Renters insurance cover my 65" plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was a beautiful saturday i woke up to buy a plasma i purchased on ebay a Panasonic 65v10 it looked so beautiful. Got it in the Van was sitting pretty after a 2hour drive then 10 minutes from home an accident occurs infront of me and im forced to stop short, something fell foward onto the tv now the inside is cracked. When i turn it on there is no picture and it buzzes. This has never happened to me before so after calling some places and having them chuckle at the idea od repair i moved onto insurance. My Allstate car insurance wont cover the tv but they suggested i call my Renters Insurance I was wondering if you guys had any experience with this or heard any success stories. Is there a friendly way of wording this to my insurance agent to get it covered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Liked: 32
Mmmn, yep. Makes a great door stop now. This is why you should always pad stuff like that with blankets, and place cardboard casing over it. They also make four layer cardboard panels that also help to protect fragile items. And doubtful that home owners will cover, due to it was damaged in transportation from point a to point b, not while sitting in the home.
post #3 of 41 Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Call homeowner insurance and claim spontaneous crack?
post #4 of 41 Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
If you would have actually not stopped in time, you would have rear ended the person in front of you. Thus you would have had an accident. Your insurance would have covered your losses as well as the car you hit. That's what you get for being an alert driver.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #5 of 41 Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I had to replace the panel on my 55" Samsung after a clock fell and cracked it. No one would cover it and ended up costing me $670 for the panel and almost $400 to install it at my house. At least i got to watch mine first. Welcome to hell...
post #6 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Mmmn, yep. Makes a great door stop now. This is why you should always pad stuff like that with blankets, and place cardboard casing over it. They also make four layer cardboard panels that also help to protect fragile items. And doubtful that home owners will cover, due to it was damaged in transportation from point a to point b, not while sitting in the home.

Well crap
post #7 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I had to replace the panel on my 55" Samsung after a clock fell and cracked it. No one would cover it and ended up costing me $670 for the panel and almost $400 to install it at my house. At least i got to watch mine first. Welcome to hell...

Holy crap. You could have just gotten a new TV for that. Why did you bother with the repair?
post #8 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

And that would be correct why? It would cost more for the deductible for the HOI, than the set is currently worth.
post #9 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

And that would be correct why? It would cost more for the deductible for the HOI, than the set is currently worth.

Cracked Screen? I'd say the set ain't worth much....
post #10 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

I just paid $1,100 for the tv which to me was an amazing price, id be willing to pay another $1000 to have it fixed but it looks like the panel alone will be somewhere around $1,500. Is there perhaps a way i could word my claim to my insurance agent that would help me with a successful claim?
post #11 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Its called fraud and you just recommended it on a PUBLIC FORUM!!!!

Not too bright.
post #12 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post

I just paid $1,100 for the tv which to me was an amazing price, id be willing to pay another $1000 to have it fixed but it looks like the panel alone will be somewhere around $1,500. Is there perhaps a way i could word my claim to my insurance agent that would help me with a successful claim?

You bought that 65V10 anyway?? I would have thought you'd pass on it after the discussions in your other thread. Anyway, spending more money to repair it would be a waste - you'll end up with a $2,500-$3,000 used/repaired TV with no warranty with poor black levels and poorer picture quality compared to a brand new $2,000 65ST30 that has much better picture quality and a factory warranty.

Did you happen to pay for this TV with a good credit card that has accidental breakage coverage on purchases made with the card? Otherwise, you might be able to sell the TV for parts, or sell the individual parts yourself and recoup some of your loss, then buy a brand new 65ST30 from Costco for less than the cost of repairing the 65V10.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #13 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Liked: 13
Time to go start another thread "Help me to decide on a new TV"
Your situation really sucks.
post #14 of 41 Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Most home insurance policies have some coverage for a percentage of your unscheduled personal property limit when it is away from the covered location. However, the damage would still have to be caused by a "covered peril" as written on your policy. It is doubtful that damage caused this way will be covered. You can check your policy declarations page to see what the covered perils are and if you still can't decide if there is coverage, your insurance agent can give you an answer.

oz
post #15 of 41 Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post

Not too bright.

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious. He was pointing out that it would be highly unlikely for an insurance company to believe that a crack suddenly, and spontaneously, just appeared in the TV while it sat in the home. At least I hope that's what he was doing with that statement. If not, your second comment is spot on.

OP, after your deductible, and the potential of having your home insurance cost rise because of a claim, it just wouldn't be worth pursuing an insurance angle even if you had a valid claim. You were terribly unlucky. Don't make the situation worse by increasing your insurance cost, at best, and potentially being charged with fraud, at worst.
post #16 of 41 Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Not too bright.

Correct and depending on your state, it's a felony.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #17 of 41 Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Guys this was an accident ive heard of peoples kids breaking their tvs and having it covered. My dedeuctible is 2500 but were it not this may have worked for me.
post #18 of 41 Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys this was an accident ive heard of peoples kids breaking their tvs and having it covered. My deductible is 2500 but were it not this may have worked for me.

I think you are missing the point. Sure, if it happened at home it would be covered, depending on your policy (I pay for these every day-I'm an adjuster) but to lie and say it happened at home when it happened on the road is what is the fraud part. Also, fyp.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #19 of 41 Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Guys this was an accident ive heard of peoples kids breaking their tvs and having it covered. My dedeuctible is 2500 but were it not this may have worked for me.

Unfortunately, it looks like you are SOL. Insurance companies are usually scum suckers that take your premiums and then deny most claims if there is any way for them to get out of paying. It is illegal and wrong, but I have heard of people claiming more stuff damaged or stolen than actually was, just to cover the deductible.
post #20 of 41 Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 AM

I doubt renter's insurance would cover something that was damaged in your car. Even if the damage occured in your apartment, you would probably need specific coverage for the TV unless it was a general issue, like a fire or water damage from a leak. I don't think a renter's policy would cover a cracked TV screen if you accidently bump into it, just as they wouldn't cover a dropped drinking glass.
post #21 of 41 Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Most renter's policies cover accidental damage to a tv. The key is that it has to be damaged beyond repair and at home or within 100 feet of home.

post #22 of 41 Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

I think you are missing the point. Sure, if it happened at home it would be covered, depending on your policy (I pay for these every day-I'm an adjuster) but to lie and say it happened at home when it happened on the road is what is the fraud part. Also, fyp.

Yeah because the insurance companies don't ever screw us over. They rape us every time there is a Hurricane or earthquake somewhere far from where I live. If you can get back at the insurance companies then do it.
post #23 of 41 Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM

I know when I had renters [ State Farm ] they covered ANYTHING [except cash over $100 ] that was lost/stolen/damaged in the apartment and the vehicle!

This was when I was in Texas. Maybe coverages differ from state to state ?
post #24 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Yeah because the insurance companies don't ever screw us over. They rape us every time there is a Hurricane or earthquake somewhere far from where I live. If you can get back at the insurance companies then do it.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were "violated" in that way. I'd turn that into the police. Seriously though, you need to grow up a little. I think you are referring to Katrina and that's an entirely different matter than damaging your tv. The discussion was about getting coverage for damaging the tv. It was not about the horrible performance by "some" insurance companies in New Orleans.

post #25 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were "violated" in that way. I'd turn that into the police. Seriously though, you need to grow up a little. I think you are referring to Katrina and that's an entirely different matter than damaging your tv. The discussion was about getting coverage for damaging the tv. It was not about the horrible performance by "some" insurance companies in New Orleans.

I guess you work for the insurance world by your posts. Sorry Flo.
post #26 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I guess you work for the insurance world by your posts. Sorry Flo.

Independent adjuster; don't work for an insurance company but handle claims for about 100 different insurance companies, municipalities, fire companies, the military, etc.

post #27 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Have you actually contacted your renters insurance company and explained the scenario .. ?? Don't think anyone on AVS can rationally answer your question ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #28 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Independent adjuster; don't work for an insurance company but handle claims for about 100 different insurance companies, municipalities, fire companies, the military, etc.

That explains everything.
post #29 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not too bright.

I had a question at the end, not recommendation.

It is called LEARN TO READ.

Also, this was more like planting a seed of thought. I did not recommend anything
post #30 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Is there a friendly way of wording this to my insurance agent to get it covered?

Dig out your Renters Policy, find the section for Coverage C - Personal Property. Odds are it begins with a statement very much like the following:

"We cover personal property owned by an insured while it is anywhere in the world...."

NOW: this will be followed by a list of Limitations and Exclusions. Read through those so you have an IDEA of what to expect - and then CALL YOUR AGENT (or the claims center, depending upon company).

Leave it up to the company (their Adjuster) to find an Exclusion (or Limitation) that fits your situation. If they cannot, then the loss should be covered, less your Deductible.

But if they CAN, you are probably up a creek....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page