont you stop being lazy and just do it yourself?

If you knew that settings cant be carried over and you need to do it yourself, then why even bother posting about it? Obviously there arent many with this TV considering its a two page thread. So there wont be many different settings posted to try. It takes about 15 minutes to do the basic settings with Lagom or any of the other easy calibration tests.

the settings can be carried over....
they can't replace a professional calibration which everyone here is aware of,but comparing and trying what other members come up with is something some of us enjoy.
post #47 of 307 Old 05-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:

What do you mean when you say "each TV is different"? Its exactly the same set and I tested those settings with no ambient light, same as the poster. Can there be substantial differences between sets that come off the same production line? Just a question, I'm a newbie.

Also, been to the Lagom site as suggested, but it specifically refers to LCD. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks in advance. Learning as I go along..
post #48 of 307 Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliway View Post

What do you mean when you say "each TV is different"? Its exactly the same set and I tested those settings with no ambient light, same as the poster. Can there be substantial differences between sets that come off the same production line? Just a question, I'm a newbie.

Also, been to the Lagom site as suggested, but it specifically refers to LCD. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks in advance. Learning as I go along..

Even though they are matching model numbers, there is always a variance in every one made. A lot of times, the maker of the set will even use completely different panels in the same model. It can often vary enough to look like a completely different set when sitting next to each other. Thats why its basically impossible to copy someone else's settings and get as good of a picture.

People on here list what works for them for others to use as a starting point. There are many free ways to calibrate from there on. I prefer to use Lagom just because its easy and goes through most of the important settings.

It says its an LCD test, but it can be used for anything.

Also, what one person likes and thinks looks good, another may not. Some people like a bright and vivid picture to give their set that "HD WOW" effect. Others like to set them more realisticly which often comes off as dull to some people. Also, your source (the movie you are watching, or game you are playing, or even the device for the material) can all effect the picture quality.
post #49 of 307 Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:

This is for 4K, but still applies,
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...vs-are-stupid/

Thanks for the link. I ended up taking the 43" model back to Best Buy and bought a PN51E440 from Sam's Club. I *think* it's essentially the same as the 450's with a Sam's-specific model number (??). It certainly looks exactly the same, but larger. It was floor model on closeout and was pretty much a no-brainer price-wise: less than the 43".

Anyway, having lived with this TV for a couple of weeks I have to say that I now agree with the reference. Watching this TV, even at 51", from 8-10 feet away I can't discern any difference from my 1080p 50" in the living room. In fact, I like this TV more, probably because it's a plasma.

I haven't looked into self-calibrating yet, and have set up the TV to the numbers posted here. I've tweaked them around some, but it seems if I get one station or source looking "best" to me that other stations/sources suffer, so it seems like a chase-your-tail situation at least for an amateur like myself. I've got it set so the NBA playoffs look great now--to me.

One thing I noticed on my other TV, which is a 3-4 year old Philips 50", 120Hz, 1080p model
is they have a guided set-up program where you go through 6-8 screens that are split down the middle and you choose "Left" or "Right" according to your taste. At the end of that the Philips looks pretty good--again to me.

Maybe one of these days I'll spring for a pro to come and calibrate just to see if I'm missing something!

As far as 4K goes...I understand the logic of pixel perception, but I've read so many reviews of people who have seen 4K in person who just rave about it....I guess the original source must make a difference there. Analogous to something like a BD vs. cable TV--there's just way more information in the source?

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #50 of 307 Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post

Thanks for the link. I ended up taking the 43" model back to Best Buy and bought a PN51E440 from Sam's Club. I *think* it's essentially the same as the 450's with a Sam's-specific model number (??). It certainly looks exactly the same, but larger. It was floor model on closeout and was pretty much a no-brainer price-wise: less than the 43".

Anyway, having lived with this TV for a couple of weeks I have to say that I now agree with the reference. Watching this TV, even at 51", from 8-10 feet away I can't discern any difference from my 1080p 50" in the living room. In fact, I like this TV more, probably because it's a plasma.

I haven't looked into self-calibrating yet, and have set up the TV to the numbers posted here. I've tweaked them around some, but it seems if I get one station or source looking "best" to me that other stations/sources suffer, so it seems like a chase-your-tail situation at least for an amateur like myself. I've got it set so the NBA playoffs look great now--to me.

One thing I noticed on my other TV, which is a 3-4 year old Philips 50", 120Hz, 1080p model
is they have a guided set-up program where you go through 6-8 screens that are split down the middle and you choose "Left" or "Right" according to your taste. At the end of that the Philips looks pretty good--again to me.

Maybe one of these days I'll spring for a pro to come and calibrate just to see if I'm missing something!

As far as 4K goes...I understand the logic of pixel perception, but I've read so many reviews of people who have seen 4K in person who just rave about it....I guess the original source must make a difference there. Analogous to something like a BD vs. cable TV--there's just way more information in the source?

Do you mind telling me your settings for sports because I watch a lot of sports as well Also, anyone else mind sharing their settings? Oh and btw I have the 51e490 but I doubt their is much of a difference besides the 3d between the 450 and 490. Thanks!
post #51 of 307 Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 AM

does anyone know what the new firmware does?
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/PN43E450A1FXZA
post #52 of 307 Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

When using an OTA antenna, if I plug in HDMI the antenna goes out until I unplug or turn off the HDMI device. Anyone else with this issue?
post #53 of 307 Old 06-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
The 2002 Sony 36XBR800 started going to service mode stand by.
I keept the stand, I figure since it held that 260 pound TV
it will hold any TV in the future. LOL.............

Got my E450 on Thursday, my first Plasma!
Love it, no issues to complain about so far.
Dish with HD via 6' HDMI
BTW, the Velocity channel is on 5710 (yea it's a test channel.
Info button with CNN = 1920 x 1080/60i

No Blueray yet.

Shocked to read on the back:
Typical power 84 watts.
Is it possible this tv draws less power than a 100 watt bulb?

Here's the settings I like so far.
I'm using the op's white balance settings.
Yea I like a bit of torch mode right now.

Mode - Movie
Cell Light - 20
Contrast - 98
Brightness - 50
Sharpness 0
Color - 55
R/G Tint - 50/50
Color Space - Native
Gamma -1
Dynamic Contrast Low
Black Tone Darkest
Flesh Tone 0
Color Tone Warm1
Size - Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter - Off
HDMI Black Level - Low
Film Mode - Off
post #54 of 307 Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM

I can't stream from my pc.... My pc doesn't have a hdmi connection. can only do it with vga or usb. Since there's not a pc input on the tv, it looks like I may have to spend an extra 60 bucks on a converter/adaptor. There is the vga to hdmi converter and the usb to hdmi converter. both costly. the only other one I found was mainly for mobile devices. they have a micro usb to hdmi which I could probably adapt to the size of my usb input on the laptop. Dont know if this will work. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice or solution to this would enormously appreciated- thanks
post #55 of 307 Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmercorn View Post

I can't stream from my pc.... My pc doesn't have a hdmi connection. can only do it with vga or usb. Since there's not a pc input on the tv, it looks like I may have to spend an extra 60 bucks on a converter/adaptor. There is the vga to hdmi converter and the usb to hdmi converter. both costly. the only other one I found was mainly for mobile devices. they have a micro usb to hdmi which I could probably adapt to the size of my usb input on the laptop. Dont know if this will work. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice or solution to this would enormously appreciated- thanks

A cheep solution would be to swap your video card for one that has the DVI out,
$10 to $15 even with free ship.
They also have a S-Video out plus the standered pc monitor out.
DVI to HDMI cables are dirt cheep on amazon.
post #56 of 307 Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM

I am trying to get my Samsung PN43E450 to work with BF3 on Xbox. i play in a room that is dark.
post #57 of 307 Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 AM

Anyone have any input on the new firmware update? Is there anyway to get 3D to work?
post #58 of 307 Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeshmd23 View Post

Anyone have any input on the new firmware update? Is there anyway to get 3D to work?

I tried to update mine with the "new" firmware and it said that I already had that version. So its likely that your TV might already have that update installed out of the box. I doubt you could ever get 3D to work, but I am interested in finding out what/ if any features can be unlocked via the service menu
post #59 of 307 Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsac View Post

I tried to update mine with the "new" firmware and it said that I already had that version. So its likely that your TV might already have that update installed out of the box. I doubt you could ever get 3D to work, but I am interested in finding out what/ if any features can be unlocked via the service menu

I want deeper blacks so I'm wanting to know the options via service menu.
240 hours on the set so far.
In the dark with Brightness at 20 to 25 and Contrast at 90
Dynamic Contrast - off
Black Tone - Darkest
They look very good but can I get them better?
post #60 of 307 Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 AM

I would advise against service adjustments menu unless your confident in knowing what your doing. I messed around with my old Samsung Plasma from around 2005 and was able to adjust picture very nice, but somehow disabled all audio for tv. Just thought i would share my experience
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn43e450 43 Inch Class Plasma 450 Series Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page