Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Just wondering if there's anything new to report on the IR front for the ST50's this year? Is IR the same, better or worse than last year's ST30 models?

I asked D-Nice and he said that he noticed some IR with test patterns, but no noticeable IR during regular viewing like last year. So I'm assuming it's better.

@Chad, wondering if you noticed any IR or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Just that the LG had a lot more.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Chad for your time and review.

One more question for you, ST50 worse, equal to, or better than the LHX? I am really, really happy with that TV but it is too large to mount in my available drywall opening. Looking to get an ST50 in the 50" range for PQ and better viewing angles as I will be using an articulating mount for various viewing locations.

Thanks again Chad

Fej
post #364 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks to D-Nice and Chad B, I just placed an order for a 55ST50. I should have it sometime early next week. I feel like I got a great deal as it included a free wall mount/free shipping. PM me for pricing/retailer details.

EDIT: (If I'm not allowed to say "free shipping/wall mount," I can remove that portion of my post)
post #365 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM

Any word on Best Buy carrying the 50" ST50? It seems like they are only getting the 55 inch?
post #366 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazlog View Post

David Mackenzie @ HDTVTest's review of the ST50 is here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panas...1203191731.htm

Them dogs! They get the 42" size I should have!
post #367 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

My cable co switched to all digital for SD, no more analog. I need a converter for my old crt's. Using analog b4 the switch it looked bad but the digital equivalents on the clear qam channels look fine, I even zoom them and it's not bad. In that location I had a crappy cable wire that didn't help. Now the older tv's look better than analog, I think the resolution is higher, like from 330i to 480i. Did you scan for digital channels? Your cable should have at least most of the locals in HD.

Took my Sony back today. On the hunt again!
After more measuring I'm not sure a 50 incher will fit. A little twist a little turn here and a shove and it might go! After being on the Panasonic site I seen some new high end led Panasonics I may need to consider. They sound promising but you can only believe half of what you read. To bad we don't get the 42" ST like the UK.
My basic and extended basic cable is still analog and all the other channels are digital. I had the clear digital channels on the Sony. I found that the some of the analog channels looked better than some of the digital channels.
post #368 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 582
With the ST50 being do good, I wonder how the bigger models will play out.......

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #369 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM

post #370 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-...0~7PSTV256.htm
post #371 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Wow, they measured 0.009cdm2 (0.0026fL). Maybe their meter is a little off, or maybe the European model is different. Either way, the ST50 seems to have very good black levels. Plus they mentioned that it measured lower than the VT30. Only 16ms of input lag, too.

Pretty impressed with the improvements this year. I can't wait to get mine!

Wasn't that for 50Hz input? I thought I remember that 60Hz came out a bit brighter-- not that I'm complaining! Those numbers are pretty amazing!

Either way I was more stuck on the part where they mentioned the greenish/yellowish discoloration towards the middle of the screen! After my battle with the green/pink blob monster I may have to sit this one out...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #372 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Wasn't that for 50Hz input? I thought I remember that 60Hz came out a bit brighter-- not that I'm complaining! Those numbers are pretty amazing!

Either way I was more stuck on the part where they mentioned the greenish/yellowish discoloration towards the middle of the screen! After my battle with the green/pink blob monster I may have to sit this one out...

Yes, but 60Hz still measured 0.011cdm2 (0.003fL). 24p sources measured 0.009cdm2 as well. Overall, measurements are lower than the NA model.

But again, good black levels all around.
post #373 of 10003 Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Good price for the 60" anyone order from them.
Allen
post #374 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

Good price for the 60" anyone order from them.
Allen

You might want to check the shipping........
post #375 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 AM

quick Q: Well, first off, just to make sure, are 'phosphor afterglow', 'phosphor lag' and 'phosphor trailing' just different names for the same phenomenon?

If so, has anyone noticed it on an ST50? I know some people, D-Nice included, say they don't see it on plasmas anymore, but a good number of people say they can still see it on panasonics but much less with samsungs.

"I'd only recommend a plasma over an LCD if you watch movies, tv shows or play videogames"
post #376 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_D View Post

quick Q: Well, first off, just to make sure, are 'phosphor afterglow', 'phosphor lag' and 'phosphor trailing' just different names for the same phenomenon?

If so, has anyone noticed it on an ST50? I know some people, D-Nice included, say they don't see it on plasmas anymore, but a good number of people say they can still see it on panasonics but much less with samsungs.

If your looking for it you shall see it.
Yes its all the same thing.
Just try and enjoy your tvs and not look for trouble. All tvs have at least a couple of things that could make your life miserable if you want it to. So why look for it?

St series seems VERY good value for money!
post #377 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle five View Post

Just try and enjoy your tvs and not look for trouble. All tvs have at least a couple of things that could make your life miserable if you want it to. So why look for it?

You're absolutely right, so many of these issues people bring up are basically academic, they won't effect your viewing experience and you won't notice them unless you're trying to. I guess I'm just curious is all, but I have read a few people say phosphor lag is an absolute deal breaker for them. Can it really be that unpleasent?

Damn, I'm dying to watch TRON on an ST50.

"I'd only recommend a plasma over an LCD if you watch movies, tv shows or play videogames"
post #378 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 AM

I am in the way to switch to a new plasma display. Actually I have a Samsung PS50A550 TV which I love the color it has, but black levels are not fantastic and I hate its phosphor lag and horrible False Contouring in 50hz modes (also IR is quite evident).

How does this ST50 compare to my Sammy in posterization and phospor trails? I suppose there should be a huge improvement.

My intention is to get a 42" ST50 for my bedroom and a 60" Sammy PSE8000 for the living room where I don't need so good black levels.
post #379 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Phosphor trails on Panasonics are pretty bad - the worst of the major brands. I can still seem them (barely) on Samsungs and have to really go out of my way to scientifically see them on an LG set.

Of course, those of you who can't see them or don't care - lucky you!

Easiest way to see them - put on a bright white screen and open your palms up and wave them in front of the set. You'll see green and yellow trails between your fingers and around your hand. Never met anyone who couldn't see them on a set that way.

=Tommy v2=
post #380 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure the waving the hand method is actually showing phosphor lag. The reason I say that is that it can produce a similar effect on just about any type of display?

As someone who was very susceptible to "rainbows" on DLP I would suspect I would also be someone more prone to seeing phosphor lag. With DLP I could see rainbows on pretty much every display (some with the faster colour wheels I had to look for it but could still see it easily if I did).

I havent viewed the ST50 in any way but having owned a panny plasma for the past 6 years and viewed many in stores (not optimal viewing I realize) phosphor lag is something I would almost never notice unless specifically looking for it.

However if my settings are way off (i.e. the Vivid preset) I can definitely see it way more. Much like DLP the severity of the effect can change with settings/viewing evnironment I'm guessing?
post #381 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Tron looks great on a P50ST50.

A poor camera shot of the display in the final resting place and a closer shot of the bezel....which in concurrence with a review, does blend in with dark scenes and makes me do a double take.
LL
LL
post #382 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

Tron looks great on a P50ST50.

A poor camera shot of the display in the final resting place and a closer shot of the bezel....which in concurrence with a review, does blend in with dark scenes and makes me do a double take.

Looking good
post #383 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Nice! The ST50 series is shaping up to include everything I'm looking for in a new plasma. Can anyone confirm whether the anti-reflective treatment is as good as or better than last year's ST30 series?

Anyone? Thanks.

for my home theater setup
post #384 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Anyone? Thanks.

Its about the same

post #385 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_D View Post

You're absolutely right, so many of these issues people bring up are basically academic, they won't effect your viewing experience and you won't notice them unless you're trying to. I guess I'm just curious is all, but I have read a few people say phosphor lag is an absolute deal breaker for them. Can it really be that unpleasent?

Damn, I'm dying to watch TRON on an ST50.

Of course it CAN be, hardly think so on this st50 series though! But sure, on an older set watching certain material it can be seen and if you really get annoyed and cant stop thinking about it then sure, it could be a problem. But in 99,99% its not! I think there is rather much on my old panasonic px8, but nobody who has ever looked at it has seen it, or been bothered by it.
But dont think even a picky person would get any problems with a new panasonic.

Looked at hd-dvd yesterday on my 37 inch panasonic CRT(!) and THAT tv has phosphorlag, or afterglow as its really called on CRT. Its got a lot of other issues as well. But sure, GREAT blacks!
post #386 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv2 View Post

Phosphor trails on Panasonics are pretty bad - the worst of the major brands. I can still seem them (barely) on Samsungs and have to really go out of my way to scientifically see them on an LG set.

Of course, those of you who can't see them or don't care - lucky you!

Easiest way to see them - put on a bright white screen and open your palms up and wave them in front of the set. You'll see green and yellow trails between your fingers and around your hand. Never met anyone who couldn't see them on a set that way.

Well, that hand thing was new, but hardly a measure of phosphorlag?
What you will see doing that is evidence of dithering. And since that is how plasma works it will always show something.
I guess its a dlp/rbe trick you tried on a plasma? Dlp is dithering too.

If you really wanna compare phosphor lag, i do it with the sidescrolling menu on xbox 360. Rather obvious how good or bad it is using same menu scrolling back and forth.
But new menu looks a bit different but should work fine.
But best is just to ignore the whole issue, so that it doesnt become an issue!
post #387 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle five View Post

I had last years Panny ST30 and when I moved my eyes left or right, I noticed the green flashes, trails. I don't notice it on Samsung plasmas, when I see them at the stores. But, I ended up getting a Samsung LED as I didn't want to take a chance with plasmas again. Even though plasma has excellent picture quality.
post #388 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1000 View Post

I had last years Panny ST30 and when I moved my eyes left or right, I noticed the green flashes, trails. I don't notice it on Samsung plasmas, when I see them at the stores. But, I ended up getting a Samsung LED as I didn't want to take a chance with plasmas again. Even though plasma has excellent picture quality.

This could be another example of viewing environment affecting the issue as well. It would make sense that its harder to see in stores as they generally have bright lighting which could mask the issue.

Also keep in mind that during normal viewing people arent moving their heads left to right. As I was saying in my previous post I could see DLP rainbows very easily but with the faster colour wheels it was something I could easily not notice during normal viewing (moving my head caused the effect as well) and it was easy to look past.

As far as putting up an all-white screen I'm not sure how that could show phosphor lag as in order to get phosphor lag they need to change but if the screen is just pure white there is no change and therefore no lag?
post #389 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 PM

after much waiting I've owned my 55st50 for about 24 hours and so far the tv is great. i also picked up 2 pairs of the new glasses and 3d looks quite stunning to boot. I was looking at like the gt but took DNICEs advice and the money i saved will be going towards a calibration
post #390 of 10003 Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any chance of some pictures.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page