Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

I have a 65st50 in a dark basement theater room. I followed Dnice's procedures and settings, so the set is on Warm2 and is plenty bright for the dark room it is in. If i set it to Warm1 or Normal, will that make the panel even brighter? and if i set the 3D settings, will the set remember those? or do i need to adjust all of the settings everytime i want to watch a 3D movie? thanks.

The color temperature does not effect the brightness of the set, changing to warm1 or normal will get you farther away from the 6500k standard. Adjusting the contrast would generally yield a brighter picture but you may clip whites so it is a trade off. You should be able to save your 3d settings without having to reinput them.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
ok, i may just leave it as is then on Warm2, thanks.
post #6843 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my 55st50 for a week now and love it. I did have a 55ut50 but exchanged it because of a loud buzz. This one is very quiet. I did notice a small area near the middle of the screen that is just a wee bit brighter than the rest of the panel. I can rarely see it with content, but when the screen is all white, i can just make it out. I first noticed it when using that scrubber thing. Is this a uniformity issue? Will the panel aging even things out? I really don't want to return this unit cause its so quiet. The settings I am using are d-nices so its not overly bright.

melvis
post #6844 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Spizzirri View Post

I have had my 55st50 for a week now and love it. I did have a 55ut50 but exchanged it because of a loud buzz. This one is very quiet. I did notice a small area near the middle of the screen that is just a wee bit brighter than the rest of the panel. I can rarely see it with content, but when the screen is all white, i can just make it out. I first noticed it when using that scrubber thing. Is this a uniformity issue? Will the panel aging even things out? I really don't want to return this unit cause its so quiet. The settings I am using are d-nices so its not overly bright.
melvis

Return it and forget the rest, i got mine and its absolute silenced and with no screen imperfections. I would never try to do anything with simple and obvious defects, just return it and hope for better luck at third time. Write to Panasonic and explain the bad luck of yours, they must improve the quality delivered in the US.

ST50 is a silent and perfect clear picture out of the box, as it was like when it got to my place, if its not like it dont expect to get better from a factory or transport defect.

When you get the next one, mount it and leave it unplugged from power for 3 or 4 hours before connecting the power cable and turning it on. It was the only special detail that i got from the Panasonic reseller, leave it resting before connecting the power cable. They sell this in Europe like candy, if its a specific area thats no good it wont get better with simple slides or tv use.
post #6845 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Spizzirri View Post

melvis
Unfortunately you are taking your chances if you return it. Some people are saying that they are getting harder to find too. I would run it constantly up to your exchange date and see if it helps. Run the slides when not viewing if you have them. If it is something you can live with, keep it. If not return or exchange.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6846 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Liked: 11
Hello. Im new to this forum, but Ive read every page so I wont ask if anyone has calibration settings or who D-Nice is or where to find him.lol
I got my 55st50 delivered today at 10:45 am from CEVA and it was ordered Thursday 11-2 from Amazon (I love Amazon smile.gif ) Ive had it on for a little over 3 hours now (decided against slides) and have heard zero buzz, no dead pixels (checked with white slide), and is not getting hot: just a little warm. And an incredible picture too!!
My last tv was a Samsung PN59D6500 that I broke. I thought that tv had a good picture until today!! That tv was also like a furnace and had buzz, but it was very directional buzz. I tried the 2011 Samsung Blutooth glasses with the ST50; they synched fine but the image had no dimension through the glasses.
I have read that this tv has bad sound. I think its fine though, nothing special, just gets the job done.
So far so good (fingers crossed and knock on wood) biggrin.gif

P.S. I forgot to mention, tv was ice cold when unpacked so I let it sit for 3 hours before I set up or plugged it in
grik likes this.
post #6847 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Yup, the resting on stand for a couple of hours before powering to the plug seems to be consistent with good picture and no anomalies on screen.

Guys, just try it when you replace for a new one. I didn't do the slides and im having great results too. Just try it different approach with the next one.
post #6848 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grik View Post

Yup, the resting on stand for a couple of hours before powering to the plug seems to be consistent with good picture and no anomalies on screen.
Guys, just try it when you replace for a new one. I didn't do the slides and im having great results too. Just try it different approach with the next one.

What about IR?
post #6849 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM

No IR at all, i avoided watching movies with black bars, but even with channel logos never ever saw an IR whatsoever.

Im a noob here in this forum and on this subject but iv been reading the posts here and seem consistent with my experience with this TV set, witch is:

- When the ST50 arrives at your place and is in position and fully mounted leave it resting for 3 or 4 hours on stand before plugging the power cable on the TV, just be patient, this seems important that i was told by a Panasonic close reseller.
- Dont do the slides, its working great here and most the successful cases here that i read didn't do the slides. (at least the ones reported).

It could not be related but try a different tactic 'if you are not winning' even with 1 or 2 replacements sets most of you are doing the same, try this 2 advices for the first 100 hours.

The Buzz (as close as an ear distance to the top of the screen and back) is absolute None and also no IR issues till today (first 100 hours) if you have any of those you have defected product just replace, of course i had the sensibility not see the same picture with logos or black tiles.

Just use the TV normally and avoid the black tiles movies for the first 2 weeks or so.
post #6850 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
i used slides and my picture turned out great, with no IR or burn-in
grik likes this.
post #6851 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

i used slides and my picture turned out great, with no IR or burn-in
+1

post #6852 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Liked: 13
Ok I was playing around with the settings and the Disney wow disc and started adjusting the contrast. The disc wants me to be at 100 contrast, but I'm not so sure about setting it that high. Will putting the contrast that high make me more prone to burn in or affect the television in any way?
post #6853 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

Ok I was playing around with the settings and the Disney wow disc and started adjusting the contrast. The disc wants me to be at 100 contrast, but I'm not so sure about setting it that high. Will putting the contrast that high make me more prone to burn in or affect the television in any way?
The Disney WoW contrast test pattern isn't very useful IMO. Contrast sets the peak brightness; you usually want to set Contrast as high as possible until you start to see white detail being crushed/clipped, or you start to see color shifting or experience eye strain. On these 2012 Pannys, just set the Contrast to a comfortable brightness for your room's lighting conditions.
post #6854 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM

Ok I'm a little of a novice when it comes to calibration. The tv looks great, but I'm not sure what you mean by clipping or color shift.
In your opinion would you lower the contrast?
post #6855 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

99% of video uses a video range of 16-235, where 16 is video black and 235 is video white. Contrast sets the peak brightness of your set. On some displays, setting the contrast too high will cause certain levels in the upper part of the video range to be crushed or clipped, meaning certain white details in the upper end of the range will disappear. Setting the contrast too high can also cause white details to change color (usually pink or orange). This is more easily seen on white clipping test patterns, such as the one on the AVSHD709 white clipping test pattern.

The AVSHD709 test pattern displays white bars which represent levels ranging from 230 - 253. The reason it displays levels beyond 235 (whiter-than-white, or WTW) is because when you set Contrast, you generally want to have all of the bars flashing without any color shifting, just in case there are any videos out there that are displaying WTW information. But it's OK if you only have 235 and below flashing without any negative effects.

On these 2012 Panny's, you can set the contrast to 100 without much trouble; but I would only set the contrast beyond 84-86 if your viewing environment is bright. 86 and below should be more than enough for a dark or moderately lit room.

All of that information is just for future reference. For your ST50, again, just set the Contrast to a comfortable level for your viewing environment where you don't experience eye strain.
grik likes this.
post #6856 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to bring it back down some. I plan on getting it professionally calibrated, but I want to sell my house first and get situated in a new house before I spend the money
post #6857 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM

hello everybody!
Just received my 65st50 today and got quick question
I hang panny on wall mount with running slides and put old 52" sharp on stand below plasma.
Question:can I still watch on sharp which is 8" in front of and 2 feets lower?
Is watching on lcd can affect somehow front panel of plasma?
what you guys think?thanks for any respone!

post #6858 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurens View Post

hello everybody!
Just received my 65st50 today and got quick question
I hang panny on wall mount with running slides and put old 52" sharp on stand below plasma.
Question:can I still watch on sharp which is 8" in front of and 2 feets lower?
Is watching on lcd can affect somehow front panel of plasma?
what you guys think?thanks for any respone!
It will do no harm. I would run a fan pointed at the ST just to be certain it stays cool.
kurens likes this.

post #6859 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Thanks Rahzel and Dierkdr.
Are there any ST50 owners out there that have no pixel noise on their sets while checking right up close to the screen that's playing content? The amount of noise that's on my 65ST50 has been really bugging me sitting about 9.5 feet back and completely horrendous when I inspect it up close. I just want to make sure that mine is as close to normal as everybody's out there and I'll be shocked if anyone says otherwise. Thanks for checking biggrin.gif

Anyone? I passed by sears on my work today and inspected their 50ST50 that was on display and was really surprised. There wasn't as much pixel noise as clearly visible on my 65 and the pic looked good because of it. Is the 65 more susceptible or do I have a bad set?
post #6860 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It will do no harm. I would run a fan pointed at the ST just to be certain it stays cool.

Thanks Mr.James.lol.

post #6861 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone? I passed by sears on my work today and inspected their 50ST50 that was on display and was really surprised. There wasn't as much pixel noise as clearly visible on my 65 and the pic looked good because of it. Is the 65 more susceptible or do I have a bad set?
All I can offer is that as a general rule, smaller screens almost always have a better picture on the same model. It becomes increasingly difficult to get the same super sharp PQ as the screen size gets bigger.

post #6862 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Hello everyone,

My Mitsu DLP burnt up a bulb after 6 months of use and, instead of going through that again, I figured it was time for an upgrade. smile.gif I've had the 60ST50 in my amazon.com cart for some time now and I pulled the trigger yesterday. Scheduled delivery is on Friday. I am planning on following the instructions on DNice's calibration technique. Is there anything else that I need to know? The ST will be accompanied by a Sony STR-DA5400ES AVR, Sony BDP-S580, and Miller & Kreisel 750 speaker system. Primary use is for U-Verse watching and Home theater with occasional gaming via X-Box Kinect or Wii console. Thanks for any tips, and in the meantime I'll be sifting through the 200+ pages in this thread. eek.gif
post #6863 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphrider74 View Post

..... I've had the 60ST50 in my amazon.com cart for some time now and I pulled the trigger yesterday. Scheduled delivery is on Friday. I am planning on following the instructions on DNice's calibration technique. Is there anything else that I need to know? ....... Primary use is for U-Verse watching and Home theater with occasional gaming via X-Box Kinect or Wii console......

There has been a lot of debate about break-in procedure (prefer to use the term "aging," but the concept is the same).
Even though we do not Exclusively use slides to in our "New Panel Aging Routine," we have done so with earlier panels, and see no inherent problem with the procedure - with one minor quibble: do not believe that "100 hours" is sufficient time to judge the ultimate PQ of a 2011 / 2012 Panasonic plasma.

One respected (to the best of my knowledge) B&M store will - for a fee - age your panel for 150 hours, and then have it professionally calibrated before shipping.
And there have been a handful of posts stating that Panasonic recommends 250 hours prior to doing a calibration on one of their Professional panels.

Finally, and FWIW, we were told EARLY in 2012, by a "real" Pan Svc Tech (not the local service firm), that the (2011) panels required "500 hours to fully settle in."

In our family, we've had experience with 7 2011 Pan plasmas (8 technically, but one arrived with a broken screen....) & one 2012 (our current 60ST50): EVERY ONE of those panels, that were kept Beyond 500 hours, (4 2011s & the 2012) showed improvements in their overall PQ as the panel aged over that time period - or even beyond. (Alas, our two longer term 60ST30s fell prey to a Specific Flaw, even though the panels DID improve in other PQ areas; the 60ST50 replaces the second of those two panels.)

Obviously this is personal opinion, and based upon a limited sample size, but I would encourage you to Deliberately "age" the panel during the Amazon return period, and not "give up" on it too soon, barring some Obvious FLAW.

Please note that while our current aging routine is designed to get the panel (at least....) past the 250 hour mark as quickly as seems reasonable, we will begin watching "normal" - albeit Primarily Full-Screen - content within a few days of ownership, while continuing to run slides / other "aging" content during what would otherwise be "down time" for the panel.

While I DO see the logic behind running 100 to 150 hours of slides - and applaud the generosity of D'Nices posted settings & the attendant prep - we prefer not to wait that long before "enjoying" a new set - and haven't had any blow up on us yet.... eek.gif

Best of luck with your new panel - hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we have ours!

(PS: for all of the family sets that were delivered from Amazon, the delivery crew mounted the panel to the stand, inspected for obvious physical damage, and either actually plugged the set in & made certain it worked, OR signed a form stating that the set was NOT TURNED ON due to having been transported in cold weather - thus providing a degree of safety for the purchaser.)

Up too late watching the election returns - brain getting fuzzy! tongue.gif
post #6864 of 9993 Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 PM

Hi everyone, I am having a problem with getting sound going out from my digital audio out from my ST50 via optical cable to my receiver and through my speakers. I have tried watching netflix and videos through USB (using the built in app/viera tools) and the sound will only come through my TV speakers. My current receiver is the denon 1913, and I have tried playing with the settings on the tv and receiver, but can't seem to get it to work. I have tried multiple optical cables; any ideas or advice???
post #6865 of 9993 Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 AM

So, awhile back a fellow named Frankie was complaining about having a blurry picture when playing games on his PS3 due to them being 720p. Seems I got a set with the same problem. I made a video so you can see what it looks like in action. My camera is crappy so I used still pictures to demonstrate but the issue shows up in motion as well. I don't have cable but I noticed the same problem with my PC as well so it isn't a PS3 issue.

http://youtu.be/Pnn28cu2jHY

Assuming this is just a scaling problem is there anyway to turn the TV scaling off? The other question I have is if a technician is sent out is this something he can fix on site?
post #6866 of 9993 Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeeeric View Post

Hi everyone, I am having a problem with getting sound going out from my digital audio out from my ST50 via optical cable to my receiver and through my speakers. I have tried watching netflix and videos through USB (using the built in app/viera tools) and the sound will only come through my TV speakers. My current receiver is the denon 1913, and I have tried playing with the settings on the tv and receiver, but can't seem to get it to work. I have tried multiple optical cables; any ideas or advice???

Did you try changing the default speakers on the TV/VIERA Link to Theater/Home Theater?

post #6867 of 9993 Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:

I haven't noticed any noise on mine when i was right up close to it. I can check again when i get home and try to find a bright/white picture, but so far mine is pretty quiet
grik likes this.
post #6868 of 9993 Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All plasmas have what is called dither, and the 2012 panny's have slightly more than usual. It will probably be more noticeable on larger screens. I can only notice it if I'm within ~3ft from the 60ST50. The benefit of added dither, is reduced banding and smoother gradations.

If it's only bothersome on black/dark areas of the image, then it could mean that your brightness setting is simply set too high. To demonstrate this, go to any black screen (start of a movie, end credits etc.,) and start turning up the brightness control. Brightness should be set with a pluge pattern. The AVSHD709 or GCD calibration discs are good free options.
post #6869 of 9993 Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEHD View Post

Did you try changing the default speakers on the TV/VIERA Link to Theater/Home Theater?
That is unnecessary for sound via optical cable.

post #6870 of 9993 Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mishima View Post

So, awhile back a fellow named Frankie was complaining about having a blurry picture when playing games on his PS3 due to them being 720p.

Assuming this is just a scaling problem is there anyway to turn the TV scaling off? The other question I have is if a technician is sent out is this something he can fix on site?

If memory serves he ended purchasing an external VP to solve his issue.

No, you cannot turn off the video processing, but you can use an external VP that will bypass the ST50 internal scaler.

I highly doubt a tech would be able to do much with this issue.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page