Best current plasma? Need help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I have not been here for quite a while. I am a happy owner of two 60 inch Kuro 7th and 8th generation Pioneers. I have a need for a 50-60 inch plasma for a vacation home. What can you tell me about the best Samsung and Panasonics at this point. I was on CNET and saw some scathing remarks about both the the 8000 series Sammys and also some harsh words about the Panasonic. Both seem to have some serious quality control issues. Is this true and which one would you guys recommend, if any. Is there better quality control in LED's these days? I know I still prefer the picture of plasma but not if you can't get a good reliable one. Please help. Thanks. Ned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM

I just went through the same thing. Ended up going with the Samsung 59 7000.
Was worried about pulling the trigger with some of the concerns out there.
However showed up today and it doesn't have the buzzing issue and picture quality is awesome. January 2012 build date.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
IMO, the Panasonic VT30 is the best 2011 model (soon to be replaced by the Panny VT50), but many prefer Samsung. Both have excellent PQ.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

IMO, the Panasonic VT30 is the best 2011 model (soon to be replaced by the Panny VT50), but many prefer Samsung. Both have excellent PQ.

Do you have any personal experience viewing either? Do you know anything about quality control issues? Among many things that it did better than all the others, the Pioneer Elites had amazing video processing with no motion artifacts issues at all. I seem to remember that Panasonic was second in that regard and Samsung was a distant third. But that was years ago. Any thoughts on that issue. Thanks. Ned.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Ifyour the type of person who has the money you could get a SHARP ELITE led. Heard they are pretty amazing.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post

Ifyour the type of person who has the money you could get a SHARP ELITE led. Heard they are pretty amazing.

I saw two of them at BB today, a 50 inch and a 70 inch. Not great conditions to compare. They are very, very pricy. Regards. Ned.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultzee View Post

I just went through the same thing. Ended up going with the Samsung 59 7000.
Was worried about pulling the trigger with some of the concerns out there.
However showed up today and it doesn't have the buzzing issue and picture quality is awesome. January 2012 build date.

The complaints I saw by the cnet user reviews were regarding what was described as "popping" or flashing on bright scenes. The users said it was annoying to point of not wanting to watch. Regards. Ned.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post

The complaints I saw by the cnet user reviews were regarding what was described as "popping" or flashing on bright scenes. The users said it was annoying to point of not wanting to watch. Regards. Ned.

There's some huge threads with much more info than cnet here on AVS.

One is about the recent fix in firmware that Samsung has put out to those experiencing the brightness pops. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1389562

I have a PN59D8000 with absolutely no issues, so they're out there but there are those having some issues with peeling, pops, buzzing, cracks, etc. I did try a UN60C6300 but the motion handling wasn't great, and the flashlighting/clouding in a darkened environment in dark scenes I just couldn't take so went to plasma instead. Very happy with my set, but I'd purchase from someone like BB who will take it back if you're not satisfied rather than try and deal only with warranty. Don't know about Panasonic.

post #9 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi everyone. I have not been here for quite a while. I am a happy owner of two 60 inch Kuro 7th and 8th generation Pioneers. I have a need for a 50-60 inch plasma for a vacation home. What can you tell me about the best Samsung and Panasonics at this point. I was on CNET and saw some scathing remarks about both the the 8000 series Sammys and also some harsh words about the Panasonic. Both seem to have some serious quality control issues. Is this true and which one would you guys recommend, if any. Is there better quality control in LED's these days? I know I still prefer the picture of plasma but not if you can't get a good reliable one. Please help. Thanks. Ned.

I'll may be selling a NIB Pioneer Elite 60" PRO-151FD and it will come with a 2 year warranty. If interested PM me.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #10 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It has been fixed on both Pannys and Sammys.
I have the VT30 and absolutely love it. I just sit back and enjoy, rather than obsessing about every little thing or studying the display from inches away.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 PM

I don't know if I am just lucky so far but I am not getting buzzing or brightness pops. Amazing picture. Jan. 2012 build.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-26-2012, 12:22 AM

Liked: 11
I've got a PN59D550, and I love it. Obviously, the higher series (7000, etc), are better, but I love my TV. The buzzing is an issue if you sit dead centre with the TV, gonna bring it to Best Buy and ask for a new panel (I have the service plan, so if I get 4 fixes in 4 years, I get $1500 towards a new TV).

post #13 of 14 Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 AM

I've got the VT30 for about 3 weeks now and I couldn't be happier. It's as quiet as an ant, perfect PQ and I can game BF3 and Mass Effect on it non stop (after running movies and stuff carefully the first 100h).

Seems like it's a bit of a lottery BUT keep in mind that when you have a problem, the first thing people usually do is google their issue and voila, avsforum.com. Then they write about their issue here and that's the problem. I got cold feet AFTER buying my tv just because I read so much crap about them which obviously have helped me in my breakin, but it makes you more uncomfortable then necessary.

VT30 is so far AMAZING. Wow, if the PQ is this good in THX I wonder what it can look like when calibrated.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizyo View Post

VT30 is so far AMAZING. Wow, if the PQ is this good in THX I wonder what it can look like when calibrated.

I had used THX mode for months. I finally changed to D-Nice's settings in Custom mode and like the latter better than THX. Give it a try.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page