Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6571 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Looking good. My 65 will be delivered late next week and can't wait to join the party smile.gif I plan to watch actual tv instead of slides so I hope that'll be ok wink.gif
Do you guys think i should purchase a phillips no 2 screwdriver and have the delivery people use that instead of a power tool? I've heard that the screws easily strip on these years Panny models but I'm not sure if it's widespread.
Every home should have a screwdriver set.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
^^^^ That was really helpful. Thank You.
post #6573 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. That clears that up and is what I thought...interesting. Another question...when close to the TV from with say a 4ft distance I can see some sort of mosquito or static noise. It is visible on any input without a signal even on the menus. I'm thinking since I have never owned or used a Plasma it's simply the phospors that are visible within close proximity to the TV? At a normal viewing distance they are hard if not impossible to see.
post #6574 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Liked: 18
OK, I am a little confused by this so I hope someone can help set me straight. I tried searching this forum first, but any time I tried searching I got every result which contains a "24" in a URL, etc.

Can the ST do 24 fps for Blu-rays? If so, what do I need to do to ensure this happens? I am using a PS3 as the BD player, so would I set that to "On" or "Automatic" for the "1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)" setting?

Thanks.

post #6575 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Try VLC Player, or Media Player Classic....You may also want to try getting a good codec pac....

Does Media Player Classic stream videos? I can't find any streaming menus?
post #6576 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^^^ That was really helpful. Thank You.
And dont let them touch your tv with ANY power tools.

post #6577 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJPB View Post

Thanks. That clears that up and is what I thought...interesting. Another question...when close to the TV from with say a 4ft distance I can see some sort of mosquito or static noise. It is visible on any input without a signal even on the menus. I'm thinking since I have never owned or used a Plasma it's simply the phospors that are visible within close proximity to the TV? At a normal viewing distance they are hard if not impossible to see.
Sounds normal to me.

post #6578 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEHD View Post

OK, I am a little confused by this so I hope someone can help set me straight. I tried searching this forum first, but any time I tried searching I got every result which contains a "24" in a URL, etc.
Can the ST do 24 fps for Blu-rays? If so, what do I need to do to ensure this happens? I am using a PS3 as the BD player, so would I set that to "On" or "Automatic" for the "1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)" setting?
Thanks.
The ST50 is essentially a 60Hz display, because the only refresh rate that 'properly' handles 24p (48Hz) is too low of a refresh rate so there's significant flicker. Since 60 cannot be evenly divided by 24, you have to convert 24 to 60. You can do this two ways: either set your PS3's 24p option to On and set your ST50's 24p direct in to 60Hz, or turn your PS3's 24p option off. Option 1 forces the ST50 to do the conversion, and option 2 forces the PS3 to do the conversion. Most people prefer option 1, myself included.
grik likes this.
post #6579 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

The ST50 is essentially a 60Hz display, because the only refresh rate that 'properly' handles 24p (48Hz) is too low of a refresh rate so there's significant flicker. Since 60 cannot be evenly divided by 24, you have to convert 24 to 60. You can do this two ways: either set your PS3's 24p option to On and set your ST50's 24p direct in to 60Hz, or turn your PS3's 24p option off. Option 1 forces the ST50 to do the conversion, and option 2 forces the PS3 to do the conversion. Most people prefer option 1, myself included.

Why dont plasmas do what LCDs do and use 120hz which covers both film bad video?
post #6580 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 PM

Liked: 12
I am looking at a 60" ST50 as a replacement for my dead PN50B860. Has anyone here upgraded from Samsung B860 series?

I know the black level is superior in this but the reports of buzzing and lack of 96Hz availability for 24p material has me concerned. Can anyone comment on the buzzing compared to B860?

24p material was beautifully handled in B860 at 96Hz. Is 60Hz mode for 24p seamless or you can see the stutter/judder? Thanks.
post #6581 of 9986 Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Why dont plasmas do what LCDs do and use 120hz which covers both film bad video?
The VT50 has a 96Hz option, and so do certain LG and Samsung plasmas.
Really, it's not that important... my ST50 handles 24p fine.
post #6582 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoyBlue View Post

I have a 65 inch. I just did a test making custom 1920 x 1080 images in Photoshop of pure black (RGB 0,0,0) pure white (RGB 255,255,255) and each of the prime colors, Red, Green and Blue. I accessed same via the tv's DLNA ability and let each image remain on screen for a timed 3 minutes. No buzzing at all, no burn in after.

Could you also try some gray image, rather than full white or full black?
post #6583 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad721 View Post

That's correct. I've had two sets and both had the same issues, meaning the buzzing, short term IR and some vertical banding. I also confirmed that the one Best Buy had on display had the short term IR too.
My guess is that people that say they don't have a buzzing set is because they don't have sensitive ears or have a lot of ambient noise. With regard to the IR, I am fairly confident that this is something common with these sets and again, people not noticing it maybe because they sit too far away or aren't looking for these issues at all.
I really don't know if the short term IR issue is something that the 50" sets experience more than the 55, 60, 65 versions or if it gets better as time goes on. I find it hard to believe that some members say that their sets don't buzz at all and that they've experienced zero IR... I've experienced the same issues on 3 sets but then again, they are 50" ST50s. Would be interesting to make a poll and see how many people with 50, 55, 60, 65 experience the buzzing and quick IR issues.

Mine is 55". It has already about 1000 hours so I don't think it will get much better than this. It have had that short term IR after first 100 hours without any change in past 900 hours.
post #6584 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

My 65 will be delivered late next week.....Do you guys think i should purchase a phillips no 2 screwdriver and have the delivery people use that instead of a power tool? I've heard that the screws easily strip on these years Panny models but I'm not sure if it's widespread.

Yes, get a #2 Phillips Screwdriver and install the screws yourself - don't let the delivery guys use a power driver. It only takes a few seconds to install the four screws in the back of the TV.

Here is a post of mine from a few months ago about this:

The stand is packed separate. You have to assemble the stand then lower the TV onto the upright part. A few tips about the stand installation on these 2012 models:

(1.) Use a #2 size Phillips Tip Screwdriver - DO NOT USE a smaller #1 size as it doesn't properly fit the slots and it will slip and strip the screw head. The #2 tip fits properly. The screw heads are somewhat soft and some people here have stripped the screw head's slots making it almost impossible to get the screw back out and that can only happen by using too small of a screwdriver tip, or overtightening the screw, or both. I slightly stripped the head of one of my four screws with a #1 tip before realizing the screwdriver was too small. The #2 tip fits properly and works perfectly.

(2.) When you insert the base's upright steel tab into the big slot in the bottom of the TV, leave those four screws slightly loose so when you place the TV on the table or credenza, you can nudge the TV to adjust the amount of left/right lean and level the TV out before tightening those screws. Mine (as well as others here) was leaning badly to one side at first, so i loosened the screws just enough to nudge the TV back to level, then i re-tightened them. You don't need to crank the screws down tight - just snug them firmly. I used two new Post-It note pads under the left and right corners of my TV and they were the perfect height to get both sides dead even.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6585 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 AM

My 65" Panny ST50 is working just great. But I've noticed that the left-center bezel and screen just near the bezel (about 10 square inches) are much hotter than the rest of the screen - hot to the touch!

Also, the left side bezel has pulled away from the screen about 1/16 inch and is pushed off to the side (bowing out) about 1/8 inch. Is the spot heating causing the plastic bezel to delaminate and separate from the screen?

Normal for this set?
post #6586 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Turned on my ST50 just now and it just keeps clicking on and off over and over again with no picture. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it immediately goes into the on again off again clicking noises. This happend a few week ago to my Wife. She called me at work. I told her unplug the HDMI form the DTV box and plug it back in. She idd and it worked. That's not working this time though. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else having this problem?
post #6587 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 AM

My 60" ST50 recently started displaying a series of light yellow "spots" on the screen. These spots show up even when the TV is turned off. I attached a couple of images at the bottom of this post (one close-up, one further away). Is this IR? Dead pixels? I've never owned a plasma before, so I'm not sure what is going on here. There was also a yellow spot in the middle of the screen, but that one seemed to kind of fade away after not very long.

The TV is relatively new (maybe 30-40 hours of viewing time so far), so I hope nothing is wrong with it already frown.gif

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/858/img0027lm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/3333/img0028yxm.jpg
post #6588 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefka95 View Post

My 60" ST50 recently started displaying a series of light yellow "spots" on the screen. These spots show up even when the TV is turned off. I attached a couple of images at the bottom of this post (one close-up, one further away). Is this IR? Dead pixels? I've never owned a plasma before, so I'm not sure what is going on here. There was also a yellow spot in the middle of the screen, but that one seemed to kind of fade away after not very long.
The TV is relatively new (maybe 30-40 hours of viewing time so far), so I hope nothing is wrong with it already frown.gif
http://imageshack.us/a/img23/858/img0027lm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/3333/img0028yxm.jpg

Could it be light reflecting off the wall shining through? I know it's a reach, but I believe I have read similar instances on this forum of people having issues like this which were due to light shining through the vent holes in the back of the TV.

post #6589 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yes, get a #2 Phillips Screwdriver and install the screws yourself - don't let the delivery guys use a power driver. It only takes a few seconds to install the four screws in the back of the TV.
Here is a post of mine from a few months ago about this:
The stand is packed separate. You have to assemble the stand then lower the TV onto the upright part. A few tips about the stand installation on these 2012 models:
(1.) Use a #2 size Phillips Tip Screwdriver - DO NOT USE a smaller #1 size as it doesn't properly fit the slots and it will slip and strip the screw head. The #2 tip fits properly. The screw heads are somewhat soft and some people here have stripped the screw head's slots making it almost impossible to get the screw back out and that can only happen by using too small of a screwdriver tip, or overtightening the screw, or both. I slightly stripped the head of one of my four screws with a #1 tip before realizing the screwdriver was too small. The #2 tip fits properly and works perfectly.
(2.) When you insert the base's upright steel tab into the big slot in the bottom of the TV, leave those four screws slightly loose so when you place the TV on the table or credenza, you can nudge the TV to adjust the amount of left/right lean and level the TV out before tightening those screws. Mine (as well as others here) was leaning badly to one side at first, so i loosened the screws just enough to nudge the TV back to level, then i re-tightened them. You don't need to crank the screws down tight - just snug them firmly. I used two new Post-It note pads under the left and right corners of my TV and they were the perfect height to get both sides dead even.

Thanks Randy. Exactly what I was looking for smile.gif
post #6590 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get around to this. I had been away for awhile.
Hooked up the surround system (well, the front anyways as I am still figuring out a solution for the rear ones in my apartment) and the ARC did not work right out of the box. I had to go into the settings and enable HDMI Control, turn on ARC, and then select an "input" to use for the TV's sound. I changed the input on the ST to Ant/Cable and the AVR automatically switched to said selected input and the TV's sound came through, 5.1 and all. Went into the ST's app's and chose Amazon Instant Video and just moved through the menus a little to see if the beep that plays when moving through the menu comes through and it did! Switched the ST back to HDMI 2 input and the AVR automatically switched over.
As a great Kazahk philosopher once said, "Great success".

Well, one more kink that I had to work out. I think I resolved the issue, at least.

I remember reading when I was researching how to get ARC to work that enabling "HDMI Control" engages VIERA Link (and similar functions by other brands). When I turned off the TV last night it was on Antenna (watching ND vs. OU game) and when I went to turn everything on today (it all came on with one push of the button) there was no sound. After several attempts of turning things on and off I went to check the VIERA Link settings and, sure enough, the default speakers were still set to TV, not Home Theater. So, like I said, I think this fixed it. I won't know til later as I don't want to mess with it now that everything is working.

I will post back when I see if this was the issue and if it has been resolved.

post #6591 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefka95 View Post

My 60" ST50 recently started displaying a series of light yellow "spots" on the screen. These spots show up even when the TV is turned off. I attached a couple of images at the bottom of this post.....

Noticed a similar Bright Spot on our 60ST50 - just this past Friday - in about the same location as shown in your second photo, while Up Close & Personal to the screen when fiddling with blu-ray player.... eek.gif

Will echo suggestion to try turning various lights off - especially any "behind" the screen: The "spot" on our panel was due to the "bias light" shining through the panel. Interestingly, have never noticed that during normal programming.

A similar round of posts made the boards earlier in the year: If you have a Bright Light (or the Sun), shining "downward" at the rear of the screen, you can find bright spots along the upper edge as well.
This seemed an Odd Occurrence when first posted, but was able to readily replicate it with the help of a bright flashlight.

Another possibility - although seems less likely from your photos - would be a Reflection of a light in front of the panel. Due to color problems with several 2011 panels, we took a LOT of photos of panels, and noticed a persistent "bright / colored spot" on the screen when looking at the photos later: turns out this was caused by a Night Light (one of those fancy changing colors LED units) plugged into a wall outlet Way Across The Room!
post #6592 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

Turned on my ST50 just now and it just keeps clicking on and off over and over again with no picture. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it immediately goes into the on again off again clicking noises. This happend a few week ago to my Wife. She called me at work. I told her unplug the HDMI form the DTV box and plug it back in. She idd and it worked. That's not working this time though. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else having this problem?

I called Panasonic support. They had me hold the power button on for 10 seconds, and that does make the clicking stop, but when I let go of the power button the clicking starts again. They scheduled a servicer to come to my home next Friday. Glad I'm sitll under warranty at least.
post #6593 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I called Panasonic support. They had me hold the power button on for 10 seconds, and that does make the clicking stop, but when I let go of the power button the clicking starts again. They scheduled a servicer to come to my home next Friday. Glad I'm sitll under warranty at least.

Frustrating. Hope it works out for you.

post #6594 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frustrating. Hope it works out for you.

Frustrating indeed. To top things off, I had to watch your Browns beat my Chargers. mad.gif
post #6595 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM

More on the 'hot spot' with my new P65ST50. I used an instant-read meat thermometer to take some temps of the screen. ;-)

Average across most of screen: 85 degrees F.

Left edge half-way up: 220 degrees F.

I sent Panny customer service an email inquiry as to if it was normal for this set to have a hot spot. Awaiting response.

Meanwhile, try running your hand slowly along left edge of screen and see if you guys are getting a hot spot.

Set is wall-mounted with a 'slim mount' and bottom of set is only 1" from wall and top is slanted so that top of set is 5" from wall. Hot spot is about 2-1/2 inches from wall. Back of set is warm but not hot. Wall behind set is cool to touch.
post #6596 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTforever View Post

More on the 'hot spot' with my new P65ST50. I used an instant-read meat thermometer to take some temps of the screen. ;-)
Average across most of screen: 85 degrees F.
Left edge half-way up: 220 degrees F.
I sent Panny customer service an email inquiry as to if it was normal for this set to have a hot spot. Awaiting response.
Meanwhile, try running your hand slowly along left edge of screen and see if you guys are getting a hot spot.
Set is wall-mounted with a 'slim mount' and bottom of set is only 1" from wall and top is slanted so that top of set is 5" from wall. Hot spot is about 2-1/2 inches from wall. Back of set is warm but not hot. Wall behind set is cool to touch.

To get an accurate reading a meat themometer needs to be inserted in the meat, SO if you're getting an air temp of 220F that without saying isn't normal. I would hope you turn the set off. Don't operate it with obviously something that wrong or you'll just do more damage and even run the risk of starting a fire. I don't have the right kind of device to get an accurate measurement, but for sure the screen is just barely warm to the touch which is normal. If you heven't already turn the set off and then pull the plug. Better safe than sorry.

You probably don't want to hear it, but I once had a old style modem catch on fire. I was in the kitchen about 30 feet away from the den, the smoke detector went off, I smelled smoke, and by the time I walked back to the den there was arid thick smoke, sparks coming out of the modem case and the case was starting to melt.
post #6597 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Frustrating indeed. To top things off, I had to watch your Browns beat my Chargers. mad.gif

Yes, not only do the Browns look better on the ST50, but apparently they also play better. wink.gif They're 2-1 since I got the TV. biggrin.gif

post #6598 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Well, one more kink that I had to work out. I think I resolved the issue, at least.
I remember reading when I was researching how to get ARC to work that enabling "HDMI Control" engages VIERA Link (and similar functions by other brands). When I turned off the TV last night it was on Antenna (watching ND vs. OU game) and when I went to turn everything on today (it all came on with one push of the button) there was no sound. After several attempts of turning things on and off I went to check the VIERA Link settings and, sure enough, the default speakers were still set to TV, not Home Theater. So, like I said, I think this fixed it. I won't know til later as I don't want to mess with it now that everything is working.
I will post back when I see if this was the issue and if it has been resolved.

Got home from the gym, hit the power button on the TV remote (the set was on Antenna when I left after watching football), both the TV and the AVR turned on, and after a couple of seconds the sounds kicked in. So, I hope that I have resolved that issue.

I guess I never anticipated having to go into all of the various devices' menus and selecting Surround Sound/Home Theater. It makes sense in retrospect.

post #6599 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
There haven't been too many calibrations shared. Here is my ISF calibration that was done today. Note, I did the 100 hr slide process and used DNice's settings and instructions initially. The calibration looks much better.

We were able to max out contrast on my set, but not all sets will be able to. Lower the contrast if needed.

65ST50_2D.pdf 379k .pdf file

65ST50 Settings

Custom mode 2D
Color temp Normal
Gamma 2.4
Panel bright Mid
Brightness 53
Contrast 100
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Color Space Normal

Rhi 17
Ghi 7
Bhi -13

Rlow 7
Glow 1
Blow -3

Custom mode 3D
Color temp Warm 1
Gamma 2.4
Panel bright Mid
Brightness 53
Contrast 100
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Color space Normal

Rhi 1
Ghi -4
Bhi -4

Rlow 11
Glow -3
Blow -5
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 65ST50_2D.pdf (378.8 KB, 80 views)
post #6600 of 9986 Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Bhazard: Thank you for sharing your settings. The menu system shows High settings then Low. You list them in the opposite order. I just wanted to make sure the listed settings were correct. Did one of the traveling calibrators work on your set? Can you post some result charts?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page