Should I wait for VT50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have enjoyed my upgraded 5020 (111FD) for quite some time now. But I find it to be too small in my new home.
I was extremely bothered to find that the Kuro crown has not been passed along yet.

My dilema is this, even after unlocking my 5020 to Elite status, I still find the picture too dim for many situations (Yes even in IFS Day). I love the set but more dim than I would like for daytime viewing. I want to have my pop and eat it to.
Now I am faced with:
1) 70" Sharp Elite (I dont do LED period) simply because of the horrid viewing angles. Plus the redonkulous price takes this one out of the picture.
2) Sammy 64" ( I dont do peeling screens and poor blacks and poor customer service.)
3) 65VT30 I think I am just fine with black level performance and the minor calibration issues regarding color. What is holding me back is it seems even more dim than my 5020 coupled with the "specualtion" that the VT50 "may" provide the luminance I am looking for and quite possibly blacks to match the Kuro. And to be honest, if the blacks are higher by .001 or so, I could give care less.

1.5X brighter regardless of how they mean it, sounds pretty damn good to me. If that holds true, I would be happy regardless of the black levels dropping or staying where the VT30 is right now.

I know this is a personal questions and there is no "right" answer. Just looking for some input form fellow OCD perfection junkies that are never satisfied.

Thanks

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

Head on though, I think it smokes my Kuros a$$.

The 70" size must be fooling you. Your opinion though so you're right.

I'd wait for the VT50. Black level and overall performance should be better than the VT30.

home theater addict
post #3 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Liked: 10
Buy the 2012 VT50 and then wait for the 2013 model line to mull over your decision for buying the 2012 model.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Don't you just love technology?

home theater addict
post #5 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldavman View Post

Buy the 2012 VT50 and then wait for the 2013 model line to mull over your decision for buying the 2012 model.

Constructive stuff there as true as it sometimes may be. But a 1.5x difference in luminance is not as simple a matter as you are making it out. It is easy to chase technology and find only sight improvement once you catch up to the carrot.

If they were touting 1.2x increase in luminance, your assesment would be on point.

And I will revise my statement of "elite kicking my kuros a$$" to It looked a touch crisper to me and far more pop.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page