Question on 24 frame playback new plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I just set up the Panasonic TC-P55T30. I figured out how to set up blu ray 24 frame play back on the player, but how do I know the tv is set to detect the 24 frame rate play back? Also the I assume the strong setting on motion smoother gives me better motion Rez thames weak or off, these things work opposite sometimes so, any help will be appreciated.

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok the 60 HZ option was greed out until I put in 24 frame blu ray disk, it's offering me to to switch to 48 hz with warning me about flickering, no 24 hz option? Any insight?

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
48 is the 24p option. The tv doubles the framerate. Some tv's triple or more IE: 72hz, 96hz. I find the 48hz feature totally useless because of the flickering, while some may not have a problem with it. I've played around with motion smoother but not enough to notice any differences yet.
whipit is online now  
post #4 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Then why pick the 24 option from the blu ray menu? Its set to crank out 24 frames when that kind of blu ray is in there, does it matter?

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So are there any plasmas that have a higher refresh rate than 60Hz?
imws is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sole_Survivor View Post

Then why pick the 24 option from the blu ray menu? Its set to crank out 24 frames when that kind of blu ray is in there, does it matter?


If your tv supports it then it can be a good thing because you won't get that 3:2 pulldown judder. The movement of the image looks much smoother and more lifelike. You really need to try it, some movies will show it better than others. You just have to get past the 48hz flicker which seems better on darker material.

Some tv's like the KURO have 72hz and the panny VT has a 96hz option.
whipit is online now  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Member
 
fcwdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think with the ST30 you should set the TV to 60 HZ and turn motion smoother OFF. Keep the player at 24 fps.

The 2011 panasonics do a very good job converting the 24 fps to 60 fps (this is the reason to do the conversion in the TV instead of the player). I've read that it is as good as having a 96 hz options (i.e. no conversion judder). I believe this process already does some frame interpolation. The motion smoother goes above and beyond that to the point it looks artificial (at least to me).

I have the VT30 and it has a 96 hz option, but I get better results with the 60 hz option. 96 introduces a little more flicker than 60 hz (but not as much as 48 hz).
fcwdev is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post

I think with the ST30 you should set the TV to 60 HZ and turn motion smoother OFF. Keep the player at 24 fps.

The 2011 panasonics do a very good job converting the 24 fps to 60 fps (this is the reason to do the conversion in the TV instead of the player). I've read that it is as good as having a 96 hz options (i.e. no conversion judder).


I agree. I have a 2010 Panny PDP and I found by setting the player to 24p output, I get no noticeable judder and the best picture quality.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank guys!

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read on cnet, when they turned the motion smoother or called blurr on last years model to off the set dropped to 700 moving resolution. When engaged it passed all 1080 lines of moving resolution. It was the case for almost all Panny plasmas. A couple of 1080p plasmas not mine reached max 900 moving Rez, even admitted in the specs at Panasonics web site, so you definitely want to keep that on. Whenever does a set not have motion engaged? With memory card images.

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sole_Survivor View Post

I read on cnet, when they turned the motion smoother or called blurr on last years model to off the set dropped to 700 moving resolution. When engaged it passed all 1080 lines of moving resolution. It was the case for almost all Panny plasmas. A couple of 1080p plasmas not mine reached max 900 moving Rez, even admitted in the specs at Panasonics web site, so you definitely want to keep that on. Whenever does a set not have motion engaged? With memory card images.




What model? I find it very hard to believe that a set like a Panny VT series would show that much difference in moving rez with out the motion smooth feature engaged on 24p BD content.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post




What model? I find it very hard to believe that a set like a Panny VT series would show that much difference in moving rez with out the motion smooth feature engaged on 24p BD content.


Ian

My son claimed the V but I read it about all Panny plasmas from cnets tests. I just got the Panasonic TC-P55T30

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post




What model? I find it very hard to believe that a set like a Panny VT series would show that much difference in moving rez with out the motion smooth feature engaged on 24p BD content.


Ian

Here it is

With said patterns, and the Blur Reduction setting engaged, the VT25 scored the full 1080 lines of motion resolution according to our test, and lines did appear a bit sharper than they did on the G20/25 and other plasmas and LCDs with similar scores.
In comparing the plasmas, we attribute the differences to those short-throw phosphors, which the company says return more quickly to an "off" state than normal phosphors. The difference is most visible in green; the VT20/25 largely lacked the green phosphor trails seen in certain fast-moving material, like the green glow in the shadow behind a white license plate from our motion resolution test disc. That said, such issues are nearly invisible in most standard program material, and we didn't see trails on the other plasmas during any of our standard viewing.
With Blur Reduction turned off, the VT20/25 achieved between 800-900 lines of resolution, although phosphor trails were still absent. Since we could see no detriment to this setting, we suggest you leave it turned on.


Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1mlDTmrDG

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic now calls it motion smoother. New models.

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sole_Survivor View Post

Here it is

With said patterns, and the Blur Reduction setting engaged, the VT25 scored the full 1080 lines of motion resolution according to our test, and lines did appear a bit sharper than they did on the G20/25 and other plasmas and LCDs with similar scores.
In comparing the plasmas, we attribute the differences to those short-throw phosphors, which the company says return more quickly to an "off" state than normal phosphors. The difference is most visible in green; the VT20/25 largely lacked the green phosphor trails seen in certain fast-moving material, like the green glow in the shadow behind a white license plate from our motion resolution test disc. That said, such issues are nearly invisible in most standard program material, and we didn't see trails on the other plasmas during any of our standard viewing.
With Blur Reduction turned off, the VT20/25 achieved between 800-900 lines of resolution, although phosphor trails were still absent. Since we could see no detriment to this setting, we suggest you leave it turned on.


Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1mlDTmrDG


I get what they are saying, however, until there is a true standard of measurement that is recognized by the SIF, I'll have to view it as a subjective analysis. See links, including the original C-Net article on motion resolution, below.


http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10020262-1.html


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071064




Cheers

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sole_Survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think a lot of companies are surpressing the factors of motion Rez, because only Panny plasmas passed this full motion test. I see no reason for cnet to lie, as well as Panasonic.
I seen other tests, and the official motion resolution test. This started before Panny created the full 1080p motion set. http://hdguru.com/will-you-see-all-t...exclusive/287/
1080p is still 1080p, but not all the pixels are in motion E.G... Football receiver running down the field and the camera following him.

Good day

"the evidence before B/TQE at this time suggests
that the best delivery format would be 720p"

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
Sole_Survivor is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off