Help! Streaked my Panny plasma screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In an attempt to clean my 50" panny plasma I have created streaks on the screen.
I used RODI water and a soft, clean cloth.
I think I either:
A. Rubbed too hard
-or-
B. The tv was still too warm when I wiped it

What do I do now? (if it isn't permanently screwed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Ouch

post #3 of 27 Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

In an attempt to clean my 50" panny plasma I have created streaks on the screen.
I used RODI water and a soft, clean cloth.
I think I either:
A. Rubbed too hard
-or-
B. The tv was still too warm when I wiped it

What do I do now? (if it isn't permanently screwed)

If all else fails use meguiar's non abrasive carnuba wax. Apply with microfiber or maybe soft cotton. This won't harm an AR filter, but do a small bit first. I've fixed a couple that had bad streaks and now you would never know.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...-carnauba-wax/
post #4 of 27 Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Would you advise trying the RODI again, butwith a fully cooled screen first?
post #5 of 27 Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had no idea cleaning a warm screen had any risks attached. Strange.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #6 of 27 Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Apparently the film is more easily damaged when it is warmed up by display use.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM

Never heard of RODI water, but looked it up. One quote is:

"Due to its fine membrane construction, reverse osmosis not only removes harmful contaminants that may be present in the water, it also strips many of the good, healthy minerals from the water as well, thereby making the water.[12] Reverse Osmosis water is, in fact, so chemically unstable and acidic that in many countries national plumbing codes restrict water that has been filtered via reverse osmosis from being reintroduced into copper pipes due to its corrosiveness on the copper. This also has implications for reverse osmosis filtration systems that use steel storage tanks, as the acidity of the water can lead to the steel rusting over time and contaminating the post-filter water."

Perhaps the water reacted with the warm panel and left some chemical residue already on the panel. I normally use distilled water on my cool Kuro panel and have had no problems. I would try again on a cool panel with distilled.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post

"Due to its fine membrane construction, reverse osmosis not only removes harmful contaminants that may be present in the water, it also strips many of the good, healthy minerals from the water as well, thereby making the water.[12] Reverse Osmosis water is, in fact, so chemically unstable and acidic that in many countries national plumbing codes restrict water that has been filtered via reverse osmosis from being reintroduced into copper pipes due to its corrosiveness on the copper. This also has implications for reverse osmosis filtration systems that use steel storage tanks, as the acidity of the water can lead to the steel rusting over time and contaminating the post-filter water."

Perhaps the water reacted with the warm panel and left some chemical residue already on the panel. I normally use distilled water on my cool Kuro panel and have had no problems. I would try again on a cool panel with distilled.

I'm not sure where you read that, but RO/DI water is not chemically unstable and it is not acidic. It has a PH of 7 (neutral). However, because of its purity, it readily absorbs gases like CO2, which can affect its ph. The same would be true of pure lab grade distilled water, which is even more pure than RO.

I think what people are actually refering to is water's properties as a "universal solvent". Water can absorb anything on the periodic table. even if it's only a few atoms. In practice, it is possible that highly purified water can damage a chemical coating, but it is highly unlikely if all you do is clean with it. More than likely, the damage in this case was due to the panel being warm and too much elbow grease and ironically. not enough water while cleaning. the result was an abasive effect on the coating, which is probably only a few molecules thick. I've seen a similar thing happen when people tried to clean the lenses on their RPTVs.

Unfortunately, I did some research but was unable to find a fix, other than a cosmetic one already mentioned. Back in the day, it was a matter of getting replacement lenses, but replacing a panel is a much bigger deal I imagine.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

I'm not sure where you read that ...

Wikipedia

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #10 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post

RODI is completely stripped clean water(0 TDS)....I use it for my saltwater reef tank.
Thanks...I will.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

More than likely, the damage in this case was due to the panel being warm and too much elbow grease and ironically. not enough water while cleaning. the result was an abasive effect on the coating, which is probably only a few molecules thick. I've seen a similar thing happen when people tried to clean the lenses on their RPTVs.

Unfortunately, I did some research but was unable to find a fix, other than a cosmetic one already mentioned. Back in the day, it was a matter of getting replacement lenses, but replacing a panel is a much bigger deal I imagine.

Damn...yup, you are right about too much force.
So I can try the above reccomended trick and if that doesn't work I am just S.O.L.?
post #12 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:

Damn...yup, you are right about too much force. So I can try the above reccomended trick and if that doesn't work I am just S.O.L.?

What is the model number of your Panny? Some of them have a replaceable outer glass that is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole panel.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #13 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

P50-s1
post #14 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Damn...yup, you are right about too much force.
So I can try the above reccomended trick and if that doesn't work I am just S.O.L.?

Well, you could try contacting Panasonic to see if they have a solution, you have nothing to lose at this point. How bad does it look during regular viewing/darkened room viewing? Is it noticable? Hopefully it is something you will only see when there is light reflecting off the set.

I did tell my wife to never ever clean our flat panels. I use a feather duster to lightly flick off what little dust sticks to the screen Dust can act as an abrasive in these situations, which is why rubbing should be avoided as much as possible.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It can only be seen during daylight hours...not noticeable at night.
I cleaned it because there was mucous on it from coughing and sneezing over two years time. It wasn't just a dusting.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:

I cleaned it because there was mucous on it from coughing and sneezing over two years time. It wasn't just a dusting.

I LOLed...but I know what you mean about the various airborne substances that find their way onto your screen over the years.

If you can re-position the set to minimize reflection, it might help. If not, you may just have to darken the room if the streaks actually interfere with your viewing during the day.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:

P50-s1

That model does have a replaceable outer glass with the AR Coating on it. If Panasonic has any left it will probably be around $500 for the glass, and you can install it yourself pretty easily.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #18 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I cannot recall using anything but a dry microfiber cloth on my 58 inch panel. Lucky for me I always have done it when the set has been off for awhile, like first thing in the morning before turning it on. I may have used a tiny bit of water on a corner on the cloth one time but not usually. As far as I know I have not damaged the panel after 4 years. but I will be especially mindful to rub lightly and only when the panel is cool from now on not that I was abusive before this.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #19 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Maybe next time you can use your shirt your wearing to cough or sneeze into to catch most of the x8&$ that comes flying out,or if you dont want to ruin your shirt,use the person whos sitting next to you at that time
post #20 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That model does have a replaceable outer glass with the AR Coating on it. If Panasonic has any left it will probably be around $500 for the glass, and you can install it yourself pretty easily.

I got the plasma for only $800...not sure it would be worth a $500 replacement panel, but I appreciate the info!
post #21 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop View Post

Maybe next time you can use your shirt your wearing to cough or sneeze into to catch most of the x8&$ that comes flying out,or if you dont want to ruin your shirt,use the person whos sitting next to you at that time

This is why couches and chairs have arms.

OP: I agree that a $500 investment may be a lot for an $800 set. OTOH, you amy be able to get a better set for $300 more, or even for $500 if you are will to go down a bit in size.

You could always try eBay or even a Panny service center and see if you can score a new glass cheaper. I hesitate to suggest any chemical or compounds becasue I have know way of knowing what the effect will be. If it helps, you probably kept a bunch of people from running into the same issue.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I got the plasma for only $800...not sure it would be worth a $500 replacement panel, but I appreciate the info!

There was a similar thread a while back. The guy eventually decided to just remove the AR coating all together and seamed happy with the result.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 AM

I accidentally streaked my AR shield on my Mits RPTV a number of years ago, this led me to finally taking it off and I was happy with the result. I second removing it to see if it is a viable solution.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post

There was a similar thread a while back. The guy eventually decided to just remove the AR coating all together and seamed happy with the result.

I imagine using an ammonia based cleaning agent and some elbow grease would do it. I don't think it could make things worse as long as you don't actually scratch the glass. Worse case, buy another panel or tv.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post

Do you remember what he used? Or the title of the thread, or how long ago it was?
Thanks!
lmost
Panasonic offered no support options other than replacing the panel for as much as the tv cost almost.

I talked to a local repairguy and he said he neverdid it, but that I could remove the film with 35 ammonia/75 water or 50/50 mix and a fibercloth. That was just his guess though ashe has never done it.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Do you remember what he used? Or the title of the thread, or how long ago it was?
Thanks!
lmost
Panasonic offered no support options other than replacing the panel for as much as the tv cost almost.

I talked to a local repairguy and he said he neverdid it, but that I could remove the film with 35 ammonia/75 water or 50/50 mix and a fibercloth. That was just his guess though ashe has never done it.

Since it's a chemical coating and not bonded to the glass, I think the repair guy is on the right track...

Try it out in a small area in the corner of the screen.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
lmost

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1382373
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page