Deciding between plasma tv's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mike1527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Im in the market for a plasma (I do a lot of gaming/movies) but I'd be fine with an led/lcd as long as it has higher hZ. Was looking into panasonic plasmas (because the deals right now are insane) I know it's a little difficult to grab hands on one so I'm either leaning towards the sony hx729 or the nx729, either samsungs 7000/8000 series plasmas (which I'm unsure of the differences. Any other ideas for a good plasma (that might be in stock during this time) would be awesome . The smaller the size (40-51) the better because this is moving to a bedroom and in going to be wall mounted. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Mike1527 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Higher HZ is a gimmick for most TV's, just letting you know now before you go out and see a TV that says 240HZ THAT MUST BE BEST.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mike1527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Then what would u recommend for a plasma around 40-51"?
Mike1527 is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We have a Panasonic Viera, that we got back in 2007, and love it. If I had to get another Plasma, I would say Panasonic would be my first choice, unless OLED sets come down in price in the next two years, than that will change. Panasonic is still pretty much king for Plasmas, even after CES 2012.

The Samsung PN51e8000 is showing as a possible contender. The best thing to do, is go out and look at them. Find someplace that will let you play with the sets, not stand there and treat the remote like the holy grail and not let you look at features, or play with settings. They can always turn them back up after you leave. I would definitively change the extreme settings that they have their sets at in the show room, due to the majority are either too low, or too high in turn, making one set look worst, another look better.

Worst thing to do, is to go someplace and look at a wall of tv's under flourescent lighting, or turned so far up, or really low in a low lighting showroom. And do not go during the weekend in the middle of the day, when every other shopper is out looking, go during the week, or go in during the day during the week if you can take time off from work, so that you can go in when no one else is in there in crowds.
gregzoll is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung 51D7000, 51D6500, and Panasonic 50GT30 and 50ST30 are what I would look at.
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Samsung 51D7000, 51D6500, and Panasonic 50GT30 and 50ST30 are what I would look at.

Excellent list, and i'll add the new Panny 50ST50 now that it's available for purchase

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mike1527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Samsung 51D7000, 51D6500, and Panasonic 50GT30 and 50ST30 are what I would look at.

Well i want to go as small as possible around 42, but i guess i can fit a 50" (its going in my bedroom and i dont want it to dominate it haha) but ill check em out . Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Excellent list, and i'll add the new Panny 50ST50 now that it's available for purchase

What does the st50 offer compared to the st30? Is it just better picture quality, deeper blacks/blues etc?
Mike1527 is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Year to Year it would be really hard to notice a black level change using just your eyes for the same model, I would go with the ST30 over the 50 right now b/c you'll be paying a premium price for it since it literrally just came out.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1527 View Post

Well i want to go as small as possible around 42, but i guess i can fit a 50" (its going in my bedroom and i dont want it to dominate it haha) but ill check em out . Thanks!

The only good 42" and 46" Plasma for 2011 was the ST30 series but it's now discontinued and the remaining supply is drying up rapidly. It's replacement is the ST50 series but the problem is that they've dropped the 42" and 46" sizes in the ST series so the smallest ST50 is now a 50 incher. The only semi-decent 42" Panny this year is the UT50 series but it does not have an Anti-Reflective Filter and it will be very reflective - like a big dark mirror. The ST30's AR Filter is excellent (same as on the GT30).

The 42" & 46" ST30 is the best and last sub-50-inch TV ever made. To get anything as good in 2012 it will have to be at least a 50" Panny or 51" Sammy.

If you want a 42" or 46" ST30 then you should probably act fast because when the supply dries up, they're gone forever.


Quote:
What does the ST50 offer compared to the ST30? Is it just better picture quality, deeper blacks/blues etc?

The 2012 models are improved in many areas based on what i've been reading in the 2012 Panny threads here and especially on HDJ.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow why would they drop the 42 inch model...I think thats a HUGE mistake for them.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post

Wow why would they drop the 42 inch model...I think thats a HUGE mistake for them.

The ST30 didn't sell well in the 42" and 46" size range, while the 50" and larger sold very well, and none of the other plasma makers ever made a 42" 1080p set at all while Panasonic was making two model yet people still weren't buying enough of em, so the consumer has spoken yet again. They should have at least included an AR filter of some sort on the UT50. Even last year's entry level S30 had a semi-decent AR filter (but not nearly as good as on the ST30/GT30). It appears that people buying a 46" and smaller set were opting for ultra-low-end units like the 768p Panasonic X3 and Samsung 450.

It seems like as the years go by, people are buying larger screen sizes on the mid-to-high-end models. This year 50" is the new 42", and last year it seemed like 54" was the new 50". The 60" ST30 and GT30 sold very well last year. In 2010 their flagship VT25 did not sell well in the 50" size and there was a surplus of them for a year after the last ones were built and being clearanced at incredibly deep discounts. So for 2011 they dropped the 50 inch VT.

This sucks for me because i really don't want anything bigger than the 46 incher i already have, so when it comes time to upgrade i'll be forced to get a 50 incher and i just don't want that big of a screen in my man room, yet i don't want low-end picture quality and minimal features.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder what BestBuy would replace my 42 inch ST30 with if something went wrong with it then since I bought a BB warranty.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Randy, a lot of people are buying super cheap LCD units, over Plasmas, due to the mis claims that a lot of people are putting out there, and also people want cheap pricing. At the time we purchased our Panny, it was around $1500, about a week later it dropped to around $1300, which of course we went back and got the difference applied to a upscale dvd player, due to bd was still not in our price point.

I personally want to ditch the 42" and go with at least a 50", but right now with this set running on five years and still going strong, I know technology will change again and at that time, who knows.
gregzoll is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mike1527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I just checked it's really low on stock i don't even think I'll be able to get it (nearest best buy said they can't even order it warehouse is empty no other stores close have it). What would be a good alternative for 42"? I know this is the plasma forum but around this size I feel like I might have to go with an LCD/LED. :/
Mike1527 is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I wall mounted my display in my bedroom kinda high, for viewing comfort while laying in bed. If this is your intention, just be careful. A lot of the heat is expelled through the top in the back, make sure you leave sufficient clearance for air flow and for the heat to escape.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is online now  
post #16 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1527 View Post

Yeah I just checked it's really low on stock i don't even think I'll be able to get it (nearest best buy said they can't even order it warehouse is empty no other stores close have it). What would be a good alternative for 42"? I know this is the plasma forum but around this size I feel like I might have to go with an LCD/LED. :/

There is no good alternative to the 42ST30, except for a 46ST30. None of the 40"-46" LCD or LED LCD TVs (not even the highest-priced high-end models) will perform nearly as well as the ST30 does. The one that comes closest is the 46" Sony HX929 but it's way more money than a 46" ST30, and the ST30 still beats it in most regards. That's not to say the picture quality on the LCDs and LED LCDs is horrible, but you are going to give up some PQ in this size category.

For 2012, the really good picture quality now starts with the 50" screen size and larger (Panny 50ST50 and 50GT50, and Sammy 51PNE6500 and 51PNE7000).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mike1527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

There is no good alternative to the 42ST30, except for a 46ST30. None of the 40"-46" LCD or LED LCD TVs (not even the highest-priced high-end models) will perform nearly as well as the ST30 does. The one that comes closest is the 46" Sony HX929 but it's way more money than a 46" ST30, and the ST30 still beats it in most regards. That's not to say the picture quality on the LCDs and LED LCDs is horrible, but you are going to give up some PQ in this size category.

For 2012, the really good picture quality now starts with the 50" screen size and larger (Panny 50ST50 and 50GT50, and Sammy 51PNE6500 and 51PNE7000).

How does it par against the hx729? I think its a lot more money just for the 929.
Mike1527 is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'll just add that I always prefer to buy at the end of a model year (bought the 59D7000 on Feb 1) so that all of the inevitable issues are known and (hopefully) fixed.

I can't imagine if I had bought the D7000 last spring/summer - it would have been returned and I would have missed out on a great set due to the brightness fluctuations that took almost a year to fix. It seems that most TV's these days have issues at release and I'd prefer to know a) what the issues are and b) if there are legitimate fixes for them before I purchase.

These new Panasonic and Samsung sets look amazing but I'd be worried about the initial wave of problems that they are likely to have.
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Newbie
 
2-channelHarv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, this is my first post -- haven't purchased a TV in a long time. Looking into buying Panny plasma, 50 inch likely too big for top of our dresser (exactly 50" wide), therefore 46ST30, 42ST30, or 42UT50 are the candidates, though the 50ST50 looks great on paper. Best Buy has the 42ST30 online now for $799, same as the suggested retail for the 42UT50. From Randy's post, sounds like the ST30 will have superior PQ compared with UT50 because of its anti-reflective screen, despite the 2500 (UT50) vs. 600 Hz (ST30) scanning.
Any alternative recommendations or suggestions?
Thank you very much!
2-channelHarv is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-channelHarv View Post

Hi, this is my first post -- haven't purchased a TV in a long time. Looking into buying Panny plasma, 50 inch likely too big for top of our dresser (exactly 50" wide), therefore 46ST30, 42ST30, or 42UT50 are the candidates, though the 50ST50 looks great on paper. Best Buy has the 42ST30 online now for $799, same as the suggested retail for the 42UT50. From Randy's post, sounds like the ST30 will have superior PQ compared with UT50 because of its anti-reflective screen, despite the 2500 (UT50) vs. 600 Hz (ST30) scanning.
Any alternative recommendations or suggestions?
Thank you very much!

You said the top of your dresser is 50 inches wide....well the base the TV's stand on isn't 50 inches wide and the TV itself is measured corner to corner not side to side so a 50 inch TV is not 50 inches wide. The 50 inch model will be 47.4 from side to side and the base I'm guessing is around 16-18 inches if I had to guess.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Member
 
sboychuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please do not hate me for suggesting an X3.

If you want something in the 42 inch range, I posted some info in the Plasma Buyers Guide section of this forum. The 42X3 is on sale at clearance prices at a major retailer and selling out fast. It will not compete with my 65GT30, but for an overall value, it fit my price point which was $400.00, for a bedroom TV that averages one hour of viewing per day. It is also WiFi ready. Yes, you will pay about $60 for the dongle, but you could also use the Ethernet cable for free. Great price for a quality Panny plasma.
sboychuck is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Newbie
 
2-channelHarv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Thank you for pointing out the dimensions. I forgot that 50 inches is the diagonal. I guess Pythagoras does apply after all!
2-channelHarv is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mike1527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-channelHarv View Post

Hi, this is my first post -- haven't purchased a TV in a long time. Looking into buying Panny plasma, 50 inch likely too big for top of our dresser (exactly 50" wide), therefore 46ST30, 42ST30, or 42UT50 are the candidates, though the 50ST50 looks great on paper. Best Buy has the 42ST30 online now for $799, same as the suggested retail for the 42UT50. From Randy's post, sounds like the ST30 will have superior PQ compared with UT50 because of its anti-reflective screen, despite the 2500 (UT50) vs. 600 Hz (ST30) scanning.
Any alternative recommendations or suggestions?
Thank you very much!

They say that its online
but when you try to check out it States that it is out of stock.
Mike1527 is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Check Costco instore and see if they still have a 42ST30 in stock.
tylerSC is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck View Post

Please do not hate me for suggesting an X3.

If you want something in the 42 inch range, I posted some info in the Plasma Buyers Guide section of this forum. The 42X3 is on sale at clearance prices at a major retailer and selling out fast. It will not compete with my 65GT30, but for an overall value, it fit my price point which was $400.00, for a bedroom TV that averages one hour of viewing per day. It is also WiFi ready. Yes, you will pay about $60 for the dongle, but you could also use the Ethernet cable for free. Great price for a quality Panny plasma.

Just my 2 cents, but there has been a lot of criticism on this forum when it comes to 720p plasma TV's. I have seen the measurements on these sets and despite the price, I was surprised how good the contrast and black levels are compared to the Neo PDP's. Grey scale gamma is decent and so is color accuracy. If you're not looking to shell out a lot of cash for extra features and 3D, the X3 series is very good set. However, if you plan to sit fairly close to these sets, the only issue that may be worth considering is that their larger pixels can cause a SDE.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
PathofNeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had the 42ST30 but sold it due to fbr issues. I had an early model and didn't feel like waiting for the fix. The problem is that I've yet to find anything better in it's class. I don't want to go bigger than 42" as this will go in my bedroom and will be used as a PC gaming monitor (among other things).

The ST30 was actually perfect for PC gaming. It had virtually zero lag so it was a worthy CRT replacement..and I loved the screen size. Okay so now I know the ST30 has been fixed.. but have they? Some ppl say it's not really fixed and others say it is so which is it? If I get a brand new 42ST30 (assuming I find one) will I not have annoying blackouts in my picture? (its easy for me to tell being a pc gamer in dark scenes).

The other question is how does the 42UT50 stack up to the 42ST30? If I'm buying new again I figure I may as well get the newer model but seeing as it's not the ST-series how gimped will it be?

Let me emphasize this... I DO NOT CARE FOR ANTI-REFLECT FILTER.

This tv will be going in a closet in a room with no windows. It would be impossible to have any reflections and besides I like screens that are glossy because it brings out more contrast and sharpness IMO. The new ST50 I hear is not as glossy as last years so that's out of the picture (that and I don't want a 50"). Does the new UT-series have that anti-reflect screen as well? If so I'm gonna have to pass and seek a ST42 right now! But if the UT42 has a glossy screen like last years and it doesn't perform worse than last year's ST then it will save me the hassle.

Bottom line what am I sacrificing by going with the 42UT50 opposed to 42ST30? I don't need filters and only use 1 hdmi cable so what else? Be honest will I have lesser PQ? Games looked beautiful on the 42ST30 if it wasn't for that brightness problem so can I expect the same out of the 42UT50?

Help?
PathofNeo is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I had the 42ST30 but sold it due to fbr issues. I had an early model and didn't feel like waiting for the fix. The problem is that I've yet to find anything better in it's class. I don't want to go bigger than 42" as this will go in my bedroom and will be used as a PC gaming monitor (among other things).

The ST30 was actually perfect for PC gaming. It had virtually zero lag so it was a worthy CRT replacement..and I loved the screen size. Okay so now I know the ST30 has been fixed.. but have they? Some ppl say it's not really fixed and others say it is so which is it? If I get a brand new 42ST30 (assuming I find one) will I not have annoying blackouts in my picture? (its easy for me to tell being a pc gamer in dark scenes).

The other question is how does the 42UT50 stack up to the 42ST30? If I'm buying new again I figure I may as well get the newer model but seeing as it's not the ST-series how gimped will it be?

Let me emphasize this... I DO NOT CARE FOR ANTI-REFLECT FILTER.

This tv will be going in a closet in a room with no windows. It would be impossible to have any reflections and besides I like screens that are glossy because it brings out more contrast and sharpness IMO. The new ST50 I hear is not as glossy as last years so that's out of the picture (that and I don't want a 50"). Does the new UT-series have that anti-reflect screen as well? If so I'm gonna have to pass and seek a ST42 right now! But if the UT42 has a glossy screen like last years and it doesn't perform worse than last year's ST then it will save me the hassle.

Bottom line what am I sacrificing by going with the 42UT50 opposed to 42ST30? I don't need filters and only use 1 hdmi cable so what else? Be honest will I have lesser PQ? Games looked beautiful on the 42ST30 if it wasn't for that brightness problem so can I expect the same out of the 42UT50?

Help?


The UT series does not have an AR filter. Based on your preferences, I don't believe you will be disappointed with the 42UT50. http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...asma_spec.html



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Member
 
sboychuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently picked up a 42X3 from BB for 399.00 on clearance. I ran slides for 125 hours and dialed in some settings. I hung it on the wall in the bedroom last weekend. It has a pretty good picture at 6 feet away. It is not as good as my calibrated 65GT30, but it cost a lot less. I think 720P is fine and I also have an ATV2 hooked up. For the price, the 42X3 fit my budget!
sboychuck is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off