Milky blacks on LG 50PV400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there. I just picked up the LG 50PV400 plasma and am really disappointed in the haziness of the blacks. So much so, that I'm feeling like maybe I'm missing something. I've played around with the picture mode, which is now on Cinema, and the contrast and brightness levels. Still, the general picture seems to shrouded in a general light haziness. Is there something simple I'm not thinking of?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeerav View Post

Hey there. I just picked up the LG 50PV400 plasma and am really disappointed in the haziness of the blacks. So much so, that I'm feeling like maybe I'm missing something. I've played around with the picture mode, which is now on Cinema, and the contrast and brightness levels. Still, the general picture seems to shrouded in a general light haziness. Is there something simple I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

You bought LG..that is your issue. LG plasmas are decent, but not known for good black levels. Panasonic and Samsung plasmas are both better in that regard. If you don't like the black levels return it if you can. If you keep soom room lighting on it won't be nearly as obvious either.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

thanks. it of course is much better and richer in the evening, but i might give it another few days before ultimately exchanging it out.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks. it of course is much better and richer in the evening, but i might give it another few days before ultimately exchanging it out.

Do u mean blacks look 'hazy' in a bright room or at night?
post #5 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I assumed it was going to get better at night, but my old LCD wasn't nearly as "hazy" in a well naturally-lit room, which is when I was trying to make the adjustments.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I assumed it was going to get better at night, but my old LCD wasn't nearly as "hazy" in a well naturally-lit room, which is when I was trying to make the adjustments.

Ah..that's a different issue. Plasmas tend to look best in a darker room...they can wash out in a bright room. Some higher end models may do better with a bright room than lower models. In general LCD sets look better in a bright room though, and plasmas are better at night. You need to go to stores and check that out. There is probably not much you can do to improve your LG in that regard.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

That set probly has a poor anti reflective coating plus LG sucks compared to Panasonic/Samsung when it comes to plasma.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ok yeah - guess I didn't realize the dramatic swing. Thanks for your comments and advice - appreciate it.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Always so much hate for LG on AVS. There's a dedicated thread to PV4xx's (with Blacknoirs calibrated settings) and there's also a dedicated thread to improving black levels on LGs (by adjusting potentiometers). Check those threads out. I adjusted the pots on my LG 50PV450 and it looks absolutely stunning (very deep blacks now). Don't listen to the FUD spreaders on AVS forums. LGs have some of the best color reproduction out there and once you adjust the pots you can potentially get black levels as low as some of the better plasmas out there (for much less $$$). It's up to you. I do think it's crazy that we have to open our TVs to get proper black levels but I did it anyway and even my wife is floored by the difference and she wouldn't care if we had a black/white CRT TV.

e
post #10 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsys View Post

Always so much hate for LG on AVS. There's a dedicated thread to PV4xx's (with Blacknoirs calibrated settings) and there's also a dedicated thread to improving black levels on LGs (by adjusting potentiometers). Check those threads out. I adjusted the pots on my LG 50PV450 and it looks absolutely stunning (very deep blacks now). Don't listen to the FUD spreaders on AVS forums. LGs have some of the best color reproduction out there and once you adjust the pots you can potentially get black levels as low as some of the better plasmas out there (for much less $$$). It's up to you. I do think it's crazy that we have to open our TVs to get proper black levels but I did it anyway and even my wife is floored by the difference and she wouldn't care if we had a black/white CRT TV.

e

No ones spreading any type of hate, he expected more out of black levels and you tell him about color accuracy......LG's plasma is known for lighter black levels then everyone else, that's a fact not BS being spread by misinformed people.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsys View Post

e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post

No ones spreading any type of hate, he expected more out of black levels and you tell him about color accuracy......LG's plasma is known for lighter black levels then everyone else, that's a fact not BS being spread by misinformed people.

Both of you're arguments can be justified, LG has been given a lot of negative flack on their black levels and IR, both of which can be proven to be sub par with regards to the competition, but both of which are vastly improved by tweaking. Why LG didn't take the effort and adjust their sets to levels, which we've shown can compete and in some cases exceed the competition, may never be fully understood and the reason I started the tweak thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1372479
Got to agree "LGs have some of the best color reproduction out there" and the main reason I've picked up 4 over the last 4 years.
Right now I wouldn't swap my tweaked PX950 for any competing model regardless of price.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

post #12 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM

yep the pots tweak definetely makes it all better and its simple to do.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50 Inch Plasma 50pv450c
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page