Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Were you able to see the "static image" when you watched other program material like TV, DVD or Blu-ray?

Not really. I see more effect from black bars on my old PX80 on a dark screen. MY beef was with the white lettered BELL logo from looking at my channal guide and pvr menu that took aboout 8-10 hours to disapear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 13
I got a 50ST50 today smile.gif So far pretty pleased with it. As far as I can see no dead pixels, but I do have some slight "DSE" or "Vertical banding" on the right side of the screen. Doesn't look like it will affect me too much though smile.gif
I have no oil painting stuff going on here either smile.gif

Has anyone tried using the ARC feature on HDMI2? I have my Yamaha A1010 hooked up (using the right inputs/outputs on both TV and AVR) but I can't seem to get any sound at all. I have ARC turned on, on the AVR, but I can't find an ARC setting on the TV itself. Looking in the manual didn't help much either frown.gif
post #6123 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM

the manual is horrible. I'm using the ARC feature and it's working perfectly. Have not tried the apps yet, like Pandora.
post #6124 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Did you have to change anything in TV's settings to make ARC work?
post #6125 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM

not that i remember. I'll check my settings when i get home. I using the Sony HT-ct550 soundbar, so it's pretty easy to setup.
post #6126 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Could someone explain to me the difference between the different HDMI ports on this TV? I've heard it matters what you plug into which.

Also, what is this ARC thing?
post #6127 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Oh and also, I'm going to be mounting mine on the wall and I was wondering if anyone has any entertainment stands they recommend to put below the TV. I want to be able to put my center channel on the stand too w/out blocking the TV view (obviously) so I want it to be a fairly low profile stand. I'm looking for a black finish as well.

Anyone have any pictures of their setups similar, or any stands they recommend?
post #6128 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

not that i remember. I'll check my settings when i get home. I using the Sony HT-ct550 soundbar, so it's pretty easy to setup.

Thank you that would be nice. It seems like it should be very simple to set up. I got through the rest of the setup blindfolded smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

ARC is Audio Return Channel. You can use the same HDMI cable that connects the video out on the AVR to the TV, to send the TV's audio back to the AVR. That way you don't need separate analog or optical cables for sound.
post #6129 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Could someone explain to me the difference between the different HDMI ports on this TV? I've heard it matters what you plug into which.

Basically i run my Cable box to the back of my AVR with one HDMI cable, i run my PS3 to the back of my AVR with another HDMI cable and then run one HDMI cable from the back of the AVR to the back of the TV(HDMI 2 ARC). And thats it. The AVR runs the separate HDMIs and switches everything with the click of a button on the AVR
post #6130 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Oooh okay so I think I get it. It's basically like in/out in the same cable?

So sethmp, what would happen if you ran one HDMI cable from your AVR to the TV on HDMI1 slot instead of the 2 slot?
post #6131 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Just got my 60ST50 today. Started running the prep slides and am noticing a distinct buzz from the back of the TV. It gets louder or softer depending on the whiteness of the display. Audible at 10 ft! I'm going to check the screws on the back, even though it sounds internal. I'll probably return it and look for something else. Bummed.
post #6132 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM

I am still on the fence with plasma or LED. I want the ST55 or 60 depending on avaliblity but all the threads about burn in have just got me freaked. I have to kids 10 /8 and they wound't understand not to watch carton network for 3-4 hrs at a time and I watch ESPN a lot witch worries me. I saw the 55' in action at Best Buy and feel in love with just the Demo they had on it but I am just worried about all the burn in talk and dont know if I want to mess with it.
I want the best picture, I am a little bit of a step up from novice with tv's, Do you think I should mess with Plasma with all its break in steps or just get a good rated LED?

May the Force be with you.
post #6133 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konsolkongen View Post

I got a 50ST50 today smile.gif So far pretty pleased with it. As far as I can see no dead pixels, but I do have some slight "DSE" or "Vertical banding" on the right side of the screen. Doesn't look like it will affect me too much though smile.gif
I have no oil painting stuff going on here either smile.gif
Has anyone tried using the ARC feature on HDMI2? I have my Yamaha A1010 hooked up (using the right inputs/outputs on both TV and AVR) but I can't seem to get any sound at all. I have ARC turned on, on the AVR, but I can't find an ARC setting on the TV itself. Looking in the manual didn't help much either frown.gif

To get my Sony A/V receiver to work correctly with my ST50 I had to change both settings on the A/V remote to fiddle witht e ARC settings and also had to fiddle with the settings on my cable box to switch from digital to HDMI output using the cable box remote. Also I had to route all devices throught the inputs on the A/V receiver and have just a single out coming from the A/V to input #2 of the tv. Now everything plays great Dolby through my home theater setup. My tv, blue Ray, and any file I stream off my NAS hooked up through my tv's DLNA settings. The only thing to set on the tv is turn off the tv speakers and select theater mode.
post #6134 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post

I am still on the fence with plasma or LED. I want the ST55 or 60 depending on avaliblity but all the threads about burn in have just got me freaked. I have to kids 10 /8 and they wound't understand not to watch carton network for 3-4 hrs at a time and I watch ESPN a lot witch worries me. I saw the 55' in action at Best Buy and feel in love with just the Demo they had on it but I am just worried about all the burn in talk and dont know if I want to mess with it.
I want the best picture, I am a little bit of a step up from novice with tv's, Do you think I should mess with Plasma with all its break in steps or just get a good rated LED?

I feel sorry for people that have experienced "burn in", that said I feel it is an issue way over blown. It is NOT normal for a plasma to have burn-in. There's actually two terms which I'll try to define. Imagine retention referres to a minor "ghost" image that quckly fades, typically in seconds. I see this, but only right have the initial Viara spash screen which is very bright on a jet black screen. If goes away literally with 4-5 seconds. The more serious "burn in" can (rarely) result form a bug (network logo) being very bright and staying on screen, meaning you don't change channels for hours. I personally haven't seen this and I have watched channels like MSNBC with stock market crawls almost always on the bottom of the screen and other channels with big bright something or another.

Break-in steps (in my opinion) is also way overblown. I would error on the side of caution and just be extra careful watching on content with bars the first 100-200 hours if you decide to go with a plasma. After that not. The flip side is LED's tend to have their issues (also overblown) with banding, unevenness is color intensity, less than crisp motion of anything in motion. There's no such thing as a "perfect" tv. Also keep in mind some people posting to forums like this are border line fanatics when it comes to trying to get things perfect. A fool's mission. My advice, just enjoy whatever set you get and don't fall into the trap of being overly nitpicky.
EricST likes this.
post #6135 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman76 View Post

Quote:

Were you able to see the "static image" when you watched other program material like TV, DVD or Blu-ray?

Not really. I see more effect from black bars on my old PX80 on a dark screen. MY beef was with the white lettered BELL logo from looking at my channal guide and pvr menu that took aboout 8-10 hours to disapear.
Thanks for the additional information. It's important to know when IR intrudes into normal viewing since IR can be coming and going for the life of a plasma. smile.gif

Few people who report IR indicate if it's causing a problem during normal use of their displays.
post #6136 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Oooh okay so I think I get it. It's basically like in/out in the same cable?
So sethmp, what would happen if you ran one HDMI cable from your AVR to the TV on HDMI1 slot instead of the 2 slot?

I'll make a guess: you would not get any sound for OTA or Viera apps (assuming you already switched the TV speakers to 'Home Theater'.)
post #6137 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I understand your worry, and think peace of mind may need to be your number one criteria when you make up your mind about a new TV.

It may help you to know that "burn in" is almost impossible to find on modern plasma displays used in a home. Burn in is an image that's permanently etched into the screens phosphors. It would take leaving a fixed image on the screen for a very long time (months) before burn in would occur.

Image retention (IR) is what you have been reading about. Unfortunately there are a lot of posters who call IR "burn in".

It's very rare that anyone posts about IR that they can see when watching normal material. Most of the time they are seeing it on solid color slides or other times when the screen is one color. For me, that's a non-issue, but for some it drives them crazy that there may be IR present, even if they can't see it while they watch a Blu-ray, DVD or their favorite TV program.

If you can tolerate IR that you can't see, and if your family watches a wide range of mixed media, then you should be OK. One fellow posted that he liked to put ESPN on in the morning for background all day long. That guy probably should own a LCD/LED display. wink.gif

Go with the technology that you're most comfortable with. smile.gif
EricST likes this.
post #6138 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 PM

If you ran it to hdmi, you would not get any sound from your avr. Just checked and the tv settings are the same as when I bought it. I do remember I had to change the settings ony eh cable box and ps3
post #6139 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSponge View Post

Just got my 60ST50 today. Started running the prep slides and am noticing a distinct buzz from the back of the TV. It gets louder or softer depending on the whiteness of the display. Audible at 10 ft! I'm going to check the screws on the back, even though it sounds internal. I'll probably return it and look for something else. Bummed.

Mine is also quite audible at 8-9 ft, which is louder than normal according to other posters in this thread. I'm waiting for a call back from Panasonic Concierge support to set up an in-home service appointment since this can apparently be considerably alleviated by making adjustments inside the set. Something to consider if you really like the TV (I love it other than the buzzing issue)
post #6140 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:

I understand your worry, and think peace of mind may need to be your number one criteria when you make up your mind about a new TV.
It may help you to know that "burn in" is almost impossible to find on modern plasma displays used in a home. Burn in is an image that's permanently etched into the screens phosphors. It would take leaving a fixed image on the screen for a very long time (months) before burn in would occur.
Image retention (IR) is what you have been reading about. Unfortunately there are a lot of posters who call IR "burn in".
It's very rare that anyone posts about IR that they can see when watching normal material. Most of the time they are seeing it on solid color slides or other times when the screen is one color. For me, that's a non-issue, but for some it drives them crazy that there may be IR present, even if they can't see it while they watch a Blu-ray, DVD or their favorite TV program.
If you can tolerate IR that you can't see, and if your family watches a wide range of mixed media, then you should be OK. One fellow posted that he liked to put ESPN on in the morning for background all day long. That guy probably should own a LCD/LED display. wink.gif
Go with the technology that you're most comfortable with. smile.gif
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a 46' Toshiba LCD and the picture is very good, So LED and Plasma would both be different for me. My co-worker has had a 51 Samsung plasma that he just loves and has said nothing about IR or anything other then positive things about. I really want the ST55/60 . I will take your advise on this.

May the Force be with you.
post #6141 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

If you ran it to hdmi, you would not get any sound from your avr. Just checked and the tv settings are the same as when I bought it. I do remember I had to change the settings ony eh cable box and ps3

Ah okay.

So basically, if you want to run video/audio to/from your AVR and all of it's sources to your TV, you will want to use the HDMI2 to connect the TV to the AVR?
post #6142 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 PM

I was a bit muddy on just what ARC (audio return channel) is suppose to do, I found this article: http://hdguru.com/what-is-hdmi-arc-and-what-does-it-do-for-your-hdtv/8322/

The way I'm reading it I think the idea is the ST50 like most mid to high end tv's now have this kind of input which if I'm reading it right allows a single HDMI cable (if plugged into the arc HDMI input) to function as a two way cable, IF you have the newer standard (I think it is 1.6) HDMI cable (older cables may not work) which means it is more than a simple handshake connection and data can flow both ways back and forth between such connected devices.

From a practical viewpoint what good if any this provides IF you already have a A/V receiver I'm muddy on and perhaps somebody else might know. Here's where I'm fuzzy: Way back 8 years ago when I got my first plasma and my first A/V receiver the cable guy came out because to get a "digital" signial I needed a newer digital cable box and of course the cable company charges more, but the picture quality was as expected much better. BUT the cable guy goofed. He used componet from the new "digital" cable box to feed the video to my A/V receiver but just connected the analog red and white audio cables so the sound was "flat". I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so after the cable guy left I replaced the old red and white analog cables with a optical cable and Katty, bar the door, what a difference in the audio playback. IT blew my socks off.

So... was laboring under the impression that the cable company or whoever is supplying you a source IF digital, the signal is there, BUT it needs to be "processed" either by a A/V receiver or now by newer tv's directly. If so, and ARC capable is a A/V receiver really necessary anymore to get knock your socks off fully processed digital Dolby sound from your main device, in this case the tv?
post #6143 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Ah okay.
So basically, if you want to run video/audio to/from your AVR and all of it's sources to your TV, you will want to use the HDMI2 to connect the TV to the AVR?

Correct. Instead of running cable box to hdmi 1 and ps3 to hdmi 2 and blu ray to hdmi 3, you will run all your components to the avr and only one hdmi to the tv, and you will not need to run anything for sound to the tv from the avr. As long as your avr has arc compability and enough input hdmi slots, you will only need to run one cable to hdmi 2 from the avr. Your avr will now switch your components instead of you having to change the inputs via television. Another cool thing would be the Logitech harmony 300 remote. One button switches everything.
post #6144 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoyBlue View Post

The way I'm reading it I think the idea is the ST50 like most mid to high end tv's now have this kind of input which if I'm reading it right allows a single HDMI cable (if plugged into the arc HDMI input) to function as a two way cable, IF you have the newer standard (I think it is 1.6) HDMI cable (older cables may not work) which means it is more than a simple handshake connection and data can flow both ways back and forth between such connected devices.

The cables I use are fairly cheap 3.0m HDMI 1.4. Think that could be the issue?
post #6145 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Hey anyone know if theres anything wrong with holding the power button on the TV itself to exit the service menu?
post #6146 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Hi peeps, this is my first post. I have a UK model.

I've owned the 50 inch ST50 since July. I was starting to get concerned about this set because the picture was quite noisy. Not a problem I had with my old 42 inch PWD6 that this replaced. I've been trying to figure out for a while if this is normal, although recently I had reached the point where I knew something was not right and was planning on calling Panasonic support.

I decided to try plugging the TV directly into the wall socket, instead of into my Belkin surge protector, recently we had a printer technician fix out laser printer at work and he told me surge protectors can actually cause problems with some equipment. Well seems he was right!

All I can say is WOW, night and day difference. The picture is MUCH less noisy now. It's still not noise free, but then I live near koi ponds which have pumps running 24 hours which probably doesn't help.

Now the colours on my TV look pretty much solid, before they looked dithery and snowy. The noise is still present to some degree, but less pronounced and seems more uniform. On the color slides I'm running through white, red, green, blue all look pretty solid, the noise is more evident with gray if you look closely.

Also before when I switched on, the logo would appear and then the black would look fuzzy, like analog tv interference. This is almost non existent now.

Wish I'd figured this out before the movie I just watched Prometheus on Blu Ray. It actually looked good on "Dynamic" which is odd, because when I first used the TV dynamic looked horrible. I feel this TV does need a while to bed in. Most viewing is done with cinema or true cinema with a few minor contrast/brightness adjustments to please the eye. I also turn off most of the image processing 'enhancements' as I feel they aren't really necessary - these never made any different to the noise issue.

Q. Anyone have a "noise free" picture on their ST50?
post #6147 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyd View Post

Hi peeps, this is my first post. I have a UK model.
I've owned the 50 inch ST50 since July. .
Q. Anyone have a "noise free" picture on their ST50?

I enjoy an absolutely snow and noise free picture. The most obvious cause is your signal source. Either cable or satellite should give you a strong signal, if not complain to your provider. I did when I got my first plasma years ago. I didn't have a bad picture, but I knew it wasn't as good as it should be so the cable guy added a cable amplifier sometimes called a signal booster and it helped a lot. For those thinking wow, I can make my picture even better... no, this is only when the signal is sort of weak. If the signal is already strong adding a amplifer can actually make it worse and introduce other problems.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cable+amplifier+signal+booster&tag=googhydr
20&index=electronics&hvadid=8017954927&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9972209272116749647&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7ixfb0g920_b

How's your cables? A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link (I always wanted to say that), but seriously if you have a weak/damaged cable anyone in your setup that can wreck picture quality, introdduce noise, etc.. Before running out a buying new ones, try switching them around. Even the simple act of unplugging a component or HDMI cable and then putting it back can cure otherwise odd issues. Both kinds really need to make firm contact.
post #6148 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Liked: 15
I can't seem to find the hot dog button
post #6149 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I currently have a 46' Toshiba LCD and the picture is very good, So LED and Plasma would both be different for me.
LED is nothing but a LCD with LED back lighting. It's still the same technology. One difference is that your current TV has a full back light instead of edge lighting. That probably means that you have more uniform picture quality than you would get buying a LCD with LED edge lighting..
Quote:
My co-worker has had a 51 Samsung plasma that he just loves and has said nothing about IR or anything other then positive things about. I really want the ST55/60 . I will take your advise on this.
Avoid paranoia and all should be fine. wink.gif
EricST likes this.
post #6150 of 9989 Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konsolkongen View Post

The cables I use are fairly cheap 3.0m HDMI 1.4. Think that could be the issue?

I guess I misspoke before, the latest HDMI version seems to be 1.4, not 1.6. In any case that version introducted ARC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

If the cable otherwise seems good, that's probably not the issue.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page