Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post

I am curious to know the differences between ST50 and VT50 after calibration. Any inputs from the calibrators?

Check out calibration reports by Chad B. He has or will do extensive reports on the ST50, GT50, and the VT50. His reports are in the owner's thread for each model, and they are probably at Cleveland Plasma which is a forum sponsor. You can find a link to their web site at the top of every page.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I tested out my new 60st50 last night and it has the fluctuating brightness issue. I was watching the heat vs pacers and every time they went to the left side of the court, the screen darkened and to the right, it brightened. It was very annoying. I didn't see it watching anything else including commercials. I have no idea what in the image was driving it since everything looked more or less the same on each side.

Can this be fixed?
post #2973 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I tested out my new 60st50 last night and it has the fluctuating brightness issue. I was watching the heat vs pacers and every time they went to the left side of the court, the screen darkened and to the right, it brightened. It was very annoying. I didn't see it watching anything else including commercials. I have no idea what in the image was driving it since everything looked more or less the same on each side.

Can this be fixed?

Hate to ask but is CATS(Dynamic Contrast) turned off ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2974 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used his slides and settings from the HDJ forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Can you clarify please.

Are you using D-Nice's settings or did he personally calibrate your display? If he personally calibrated your display, I want to add your report the the list linked below.

post #2975 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Hate to ask but is CATS(Dynamic Contrast) turned off ?

Don't know. I just plugged in the hdmi cable and turned on the tv to make sure it worked. Didn't change any settings.
post #2976 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Liked: 10
I've had my ST50 for about almost two weeks now. At night, I leave it on the color slides recommended on this forum, and also during the day while I'm at work. I turn the contrast and brightness up a bit while running the slides, but for normal viewing I turn the contrast/brightness to below 50 (~30). I'm pretty sure I'm over the 100 hr mark, and more than likely approaching 150-200 hrs.

At what point would it be safe to turn the settings up when playing videogames w/ HUD's? I've played sparingly with different games and noticed some IR, although nothing that I really worry about. I am just trying to avoid persistent IR, as I would like to avoid having to switch every 1/2 hour to hour.

Also, to anyone who owns the ST50, are you having issues with buzzing? This is my first plasma, so i'm not sure what's considered loud, but i definitely notice a buzz if the volume is low.
post #2977 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avplayer18 View Post

Had D-nice come calibrate my 65st50 on sat mornin before he did the shootout. Had just over 120 hrs of slides runnin before he arrived. Love the picture and mosre importantly, the flash lighting is much less noticeable now than before while watchin Rangers/Devils

I thought flashlighting was an issue relative to only LCD TV's?
post #2978 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Can this be fixed?

Had the same issue when trying to watch the hockey playoffs. After D-nice calibrated it though its much less noticeable. Still there but not nearly as bad or as annoying as before
post #2979 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Don't know. I just plugged in the hdmi cable and turned on the tv to make sure it worked. Didn't change any settings.

well there you have it.. out of the box its in standard mode with not so nice settings.

My 55ST50 also had some FBR out of the box while watching Rangers/Devils on Mon, once I changed to D-Nice none-prep settings after 1st period was over FBR was very much gone during the rest of the game. (that was via component cable).

Last night i switched everything to HDMIs and all inputs run D-Nice none-prep settings. I'll report on FBR after tonight's game.. so far i'm loving the PQ and TV over all (and whoever came up with ARC/HDMI controle idea deserves a brewski). I do have some buzzing going from dark to bright, but i expect it to get better as the TV ages, also hanging it on the wall will most likely reduce it as it will not be amplified by the wall behind.
post #2980 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Maybe i used the wrong terminology but its the issue that people as having when watchin indoor sports like basketball or hockey were the brightness dims when cameras take flash picutres
post #2981 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Think Hockey game and all of the discussions about light fluctuations on the Plasma forums.
post #2982 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avplayer18 View Post

Maybe i used the wrong terminology but its the issue that people as having when watchin indoor sports like basketball or hockey were the brightness dims when cameras take flash picutres

No. Flashlighting is when an LCD TV has what looks like someone pointing a flashlight from the corner of the set toward the center, from the inside. Like the flashlight animation on cartoons, where you can see the beam. Make sense? Plasmas don't have flashlighting.
post #2983 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey_Lips View Post

I've had my ST50 for about almost two weeks now. At night, I leave it on the color slides recommended on this forum, and also during the day while I'm at work. I turn the contrast and brightness up a bit while running the slides, but for normal viewing I turn the contrast/brightness to below 50 (~30). I'm pretty sure I'm over the 100 hr mark, and more than likely approaching 150-200 hrs.

At what point would it be safe to turn the settings up when playing videogames w/ HUD's? I've played sparingly with different games and noticed some IR, although nothing that I really worry about. I am just trying to avoid persistent IR, as I would like to avoid having to switch every 1/2 hour to hour.

Also, to anyone who owns the ST50, are you having issues with buzzing? This is my first plasma, so i'm not sure what's considered loud, but i definitely notice a buzz if the volume is low.

I have never owned a plasma that was completely buzz free.

My 60st50 has an audible buzz when the majority of the screen is white but it is nothing that I can hear over the fan of my ps3 and definitely nothing I hear watching normal content. In fact I would go so far as to say it is probably the most unobtrusive buzz I have heard from a plasma set. Not a problem at all.

How loud a buzz is before you consider it a problem is a different story as that is relative to your sensitivity to it.
post #2984 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Hello guys,
I just saw that 60st50 is sold for a really low price at Amazon. İ was thinking of buying a 65". How is the black levels of 60" compared to 65". Also does 5" jump in the screen size jusify the price difference?

Thanks,
Yenal
post #2985 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Also for buzz i noticed something.

My TV is sitting on BDI stand which is about 25" from the ground and it puts TV about 2' from the wall, sitting on my couch dead center in front of the TV i hear some buzz going from dark to light picture, moving just a bit left or right or down and buzz becomes un-audible. This makes me think that dead center is a acoustical sweet spot for buzz bouncing of off the wall behind the TV. Mounting it on wall 1 foot higher from current position might just kill buzz entirely.
post #2986 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

D-Nice holds the same opinion about the difference between the ST50 and the GT50. He probably knows any significant differences that there might be.

Fair enough if PQ is the only deciding factor however for me I have to have the complete package especially where advertised features come into play. While the ST50 is a nice budget set, IMO it fails in regards to the apps and multitasking due to the slow processor and as D-NICE mentioned, styling, which is something very important to me. GT50 and VT50 IMO are much better looking TV's and they both offer the dual core processor for the apps and multitasking. Also connectivity is limited on the ST50 against the GT50 and VT50.

The GT50 is a very nice balance for people who want the majority of the VT50's features but don't have the budget for them.

If PQ is the only thing that's important and you're a budget conscious person then of course the ST50 is a good buy.

Personally I think all models that have the Viera Connect feature should have a dual core processor, it's kinda lame that an advertised feature runs slow and is limited in functionality unless you have the faster processor.
post #2987 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

Hello guys,
I just saw that 60st50 is sold for a really low price at Amazon. İ was thinking of buying a 65". How is the black levels of 60" compared to 65". Also does 5" jump in the screen size jusify the price difference?

Thanks,
Yenal

i went from 42 to 55, and i must say i'm still getting used to the size.. mind you i'm at least 10' from TV. go to displaywars.com to compare sizes.

not sure about black levels, should be same since they both use same screen..
post #2988 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Fair enough if PQ is the only deciding factor however for me I have to have the complete package especially where advertised features come into play. While the ST50 is a nice budget set, IMO it fails in regards to the apps and multitasking due to the slow processor and as D-NICE mentioned, styling, which is something very important to me. GT50 and VT50 IMO are much better looking TV's and they both offer the dual core processor for the apps and multitasking. Also connectivity is limited on the ST50 against the GT50 and VT50.

The GT50 is a very nice balance for people who want the majority of the VT50's features but don't have the budget for them.

If PQ is the only thing that's important and you're a budget conscious person then of course the ST50 is a good buy.

Personally I think all models that have the Viera Connect feature should have a dual core processor, it's kinda lame that an advertised feature runs slow and is limited in functionality unless you have the faster processor.

The apps are plenty fast on my ST50, but I rarely use them. Occasionally I'll use the Netflix app when I don't need great sound and just use the speakers in the TV. Do they open in a manner I'd call "snappy"? I would not call it snappy, but they open just fine and the apps work perfectly when started. Saving a fraction of a second is not a big deal to me, I'm not that impatient. Anyway, otherwise I typically use my PS3 for Netflix and Amazon Prime viewing.

I'm not aware of any multitasking, and I am also not aware of any limited functionality between the ST and GT.
post #2989 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM

I have read every page of this thread and only saw 2 posts on this, but would like to ask what people are using when it comes to the HD Size? Full and Size 2 seems to look the best but I am just curious as to what people use. Does it fill your entire screen with picture?
post #2990 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

My ST50 set up has a dual core processor with full web functionality at 35/35mps speeds and 6 HDMI inputs. Of course I have already had my home computer hooked up to my displays for years now and I bought a Monoprice 4X1 HDMI switcher for $40 when my ex-500M had only 2 HDMI's. That is the beauty of this years Panasonics. They didn't skimp on picture quality for the most part between models just on features that some may or may not need. In regards to styling all I know is that the ST50 looks a heckuva lot better than the ST30 it replaced.
post #2991 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholygypsy View Post

I have read every page of this thread and only saw 2 posts on this, but would like to ask what people are using when it comes to the HD Size? Full and Size 2 seems to look the best but I am just curious as to what people use. Does it fill your entire screen with picture?

Using FULL and HD Size 2 does fill the screen on 1920x1080 content. That is what i leave my TVs on. HD Size 1 adds about 5% overscan and i never ever use it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #2992 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM

I'm so confused now. I was almost decided that i'll go with 50 inch ST50, but then i read about some problems with it. FB, IR, buzz, banding, green/pink tints etc.

Who can recommend sth good for me?

I need TV (either plasma or LCD), about 50 inch, budget around 1200 EUR / 1600 USD (50"ST50 is about equivalent of 1100 EUR in Poland), it must be good for playing FPP PC games (low input lag) and watching 1080p movies (MKV+DTS) from portable HDD (Samsung S2 750 GB) - files > 8GB (need dual core CPU in tv?) and it must have optical out to my logitech z-5500 speakers. 3D performence is not important.

My room is bright, windows are perpendicular to the tv so good antyreflective sreen coating required. I'll be sitting 3.5 m away from tv.

I was thinking about ST50, Samsung plasma E6500 (cheaper and comes with 2 pairs of glasses, but no reviews on the net!), or LCD Samsung ES6800. The more i read the more stupid i get. Every TV has sth wrong with it. PQ wise panasonic is very good but i'll shoot myself if i get a tv set that has FB or problems with fast pc games

Is there a tv to fulfill my needs? How ST50 handle large 1080p MKV files?
post #2993 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post

I used his slides and settings from the HDJ forum.

Thanks. Enjoy.

Calibration Resources:

post #2994 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Using FULL and HD Size 2 does fill the screen on 1920x1080 content. That is what i leave my TVs on. HD Size 1 adds about 5% overscan and i never ever use it.

Thank you for that, I just found these setting last night because and they were defaulted on Full and HD Size 1. Size 2 definitely looks better, one more quick question do you use the Pixel Orbiter? I read turning this off also gives you more of a full screen.
post #2995 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just a quick update on my 55ST50.

Ran the slides and used D-nice's settings.

No flickers, no flashes, no vertical lines, no excessive heat, no buzzing, etc...

Now I suppose if I sat there and watched the corner of the TV or focused in the white portions of the screen or participated in any other of the multitude of obessive behaviors, I might, or I might think, I see these things. Myself, I just like to enjoy the material and let other people worry about the rest.

Thanks,

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #2996 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholygypsy View Post

Thank you for that, I just found these setting last night because and they were defaulted on Full and HD Size 1. Size 2 definitely looks better, one more quick question do you use the Pixel Orbiter? I read turning this off also gives you more of a full screen.

I don't use the Pixel Orbiter. It's virtually useless and not necessary.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #2997 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't use the Pixel Orbiter. It's virtually useless and not necessary.

Care to expain this to me? I always thought the Pixel Orbiter was a good deterrent to IR. If it really doesn't have an effect, I would rather turn it off. What is your reasoning for calling it "useless"? I appreciate the info.
post #2998 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

well there you have it.. out of the box its in standard mode with not so nice settings.

My 55ST50 also had some FBR out of the box while watching Rangers/Devils on Mon, once I changed to D-Nice none-prep settings after 1st period was over FBR was very much gone during the rest of the game. (that was via component cable).

Last night i switched everything to HDMIs and all inputs run D-Nice none-prep settings. I'll report on FBR after tonight's game.. so far i'm loving the PQ and TV over all (and whoever came up with ARC/HDMI controle idea deserves a brewski). I do have some buzzing going from dark to bright, but i expect it to get better as the TV ages, also hanging it on the wall will most likely reduce it as it will not be amplified by the wall behind.

Sounds promising. Can you point me to where I can setup according to D-Nice none-prep settings?
post #2999 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

Hello guys,

Thanks,
Yenal

I would jump on that price. I bought a 60" over a 65" because of the big price difference and with the amazon price, it's a no brainer.

Think of it this way. The money you'll save will probably be enough to buy half a 65ST50 in about a year, so if you change your mind, you could probably sell the 60" and buy the 65" and have a few hundred left over.
post #3000 of 10003 Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Think I'm going to have to remove all 4:3 shows from my server, my gf just won't use the "zoom", "just" or even the grey background.

Every day when I get home from work, Friends is playing with the big black bars.

I give a
she goes "whaaaat??",

I grab the remote, change the aspect ratio,

she says "I don't like that".

I say, "can I buy a new TV when this one gets ruined?"

She says, "That won't happen".

I say "Are you going to argue with me on techy stuff?"

She says "you're not getting a new TV."

End of subject.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page